Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

Crap. Forgot you were a Browns fan.

You guys are gonna destroy us. 

You and that reverse jinx garbage.  I'm tired of it.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Replies 54.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

15 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

It's a pretty great group. 

I'm mostly in the soccer threads...but those guys are the worst.

Yeah, the soccer threads are my 2nd most visited threads.  You and I are the only ones with that in common here with the exception of @ChiefD every once in a while.

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, the soccer threads are my 2nd most visited threads.  You and I are the only ones with that in common here with the exception of @ChiefD every once in a while.

I kid, but that's generally a pretty great group too. We get the occasional hot-take infiltrator that gums up the works, but otherwise some good, knowledgeable and respectful dudes.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

You and that reverse jinx garbage.  I'm tired of it.

Man, I'm being serious. Cleveland is one of those teams that is a matchup problem for the Chiefs. If they commit to the running game and stick with it they will win this game.

Teams tend to panic if the Chiefs go up, which plays right into our hands. But overall, the Browns certainly have a better D than the Chiefs. 

And like I said, if they run it all day, watch out. Upset city.

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Man, I'm being serious. Cleveland is one of those teams that is a matchup problem for the Chiefs. If they commit to the running game and stick with it they will win this game.

Teams tend to panic if the Chiefs go up, which plays right into our hands. But overall, the Browns certainly have a better D than the Chiefs. 

2/10.  Really stinky bait.

Anyway, you guys had your run last year.  It's @MAC_32 and @beer 30's turn.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Oh, and @AAABatteries.  Except he doesn't really run anymore and I'm not even sure if we should include him in the soccer crowd given his allegiances.

14 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

hmmm. I won a decent bet taking the money line on the browns last week. might have to think about doing it again with that hot take from chief... 

Last time I checked the Chiefs were an 8 point favorite. If I was a betting man I'd bet the Browns all day. Chiefs haven't covered in a long time.

You guys think I'm nuts, but I've watched this team all year. They are 14-1 but they are not putting teams away. This game is gonna be a battle.

19 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

No.

• Laughing 1
3 hours ago, The Iguana said:

silly question for my own curiosity but can you see how many posts someone has in here if they aren't in the top 4?

It all depends on whether the posts are officially posted.  If not, they don't exist.

• Laughing 2
3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Oh, and @AAABatteries.  Except he doesn't really run anymore and I'm not even sure if we should include him in the soccer crowd given his allegiances.

Did I ever run?  Seems like a distant dream - hope to be back soon.

That plucky little minnow from the better half of Manchester can go top of the table tomorrow!

The board upgrade definitely made me think about how much time I spend at this place with all you knuckleheads.

37 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

So what’s up with this polar vortex? 10 day forecast by me only gets in the 20s for lows which isn’t bad for mid January.  I read something about it splitting?

Models aren't currently in agreement. Locals indicated tonight nothing of consequence appears likely about 8 days out, but they wouldn't commit beyond that. I'm preparing to peak Thu/Fri then if I have to force one more good one early next week before a plunge then I will before hibernation. 

• Thanks 1

First.   Steelers lost so congrats to @MAC_32.  🙂 

Second. My weight is going down with the Peloton. I’ll be interested in how my fitness translates to running when i get back out there 5-6 days a week which may not be until March.....i hate the cold.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

I just went back and relived the November 9, 2019 from the popular days link at the top.  Pretty cool memory. 

Feels like a lifetime ago considering COVID.

I did the same!

• Love 1

This morning:  "Weather's good, legs don't feel too bad, maybe I can go out and run hard and, for one day, beat those #BMFs @Juxtatarot, @pbm107, and @gruecd at their normal ER paces."

Run hard, do my one-loop circuit in my fastest time ever, and run faster than any run since the FBG 10K in early/mid-2020.  Feel good.

Start scrolling through the usual morning crowd on Strava.  

"Yay, I beat @Juxtatarot's leisurely training pace!"

Then, not one more card after, I get to @pbm107's run.

:kicksrock:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Zasada said:

This morning:  "Weather's good, legs don't feel too bad, maybe I can go out and run hard and, for one day, beat those #BMFs @Juxtatarot, @pbm107, and @gruecd at their normal ER paces."

Run hard, do my one-loop circuit in my fastest time ever, and run faster than any run since the FBG 10K in early/mid-2020.  Feel good.

You definitely ran faster than my easy run pace today.  If it makes you feel any better tempo runs/HMP efforts are my least favorite types of workouts.  I have been dreading this one since I had my first little setback last week where I could only finish 3 of the 4 miles and today's workout was bumping it up to 5 at HMP. Didn't sleep well last night worrying about it, had a tough time getting out the door this morning, after my 1 mile of warmup ran back to the house to use the bathroom. First mile at HMP felt blah, but was good to go after that.

Good job on your run today, try not compare your times to other runners but I know you will.  Yesterday I lost my CR on the loop where I run my workouts to a college kid that I beat in a 1 mile race a couple years ago.  The kid now runs a sub 16 5k and a 1:15 HM.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

You definitely ran faster than my easy run pace today.  If it makes you feel any better tempo runs/HMP efforts are my least favorite types of workouts.  I have been dreading this one since I had my first little setback last week where I could only finish 3 of the 4 miles and today's workout was bumping it up to 5 at HMP. Didn't sleep well last night worrying about it, had a tough time getting out the door this morning, after my 1 mile of warmup ran back to the house to use the bathroom. First mile at HMP felt blah, but was good to go after that.

Good job on your run today, try not compare your times to other runners but I know you will.  Yesterday I lost my CR on the loop where I run my workouts to a college kid that I beat in a 1 mile race a couple years ago.  The kid now runs a sub 16 5k and a 1:15 HM.

