What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

That's the best part of working at home. I can take a long lunch and have no issue with darkness. 
Agree.  I do have to go into the office off and on, but being able to run over lunch rather than at the crack of dawn this winter has been awesome.

:oldunsure:  he's pretty much in the middle of the time zone. Of course, I'm in the east as are our wisconsin/ Chicago crew. So it gets darker earlier here. But also light earlier. 🤔
:nerd:  You're right as far as the time zone as a whole, but if you look at the thread's distribution of local time vs. solar noon, I think Chief definitely has a later sunset than most of us.  All the Chi/WI, as you mentioned, and pretty much all of the East Coast guys have earlier sunsets.  Xulf (and to a lesser extent MAC) are the other ones that come to mind as being skewed a little later than the thread in general.

Agree.  I do have to go into the office off and on, but being able to run over lunch rather than at the crack of dawn this winter has been awesome.

:nerd:  You're right as far as the time zone as a whole, but if you look at the thread's distribution of local time vs. solar noon, I think Chief definitely has a later sunset than most of us.  All the Chi/WI, as you mentioned, and pretty much all of the East Coast guys have earlier sunsets.  Xulf (and to a lesser extent MAC) are the other ones that come to mind as being skewed a little later than the thread in general.
We're gonna need a map, with time zones and each poster's residence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just woke up from a dream where I ran a crazy ultra (through construction sites, beaches) and came in second behind some Ryan Hall type known commodity. Then I woke up. Off for some intervals.

Felt colder than the 28 the thermometer said. Legs just didn't feel like they could turn over for my intervals.

I'd like to do some different types of speed work where I bring my pace up higher than the 6s I typically hit in my interval workouts. All I can think of is all out sprints with walking/ resting in between...other ideas?

Felt colder than the 28 the thermometer said. Legs just didn't feel like they could turn over for my intervals.

I'd like to do some different types of speed work where I bring my pace up higher than the 6s I typically hit in my interval workouts. All I can think of is all out sprints with walking/ resting in between...other ideas?
Strides?. How Strides Can Help You Run Faster

I've completely forgotten what fartleks are, but remember having done them. Will Google...thanks, mac.
There's no rhyme or reason to them - different speeds, different lengths of time, different rest periods, and most importantly never look at your watch. Otherwise they're just intervals. Open this on a desktop then scroll to the graph at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about.

There's no rhyme or reason to them - different speeds, different lengths of time, different rest periods, and most importantly never look at your watch. Otherwise they're just intervals. Open this on a desktop then scroll to the graph at the bottom and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Yep, just do it however you want.  Another thing people will do is pick some kind of object.  It can be that you you run hard when you see a fire hydrant until you see the next one.  I'll do that occasionally but prefer to just run by feel so that I can recover between each one and still run hard for each fartlek. 

This is from Higdon.  The bolded is my favorite part of it:

Fartlek: Fartlek was developed in Sweden; the word means "speedplay." Fartlek is similar to tempo training in that it features a continuous run that starts and ends slow with fast running in the middle. The difference is that fartlek includes multiple changes of pace over varied (mostly short) distances. Run as you feel. Be creative. Pick out a tree and run hard to it. Ease back into a jog until rested, then pick out another landmark for your next sprint. Hard, easy, hard, easy. You define the tempo by how you feel. It's an enjoyable form of training that can either be your toughest or easiest workout of the week.

Yeah...used to do lamposts fartleks in central park. In my understanding, intervals, but maybe shorter. And maybe faster?

I'll try to throw those in instead of an interval/pacing workout. Thanks!

In case anyone is remotely interested, they are holding the St. Paddy's race that we did last year (me, the wife, and @ChiefD ) in mid-March (March 13th and 14th).  They actually added a marathon on Saturday only and there's a 7K and a HM on both Saturday and Sunday.  They are also doing "risk free" signup where they don't charge you until 2 weeks out in case it cancels.

