What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (2 Viewers)

Had a Victory Java Cask last night. Real good, but a bit of alcohol bite. Not quite elite, but can't argue with it. Tonight, Dark Horse Smells like Weed tonight. 

Drunk, can't remember all I've had but started with Nature's Candy and am now on a Mad Flavor. Liked Nature's Candy much better.

update???
Seemed to hold up pretty good.  Not much of a head or carbonation but man did it pack a punch.  Took me a while to work on it.  I think it was better fresh, but still enjoyed it.

With a daughter going to high school in the fall my wife said I need to look at reducing the cellared beers before her and some punk boys steal my beers.  I would chop a kids nuts off if he stole my Bourbon County RARE or 2007 Bourbon County.  Needless to say been working on some oldies in my basement.

Went to Dark Lord Day and outside of the constant rain and long lines for food, it was fantastic. Plenty of generous folks sharing whatever they had. While in the entrance line a guy gave our group 6 cans of Heady, asking for nothing in return. That's what that fest is all about. Was also lucky enough to sample via shares or guest taps DB Huna, Life is Like..., Sherry Zuckov, Cycle Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, MBCP, BA Abraxas. The guest taps this year were disappointing. Not a lot of big guns like years past.

Went to Dark Lord Day and outside of the constant rain and long lines for food, it was fantastic. Plenty of generous folks sharing whatever they had. While in the entrance line a guy gave our group 6 cans of Heady, asking for nothing in return. That's what that fest is all about. Was also lucky enough to sample via shares or guest taps DB Huna, Life is Like..., Sherry Zuckov, Cycle Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, MBCP, BA Abraxas. The guest taps this year were disappointing. Not a lot of big guns like years past.
I went in 2009, 2010 and 2011, had a BLAST each year.  Met a guy who drove from Toronto who showed up without tickets, without a place to stay, and with only a 6 pack of beer only available in Toronto (so he claimed).  While in line he was able to purchase a ticket for face value, get the Dark Lord, then we kept hooking him up with all the great beers our group brought.

I have a Dark Lord from 2009 through 2015, need to find a way to get a 2016.

Guess, I need to find a trading partner on Beeradvocate.

I will be in Boston next Friday and then will be heading north to Oqunquit for the weekend.  I am going to try and find some Heady Topper and I have heard good things about Maine Beer Company.  What other juicy IPA's do I need to seek out?

berndog said:
I will be in Boston next Friday and then will be heading north to Oqunquit for the weekend.  I am going to try and find some Heady Topper and I have heard good things about Maine Beer Company.  What other juicy IPA's do I need to seek out?
If youre in Boston DO NOT miss going to Trillium and get ANY of their hoppy stuff (especially the Dry Hopped/Double Dry Hopped stuff). They make some of the best juicy hop bombs in the country. All they sell are 750ml bottles and growlers. No samples at Fort Point 

Current bottles (website is always accurate and updated): http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/

Definitely get the Mosaic Dry Hopped Fort Point, DDH Melcher St, and DDH Summer St

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasy_Freak said:
I went in 2009, 2010 and 2011, had a BLAST each year.  Met a guy who drove from Toronto who showed up without tickets, without a place to stay, and with only a 6 pack of beer only available in Toronto (so he claimed).  While in line he was able to purchase a ticket for face value, get the Dark Lord, then we kept hooking him up with all the great beers our group brought.

I have a Dark Lord from 2009 through 2015, need to find a way to get a 2016.

Guess, I need to find a trading partner on Beeradvocate.
Jealous. I want to get there sometime but to date haven't done so. I've been trying to score some Dark Lord from ANY year and haven't been able to find someone who willing to trade.  :(

Just by fluke I stopped in FFF this past Sunday and they were tearing everything down from the previous days festivity. Picked up a few cases of Zombie Dust and some bombers of Wigsplitter.

