Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

You've read that the corona virus doesn't spread easily? Huh.

I won't post any more about it so I don't derail the thread.  However, it seems that people have gotten it that only interacting with each other within six feet very briefly and with masks.  That's all I meant by that.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ChiefD

    4373

  • gianmarco

    4358

  • gruecd

    3464

  • MAC_32

    3118

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

21 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I won't post any more about it so I don't derail the thread.  However, it seems that people have gotten it that only interacting with each other within six feet very briefly and with masks.  That's all I meant by that.  

Yeah...i guess I was busting your balls there- sorry.

Seems like there are so many variables...indoors, airflow patterns, lifecycle on hard surfaces, masks down to eat/drink, etc, etc. Scary to have the dominos still fall if everybody is following what we're told to do. GL to you- hope you can dodge this one.

I'm screwed at work. Small, open studio space, no breakout room for lunch. I sit next to a window thankfully, but if somebody gets it, seems like we're all getting it. I tested positive for the antibodies back in July, but I still don't trust that i actually had it (never symptomatic) or can't get it "again".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, MAC_32 said:

Overall mood and training status heading into 2021

 Somewhere between not good and hopeful. It’s going to be difficult to find time during daylight to run between now and January 9th, which is usually the beginning of the worst of winter. I say ‘hopeful’ above because think I will be in a better headspace come February if I find a way to get there in no worse than the condition that I am now. That being so far away is why I categorize my current mood as ‘not good’ though. In the meantime I am trying to remain hyper focused on the day in front of me rather than thinking about the big picture. Successfully do that about 50 more times and I will be where I need to be to begin to ascend again. That’s a lot of needed successes though.

It's been 42 days and I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. My goals for January were:

*same mileage and strength work as December

*not intentionally murder anyone 

I have another week to go before I can confirm that I am still not a felon, but after tonight's strength work I will have matched December's 4.5 hours of it and will surpass that number later this week. I net 156 miles in December and am currently sitting on 143, so I will one-up it by Wednesday and possibly tomorrow. 

Unless our electrician finds a surprise tomorrow we'll finally start rounding the corner on the kitchen reno, so hopefully our house and life are back to new normal again by mid February. I'd like to start increasing the time per strength session, but that isn't February's priority so I won't force the issue if energy levels aren't there. My priority will be to reintroduce more quality - I'd like to sustain January's workload, but we'll see my back and L ankle have to say about more speed. I'm also going to start cleaning up the diet once on the back end of the reno too. I'm happy I haven't put on any weight, but my workouts have certainly suffered some because of the foods I've been consuming since we started this project. I doubt I'll race in February, but I am writing this now to hold myself accountable this time next month - if I don't then I'm going to make some racing decisions before March 1.

  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strava said 62° on this afternoon's run, weather app said 70° 

Too bad it's been raining a lot lately. 

YTD - 7 runs, 9 rides, 8 swims. 1 day off. 

Just crossed over 800,000 yards for my strava swimming. So I'll make it a goal to hit 1 million yards by the end of the year.  Seems like a lot but some guys do that in one year.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was tough getting out there this am. Sat on the can for an extra 15 minutes reading and procrastinating...something that's been happening more and more the last few weeks. Hit the event horizon line where it was now or never and headed out for an abbreviated hill set of 3x instead of 5x. Have also been eating like an absolute pig...something's afoot in the heart/soul and I need to figure it out before things go south into sedentary fatness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Was tough getting out there this am. Sat on the can for an extra 15 minutes reading and procrastinating...something that's been happening more and more the last few weeks. Hit the event horizon line where it was now or never and headed out for an abbreviated hill set of 3x instead of 5x. Have also been eating like an absolute pig...something's afoot in the heart/soul and I need to figure it out before things go south into sedentary fatness.

It's late January north of the mason-dixon line...and this whole covid thing.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tiled for 9 straight hours on Saturday. Got my leg work in since I climbed 2 flights of stairs about 150 times when I had to go make a cut on the tile saw. Got a nice run Sunday on some tired legs, and will try and go tonight.

