What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

I know you guys complain about the wind so thought of you when I read this article

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-simple-dutch-cure-for-stress?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It mainly talks about exercise as a stress reliever and promoting health but it starts by talking about Uitwaaien, which is the Dutch practice of jogging or walking into the wind, especially in the winter, for the purpose of feeling invigorated while relieving stress.  I just found it interesting they have their own word for it.
Never doubt the Dutch, 'cause if you ain't Dutch, you ain't much.  #100%dna  #butaweirdlanguage #theylikedrugsthough

@ChiefD, need an official ruling here...

Felt like I needed to use a bathroom on my run yesterday.  Passed two construction sites with porta potties outside, but in both cases there was a worker sitting in his truck on the jobsite presumably waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive.  

Do you?

a) Just brazenly walk up and use the porta potty away?

b) Approach the worker and ask if it's OK?

c) Keep running and pray for the best?

In both cases, I chose option C, and fortunately for me the moment passed, and I was fine.  

Felt like I needed to use a bathroom on my run yesterday.  Passed two construction sites with porta potties outside, but in both cases there was a worker sitting in his truck on the jobsite presumably waiting for the rest of the crew to arrive.  

Do you?

In both cases, I chose option C, and fortunately for me the moment passed, and I was fine.  
Pretty sure for @ChiefD that C is an automatic disqualification and is never the right answer. 

You chose poorly.

Do you?

I assume the site wasn't fenced in at all?  That changes the dynamic, as the fencing implies a safety consideration, and I respect that.  But for a porta potty that's just 'out there,' I feel option a is OK; option b is kind of awkward.  The logic for both is that if a worker chastised me ("hey, that's our porta-potty!"), I feel like I'd have to ask him to turn in his man-card.  

But I do always wonder, as long as we're looking for @ChiefD to give an official pronouncement - where do outside workers "go?"  Do they all carry a pee bottle in their trucks?  If they gotta 'Zasada,' what's the go-to (no pun intended) location?

Do you?

a) is always the answer.

Let me tell you a story. There was a guy, similar to yourself...or really any of us...who was a runner.  

One day he was out on a run, and started to feel that familiar gurgle...a pot of coffee percolating so to speak.

He runs past a McDonalds, but things have started to calm down. He pushes on. A few miles later, the rumbling starts again. He runs past a Kwik Trip. The guy figures - “well, this doesn’t seem so bad” just as the rumbling subsides. He continues.

3 miles later, the cramping gets a little stronger. Almost like some Braxton-Hicks contractions. Like, you know something is coming but you don’t really know what time. 

He comes across a park. It’s a nice park - kids are playing, hollering.....

There are water fountains there, restrooms, the whole bit. At this point the runner knows he is only 2.5 miles from home, and wants to just try and make it home.

One mile later - the drop happens. The colon gives way, and all of a sudden the exit point starts preparing for birth. 25 steps later - it all comes rushing out without another moments notice.

The runner yells out: “God Dammit.”

All of sudden a voice comes from the clouds:

”What do mean God Dammit? I gave you a McDonalds, a gas station, and a park! When you needed me, I was there.”

So the moral of the story is, God gave you what you needed. And when that happens, you accept with grace and thank Him for watching over you.

You failed, my son. But you won’t - next time.....

God bless @ChiefD

I haven't done any races in a long time but occasionally there are events on Zwift that give you a free t-shirt for your virtual wardrobe and, as a gamer I somehow know this might be important so I'm in. I did a 17 mile event this afternoon and I checked out Spotify before the race and dusted off a playlist I used to use for 5k races. 

It ain't running, but when you got the right song humming in your ears and the sweat is puddling and your heart is maxed and you have your sights on the person in front of you.... It's still pretty g d cool. 

Dead +Rural by Handsome Furs and Age of Consent by New Order clicked at the right time for me. Still finished middle of the pack but I'm trending in the right direction. I'll take it after some leg issues at the end of 2020. 

It ain't running, but when you got the right song humming in your ears and the sweat is puddling and your heart is maxed and you have your sights on the person in front of you.... It's still pretty g d cool. 

