What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Ned

Footballguy
For those of you who haven't seen it, they had to archive our old thread because we were too awesome and brought the board to it's knees.  Explanation     Archived thread

Strava Team Pagehttps://www.strava.com/clubs/TeamFFA

Epic Race Reports
=======================

2017 - Duck Western States

Popular Gear we use
=======================
WATCHES/HR MONITORS
Garmin 105, 305, 405, 605, 910
TomTom Runner Cardio or multisport (built in HR monitor - no chest strap needed)
Mio Fuse HR monitor - strap on wrist instead of chest

WATER/FUEL
Nathan's hydration belts - various models
Amphipod air hydration belt
Many different hand held bottles
Camelback
Gu Gel or Chomps
Hammer Gel

Miscellaneous
Calf sleeves - 2XU or Zensah

Resources
=======================
FBG Race Calendar    McMillan Pace Calculator  538 Pace Calculator  Athlinks    

Training Approaches
=======================
Hadd's approach to distance training    Advanced Marathoning    Hanson's Marathon Method    Maffetone HR Training    Ned's HR Post   Slow Twitch (BarryP)

Podcasts
=======================
Endurance Planet

Terminology
=======================
Sand: verb
To start a race at an abnormally fast pace that leaves you gasping for air by the time you're 1/3 of the way through the race.  Example: "I sanded the living hell out of that 5K!  My splits were 6:01, 7:15, 7:55."

Chu: verb
To run down your opponents and beat them into submission. Example: "I saw Meb up ahead at mile 24 and he looked like he was hurting.  At mile 25 I Chued him up and dropped him like Crabtree drops passes."

HTFU: Stands for "Harden The F### Up".  Example: "ChiefD needs to HTFU and stop whining."

Suck Index = temperature + dew point. The higher it is, the more it's gonna suck:
>160 - getting dangerous.
150-159 - just try to survive the workout. 
140-149 - getting pretty miserable.
130-139 - can feel it getting soupy out there, but manageable if you dial the effort back a bit to start. 
120-129 - not too bad; can feel a bit of humidity.
110-119 - feels great; won't affect performance. 
<110 - Heavenly.

FAQ
=======================
What kind of shoes should I wear?  Find a local running company and have them fit you for a pair of shoes.  A good store will have you run/walk for them so they can do a gait analysis.  If you have an old pair of running shoes, bring them in with you so they can read the wear on them.  They'll recommend a style of shoe that fits your gait and have you try on a few different brands to see which feels best.  This is a very important step if you want to have long standing success with running.  Runner's World Shoe Advisor Tool

What training plan should I use?  There are a lot of really good training plans out there.  Listed below are a few of the most popular within our group here....

Couch to 5K    Hal Higdon    

I'm thinking about running a marathon, should I? Yes.  You're a #### for even asking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and thanks Ned for putting this together.

And a question: for the calendar, can we just update it as we want as far as adding a race? Or do I need to send the info to someone?

I'm assuming you want to keep the dates in order?

And a question: for the calendar, can we just update it as we want as far as adding a race? Or do I need to send the info to someone?

Anyone can add/change the sheet whenever they want. Yeah, try to keep the dates in order.

Anyone can add/change the sheet whenever they want. Yeah, try to keep the dates in order.
you can sort by column A after adding your new races to the list.

you can also check the filter now to see just the 13.1 or by a name.

Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8

FUBAR said:
Just got the email saying my request to drop IM CHOO was accepted.

just told the wife I'm signing up for the pinhoti 100. She thinks I'm nuts.

Duck / others, advise please. What should I expect? Training time vs ironman, mental, etc.

It's November 7-8
NICE!! A point-to-point 100, love it.

I obviously can't compare to IM training time, but I would think it would be comparable or maybe even less. But it all depends. I'm relatively low volume at 45-55 miles per week training for my 100 miler, while others are busting out 70-100 per week. Pinhoti isn't mountainous, but with 16K' of vert it's not flat, either. How technical is the course? I don't know a lot about this one.

Random thoughts:

• It's all about specificity, and as you're going to be spending some time power hiking (especially mile 35-40 and mile 73) be sure you mix that in to your training. I just include it in my hilly long runs, but I also go out and do some specific hiking as well, especially on tired legs. If this course is technical, try to get out and train on that kind of terrain.
  • 16,500' of elevation loss = train your quads on downhills. Long downhills, downhill repeats, pushing the downs hard on rolling terrain. I did this a lot and still had quad/IT issues in my race, so I need to do it even more. Of course strength training like <tri-man>lunges<\tri-man> would help as well.
  • Practice running at night, with the light system you're going to use. I like a combo of a headlamp and a handheld as it evens out the shadows and improves depth perception.
You've done IMs, so you're used to being uncomfortable I'd assume. That'll come in very handy.

