Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Ned

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

And here I am just excited to see the bobcat come around this morning, clearing a path on our primary sidewalks so I have an option beyond just meandering around the side streets in my neighborhood between now and the next storm.

We got 28"!  I'm going to clear out the driveway over lunch, but finding any sort of distance is going to suck for the next few weeks.  I may have to resort to the dreaded 3/4 mile loops around the local school.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

We got 28"!  I'm going to clear out the driveway over lunch, but finding any sort of distance is going to suck for the next few weeks.  I may have to resort to the dreaded 3/4 mile loops around the local school.

Yeah...gonna be a couple days at least here before there's anywhere to run for me. The 1/2 mile from my place to the river is about city streets. City streets means every curb is a giant slush/ice mess...even in my wet gear cycling socks, the whole thing will be soaked though before I even start running in earnest.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

I thought you might have been on the bullseye. Yeah, running on those snow plowed roads isn't safe. We have a lot of similar ones a couple miles east and south of me - I don't see them between Nov and March.

Anyone else seeing the forecast of day after day of sub zero lows next week? A while back I posted a forecast about late winter possibly being above average temperatures but I’m reminded that early February isn’t late winter.

Might have to go to the gym for the first time since COVID.

10 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Anyone else seeing the forecast of day after day of sub zero lows next week? A while back I posted a forecast about late winter possibly being above average temperatures but I’m reminded that early February isn’t late winter.

Our locals are still stressing what you wrote a while back. The long range models indicate a pattern change, but there was potential for a chip of that arctic air to plunge down before it hits. The range of potential outcomes did not deliver us a positive one this time!

And our locals are balking at providing actual numbers. There's a rather large difference between being on the edge of that air mass and 50+ miles into it. Wind chills will be below zero for about 48 hours give or take is all they'd say yesterday - air temp's, we'll see...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I know we don't have it as badly here, but I'm not looking forward to this weekend and the following 2 weeks.

When I looked last night, it had lows right around 0.  They've trended upward a little.  Fortunately, we won't deal with the snow most of you will.

37 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I thought you might have been on the bullseye. Yeah, running on those snow plowed roads isn't safe. We have a lot of similar ones a couple miles east and south of me - I don't see them between Nov and March.

Yeah, I think we're definitely in the "jackpot" zone - the 28" was reported 1 mile SE of me, 2 miles NW reported 30".  I haven't seen anything higher reported until you get up into the Poconos.  We had a moderate amount until close to lunch, then we were in a snow band for the entire afternoon.  That's the thing with winter storms in this area.  We're often near the rain/snow line, and even when we stay all snow you never know if you're going to get a dry slot or hammered with a wave of moisture from the coast.  It leads to a lot of situations where they forecast 6-12 and we get either 3 or 14.

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of paved trails near me, but no one maintains them in the winter, so I just have to wait for them to melt (or at least get down to a couple of inches). 

2 hours ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yuck!  The 12-13" we got over the weekend was the biggest storm in seven years, I believe.  Streets are all cleared enough that running isn't too much of a hassle.  Nothing like y'all are getting out east.  But I've had those seasons of being relegated to local loops ...not desirable.

To Juxt's point, I'm front-loading the miles this week, knowing more snow is expected on Thursday and then a very cold spell following that. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Zaius said:

They are saying we got 15" in my township, took a lot longer than expected to clear the driveway.  I knew with the storm I was going to miss my first quality workout of the week, hoping I'll be able to get my tempo in on Thursday.

February is always a busy month for me at work (year-end plan reviews for my corporate clients), so between that and the weather and the newborn, it's gonna be a tricky couple of weeks trying to find the time and energy to do all my runs.  But I'll try.  

2 hours ago, gruecd said:

February is always a busy month for me at work (year-end plan reviews for my corporate clients), so between that and the weather and the newborn, it's gonna be a tricky couple of weeks trying to find the time and energy to do all my runs.  But I'll try.  

:ptts:

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

3rd day with no run, no bike commute. This slop can't get thaw out fast enough. Will he heading out tomorrow am, slushy be damned. 

I ran Monday afternoon and this morning both while it was snowing and the roads were covered.  I go a bit slower but its been peaceful. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I ran Monday afternoon and this morning both while it was snowing and the roads were covered.  I go a bit slower but its been peaceful. 