Dead +Rural by Handsome Furs and Age of Consent by New Order clicked at the right time for me. Still finished middle of the pack but I'm trending in the right direction. I'll take it after some leg issues at the end of 2020. 
It moved.

As someone who tries to keep a construction site running every day during Covid I’d ask the worker if using the portapottie is ok.

When there isn’t a worldwide pandemic no one will care and A is the answer.

As someone who tries to keep a construction site running every day during Covid I’d ask the worker if using the portapottie is ok.

When there isn’t a worldwide pandemic no one will care and A is the answer.
What kind of stuff do you work on?

I got to use the luxurious spot in Brooklyn Dumbo this am. King of the castle.

For my long run, decided to do an early out 10k at HMP and then take the back easier, but not recovery pace.

After the turn around, I'm going through a quiet part of the Brooklyn waterfront when I hear a bunch of people talking and catching up to me. I'm not going that fast (maybe 8s) but not super slow either, and the rapidity with which I was hearing voices get closer made me think they were on bikes. Nope. Group of about 12 people (including a few women) out for a casual, conversational pace run at around 7 or high 6s. They flew by me, chatting away. Saw them later coming towards me at the end of the Manhattan bridge- they must've taken the Brooklyn bridge over to Manhattan and we're already looping back...still gabbing away.

Made me immediately think of what our thread's elites would sound like if they could train together. It would be a pretty sight.

Wow...some nice runs today. :thumbup:
I was just going to post the same thing!  Impressive stuff.

Mrs. tri and I spent the day with the grandsons while son and DIL shopped and chilled for a while at our place.  My interval work was pulling the boys (2 and 4 y.o.) on a sled back and forth over a small snow pile in the backyard.  

El Floppo said:
What kind of stuff do you work on?

I got to use the luxurious spot in Brooklyn Dumbo this am. King of the castle.
Right now it’s a 90,000 sq ft addition to the building, adding more space for some new manufacturing lines.

Getting to be that time of the year where just getting out the door to run is a bit of a victory, and it's ten times worse this year with all the COVID stuff adding to it.  Keep grinding, fellas.  Trial of miles, miles of trials...
Mid-January to mid-February is the worst. It's important to suck it up these 4 weeks, so when a late winter blast swoops in unplanned rest can be justified.

Mid-January to mid-February is the worst. It's important to suck it up these 4 weeks, so when a late winter blast swoops in unplanned rest can be justified.
For me it's not even about the weather.  It's just the short days and the gray skies and the COVID fatigue and just.....blah.

For me it's not even about the weather.  It's just the short days and the gray skies and the COVID fatigue and just.....blah.
Oh, same here. I got up and just glared outside at least a half dozen times yesterday before I finally suited up and drove to the park. Then I got there and wasn't greeted by the fresh powder I was expecting. We apparently got more snow than the park did 5 miles away where it was a muddy slushy mess. After trudging through a mile and a half of that my foot work got messed up and I needed to take a step in upper high calf deep water to not bite it. So my hour ten minute trot through snow got abbreviated on the fly to 50 minutes of muck.

But, now's the time to grind. Power through a month of this garbage, so when a quick hit of it appears late Feb/early March bailing is an option.

All this.  Nothing worse than gray and darkness setting in by 5pm.  Changing clocks back in the fall is the worst.
Days are getting longer you pansies. I ran last night at 5 and it wasn't even close to dark when I got home. Of course, I only ran 3 miles, but that's besides the point.

It's not getting dark here until about 6 now, and that's getting longer every day.   Cold and wind and snow - I grant you that. But for me, these are the best times to run. No worry about heat and humidity. Just layer up and go.

Days are getting longer you pansies. I ran last night at 5 and it wasn't even close to dark when I got home. Of course, I only ran 3 miles, but that's besides the point.

It's not getting dark here until about 6 now, and that's getting longer every day.   Cold and wind and snow - I grant you that. But for me, these are the best times to run. No worry about heat and humidity. Just layer up and go.
You're 4 hours west of me.  Here, it's still getting dark at 5pm.  It's better than the 4:30 it was recently, but still sucks.