Yeah, saw that you really cranked some fast splits this morning.  Those <4min kms were awesome.  Great work.

Early on, I knew that I couldn't compare myself to most in this thread.  I don't put a whole lot of weight into it, except when I want it to motivate me on a morning like today.

And I have a kid in my neighbourhood who runs track for UTA.  14:40 5K.  He'll go out and steal all my neighbourhood CRs on a leisurely training run.  Probably not even notice.

Edited by Zasada
1 hour ago, Zasada said:

I meant to comment on your strava feed... that was a NICE bmf run!

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

I just went back and relived the November 9, 2019 from the popular days link at the top.  Pretty cool memory. 

Feels like a lifetime ago considering COVID.

That was a great day. Oh to be able to do it or something similar again sometime in the near future!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Zasada said:

Yeah, saw that you really cranked some fast splits this morning.  Those <4min kms were awesome.  Great work.

Early on, I knew that I couldn't compare myself to most in this thread.  I don't put a whole lot of weight into it, except when I want it to motivate me on a morning like today.

And I have a kid in my neighbourhood who runs track for UTA.  14:40 5K.  He'll go out and steal all my neighbourhood CRs on a leisurely training run.  Probably not even notice.

There is a kid that I have know since he was wee little now runs for UIndy. He has a lot of runs with titles like "shakeout" that will be 4 miles @ 6:20/mile or "first long run this year" that is 13.1 @ 6:35/mile or one of my favorites - "nice treadmill jog" that is 7 miles @ 6:38/mile. 

• Sad 1
13 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

There is a kid that I have know since he was wee little now runs for UIndy. He has a lot of runs with titles like "shakeout" that will be 4 miles @ 6:20/mile or "first long run this year" that is 13.1 @ 6:35/mile or one of my favorites - "nice treadmill jog" that is 7 miles @ 6:38/mile. 

Yeah this is why I don't follow these kids.  Just crushing to see "didn't have it today" and <7-minute miles...

Then there's 71 year old Gene Dykes layin' this down:

1.7 mile warmup
3min @ 6:33
4min jog (supposed to be 1min, but needed to move to a good start point)
1min @ 6:06, 1min jog
2min @ 6:20, 1min jog
3min @ 6:32, 1min jog
4min @ 6:37, 1min jog
4min @ 6:31, 1min jog
3min @ 6:26, 1min jog
2min @ 6:16, 1min jog
1min @ 5:59, 1min jog
jog for a total of 9.25 miles

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Gonna be 37 in the morning, super excited for this heat wave

40 AND sun today!!! I busted out the tank top and will probably do the same tomorrow.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JShare87 said:

A frigid 52 this morning. Gloves will be worn. 

T&P GB

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
7 hours ago, ChiefD said:

We had 55 today. It was glorious.

Heat wave in KC

40s down here in bama

Not running for ten days makes the next run suck hard. To be frank, I'd give up running entirely right now if I didn't have races on the calendar (mostly virtual) and want to do well in tri. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

After the talk of running fast yesterday, I picked up the pace just a little for the last mile yesterday and was reminded that I have a long way to go to get back to where I was. 

Had a very similar thought and run this am.

Knew I only had a half hour this am, and had wanted to do hill/bridge repeats but lacked the time. Decided to just out and back my bridge, but hit it hard on the way back.

I strava PRed stuff- most importantly the part I usually repeat, where I had the intent of PRing that particular segment. While that feels good, the speed still feels way off. I'll keep at it- and take the collective advice here to log higher weekly totals. But the memory of former times like regular sub 12 2m nags.

• Like 4

I listened to a pod the other day where an elite was discussing looking back on achieved marathon pace and how hard it is to fathom outside of training.  I think it’s universal struggle to compare our ‘peak efforts’ to day to day efforts.  I am continually reminding myself of this as I work back into regularity on the path of returning to and passing prior performances.

Simplest way I stay focused is to put in the work and be glad you did on race day. 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

I listened to a pod the other day where an elite was discussing looking back on achieved marathon pace and how hard it is to fathom outside of training.  I think it’s universal struggle to compare our ‘peak efforts’ to day to day efforts.  I am continually reminding myself of this as I work back into regularity on the path of returning to and passing prior performances.

Simplest way I stay focused is to put in the work and be glad you did on race day. 

I look at my FBG 5K pace and can't comprehend that was actually me running those paces.  Feels like some impostor.

27 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

Yep. It's just hard to imagine that I did a HM averaging 7:30/mile and never doubting that I could do it. But I know that I didn't get to that point overnight nor did I fall from there to here overnight. I'm just enjoying being out there and 'patiently' waiting for some of it to come back. 

• Like 2

I know you guys complain about the wind so thought of you when I read this article

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-simple-dutch-cure-for-stress?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It mainly talks about exercise as a stress reliever and promoting health but it starts by talking about Uitwaaien, which is the Dutch practice of jogging or walking into the wind, especially in the winter, for the purpose of feeling invigorated while relieving stress.  I just found it interesting they have their own word for it.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Just noticed today that I passed 10,000kms run/hiked on Strava.  I have every run I've ever done, except for the very first hike, which was a short one.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I know you guys complain about the wind so thought of you when I read this article

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-simple-dutch-cure-for-stress?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It mainly talks about exercise as a stress reliever and promoting health but it starts by talking about Uitwaaien, which is the Dutch practice of jogging or walking into the wind, especially in the winter, for the purpose of feeling invigorated while relieving stress.  I just found it interesting they have their own word for it.

So, you all, get off the Pelotons and treadmills and go outside! 

• Like 4