Likely signing up.  In case anyone has an itch to race, it's not a huge race but an ideal size, pretty course, relatively flat, and should be good weather. 

Creve Coeur St Paddys

In case anyone is remotely interested, they are holding the St. Paddy's race that we did last year (me, the wife, and @ChiefD ) in mid-March (March 13th and 14th).  They actually added a marathon on Saturday only and there's a 7K and a HM on both Saturday and Sunday.  They are also doing "risk free" signup where they don't charge you until 2 weeks out in case it cancels.

Likely signing up.  In case anyone has an itch to race, it's not a huge race but an ideal size, pretty course, relatively flat, and should be good weather. 

Creve Coeur St Paddys
Relatively flat my ###. It's all fine and dandy until you get to that ####### mountain at mile 6 or so where you have to climb it twice - going out and coming in.

:rant:

I'll be there.

We'll be there for hockey again that same weekend.

Whether they be strides, intervals, fartlek ..it all fits with a recent short article in Runner's World about HIIT (high intensity) training - pump up the striding and HR to achieve some solid benefits.  The miles go by much more quickly, too, when you're focused on the start of the next sequence.

Yeah... The interval/pace work I've been doing feels like it's helping. I just had the thought today that I could also just add or focus on the speed part rather than always incorporating it into longer workouts like I've been doing (and thus holding something in reserve... Or maybe I'm doing that part of it wrong)

Late winter forecast calls for above average temperatures.  I'm going to try to run the whole winter outside.  I've never done that before.
You do a lot of it outside anyway, but I'm curious if you notice an unexpected March-ish boost in the effectiveness of your workouts. No matter how many winters I've endured I still need to remind myself not to read too much into bad workouts this time of year. Now that I finally have a HR monitor I also now receive objective information confirming how poor the workout is too. But like clockwork that sudden boost always happens with me the first time we have 3 or 4 days in a row of spring-like weather. Although given your output lately I'm not sure how much of a boost is reasonable  :lol:   

Running has been sporadic lately, but trying to get a few miles in here and there.

For the last two weeks I'm finishing up remodeling the house, so every night I've been painting and such. Changing sockets, light switches, lights, etc. Every room in my house is getting new paint and new fixtures. 

This weekend I'll be tiling the master bathroom, and then next week will be about getting the vanity in, toilet, mirror, all the fixin's.  

So I'm getting in some actual work in, and my body is sore like it hasn't been since I used to be a contractor full time.  Will try and run tonight and Sunday, but gonna skip my long run tomorrow. Tiling will take enough out of me without a 10 miler ahead of that.

Probably will run tonight and then Sunday morning. Things should stabilize once the bathroom is done, which should be next weekend.

I've neglected this house for the last few years as I've picked up my mileage for my running, but it's time to take care of what Mama Chief wants. 

Plus, the house will be ready to sell if we decide to continue down that path. Not sure if that is going to play out quite yet.  She still has her job though, so that's been nice. 

You do a lot of it outside anyway, but I'm curious if you notice an unexpected March-ish boost in the effectiveness of your workouts. No matter how many winters I've endured I still need to remind myself not to read too much into bad workouts this time of year. Now that I finally have a HR monitor I also now receive objective information confirming how poor the workout is too. But like clockwork that sudden boost always happens with me the first time we have 3 or 4 days in a row of spring-like weather. Although given your output lately I'm not sure how much of a boost is reasonable  :lol:   
Since I don't run off of a schedule I generally only do fast running when the weather is OK and I feel that rested spring in my step.  I rarely try to force things like I used to.  So, I don't think I notice a difference.  

Since I don't run off of a schedule I generally only do fast running when the weather is OK and I feel that rested spring in my step.  I rarely try to force things like I used to.  So, I don't think I notice a difference.  
Okay weather being a relative term. I didn't set out to do anything of consequence yesterday, but it was overall a fairly lousy workout beginning-to-end. I did it anyway because it was sunny and 39, but those 20 mph winds + gusts were far from optimal conditions. It's the best I've seen in a week and best I will see for at least another one though. Any other time of year those conditions would be an easy run...although with hindsight I probably should have done down wind fartleks.

