What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Every direction is into the wind here.
My city is substantially different than yours, but I don't miss running in it. Worked there for a couplefew years about a decade ago. Those unexpected wind tunnels were fierce, unexpected, and seemingly never ending from all directions. 

My city is substantially different than yours, but I don't miss running in it. Worked there for a couplefew years about a decade ago. Those unexpected wind tunnels were fierce, unexpected, and seemingly never ending from all directions. 
Yep.

If I'm on the rivers, which I usually am, it's a bit more consistent and predictable. Once I'm on the city grid, fuhgeddabowdit

I had a sad situation with a foster kitty here in DFW so couldn't go north this weekend.

On top of that, Canada is implementing stricter inbound quarantine rules (forced ~3 day hotel stay, traveler's expense, "$2,000+") in the coming weeks.  

So, commuting looks like it's going to be shot.  No more mountains for me for quite some time.  :kicksrock:

Even worse, no more wifey unless I can convince her to come south (working on that).

Got word office is remote today. I might try a run...but we're already at 6" and gusting hard.
We've got about 8" here and supposed to get 8-16" more, although we're in a bit of a lull right now and winds are surprisingly low.  I missed my Saturday long run for the first time since summer, but was able to get out for 90 minutes yesterday in the light snow.  Probably won't get out again until Wednesday at this point, although I'll get lots of shovel cross-training in.

Midwesterners, the vortex is coming. Load up on those miles this week!

@El Floppo, good luck today - she looks like a nasty one...
Yep, seems like each winter, you have to get that week of weather that makes you question all of your decisions in life.   We haven't had it yet this season, but it seems like it is coming. 

Funny thing on yesterday's light snow run - I ran past the local golf course and there was a foursome actually golfing in the snow.  I waved to the guy who just hit his approach shot and the thought occurred to me that we are both probably convinced that it is the other person in this interaction who is crazy.

Question for the group : one thing I noticed with the snow (and have noticed before running in the sand) is that if you draw a line along my path of travel, my footfalls overlap the line by about 25%  Good for running on curbs I guess, but seems kind of wrong.  I think it was @JShare87 that got made fun of for "running the line"?  I could definitely do that quite easily with my form.  I'm not a big believer in purposely changing your form, but is this something that should concern me?  If I wanted to change, how exactly would I even go about it - just try to run with a wider stance?

Remodeling Update (since I'm clearly not running):

Friday was grouting the tile floor, so that's all done. Also did a bunch of prep work to get ready to paint the master bedroom. Painted all day Saturday mixed in with 2 hockey games for my sons hockey tournament.

Painted trim all day Sunday mixed in with 2 more hockey games. They won the tournament, so that was cool.  

So the master bedroom and bath are just about done. Will finish painting trim tonight after a short run. Then the rest of the week I'll put in the vanity, mirror and do install trim in the bathroom.

Shower door goes in next week - I'm paying someone for that. My body is way too tired right now to be lifting heavy glass panels around. Then toilet goes in and DONE!

So I should have time to get some miles in this week - the heavy lifting is pretty much done in the bathroom. Just easy stuff now. 

Then I have to paint my daughter's room, son's room, sitting room, and dining room. Yay me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Friday was grouting the tile floor, so that's all done. Also did a bunch of prep work to get ready to paint the master bedroom. Painted all day Saturday mixed in with 2 hockey games for my sons hockey tournament.

Painted trim all day Sunday mixed in with 2 more hockey games. They won the tournament, so that was cool.  

So the master bedroom and bath are just about done. Will finish painting trim tonight after a short run. Then the rest of the week I'll put in the vanity, mirror and do install trim in the bathroom.

Shower door goes in next week - I'm paying someone for that. My body is way too tired right now to be lifting heavy glass panels around. Then toilet goes in and DONE!

So I should have time to get some miles in this week - the heavy lifting is pretty much done in the bathroom. Just easy stuff now. 