Ocelot Home Ipa

Ocelot Wicked Garden iipa

loved the home.  Wicked garden is damn good too.
A buddy and I were there. Guess I should have posted in this thread instead of the Washington DC one. I might be the only person on Earth who doesn't like IPAs. I had 10oz pours of Broken (Red), Undamaged (Nitro Stout), Sunnyside Dweller (Pils), and Guilty (Vienna Lager).

Jealous. I want to get there sometime but to date haven't done so. I've been trying to score some Dark Lord from ANY year and haven't been able to find someone who willing to trade.  :(

Just by fluke I stopped in FFF this past Sunday and they were tearing everything down from the previous days festivity. Picked up a few cases of Zombie Dust and some bombers of Wigsplitter.
Dark Lord the beer isn't really anything truly special any more IMO.  It was years ago, but it's just a good big sweet stout at this point.  There are similar beers out there that are much easier to get, and much better beers out there if you really want to make an effort.  Yeah, of course it's a "gotta check that box" type beer, but the rest of the world has caught up (and surpassed it IMO in some cases).

Dark Lord the beer isn't really anything truly special any more IMO.  It was years ago, but it's just a good big sweet stout at this point.  There are similar beers out there that are much easier to get, and much better beers out there if you really want to make an effort.  Yeah, of course it's a "gotta check that box" type beer, but the rest of the world has caught up (and surpassed it IMO in some cases).
Yeah, it's definitely a box I need to check. I'd be surprised if it lived up to expectations but then again it might depend on the year/variant.

Out of curiosity what are some that you'd recommend that are similar or surpass DL?

Yeah, it's definitely a box I need to check. I'd be surprised if it lived up to expectations but then again it might depend on the year/variant.

Out of curiosity what are some that you'd recommend that are similar or surpass DL?
I personally am a fan of barrel character -- so BCBS, KBS / CBS, Parabola, BA Plead the 5th, Black Note, The Bruery "days of the week" stouts.  In terms of non-BA adjunct stouts -- Prairie BOMB!, FBS, Abraxas, Speedway, Morning Delight.  Some of those are harder to find than others, obviously, but they're all in the same class as DL.  I'm sure others here can add to the list -- I just pulled that off the top of my head and I'm sure I missed something.

I personally am a fan of barrel character -- so BCBS, KBS / CBS, Parabola, BA Plead the 5th, Black Note, The Bruery "days of the week" stouts.  In terms of non-BA adjunct stouts -- Prairie BOMB!, FBS, Abraxas, Speedway, Morning Delight.  Some of those are harder to find than others, obviously, but they're all in the same class as DL.  I'm sure others here can add to the list -- I just pulled that off the top of my head and I'm sure I missed something.
Thanks I've had some of those but not all. One that comes to mind is the Founders Stout With Coffee Beans And Maple Bacon. Fantastic. There's also a small local brewery here in Cincy called Triple Digit with an offering called Cincinnatus that's top notch.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks I've had some of those but not all. One that comes to mind is the Founders Stout With Coffee Beans And Maple Bacon. Fantastic. There's also a small local brewery here in Cincy called Triple Digit with an offering called Cincinnatus that's top notch.

Thanks for the suggestions.
No worries, always glad to talk beer.  You're probably thinking of Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout -- and yeah, it's spectacular.  Also highly recommend their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout).  Founder's Breakfast Stout is a shelf beer, and also very good, if not barrel aged -- lots of coffee and chocolate.  If looking for a non-adjunct stout that you can easily go grab off of a shelf, Founder's Imperial or Bell's Expedition Stout are top notch.

I'm not a huge stout aficionado compared to a few other guys in here, so they'll probably have more / better insight to share.

A buddy and I were there. Guess I should have posted in this thread instead of the Washington DC one. I might be the only person on Earth who doesn't like IPAs. I had 10oz pours of Broken (Red), Undamaged (Nitro Stout), Sunnyside Dweller (Pils), and Guilty (Vienna Lager).
are you a defense contractor who told me about his nephew having trouble meeting girls and selling your laptop in Ebay even though you had just lent it to his mother?