Obviously I've only done one of these so far, so I still have a ton to learn as well.

Looking forward to following your training!

I met a podiatrist at work today. He was a nice guy although he kept showing me pictures on his phone of old peoples' ugly, scabby, sore infected feet. Anyway, I took the opportunity to ask him about some heel pain I get. I assumed it was an Achilles problem which he confirmed. He showed me an exercise that I saw online already.

He then tells me that the jostling on the body of distance running is bad for my fascia, particularly when done on pavement. Afterwards, looking online, I think he was talking about this. Anyone heard/read about this and running? I'm not really concerned, just curious.

I met a podiatrist at work today. He was a nice guy although he kept showing me pictures on his phone of old peoples' ugly, scabby, sore infected feet. Anyway, I took the opportunity to ask him about some heel pain I get. I assumed it was an Achilles problem which he confirmed. He showed me an exercise that I saw online already.

He then tells me that the jostling on the body of distance running is bad for my fascia, particularly when done on pavement. Afterwards, looking online, I think he was talking about this. Anyone heard/read about this and running? I'm not really concerned, just curious.
Yup, been learning more about this recently. I just finished up the book "Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally" (Fubar, you probably heard the author Kelly Starrett on Endurance Planet recently talking about it). It really focuses on mobility, which ties directly into this topic. There's a ton of mobility exercises and things like lacrosse ball work (think focused rolling), which I've been doing pretty much daily. Fascia health is a big part of what he talks about, all the way down to the hydration mentioned in the article you linked.

I think there's a lot to this - the body is one big kinetic chain, connected by fascia, and issues in one place often manifest themselves somewhere else. Foot pain is often tied to calf issues, knee pain to hip flexor or glute issues, etc. And fascia is what ties all of that stuff together.

Now as for what that podiatrist said, "distance running is bad for fascia", not sure if I'd buy that statement outright. Sounds like a typical MD who's response to a running injury is "stop running" instead of "let's figure out what's causing that."

I type this from my standing workstation, part of my effort to keep my hip flexors from shortening too much (from sitting) and getting too tight, which I know contributes to my occasional IT band issues.

Yup, been learning more about this recently. I just finished up the book "Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally" (Fubar, you probably heard the author Kelly Starrett on Endurance Planet recently talking about it). It really focuses on mobility, which ties directly into this topic. There's a ton of mobility exercises and things like lacrosse ball work (think focused rolling), which I've been doing pretty much daily. Fascia health is a big part of what he talks about, all the way down to the hydration mentioned in the article you linked.

I think there's a lot to this - the body is one big kinetic chain, connected by fascia, and issues in one place often manifest themselves somewhere else. Foot pain is often tied to calf issues, knee pain to hip flexor or glute issues, etc. And fascia is what ties all of that stuff together.

Now as for what that podiatrist said, "distance running is bad for fascia", not sure if I'd buy that statement outright. Sounds like a typical MD who's response to a running injury is "stop running" instead of "let's figure out what's causing that."

I type this from my standing workstation, part of my effort to keep my hip flexors from shortening too much (from sitting) and getting too tight, which I know contributes to my occasional IT band issues.
Yes, I think you are right about the bolded. I don't really blame him. When your patients are mainly a bunch of sick, old people, I can understand how one would view things from a short term perspective. Anyway, it's all very interesting to me too.

After a couple of you mentioned it, I booked an appointment for Massage Envy, which has a rather new location a mile from my house. The guy did a good job ...I was worried about, and focused on my calves, but he mainly found knots in my neck, shoulders, and hammies. I went ahead and committed to a one-year membership. Gotta keep that fascia stretched! :thumbup:

THe kids are finally going back to school tomorrow!!!

Freaking week and 2 days for ice...and the last 2 days it was perfectly clear here...but some other areas were apparently bad.

They go back tomorrow...and in the messages the county talks about some roads still being bad and its up to the bus driver's discretion...so if your road is messed up, better plan on getting your kids to an area the bus can get to or get them to school yourself. They couldn't have done that the last 2 days? Oof.

Now may get snow tomorrow night too so they will probably be out Thursday and Friday too.