Okay weather being a relative term. I didn't set out to do anything of consequence yesterday, but it was overall a fairly lousy workout beginning-to-end. I did it anyway because it was sunny and 39, but those 20 mph winds + gusts were far from optimal conditions. It's the best I've seen in a week and best I will see for at least another one though. Any other time of year those conditions would be an easy run...although with hindsight I probably should have done down wind fartleks.
Yeah, another advantage of being a morning runner is the winds usually die down at night. A lot of times I feel those gusts when I leave work and think about how glad I am that I don’t have to run after getting home.

Got 6.5 in this morning. Hopefully I’m allowed to run the Miluakee Lakefront this year 
I feel pretty good about Lakefront, not so good about the Milwaukee Marathon scheduled for April.  Buddy has a good source who says that it's getting canceled and that the RD has known for 3+ weeks already but hasn't announced it, which doesn't make sense because the race has a full refund policy.

It took me a minute to get moving, and I probably layered a little thick cause I'm a big wimp with the temps lately, but did a thing today that was fun. Wanted to do a January HM. Wanted to basically run comfortable/ consistent then see how things felt the last few miles. First couple of miles I settled into a 9 min/ mile pace and it felt good. Decided to see how long it felt ok and even was giving myself an "out" to feel bad and slow down later if needed. 

But... the miles kept ticking off, the pace stayed consistent and my HR was just slowly going up. By about 5 miles or 6 miles in, I felt good about finishing in sub 2 hours and then started thinking about pushing it at the end. From 10 to the finish I did and it was fun to finish strong but my HR over that period shows I have a lot of work to do still. Fun day, however. 

I got a COVID test today.  I'll know in two to three days.  6 people at work tested positive last week out of the fifteen or so of us who still come into the office.  It's a little odd to me as distancing and mask wearing are followed decently.  Although it was mostly in one department (not mine).  I'm pretty sure I'm fine.  My watch gave me some "productives" this week and today I'm "peaking".  I probably couldn't do that with a respiratory virus, right?

I got a COVID test today.  I'll know in two to three days.  6 people at work tested positive last week out of the fifteen or so of us who still come into the office.  It's a little odd to me as distancing and mask wearing are followed decently.  Although it was mostly in one department (not mine).  I'm pretty sure I'm fine.  My watch gave me some "productives" this week and today I'm "peaking".  I probably couldn't do that with a respiratory virus, right?
Gl. 

My boss's kids' babysitter came down with it...found out on Monday. I ended up wearing a mask at home and sleeping on the sofa the next two days until I heard he'd tested negative. I'm definitely not peaking on my runs this week...

Juxtatarot said:
Good luck.  Hopefully just a precaution. Let me know if you have any questions but if you need a doctor, ask Share. 

Juxtatarot said:
Would love @gianmarco's opinion, but my not-a-doctor personal opinion is that I'll know when I've got the COVID because my (almost) daily run will feel unusually hard.  It's tough to imagine having a respiratory illness and being able to run normally.

Juxtatarot said:
Could you do it with a respiratory virus? Sure, if you're not having any symptoms, which some people who get Covid experience.

Could you do it with a respiratory virus and having symptoms? Probably not, but it just depends on severity of symptoms and how big a BMF you are.

For example, @JShare87 PRd a marathon while sick with fever thanks to a little ibuprofen and a whole lot of BMFery.

Hopefully you just remain negative and it's all moot. Either way, your runs have been amazing lately. 

No run today. Slept in and had to take floppinho to tennis. Took an impromptu nap yesterday afternoon as well...have just been feeling tired (and hungry) lately. Put 35m in this week, so kinda on target, But I still feel like I cheated.

Users who are viewing this thread