My oldest daughter is having her 11th birthday sleepover tonight, so I'm on crowd control for a giant pack of pre-teen girls.  Getting ready to grill some hot dogs for them.  Pray for me.

Oh, and I left the office early and have been pounding Oberon since about 3:00.  Prolly need something a little bigger later to get through the night.

Ran into a Saint Arnold's Bishop Barrel 11 out at the bar, it's  DIPA aged in gin barrels.  Sounds weird but gin and iPad flavors go together surprisingly well.

Ran into a Saint Arnold's Bishop Barrel 11 out at the bar, it's  DIPA aged in gin barrels.  Sounds weird but gin and iPad flavors go together surprisingly well.
Interesting -- I'd think that the hop profile would be blunted pretty dramatically by the aging process.  Never had a BA IPA but would definitely like to try one.

Interesting -- I'd think that the hop profile would be blunted pretty dramatically by the aging process.  Never had a BA IPA but would definitely like to try one.
You're right, it's mellowed out by the BA for sure.  However I think its more wood than gin that supplanted the hops, though they are still around of course.  The gin flavors play a supportive role.

Living near the brewery I've tried most of them, like everyone lately bourbon barrel everything.  Which is great don't get me wrong.

But their best was #2 which was an old ale aged in chardonnay barrels with cherries.  Very different which I appreciate.

Had a GreenBush Rage tonight, with 3 more in the fridge. It's a huge beer at 14.6% black Imperial IPA. Tastes nothing like an IPA. At all. It's more like a ******* child of a BA stout and a Barleywine without the sweetness or hops, exceptionally boozy. It was bitter but very odd. I will not be having another, maybe try it after it ages for another year or so, but at that point any IPA character will be gone.

You're right, it's mellowed out by the BA for sure.  However I think its more wood than gin that supplanted the hops, though they are still around of course.  The gin flavors play a supportive role.

Living near the brewery I've tried most of them, like everyone lately bourbon barrel everything.  Which is great don't get me wrong.

But their best was #2 which was an old ale aged in chardonnay barrels with cherries.  Very different which I appreciate.
I love wine barrel sours aged on fruit.  :thumbup:

Tank 7 and then back to Oberon.  $26 / case at Costco currently -- guessing it'll be my go to all spring assuming they keep it in stock.

I would put Zombie Dust in this bucket too, although I still like it. 

That said, drinking an Alpha King right now. It's been awhile so figured why not and it's different from the piles of Vallejo I have been putting back. 

I would put Zombie Dust in this bucket too, although I still like it. 

That said, drinking an Alpha King right now. It's been awhile so figured why not and it's different from the piles of Vallejo I have been putting back. 
Agreed.  I do drink a lot of ZD -- but if my office wasn't a few minutes from FFF I doubt that I'd actually chase it.  Just too many easily available "very good" APAs / IPAs out there to really work to get any single one of them.

ditka85 said:
Also went this year. We were Group C and were waiting on our driver so didn't get there until about 3:30. We got our allocation and dropped it off with the driver and went back in. You're right in that the rain sucked. It never let up but the $20 i spent on rain gear was a life saver. Waterproof boots, etc and I was good to go. 

I also agree the guest taps were "meh" at best. Last year DL was on tap in at least one tent. This year it was mostly shelf beers, although Lazer Snake was a surprise. As far as guest taps I was able to get some Jackie O's BBA Dark Apparition with coffee and vanilla that was awesome. Also had a few other BBA beers from Jackie O's and Dark Horse. Where we had the most fun was the share and that happened by accident. No OMG whalezbro but it was just good stuff. I did have some IPA in a crowler from the Washington DC area that impressed the #### out of me. I have no idea what it was though. Most people were cool as hell. Saw some seriously drunk people starting #### but for the most part that was the exception. I don't know how many times people would walk up and ask if I had ever had "insert beer name here". If I said no, they would share what they had. If i said yes, they would share what they had. All around awesome time. 