I ran in the snow this morning, roads were freshly plowed which made it slippery.  Almost went down 3 or 4 times.

17 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

The pics looks great from your strava.

The city is a mess after snows, especially big ones like this. Each crosswalk is like stepping into a slurpee-filled void- never know whats below the surface. So the running is tough, until you're in the parks where you don't have cross streets. I'm about half mile from my usual east river run. Usually packed ice/slush on the paths there, but runnable.

Look at me, I had near-perfect conditions this morning: mid/high 20s; sunny skies; very little wind; local roads were all clear and dry.  Put in 14.7 miles to keep the load light over the rest of the week.  Avg HR was just 138, which was pleasing to see.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Look at me, I had near-perfect conditions this morning: mid/high 20s; sunny skies; very little wind; local roads were all clear and dry.  Put in 14.7 miles to keep the load light over the rest of the week.  Avg HR was just 138, which was pleasing to see.

I'm now on day 20 of poor conditions. I'm gonna try something of substance in a couple hours, but I'm not optimistic. Looks like this will be the last shot until sometime after valentine's day too. I wrote a few weeks ago this is the hardest 6 week stretch of winter and mother nature is testing my resolve!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Figured I should take a little time to update my Tri training progress and to write down my schedule for summer/fall 2021 to help keep me accountable an motivated (not that I really have any trouble with that)🤑

July 25 San Francisco HM. Wife and I love SF and this fits in with our training for the next increasingly difficult events.

August 28-29 Santa Barbara Triathlon. (1mi  ocean swim, 34mi bike, 10mi run) This will be my first go at a tri & longest ocean swim ever. This is the only event we are not officially signed up for but my coach is quite certain it will be a go. 

September 12 Santa Cruz 1/2IM. One of the best HIM's out there (ocean swim, bike & run along PCH) Water temperature in the low 60's! This should be a very good test and learning experience for the next event.......

October 24 California IM. This is the inaugural event in Sacramento with a swim in the American River, a flat bike & run (course has yet to be finalized). After conferring with our coach, we decided to make a go of an ironman this season. He feels that our base training and fitness is good enough that we will be ready come October to complete the IM. I have no finish times in mind at the moment, the goal is simply to finish. 

Besides swim technique (I have less anxiety after ocean swimming quite a bit on Maui in November), nutrition is going to be something I focus on most. I'll be trying different foods/gels/liquids to find the right mix so that I'm not heaving or crapping the entirety of the events yet have enough energy to make it to the finish line. I have been doing yoga & strength exercises 3x/week and starting to reap the benefits of those. My FTP on Zwift has been increasing gradually and I expect that to continue as we start to increase our milage in the coming months. 

Thank you for all your Strava/Zwift kudos....Best wishes to all of you, especially those in the colder climates that are finding it difficult to get your workouts in (especially, especially @gruecd who always includes a Kendall Toole pic on Strava). 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

Figured I should take a little time to update my Tri training progress and to write down my schedule for summer/fall 2021 to help keep me accountable an motivated (not that I really have any trouble with that)🤑

July 25 San Francisco HM. Wife and I love SF and this fits in with our training for the next increasingly difficult events.

August 28-29 Santa Barbara Triathlon. (1mi  ocean swim, 34mi bike, 10mi run) This will be my first go at a tri & longest ocean swim ever. This is the only event we are not officially signed up for but my coach is quite certain it will be a go. 

September 12 Santa Cruz 1/2IM. One of the best HIM's out there (ocean swim, bike & run along PCH) Water temperature in the low 60's! This should be a very good test and learning experience for the next event.......

October 24 California IM. This is the inaugural event in Sacramento with a swim in the American River, a flat bike & run (course has yet to be finalized). After conferring with our coach, we decided to make a go of an ironman this season. He feels that our base training and fitness is good enough that we will be ready come October to complete the IM. I have no finish times in mind at the moment, the goal is simply to finish. 

Besides swim technique (I have less anxiety after ocean swimming quite a bit on Maui in November), nutrition is going to be something I focus on most. I'll be trying different foods/gels/liquids to find the right mix so that I'm not heaving or crapping the entirety of the events yet have enough energy to make it to the finish line. I have been doing yoga & strength exercises 3x/week and starting to reap the benefits of those. My FTP on Zwift has been increasing gradually and I expect that to continue as we start to increase our milage in the coming months. 