On the bright side, I lost 4 pounds in the last 10 days working on the house. So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

It's late January north of the mason-dixon line...and this whole covid thing.

Really true. And I can't allow myself to forget that...but this is feeling bigger than that in terms of life and work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Really true. And I can't allow myself to forget that...but this is feeling bigger than that in terms of life and work.

Ugh. Tough place to be (I've been there plenty over the years).

Good to see that you still got out there and did something in terms of exercise.  All I tell myself is "one day at a time". 

Sometimes that's all I can focus on. (in terms of life, work, family....all of it)

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Tiled for 9 straight hours on Saturday. Got my leg work in since I climbed 2 flights of stairs about 150 times when I had to go make a cut on the tile saw. Got a nice run Sunday on some tired legs, and will try and go tonight.

On the bright side, I lost 4 pounds in the last 10 days working on the house. So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice. 

This reminds me - St. Paddy's Day a few years ago. I was at a buddy's house before heading to downtown festivities. We were more than a few rounds deep when his watch buzzed - he looks down and says 'welp, from going up and down those stairs to get you ### holes beers all morning I've already hit my elevation goal for the day.'

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Really true. And I can't allow myself to forget that...but this is feeling bigger than that in terms of life and work.

All sun makes a desert.

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Did @gruecd and @SteelCurtain ride the same virtual Peloton event yesterday?  Planned or coincidental?

On behalf of those of us on Strava who are there for the pics, I feel kinda let down when I see multiple posts of Matt Wilpers 5 minute cool down ride when I know damn well Kendall Toole is just sitting there ready to get after it.

Think of the little people GB's, I beseech you.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

On behalf of those of us on Strava who are there for the pics, I feel kinda let down when I see multiple posts of Matt Wilpers 5 minute cool down ride when I know damn well Kendall Toole is just sitting there ready to get after it.

Think of the little people GB's, I beseech you.

Yeah their warmup ride was 🦊, but the main event was :no:.  Strive to do better, guys.

ETA:  The eggplant emoji is even banned here?  Wow.

Edited by Zasada
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

On behalf of those of us on Strava who are there for the pics, I feel kinda let down when I see multiple posts of Matt Wilpers 5 minute cool down ride when I know damn well Kendall Toole is just sitting there ready to get after it.

Think of the little people GB's, I beseech you.

This is such a good post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Tiled for 9 straight hours on Saturday. Got my leg work in since I climbed 2 flights of stairs about 150 times when I had to go make a cut on the tile saw. Got a nice run Sunday on some tired legs, and will try and go tonight.

On the bright side, I lost 4 pounds in the last 10 days working on the house. So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice. 

Floor tiling is no joke.  My daughter assisted a couple years ago when we did both bathrooms (using 18" squares).  Lugging those tiles to the cutter and back, adding the paste, on the knees getting 'em set just right ...tough stuff!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2021 at 10:10 AM, gruecd said:

Take it for what it's worth, but according to a buddy whose friend works in marketing for Abbott (title sponsor of the World Marathon Majors), if the Boston Marathon does happen this year, it'll be on Monday, October 11, one day after Chicago.  Personally I doubt that either one happens, but I went ahead and booked a hotel room just in case before the hotels get wind of the date and jack up their prices.

Confirmed today.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found out that half I wanted to run in Philly was moved to October (not surprised), so I signed up for the Garden Spot Village Half Marathon in Amish Country. Perhaps I wasted $95 but I am encourage by some of the emails I have been seeing about races planned this weekend and in the future in the Reading area so maybe it will happen.  Even it doesn't my old training partners agreed to pace me for a solo race so I will be racing the weekend of March 27.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've gleaned the amish don't particularly care about covid, so as long as the state doesn't pull the plug I'm guessing you'll be good to go on any race ran in amish country. I don't know anything about PA amish country though. In OH they're pretty much in their own world, but that doesn't mean it's also the case there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

From what I've gleaned the amish don't particularly care about covid, so as long as the state doesn't pull the plug I'm guessing you'll be good to go on any race ran in amish country. I don't know anything about PA amish country though. In OH they're pretty much in their own world, but that doesn't mean it's also the case there.

