• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hoping everybody's doing well in babyland.

This was almost exactly the point in our first's that the machine started beeping, the room filled up with staff and off we went for an emergency C. 

Eta...and unlike the wizard of oz, DO NOT LOOK BEHIND THE CURTAIN

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Not too much new to report. Hopefully by later today or tonight. Everything is going fine, just slow.

first time around we were at the hospital about 3 hours +/- and had the baby delivered. 2nd time around we were there just over an hour. if we would have had a 3rd, we may not have made it there!

#beatgrue!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

first time around we were at the hospital about 3 hours +/- and had the baby delivered. 2nd time around we were there just over an hour. if we would have had a 3rd, we may not have made it there!

#beatgrue!

You win?

For our first of our two, mrs. tri was in labor for 30 hours ...then they just did a C-section.  But the result was that my son was born on my father's birthday.  Having lost my father to cancer when I was in college, it's been special to have that connection.  And of course, we named our son for my dad.

Back to the "grue's your daddy" watch ...

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

For our first of our two, mrs. tri was in labor for 30 hours ...then they just did a C-section.  But the result was that my son was born on my father's birthday.  Having lost my father to cancer when I was in college, it's been special to have that connection.  And of course, we named our son for my dad.

Love your story.

And I definitely need to get a "Grue's Your Daddy" shirt made.

29 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Love your story.

And I definitely need to get a "Grue's Your Daddy" shirt made.

You could have ####### knitted one by now :rolleyes:

She realizes you hang with a crew who base a fair amount of their life racing against a clock right?

• Laughing 9
3 hours ago, The Iguana said:

#beatgrue!

Yeah, there's a plowed road effect for sure.  Our first was about 14 hours, second about an hour and a half.  For the third, they got my wife in the room, the doctor starts getting ready and says matter-of-factly, "you can push if you feel the urge" - at which point my wife pushes and the baby's head comes out.  Doctor's eyes were as big as dinner plates as he fumbled around trying to get his gloves on.  It was like a cartoon.

• Laughing 3
1 minute ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yeah, there's a plowed road effect for sure.  Our first was about 14 hours, second about an hour and a half.  For the third, they got my wife in the room, the doctor starts getting ready and says matter-of-factly, "you can push if you feel the urge" - at which point my wife pushes and the baby's head comes out.  Doctor's eyes were as big as dinner plates as he fumbled around trying to get his gloves on.  It was like a cartoon.

When I get called into a delivery, the speed with which I show up is determined by how many previous kids have been had. 

First baby -- easy recovery pace.
Second baby -- long run tempo
Third+ baby -- 100yd pace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4
  • Thinking 2

First attempt at one of these, slipping it in (TWSS) amongst baby time...

Overall training and progress (or regression) for the year

I think that I made progress this year, but it’s tough to actually quantify with no racing.  I am at 1322 miles for the year according to Garmin (for some reason Strava shows less, but I can’t find any missing runs) with probably another 25 tacked on before year’s end.  That is a new high for me, substantially beating last year’s previous high of 1188.  I feel like my base is the best it’s ever been, although I haven’t done a whole lot in the way of quality in a long time.

No major injuries this year, although I did have what I assumed to be metatarsalgia in both feet during my half marathon training in the spring, which was threatening to derail my training when covid shut everything down.  The right foot healed almost immediately after dialing back activity, whereas the left one has been more stubborn and still doesn’t feel quite right, but it has basically stayed between irrelevant and minor nuisance level for the back half of the year (much better than it was in the spring).

Race activity (if any)

I raced a 5K in 19:43 on New Year’s Day, which was 5 seconds off my PR from October 2019.  Goal for the April HM was to PR (1:32:45), hopefully at 1:31:xx, which I was feeling pretty good about.  That’s the main reason I was frustrated with my performance in the Thanksgiving event as it felt like a substantial step back, but I’m hopeful there are extenuating bean-related circumstances for that one.

Memories from the spring FBG BMF Race Series and other 10K Thread moments

The series was definitely a big positive for me to keep active and motivated during all the crap going on in the spring.  The culminating weekend of the 5K was the highlight, watching people throw down crazy times one after another.

I’m going to cop out and nominate the thread as a whole for its lovely mix of good-natured ribbing, timely jokes, and helpful advice and encouragement.  On the performances front, our captains from the FBG series stand out – grue for his FKT performance and juxt for his cyborg-like consistency.

Overall mood and training status heading into 2021

I’m an optimist by nature, so I would say my mood is okay, but I do hope we can start seeing the green shoots of a better year soon.  The seemingly never-ending weight of covid combined with poor leadership and partisanship at upper levels of society is always sort of lurking.  Fortunately, I’m able to turn inward to my family for uplift, but hopefully that will be less necessary eventually.

2021 goals, if any (with Covid still lingering)

My Spring 2020 HM is now a Fall 2021 HM, which will be interesting because I usually don’t try to do quality work in the summer, and I do most of my running in the heat.  I will evaluate as we get to late spring, but I see no reason that I can’t get the originally planned PR.  The dream goal would be 1:29:xx, but I think that may have to wait another year or two.  If 5Ks start happening before fall, I might try to ramp up the speedwork and take a shot at sub 19:30, as I worry the biological clock is really ticking on making any more 5K gains.