Thank you for all your Strava/Zwift kudos....Best wishes to all of you, especially those in the colder climates that are finding it difficult to get your workouts in (especially, especially @gruecd who always includes a Kendall Toole pic on Strava). 

With a coach, your nutrition should be just fine. Always race with what you've trained on, but for the IM make sure to have backup plans to the backup plans...just in case.

I always made a point of mapping out the bike course so that I'd find flat areas starting a good half hour after the swim...start my feeding after the GI had gotten the swim behind me (and end 1/2hr before the run  no issues there either). Always find what my old coaches called the buffet area to load up. I'd do that for 1/2s too.

ETA...really jazzed just reading all that. Excited for you guys and super jealous. I forget how many tris you've done? Do you think the SF hm will go forward?

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

With a coach, your nutrition should be just fine. Always race with what you've trained on, but for the IM make sure to have backup plans to the backup plans...just in case.

I always made a point of mapping out the bike course so that I'd find flat areas starting a good half hour after the swim...start my feeding after the GI had gotten the swim behind me (and end 1/2hr before the run  no issues there either). Always find what my old coaches called the buffet area to load up. I'd do that for 1/2s too.

ETA...really jazzed just reading all that. Excited for you guys and super jealous. I forget how many tris you've done? Do you think the SF hm will go forward?

These will be my first Tri's of any distance. We are going up to St. George to support crew for a couple friends in May. That will be the first Tri I've attended. I think San Francisco will happen unless we start to slide backwards again. I just don't see that happening so we are full speed ahead, moving forward!

Thanks for the great advice!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

Best wishes to all of you, especially those in the colder climates that are finding it difficult to get your workouts in (especially, especially @gruecd who always includes a Kendall Toole pic on Strava). 

Are me and @bushdocda chopped liver around here? :lol:

It looks like Monday the three of us are back to doing a ride with Alex.  Its @gruecd's man crush.  i think he's cheating on @gianmarco.

• Laughing 4

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

The pics looks great from your strava.

The city is a mess after snows, especially big ones like this. Each crosswalk is like stepping into a slurpee-filled void- never know whats below the surface. So the running is tough, until you're in the parks where you don't have cross streets. I'm about half mile from my usual east river run. Usually packed ice/slush on the paths there, but runnable.

Thanks! 

I hear you about NYC.  I've tried navigating those streets in Manhattan after a storm. Misery.  Central Park, Prospect Park, West Side not an option for you?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Thanks! 

I hear you about NYC.  I've tried navigating those streets in Manhattan after a storm. Misery.  Central Park, Prospect Park, West Side not an option for you?

Check my strava...I only run from home, especially on weekdays. Not enough time in my mornings to hop a subway to and from a run at any of those spots, and citibike is a no-go until the streets are more clear. 

East River should be fine...just have to slop my way there first. I'll find out tomorrow am!

26 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

These will be my first Tri's of any distance. We are going up to St. George to support crew for a couple friends in May. That will be the first Tri I've attended. I think San Francisco will happen unless we start to slide backwards again. I just don't see that happening so we are full speed ahead, moving forward!

Jeebus... you're jumping in with both feet!

I'll throw out there that running a full IM a month after a half seemed ambitious to me to fully go after the IM, even before hearing you're new to these. Without some of these behind you, makes me a little nervous tbh. Plus right on top of the other oly+ distance race doesn't seem like you're giving your body a chance to really recover...my 2c as an elite midpacker with only 10 or so of these completed- definitely trust your coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

45 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I'll throw out there that running a full IM a month after a half seemed ambitious to me to fully go after the IM, even before hearing you're new to these. Without some of these behind you, makes me a little nervous tbh. Plus right on top of the other oly+ distance race doesn't seem like you're giving your body a chance to really recover...my 2c as an elite midpacker with only 10 or so of these completed- definitely trust your coach.

Thanks for the insight. The coach and I spoke about the timing on this. It will be a grind for sure but I have no intention of truly "racing" for time on any of these events. I just want to stay ahead of he cutoff times. Knowing me, I'll probably have to fight my competitive nature and backoff if I feel myself racing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

If it hasn't already, get ready to get totally pumped while watching the race.  

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

🤔  Agreed with Mr floppy. 

3 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Thanks for the insight. The coach and I spoke about the timing on this. It will be a grind for sure but I have no intention of truly "racing" for time on any of these events. I just want to stay ahead of he cutoff times. Knowing me, I'll probably have to fight my competitive nature and backoff if I feel myself racing. 