The strange thing about this race is that it is hosted by a retirement community, hopefully they will get volunteers from outside the community.  It isn't a large race and I feel uneasy about signing up for it, but based on previous race results it shouldn't be crowded for me most of the race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'm assuming there's no electronic chip timing. Do they at least have horse and buggy pacers?

Racers have to carry a giant hourglass and sun dial.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

The strange thing about this race is that it is hosted by a retirement community, hopefully they will get volunteers from outside the community.  It isn't a large race and I feel uneasy about signing up for it, but based on previous race results it shouldn't be crowded for me most of the race.

Yeah it seems like you'll be pretty near the front at your pace.  I am tempted by this, as my usual local spring half is in October now.  Not sure if I want to try to crank up the training over the next month, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yeah it seems like you'll be pretty near the front at your pace.  I am tempted by this, as my usual local spring half is in October now.  Not sure if I want to try to crank up the training over the next month, though.

Cool let me know if you signup, it will be a little bit longer drive for you than me but it should be an easy one early in the morning on a Saturday.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zasada said:

Did @gruecd and @SteelCurtain ride the same virtual Peloton event yesterday?  Planned or coincidental?

Planned....it was good as I got a 30 minute PR on tired legs on Monday after a hard ride on Saturday and 21 mile run on Sunday. 

 

I'm sure we will do it again at some point.  We will try to get a bit more eye candy for you guys on the next one. 

Edited by SteelCurtain
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Racers have to carry a giant hourglass and sun dial.

Did that ever stop being a thing?  :unsure:

 

Boston: I've stayed in the suburbs for my three prior Bostons, so I'm not sure I'm mentally ready to switch to the city experience and the early hour routine.  I did hop online and found (and booked) an AirBnB that's about a half-mile from the Southborough train stop.  On race day, they run a shuttle from that station right up the road to near the start line.  After the race, I can take the train back out and then limp back to the rental.  For now, that's my plan.  [Were others running besides Grue?  The place I grabbed has two bedrooms, and can accommodate as many as five.]

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Boston: I've stayed in the suburbs for my three prior Bostons, so I'm not sure I'm mentally ready to switch to the city experience and the early hour routine.

What's ironic is that I wouldn't want to run Boston without the whole city experience.  To me that's half the fun!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@gruecd, this is very OT, but I don't want to wade into the stock thread. 

What's your take on this bat#### crazy stuff happening with Beyond Meats, Gamestop, and now AMC this morning?  It's like the mob and their pitchforks going after shorts, and the shorts running in absolute terror as soon as the mob looks even sideways at them.

Makes me wonder if this puts the whole system at risk?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gruecd said:

What's ironic is that I wouldn't want to run Boston without the whole city experience.  To me that's half the fun!

I’m with @gruecd, i like the atmosphere in the city.  Also, since it’s Columbus Day holiday weekend my family will hopefully be able to come 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

I won't be at Boston this year. Didn't qualify this time.

You and me both. Just missed. Thankfully we both qualified for Creve Coeur.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Floor tiling is no joke.  My daughter assisted a couple years ago when we did both bathrooms (using 18" squares).  Lugging those tiles to the cutter and back, adding the paste, on the knees getting 'em set just right ...tough stuff!

Yeah. I did the shower the other day. Grouted last night - looks pretty good.

The floor comes tomorrow night, but that will be cake. The floor area is small - only about 7' x 5'. It will take me longer to set up than to actually tile the floor.

But damn, I'm sore still. Hands, back, legs.....damn I'm out of shape. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pbm107 said:

I found out that half I wanted to run in Philly was moved to October (not surprised), so I signed up for the Garden Spot Village Half Marathon in Amish Country. Perhaps I wasted $95 but I am encourage by some of the emails I have been seeing about races planned this weekend and in the future in the Reading area so maybe it will happen.  Even it doesn't my old training partners agreed to pace me for a solo race so I will be racing the weekend of March 27.