Happy Holidays everyone, and here's to a lovely 2021!

• Like 3
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, gianmarco said:

When I get called into a delivery, the speed with which I show up is determined by how many previous kids have been had. 

First baby -- easy recovery pace.
Second baby -- long run tempo
Third+ baby -- 100yd pace.

Truth. 

7 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Our first was born six months after my dad passed suddenly and unexpectedly. Floppinho came two weeks early and forced his way outta there, alien-style, on father's day. 

And I figure BY NOW that Mrs grue has got off the pot already. Less go. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/13/2020 at 12:42 PM, tri-man 47 said:

11th Annual Year-End Reports

In this most unusual Covid year, follow Juxt the Rebel's free-form approach or use the following to organize your thoughts:

Overall training and progress (or regression) for the year

Race activity (if any)

Memories from the spring FBG BMF Race Series and other 10K Thread moments

Overall mood and training status heading into 2021

2021 goals, if any (with Covid still lingering)

Last few weeks has been a cluster####. 

Quoting so I can do my report.

• Thanks 1

Bucks lost by a point in OT to the Celtics.  Probably just as well.  Starting the season with a dramatic first win tonight probably would probably caused our guy to argue for baby Giannia (not that 'Gian' name derivations aren't a beautiful thing).

Edited by tri-man 47
  • Laughing 1

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing Christmas gift. :wub:

Edited by gruecd
  • Love 23
34 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Bucks lost by a point in OT to the Celtics.  Probably just as well.  Starting the season with a dramatic first win tonight probably would probably caused our guy to argue for baby Giannia (not that 'Gian' name derivations aren't a beautiful thing).

Giannis choking at the end of OT didn't help his cause.

6 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing Christmas gift. :wub:

Congrats that’s fantastic news, get some rest when you can.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Very cool man, congratulations to you and Mrs. Grue. Merry Christmas indeed!!!

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Awesome - congrats, so excited for you and the Mrs.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Just awesome. You’ll never forget this day. Congrats to you and the missus.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, gruecd said:

We did it!!!

Congrats, GB.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, gruecd said:

:pickle:

A little light with a little extra length.  Lithe.  A dozen years from now she'll be outrunning dad.

Love the name.  Congratulations to mom (and you too)!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

This is awesome.

9 hours ago, gruecd said:

:clap:

Congrats! 🍻🥂🍾

Hopefully you'll be too enamored with her to care when your Packers lose Sunday. :)

• Laughing 2
9 hours ago, gruecd said:

Congrats to you and the fam!  

Edited by bushdocda
Words
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Fantastic grue! And a girl, so awesome. You are going to ❤️ having that little baby girl laying skin to skin on your chest.

(Talking about his newborn daughter, not his wife you pervs. ;))

That's the one drawback, at least for us. While nursing, momma was in full out momma mode. No nookie for a while. Can't really blame her, there's a bit of trauma involved.

Of course, everyone is different 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

And now I'm thinking back to the first birth. I'm pretty sure they jacked up her epidural so she felt nothing, like couldn't even push. It might be faulty memory but for a while the doc was playing puppeteer.😮😕

Edited by -OZ-
13 hours ago, gruecd said:

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

@gruecd, is this the first grandchild on either side?  'cause that, too, is something really special (well, all grandkids are).

Yes, and to be honest, she'll probably be the only one. 

My brother- and sister-in-law have struggled to get pregnant and are both 40ish, and my sister is already 41 and recently married with a step-daughter. I don't know that she and her husband will try to have one of their own anymore at this point.

This whole thing is just surreal. We went through multiple rounds of IUI and three rounds of IVF, the last two of which resulted in miscarried pregnancies (one with twins). For this to have happened spontaneously and during COVID is truly a blessing and a miracle.

Edited by gruecd
  • Love 13
14 minutes ago, gruecd said:

My brother- and sister-in-law have struggled to get pregnant and are both 40ish, and my sister is already 41 and recently married with a step-daughter. I don't know that she and her husband will try to have one of their own anymore at this point.

This whole thing is just surreal. We went through multiple rounds of IUI and three rounds of IVF, the last two of which resulted in miscarried pregnancies (one with twins). For this to have happened spontaneously and during COVID is truly a blessing and a miracle.

I didn’t know any of this back story, really happy for you.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, gruecd said:

With all that, then, little Lenka will be a very special blessing to the grandparents, aunts, and uncles.  Congrats to all of them as well!  Just an unspeakable joy.  They'll all spoil her rotten.

And you need to recognize that you just finished a baby-delivering "race," which means it's about time to post some pics on FB (and/or link them here)!

eta: Alright, then!  :wub:

Edited by tri-man 47
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Well said. 

Many of us take things for granted, especially fertility. (by many, I mean me). So happy for you both right now, it truly is a blessing. I can't imagine the heartbreak of all this, you're a good man Gru. 

• Thanks 1