Was hoping for BBA DL as the variant. Didn't get that. Got Dwarven Power Bottom (DL aged in muscat barrels) and my brother got Trump and Pump (DL aged in Sauternes barrels). I am sure it will add to the sweetness but I won't know until next year when I open mine. 

so, I tried the 2013 BCBS over the weekend. this is now my top beer. loved it which really stinks as I've been trying to go cheaper lately with 6ers in the $12-15 range and the BCBS has ruined it for me.  

Had some Galaxy Pale Ale from Ocelot on Sunday (at least I think it was Galaxy). @Sebowski - did you guys brew a bunch of this? I was surprised it was on tap at my local...

so, I tried the 2013 BCBS over the weekend. this is now my top beer. loved it which really stinks as I've been trying to go cheaper lately with 6ers in the $12-15 range and the BCBS has ruined it for me.  
Well, the silver lining is that you can't exactly walk into a store and just buy BCBS.

If youre in Boston DO NOT miss going to Trillium and get ANY of their hoppy stuff (especially the Dry Hopped/Double Dry Hopped stuff). They make some of the best juicy hop bombs in the country. All they sell are 750ml bottles and growlers. No samples at Fort Point 

Current bottles (website is always accurate and updated): http://www.trilliumbrewing.com/

Definitely get the Mosaic Dry Hopped Fort Point, DDH Melcher St, and DDH Summer St
I will definitely go to Trillium.  Any other New England beers I should seek out will I am in the area?

Had some Galaxy Pale Ale from Ocelot on Sunday (at least I think it was Galaxy). @Sebowski - did you guys brew a bunch of this? I was surprised it was on tap at my local...
Yeah, that would be our single hop American Pale Ale series, Reissue. That is one that should get a decent amount of distribution. One of our most underrated beers. 

thanks for cheering me up friend...the glass is half full after all 
:lmao:

Explaining a couple hundred dollar beer purchase to the wife is much easier if it only happens a few times a year in my experience.  I tend to agree that BCBS is the gold standard -- but there are other really good BBA stouts out there to tide you over.  And unless you want really old bottles or variants, BCBS isn't a hard trade to pull off on www.beeradvocate.com, so there's that.

:lmao:

Explaining a couple hundred dollar beer purchase to the wife is much easier if it only happens a few times a year in my experience.  I tend to agree that BCBS is the gold standard -- but there are other really good BBA stouts out there to tide you over.  And unless you want really old bottles or variants, BCBS isn't a hard trade to pull off on www.beeradvocate.com, so there's that.
yeah I am/was definitely trying to cut the budget down a bunch. it's crazy how easy it is to get to a couple hundred bucks. I've been spoiled though and my tastes are too high. right now I think i'll probably cut down the amount of days i have a beer but make the days I do be more enjoyable with the lkies of what you said with the Big Bad Baptists, Event Horizon, etc of the world. 

Helped my 1st grader with his project and desperately needs a beer after that mess. Watched the last of the hockey game tonight with a 2015 KBS and about to take my first drink of my 2014 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout.

Fantasy_Freak said:
Helped my 1st grader with his project and desperately needs a beer after that mess. Watched the last of the hockey game tonight with a 2015 KBS and about to take my first drink of my 2014 Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Cherry Stout.
Damnit. I came in here to escape stupid ####### hockey. What a ####ty sport. Year after year the best teams all year don't win. The regular season is a total joke. Worse than preseason nfl. #### hockey.

Damnit. I came in here to escape stupid ####### hockey. What a ####ty sport. Year after year the best teams all year don't win. The regular season is a total joke. Worse than preseason nfl. #### hockey.
Much like the NFL, its all about who gets hot during the postseason.

Users who are viewing this thread