Did get a stupid treadmill run in today...an easy 4.5miles.

Looks like my colonoscopy will be delayed again because of the weather. No veggies or fruit three days before, two weeks in a row, now not eating just in case we don't get delayed. #### this.

Got back into running two weeks ago. Back up to 2 miles at a 10 per pace, going for 2.5 next week. Ramp up to 5 before I start quickening the pace. Same way I did a few years ago.

I need to work on my core though, it is weak.

Great stuff Ned! Hopefully I will be able to make use of some of that soon. Stupid calf!
Ugh, feel bad for you..... The hip and now the calf. You're overdue for some good luck!
Ned, I had a really great two-year period with only one minor injury at age 49-50. I was able to train extremely hard and I set every PR I own during that time. I was due for some bad luck.

:blackdot:

Lurked a lot on the old thread but never posted.

Been running for almost a year now.
Welcome to the thread. Some really great, smart, crazy people here. Ask for advice and they will give it.

Another breakthrough!!!

5.46 Mile Run. 147 HR. 10:57 Pace. (in the 10's for an easy run. whohoooooo)

Baby steps, I know. Still excited.
Atta boy. This is when you get hooked....
it also makes it really hard to come back after a long absence... my body and mind remember what it is to go out and bang out fast miles, or just decide to do an easy 45min each way out and back.

but now, new goal-posts and enticements are required as the old numbers are probably years of lots of training away... and I haven't figured what they are enough to get me out the door.

Another breakthrough!!!

it also makes it really hard to come back after a long absence... my body and mind remember what it is to go out and bang out fast miles, or just decide to do an easy 45min each way out and back.

but now, new goal-posts and enticements are required as the old numbers are probably years of lots of training away... and I haven't figured what they are enough to get me out the door.
I am in a similar boat. I was nowhere near some of the paces here, but was hitting 6 miles 4 days a week at 7:30 pace. I just started small and am working toward 5 miles without stopping. I hit that goal and I will work on pace. After I hit a decent pace... I have no idea, hoping the addiction has kicked in by then.

Another breakthrough!!!

I am in a similar boat. I was nowhere near some of the paces here, but was hitting 6 miles 4 days a week at 7:30 pace. I just started small and am working toward 5 miles without stopping. I hit that goal and I will work on pace. After I hit a decent pace... I have no idea, hoping the addiction has kicked in by then.
I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.

Oh, and using a HR monitor. ;)

Another breakthrough!!!

Put away the watch and HRM. Run by feel for a bit. Find a few fun routes and enjoy.

Yup, it's not where you've been it's where you are. Accepting that back in December coming off an injury has gotten me through the first 12 weeks of marathon training feeling healthy and back to where I was, with 7 weeks to build on that.

I battled this many times thru my 20s. I'd always expect to be back into my high school shape and get pissed off when I wasn't or getting injured because I was too fat to run the paces I was trying to run. Now I'm running the marathon at my old HS 5K pace and I think its 100% due to staying active in this thread.
See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.

Another breakthrough!!!

Put away the watch and HRM. Run by feel for a bit. Find a few fun routes and enjoy.
that's the other problem for me- I live in NYC... there aren't many routes, and aren't any routes I haven't run thousands of times.

:violin:

I know none of that matters and I need to get back out there.

Another breakthrough!!!

that's the other problem for me- I live in NYC... there aren't many routes, and aren't any routes I haven't run thousands of times.

:violin:

I know none of that matters and I need to get back out there.
Run down a subway tunnel. Bet you hit record speed marks then.

See here's an advantage I have over many of you, at least mentally - I have no fast days to look back on or compare myself to. And I was fatter at 22 than I am at 42.
:lol:

Kudos for the bolded, btw. :hifive:

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinnier now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).
Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.

Me too. No youth to compare to. I started at 44 and while I am skinner now than at 22 I won't be if I don't get back to training soon. I still eat like a college freshman (and drink like a college senior).
Me 3. I never started running until my mid 30s. The only running time I remember was a mile senior year in high school for that national physical fitness test which I've since bested. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages of a running past, though. In retrospect, I wish I would have joined the cross country team instead of playing soccer.
Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:

Thats funny, I wish I did the opposite. Walked off the varsity soccer team as a freshman and started running cross country instead. I sucked at XC :lol:
Looking back on high school, I can't imagine wanting to be more skinny. XC would have made me invisible from the side.

Users who are viewing this thread