Simply awesome. Once you tri, you won't stop. It sounds like you're being ambitiously smart. 

• Like 2

I've kind of got back into the "just shut up and run" mode, i.e. trying to run miles and not worrying about anything else. But kind of also starting to think about if I should be doing anything different - or maybe "when should I think about doing something different?" Finished January with 112.9 miles, pretty much all long slow miles. Ran a couple trail 5ks a little harder and pushed a bit here and there but not much. Per strava, it's the slowest I've run since getting my garmin (only 25 months of data). Did a decent job with my core strength training but started to lack a little consistency at the end of the month. Still tracking that and adding to it. 

Only goals I have this month are to try to beat the things I tracked last month - miles, push ups and sit ups. And then starting to add in track squats - primarily just doing air squats. They kind of kick my butt right now but have to get myself ready to umpire high school games here in another 6 weeks. 1 game behind the plate ends up being like 200+ "half squat holds". 

Right now, the only races I have on my schedule are a 5k at the end of February and some 15k trail runs scattered over time (like 6 of them between early March and Mid August). If it looks like they might actually run the HM as part of the Indy 500 festival in May, I will probably run it. But all of those would mostly be about rf;dbap than about PRs. Only thing like that on the schedule right now are the HM in October and the Monumental in November. 

I'm guessing I probably don't really need to think too much right now and just need to go run - consistently, and continually, and not skip weeks or months - but open to any thoughts on if there is anything I could/should add in and/or do differently. 

• Like 2

I should probably wait until morning to be sure, but I think I might have had a breakthrough today. Typically after higher effort workouts since the accident I notice my balky left ankle isn't happy that night then the next morning involves a 30-90 minute limp with a rather ugly start to that day's run (it calms down once I'm moving). I've been noticing subtle improvements over the last month, but nothing like tonight. I don't feel anything at all. Here's hoping for the same in about 8 1/2 hours...

• Like 8
  • Love 2

52 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I'm guessing I probably don't really need to think too much right now and just need to go run - consistently, and continually, and not skip weeks or months - but open to any thoughts on if there is anything I could/should add in and/or do differently. 

Basically ...this, I'd say.  You've added a lot in getting back your mileage and adding the core/strength work.  

2 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Basically ...this, I'd say.  You've added a lot in getting back your mileage and adding the core/strength work.  

Yep, the most important element is figuring out how you need to sustain your own unique give a ####, which has been the greatest challenge for many since March 2020.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, El Floppo said:

3rd day with no run, no bike commute. This slop can't get thaw out fast enough. Will he heading out tomorrow am, slushy be damned. 

...last night

Hey google, set alarm for 6am

Ok, alarm is set.

...just now at 8am as I wake up

Hey google...No alarm? 

6pm, 6am...who cares. And #### you. 

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

:kicksrock:

4 days without a run. I'll leave my pile of running stuff in my bathroom to get the early jump tomorrow after manually setting my alarm.

It's NYC.  There's gotta be a stairwell somewhere in that city you can run.  

2 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

It's NYC.  There's gotta be a stairwell somewhere in that city you can run.  

Totally. I have to go to work, unfortunately. Then home. I could run at night if I don't want to spend time with the family. And I'm tempted to go tonight, but also have a full, probable late day at work... :ptts:

had my only little breakthrough today... My wife reminded me I have somewhere to be this evening so the normal afternoon run was out. Was thinking of doing a lunch run but then saw the weather report and icy ran is supposed to start sometime about lunch +/-. Thought about going in the morning before bed but usually that thought ends up sounding terrible when I wake up. But, I got up and ran 10k this morning so there! Other option was to run tomorrow, but I really like having an easy day with just taking the dog for a walk on Fridays before doing a longer run on Saturday.

weather: 29F/-1.6C this morning. 13 mph wind, feels like 19F. My face and hands were pretty cold by the end... 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

11 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Yep, the most important element is figuring out how you need to sustain your own unique give a ####, which has been the greatest challenge for many since March 2020.

:hifive:

Thanks, I kind of talk myself into this by the end of typing it and almost didn't post but I put all that effort in! :lmao:

For now, I have found the give a ####. Just have to find a way to sustain it. Hopefully the trail races and such will help me do that. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1