Then I have to paint my daughter's room, son's room, sitting room, and dining room. Yay me!
I'm impressed and a little bit jealous that you know how to do all that.

But I'd still rather pay someone to do it and have time to go running (or do something else) instead.  :shrug:

Funny thing on yesterday's light snow run - I ran past the local golf course and there was a foursome actually golfing in the snow.  I waved to the guy who just hit his approach shot and the thought occurred to me that we are both probably convinced that it is the other person in this interaction who is crazy.

Question for the group : one thing I noticed with the snow (and have noticed before running in the sand) is that if you draw a line along my path of travel, my footfalls overlap the line by about 25%  Good for running on curbs I guess, but seems kind of wrong.  I think it was @JShare87 that got made fun of for "running the line"?  I could definitely do that quite easily with my form.  I'm not a big believer in purposely changing your form, but is this something that should concern me?  If I wanted to change, how exactly would I even go about it - just try to run with a wider stance?
If you're not getting injured, then probably fine.  But he was having issues, and I believe it was @tri-man 47 that pointed it out and helped him eliminate a pain he was having.

I'm impressed and a little bit jealous that you know how to do all that.

But I'd still rather pay someone to do it and have time to go running (or do something else) instead.  :shrug:
Yeah, me too. But I just can't pay someone. I did this stuff for my full time job about 15 years ago.

I had my tape and mud guy bid out the bathroom, and it was gonna be about 12K for a little 5' x 10' bathroom. So I thought about just paying someone. 

But all in I'm probably spending about $3200. Just can't give a guy 9K for something I can do myself.

Yeah, me too. But I just can't pay someone. I did this stuff for my full time job about 15 years ago.

I had my tape and mud guy bid out the bathroom, and it was gonna be about 12K for a little 5' x 10' bathroom. So I thought about just paying someone. 

But all in I'm probably spending about $3200. Just can't give a guy 9K for something I can do myself.
I know exactly what you mean.  I'm not nearly as handy as you, but I do just about everything myself as well.  Whenever I've priced out having someone install flooring, I've been unable to justify in my head spending the extra money (not to mention plumbing - yeesh).  Add in that sometimes you see the work that some of these "professionals" do and they cut corners I would never cut.  The good guys are amazing, but for a lot of these guys, some schlub like me who actually cares about the final product will do a better job (albeit over a lot longer timeframe).

Thinking ahead to fall a little bit, I'm honestly not sure if I'm gonna be able to run Boston on October 11 (if it happens).  I really want to race Indy on November 6, and even if I'd just run Boston for fun, I'd have to think it would still have a negative impact on my performance 26 days later, no?

On top of that, we're thinking about taking a bucket-list 5-year anniversary trip (Bora Bora!) later in October during my taper, and that's an awful lot of travel/money.  Maybe I should start making my own mayo... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking ahead to fall a little bit, I'm honestly not sure if I'm gonna be able to run Boston on October 11 (if it happens).  I really want to race Indy on November 6, and even if I'd just run Boston for fun, I'd have to think it would still have a negative impact on my performance 26 days later, no?

On top of that, we're thinking about taking a bucket-list 5-year anniversary trip (Bora Bora!) later in October during my taper, and that's an awful lot of travel/money.  Maybe I should start making my own mayo... ;)
Related....if we'd arrive home from Bora Bora on October 29, I shouldn't have any issues with jet lag or anything with my race being 8 days later, right?

Nice work.  I lifted weights this morning, I'll run this afternoon, and I'll ride my Peloton tonight (all with a 5-week-old baby at home), mostly because I don't waste my valuable time doing dumb #### like that.  ;)   :lmao:
Isn’t your peloton just for naps?  Thought I read that earlier in the thread.

Any questions on toilet flanges, I'm your guy.  When we retiled, we laid it over the existing tile (which after 75 years would have been a bugger to take out.  But that meant the toilet was sitting slightly higher, leading to some serious flange research.  

@JShare87 had posted a video and, given an issue he was having (ITB? hip?), it worked out to dissect the stride and address that.

Don't rule out a change in form.  For example, it took me maybe a year to switch away from a heel strike stride, and I'm better off for that stretch of awkward, self-conscious running.  If your footfalls are trending to - and even over - the midpoint, then I'd guess that your back kick has some kind of a swing/swagger to it.  I.e., if the foot fall is across the center point, the leg can't complete the rotation back without some outer movement, otherwise I would think you'd be bumping feet ...or if the leg isn't making the adjustment, then the hip must have a little extra motion to it to 'clear' the leg. I'd guess that your best awareness of this might come from running up a really steep hill as I suspect any side movement would be most noticeable when doing that.  You might have someone shoot a video of you from the front and from the back to see how it looks.

Don't rule out a change in form.  For example, it took me maybe a year to switch away from a heel strike stride, and I'm better off for that stretch of awkward, self-conscious running.  If your footfalls are trending to - and even over - the midpoint, then I'd guess that your back kick has some kind of a swing/swagger to it.  I.e., if the foot fall is across the center point, the leg can't complete the rotation back without some outer movement, otherwise I would think you'd be bumping feet ...or if the leg isn't making the adjustment, then the hip must have a little extra motion to it to 'clear' the leg. I'd guess that your best awareness of this might come from running up a really steep hill as I suspect any side movement would be most noticeable when doing that.  You might have someone shoot a video of you from the front and from the back to see how it looks.
Damn right @Dr_Zaius has swagger!

:headbang:

Thanks.  I'm definitely going to chew on this information.  Maybe at some point I'll dig out the GoPro and see if I can diagnose what is off.  On very rare occasions I will kick my ankle (usually when tired), so I guess my swagger fails me then.  When my daughter briefly tried running a few years back, I noticed that as she strode forward, her legs arced out and back in, so it's possible I have something similar going on.  On the injury side, my hips and knees have always been rock solid on the injury front.  On the other hand, as I've mentioned before I've had foot issues off and on, so it's certainly possible a funky gait is putting undesirable stress on my foot.

Given all my posts #####ing about the weather, I figured I should have one positive-weather post to try to restore some balance to the Force.

Couldn't have designed a better run day:

• 5C/10F
  • No wind
  • Dry sidewalks & paths
  • Bright moon, providing a bit more light than the streetlights
  • No poop
Scared the #### out of a walker, who clearly had headphones on playing music loud enough to block out his surroundings.  Gave him one "good morning" from 20ft behind, then another from 10ft behind, and still no reaction.  When I finally passed him, I think he #### his pants (maybe compensating for my poopless runs as of late).  

I get listening to music when running (prefer podcasts myself), but geez, wear headphones that also allow you to hear your environment.  

Given all my posts #####ing about the weather, I figured I should have one positive-weather post to try to restore some balance to the Force.

Couldn't have designed a better run day:

• 5C/10F
  • No wind
  • Dry sidewalks & paths
  • Bright moon, providing a bit more light than the streetlights
  • No poop
Scared the #### out of a walker, who clearly had headphones on playing music loud enough to block out his surroundings.  Gave him one "good morning" from 20ft behind, then another from 10ft behind, and still no reaction.  When I finally passed him, I think he #### his pants (maybe compensating for my poopless runs as of late).  

I get listening to music when running (prefer podcasts myself), but geez, wear headphones that also allow you to hear your environment.  
And here I am just excited to see the bobcat come around this morning, clearing a path on our primary sidewalks so I have an option beyond just meandering around the side streets in my neighborhood between now and the next storm.

gruecd said:
Nice work.  I lifted weights this morning, I'll run this afternoon, and I'll ride my Peloton tonight (all with a 5-week-old baby at home), mostly because I don't waste my valuable time doing dumb #### like that.  ;)   :lmao:
Ran, lifted, worked all day, went to an umpires meeting, interacted with BOTH of my kids AND made mayonnaise all in one day. 

💪

Users who are viewing this thread