I know what kind of response you're getting the next time you ask for any kind of empathy...

Glad it's not just me.

This AM was rough getting out there...not cold (mid 30s) or wet, just mid-winter blahs. Tough to start the run in the dark...but nice to be out there for sunrise.

I always think of Lance Armstrong talking about riding in the winter...how when he'd see these kind of mornings and want to ditch, he'd think of his competitors not being out there and want to steal miles that they're not getting. Plus the roids.

WFH has alleviated this problem, but my post work run window doesn't open for another couple weeks. But that's less my problem and more this

Yeah sunlight is a big one for me.  I don't mind street running alone in the dark (in DFW, I'm pretty much in the dark all the time for my morning runs, except in Jun/Jul when I start to see whiffs of sunrise just before I'm done).

But trail running alone (and even with someone) in the dark REALLY sucks.  In Calgary at this time of year, the sun doesn't come up until 0830.  So if I planned to start at sunrise, and did three hours, I've shot half the day already with my run.  Just finishing too late.

So I'm starting right now at 0630, and doing almost two of the three hours with a headlamp.  I'm a total freaking coward, and while I'll still get out, it's very unsettling to be alone, in the dark, in the woods, with a headlamp giving me just a few feet of visibility.  Sometimes a shadow will cast funny, or I'll hear movement in the trees, and my HR is no longer in "easy run" territory.

Even better is when I look into the woods and see my headlamp reflecting eyes staring back at me.

"Just deer/cows.", I say.  To convince myself.

The tradeoff of course is that in Jun/Jul the sun rises at 0530.  Usable light by 0500.  Crank out three hours on the trails and be home by 0900. 

I'm not a big fan of this stretch of winter weather, but as Chief notes, the days are getting longer.  I'm also fortunate in that I don't have to rush out the door to start the run at any particular time.  

The worst, though, is a base layer of ice.  Winters here in Chi-town seem to be milder lately, and so the sidewalks and streets have generally stayed clear.  I'll tolerate a lot, but I hate the uncertainty of hidden ice.

I'm not a big fan of this stretch of winter weather, but as Chief notes, the days are getting longer.  I'm also fortunate in that I don't have to rush out the door to start the run at any particular time. 
With WFH, and given the fact that I make my own schedule, I'm generally pretty flexible on time, too.  And the baby is young enough that she doesn't do much besides eat/sleep, so there's not a lot for me to do there, either.  For me at least, it's more a matter of motivation than anything else.  

The worst, though, is a base layer of ice.  Winters here in Chi-town seem to be milder lately, and so the sidewalks and streets have generally stayed clear.  I'll tolerate a lot, but I hate the uncertainty of hidden ice.
Over on this lake they haven't seemed that waythey are. A milder and wetter winter/spring followed by a drier summer/fall - that's been the norm most of the last decade. The storms we get are much more impactful, but in between has generally been conducive to winter running. Our long range says more of the same is ahead - not much sun, high's generally in the 30's, and one potential lake effect event to keep our eyes on. Then we're into February.

We have been really fortunate with the weather around here. There are some benefits with working from home: I am able to sleep in a bit longer or run during lunch, I am eating better (instead of going out for lunch I grill myself a steak most days), and I’m doing my pushups and pull-ups 5 days a week.

Training is going well as I’m in week 8 of a 17 week plan, I think I have an opportunity to get in half PR shape.  I may not be able to find a race around here during March so I might just run a half solo. For New Year’s I decided to cut back on the drinking until May, I am limiting myself to only drinking on Fridays and Saturdays with only 3 drinks each day.  Drinking during the week hasn’t been a real issue for me, but some weekends during Covid I’ve overindulged and I want to see if I get a performance boost from limiting the alcohol.  