Fact for the day: 100% of the half marathons I've done have been in Amish Country, Lancaster PA. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zasada said:

@gruecd, this is very OT, but I don't want to wade into the stock thread. 

What's your take on this bat#### crazy stuff happening with Beyond Meats, Gamestop, and now AMC this morning?  It's like the mob and their pitchforks going after shorts, and the shorts running in absolute terror as soon as the mob looks even sideways at them.

Makes me wonder if this puts the whole system at risk?  

I just looked into this and its insane whats happening with GameStop.  I'm wondering how risky it is to short it now.  I've never shorted a stock but this can't be sustainable.  Can I limit my risk on a short?  I've never done it but I'm willing to toss $2,000 at it and see if I can make some cash when it goes back down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCurtain said:

I just looked into this and its insane whats happening with GameStop.  I'm wondering how risky it is to short it now.  I've never shorted a stock but this can't be sustainable.  Can I limit my risk on a short?  I've never done it but I'm willing to toss $2,000 at it and see if I can make some cash when it goes back down.

I'm not shorting anything right now.  Logic has no meaning to the mob.

The market overall is down right now, except for the list of most-shorted stocks.  Those are all up.

:crazy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zasada said:

@gruecd, this is very OT, but I don't want to wade into the stock thread. 

What's your take on this bat#### crazy stuff happening with Beyond Meats, Gamestop, and now AMC this morning?  It's like the mob and their pitchforks going after shorts, and the shorts running in absolute terror as soon as the mob looks even sideways at them.

Makes me wonder if this puts the whole system at risk?  

My take is that I can’t wait until these Robinhood idiots decide they want to execute the “dump” portion of their little scheme and there’s no bid. 
 

The system will be fine. Regulators already have their eyes on this. And like everything else, I’m sure Wall Street will find a way to make money on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 0 update: 11.4 total miles running, +1.77 miles to goal; 160 total pus,  -81.9 pus to goal; 100 total sus, -141.9 sus to goal
Week 1 update: 41.6 total miles running, +9.35 miles to goal; 660 total pus, -146.5 pus to goal; 500 total sus, -224.8 sus to goal
Week 2 update: 63.0 total miles running, +8.12 miles to goal; 1160 total pus, -211.0 pus to goal; 925 total sus, -446.0 sus to goal
Week 3 update: 91.4 total miles running, +13.95 miles to goal; 1380 total pus; 1175 total sit ups

Didn't update on Monday but I am keeping track on my own. Actually as of tonight, I have run more than 100 miles for the month of January so that pass/fail goal is a pass. Yeah me! And to add to that, I really am starting to feel the difference of just getting in miles. If I keep this up, maybe I might just actually build a real base before trying to train for the fall races. Just have to keep this up and add to it. 

On the strength side, I had a bad week there and not for any good reason. Main goal was 2500 of each - that's toast. B goal was 2500 and that also is in doubt but C goal was 1500, which I will easily surpass. It's all about trying to develop the habits of doing something to improve core strength. I have done that and have a decent start to it. Just need to be a little more diligent in doing it. Along with those I have done some number of squats - air squats, goblet squats, etc - and have done some planking, some curls, strict press, good mornings and various other movements to work on both strength and flexibility. 

So, now to finish out this week strong, and then set some goals for February. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gruecd said:

My take is that I can’t wait until these Robinhood idiots decide they want to execute the “dump” portion of their little scheme and there’s no bid. 
 

The system will be fine. Regulators already have their eyes on this. And like everything else, I’m sure Wall Street will find a way to make money on it.

AAL on a tear this morning premarket.

:whistle:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

69 and muggy?  I think I prefer my 6.  But it's close.

Not even close for me.  I'll take the latter every day.

Add wind to the latter, and then it's a tougher call.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine yesterday was pretty fun. Had just starting to snow shortly before my dog and I headed out. Had a decent layer of it on the ground by the time we got home about an hour later. It was about 29* with a "feels like 19" but it really didn't feel that cold, imo. And my dog loves the snow so he was ready to stay out there all day. 

  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...