All this.  Nothing worse than gray and darkness setting in by 5pm.  Changing clocks back in the fall is the worst.
:whistle:

Weather Today in Fort Mill, SC

53°Feels Like

High / Low

58°/42°

Wind

11 mph

Humidity

34%

Dew Point

28°

Pressure

30.28 in

UV Index

3 of 10

Visibility

10 mi

:whistle:

Weather Today in Fort Mill, SC

53°Feels Like

High / Low

58°/42°

Wind

11 mph

Humidity

34%

Dew Point

28°

Pressure

30.28 in

UV Index

3 of 10

Visibility

10 mi
1. you...get out

2. Congrats on the weather...looks nice

3. Now GTFO with that nice weather

Week 0 update: 11.4 total miles running, +1.77 miles to goal; 160 total pus,  -81.9 pus to goal; 100 total sus, -141.9 sus to goal
Week 1 update: 41.6 total miles running, +9.35 miles to goal; 660 total pus, -146.5 pus to goal; 500 total sus, -224.8 sus to goal
Week 2 update: 63.0 total miles running, +8.12 miles to goal; 1160 total pus, -211.0 pus to goal; 925 total sus, -446.0 sus to goal

Running still on target and then some. Have burned up all of my "days off" for push ups. Have to crank it up a bit on sit ups to get there but doable without doing anything stupid. Add in some weight days, some planking, pretty good effort on stretching and basic core fitness, and it has been a really good month. Starting to feel stronger out on runs and kind of want to 'push it' a little bit but also starting to enjoy some of the slower paces. @gianmarco might be happy to hear that I am averaging the slowest pace this month that I ever have since getting my Garmin. The only exception was October but that was heavily skewed by the trail HM that was about 20% or so of my miles for that month and the slow pace there was not an easy run. 

Feeling like I am in a great place right now. Still have a lot of work to do to even think about getting back to where I was pre-covid but it is a great feeling to be on the right track after a really, really crappy period for far too long. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling like I am in a great place right now. Still have a lot of work to do to even think about getting back to where I was pre-covid but it is a great feeling to be on the right track after a really, really crappy period for far too long. 
Nice work!  So glad to see you running again.  You have a ton of natural talent and, while delayed, a sub-90 HM has to be in your future!

Long weekday run today.  Rain was supposed to hold-off until later in the day, but woke up, looked at the radar, and there was rain coming from the west.  I figured I should be able to get my 2hrs in before it hit.

9C/48F out, so I put on t-shirt/shorts.  No gloves.  

About halfway through, it started to drizzle.  Enough to just wet the sidewalks and me.  Hell though, did that ever freeze me.  Coldest I've been on a run in ages.  Got back and my whole upper body was pink.  It was work to muster the coordination to punch-in the code on the garage door.  

Sat in the hot shower for about 20 minutes after.

Rain sucks.

ChiefD said:

LOOK AT ME!  I'm in a more favorable section of my time zone than you losers!

I'll combine tri-man and pbm's comments though, and say it's been a very favorable running winter here so far.  We typically have a lot of freeze-thaw cycles and usually get enough moisture that for a good part of the winter you're watching like a hawk for any ice spots to make sure you don't wipeout.  After the foot of snow early in the season (which melted quickly), it's been very dry.  Of course, as I type this there's some sort of snow squall going on  :lmao:

As far as the lighting goes, it's about the 2nd week of February that I'm typically able to switch back to evening running here.

Heat wave in KC

40s down here in bama

Not running for ten days makes the next run suck hard. To be frank, I'd give up running entirely right now if I didn't have races on the calendar (mostly virtual) and want to do well in tri. 
A week later, running feels good again.

50s and overcast yesterday, pushed the last few miles and actually enjoyed it.

Not as much as staring at the long black line, but enough where I won't give it up. 

:lmao:

As far as the lighting goes, it's about the 2nd week of February that I'm typically able to switch back to evening running here.
That's the best part of working at home. I can take a long lunch and have no issue with darkness. 

LOOK AT ME!  I'm in a more favorable section of my time zone than you losers!
:oldunsure:  he's pretty much in the middle of the time zone. Of course, I'm in the east as are our wisconsin/ Chicago crew. So it gets darker earlier here. But also light earlier. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread