What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

For example, here is where we ran into them yesterday.  She stepped into the patch of grass next to the sidewalk as we went by.  The road is busy enough where running on it isn't really a good option.
I do like the pepper spray idea but that can be annoying for a long run.  In the image, I would absolutely run out by the road.....and depending on traffic, I would cross all three lanes as well.  And don't put it past me to just run 50-100 feet in that center turning lane while passing the lady and her dog.

This dog thing reminds me of a story.
Made me think of a story I had related in the dumb pitbull thread that pops up around here from time to time. A year or 2 ago we were at the cabin for a long weekend. I had gone out for about an 8 to 10 miler from there. We are pretty much in the middle of nowhere and I ended up on some backwater country road. In the course of running, I had 3 dog encounters during the run. First was a little yorkie with a couple of people that barked at me and then snipped at my fingers when I reached down to the ground. Second was a rat-dog chihuahua that snuck up behind me, nipped at my heels and scared the bejeezus out of me cause I never saw him coming.

Third one I thought I was going to die for a few seconds. I'm literally in the middle of nowhere and come up on a property with a house back off the road a ways. As I do, there is this pit/pit mix? coming down from the house toward the road. He had a "you done messed up and are about to be my dinner" look on his face. I look up toward the house and around hoping to see an owner nearby but there is nobody around. I slow a bit, look around, and start thinking about my options. He has stopped in the yard just across from a drainage ditch from the road and only a few feet from me. I look at him and in my friendliest puppy talking voice say "hey buddy, how you doing?" He looks at me and almost instantly goes from "I'm about to eat your face" aggressive stance to "wiggly butt puppy mode". He comes over to me, flops on the ground, lays on his back, and begs me to pet his belly. After doing so for a bit and making a new best friend, I start running and he runs with me for the next 1/2 mile or so before wandering off into a field/wooded area. 

In gian's scenario, I'd definitely given as wide a berth as possible if a dog is acting on the hostile side. If you are seeing this lady often, it might not be a terrible idea to pause a run and see if you can talk to her/the dog. She may suggest you continue to keep your distance, depending on the dogs disposition, but it could also be that if you "meet" the dog, you might be able to "make friends". Then instead of seeing you as a threat and getting defensive, it would see you as more a friend.

Might not work and she might just say something like "I'd stay back if I were you", but you are no worse off than you are. Only other option is to try to keep as much distance as possible given the scenario. Sounds like the owner is at least recognizing the scenario and trying to give some space even though there isn't much room.

Last edited by a moderator:
In gian's scenario, I've definitely given as wide a berth as possible if a dog is acting on the hostile side. If you are seeing this lady often, it might not be a terrible idea to pause a run and see if you can talk to her/the dog. She may suggest you continue to keep your distance, depending on the dogs disposition, but it could also be that if you "meet" the dog, you might be able to "make friends". Then instead of seeing you as a threat and getting defensive, it would see you as more a friend.

Might not work and she might just say something like "I'd stay back if I were you", but you are no worse off than you are. Only other option is to try to keep as much distance as possible given the scenario. Sounds like the owner is at least recognizing the scenario and trying to give some space even though there isn't much room.
And he should also try and sniff the dog's hiney. That usually works.

I do like the pepper spray idea but that can be annoying for a long run.  In the image, I would absolutely run out by the road.....and depending on traffic, I would cross all three lanes as well.  And don't put it past me to just run 50-100 feet in that center turning lane while passing the lady and her dog.
Yeah, depending on traffic conditions I would definitely consider swapping onto the road for a bit.  The other option if you have enough warning is to make a turn onto one of those side cul-de-sacs and run perpendicular to the road for a bit to give her time to get by, then turn around and get back on your main path.  Hopefully the extra .2 miles doesn't mess with any OCD.

I like the pepper spray idea as well ...it fits in a flipbelt, right?!  

I don't like the idea of exiting the path to run in traffic.  With pepper spray in hand, it might be useful to stop and tell the lady you have the pepper spray and are *not* happy about having to dodge the dog and carry the spray to stay safe.  See how she responds.

That light dusting of snow on top of residual snow/ice made things tough out there this morning. Ad planned to do speed/intervals today, but the snow out a kabosh on that for the most part. Fartleked whenever I found dry patches, which was easier to anticipate on the back of my OAB.

I'm enjoying watching some of you guys ramping up your training in anticipation of races. Mac with a monster I think today or yesterday, and a bunch of you other guys with consistent growing mileages at fasttr paces. Makes me realize I need a race goal, or I risk burning out a bit. The ice/snow conditions aren't helping either- haven't done any hill work because the bridge is icy at where I do my repeats...and speed work gets limited as well with the ice. So its felt like a bunch of samesy runs lately. Still loving getting out there though.

The ice/snow conditions aren't helping either- haven't done any hill work because the bridge is icy at where I do my repeats...and speed work gets limited as well with the ice. So its felt like a bunch of samesy runs lately. Still loving getting out there though.
I think just getting out there in these conditions is the win.  If you start telling yourself that "unless you do SOS runs then it's useless", then you find yourself giving up entirely.

This morning, it was icy out for me, and honestly I probably should have just done weights.  But I know this weekend is going to be tough for me to get a long run in (flights/etc), so I wanted to log some miles to pay it forward.  Sure, I ran slower than I have in months, but I still got out.  I'm scoring that as a victory. 

That light dusting of snow on top of residual snow/ice made things tough out there this morning. Ad planned to do speed/intervals today, but the snow out a kabosh on that for the most part. Fartleked whenever I found dry patches, which was easier to anticipate on the back of my OAB.

I'm enjoying watching some of you guys ramping up your training in anticipation of races. Mac with a monster I think today or yesterday, and a bunch of you other guys with consistent growing mileages at fasttr paces. Makes me realize I need a race goal, or I risk burning out a bit. The ice/snow conditions aren't helping either- haven't done any hill work because the bridge is icy at where I do my repeats...and speed work gets limited as well with the ice. So its felt like a bunch of samesy runs lately. Still loving getting out there though.
Thanks, I was happily surprised I found windows to do something of substance both Monday (5x1K) and Wednesday (Higdon Tempo). The jet stream stayed just far enough south so we've only gotten flurries each of those days. It looks like I might get one more window Friday (will long run), but no promises beyond that. 

I think just getting out there in these conditions is the win.  If you start telling yourself that "unless you do SOS runs then it's useless", then you find yourself giving up entirely.

This morning, it was icy out for me, and honestly I probably should have just done weights.  But I know this weekend is going to be tough for me to get a long run in (flights/etc), so I wanted to log some miles to pay it forward.  Sure, I ran slower than I have in months, but I still got out.  I'm scoring that as a victory. 
VERY :goodposting:

If you get a window to do something of substance then do it, but don't expect it. Time on feet is the priority when conditions are like this. If mother nature says the time on feet that day won't be quality then c'est la'vie, get out there anyway (within reason).

VERY :goodposting:

If you get a window to do something of substance then do it, but don't expect it. 
OR just do SOS on the treadmill instead.  I did some cruise intervals yesterday, and I felt pretty good about the paces.  Did 2x2 miles at 6:36/6:36 and 6:31/6:27 with only a 3-min jog in between.  Next time I'll try to do 2 x 3 miles at comparable paces.

Kind of excited looking at my strava today. This will make 8 weeks in a row of running 20+ miles and 10 weeks in a row of running 3+ times per week. Much to my dog's chagrin, I have retreated to the treadmill quite a bit the last week or 2, but better than not running at all. 

Kind of excited looking at my strava today. This will make 8 weeks in a row of running 20+ miles and 10 weeks in a row of running 3+ times per week. Much to my dog's chagrin, I have retreated to the treadmill quite a bit the last week or 2, but better than not running at all. 
Zero shame in running on the treadmill.  I'd much rather throw on a pair of shorts and run on the treadmill than put on three layers of clothes just to suffer through a run outside in the freezing cold.  There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Zero shame in running on the treadmill.  I'd much rather throw on a pair of shorts and run on the treadmill than put on three layers of clothes just to suffer through a run outside in the freezing cold.  There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
Hell, I would go one further and say that running on the treadmill is more badass than running outside.  I can't stand the treadmill, and would rather go out in three layers in the freezing cold than suffer through the treadmill indoors.

Here in DFW I don't have that option anyway, but I've voted with my feet up north (where I do have a treadmill) many times in this battle!

Treadmill running is a much better decision than not running at all.

Hell, I would go one further and say that running on the treadmill is more badass than running outside.  I can't stand the treadmill, and would rather go out in three layers in the freezing cold than suffer through the treadmill indoors.
Agreed.  It's honestly great for developing/improving mental toughness.  I've got 16 slated for Saturday (forecast high 10°F) and 10 for Sunday (1°F), so it's looking like I've got a whole lot of "Designated Survivor" on tap...

14 for my run today.  Even though I didn't wear the balaclava, I still was dressed in my warmest pants and three shirts.  Too warm.  I wasn't really feeling it until I headed into the north wind and cooled off a bit.

14 for my run today.  Even though I didn't wear the balaclava, I still was dressed in my warmest pants and three shirts.  Too warm.  I wasn't really feeling it until I headed into the north wind and cooled off a bit.
I've been running in the teens and I've felt comfortable with 2 layers. The worst part is my face when I drop my mouth covering because my glasses keep fogging up.

Agreed.  It's honestly great for developing/improving mental toughness.  I've got 16 slated for Saturday (forecast high 10°F) and 10 for Sunday (1°F), so it's looking like I've got a whole lot of "Designated Survivor" on tap...
I think feels like and that yellow thing in the sky matters more. Our feels like was 2 on Saturday, but the sun was out so I did 10 in shorts. 

I've been running in the teens and I've felt comfortable with 2 layers. The worst part is my face when I drop my mouth covering because my glasses keep fogging up.
Two layers is good enough for me down to -10F or so.  A significant wind would probably drive a third.  I think I've only donned three layers once, and that was somewhere around -22F, IIRC.

Why don't you run in contacts?  
I'm not gian, but I haven't put my contacts in for quite a while. Wore them all the time when younger, then hit a point that I only wore them for sports stuff or when outside for long periods and wanted sunglasses. A few years ago I got a nice pair of prescription sunglasses and rarely ever wear my contacts any more. 

The only time I really regret it from a running perspective is when it is raining. 

Two layers is good enough for me down to -10F or so.  A significant wind would probably drive a third.  I think I've only donned three layers once, and that was somewhere around -22F, IIRC.
bmf. no chance I'm going outside to run in negative temps. low teens is about as far as I've gone. 20+ is actually pretty comfortable, IMO. That said, lately it hasn't really been 'that cold', which is why I was giving myself trouble for going to the treadmill. A number of times it has been mid to upper 20s but I went to the gym anyway. Usually afterwards I kind of wish I had gone outside but I'm ok either way. Building up more miles is all that matters right now. 

Why don't you run in contacts?  
I do occasionally. But, first of all, it's the only time I wear them anymore. So, popping em in for less than an hour run doesn't seem worth it. Secondly, since I'm getting old, I can't see up close with them at all. It's not like my glasses that are progressives or I can just take off. Since I don't own a pair of reading glasses yet, it's frustrating, especially if I'm trying to see anything on my watch. So it has its own set of problems that just keep getting worse. 

That said, if I'm running longer or it's really windy and I'm going to want my face covered most of the time, I'll throw them on.

I do occasionally. But, first of all, it's the only time I wear them anymore. So, popping em in for less than an hour run doesn't seem worth it. Secondly, since I'm getting old, I can't see up close with them at all. It's not like my glasses that are progressives or I can just take off. Since I don't own a pair of reading glasses yet, it's frustrating, especially if I'm trying to see anything on my watch. So it has its own set of problems that just keep getting worse. 

That said, if I'm running longer or it's really windy and I'm going to want my face covered most of the time, I'll throw them on.
I used to hardly ever were glasses.  I would sleep in my contacts.  But last year I got a new set of glasses and got bifocals since my near vision isn't what it used to be.  I find myself wearing them more and more.  I couldn't imagine running in them though.  But if I couldn't read my watch, I'm sure I'd change.

I’ve been going two lower layers, 3 upper most runs that I can’t high point the sun/temp.

I need to get some more quality warm socks, any recs from the crew?  

I don't like the balaclava covering my mouth since it messes with my breathing and it fogs up the sunglasses on sunny days.  With some single digit temps of late, one trick I've used is to swipe the Body Glide across my (facial) cheeks, creating a little barrier from the wind.

:bag: totally forgot that I had signed up for the desert storm 218 miler. Need to finish 218 miles before February 28. 

I'm a tad bit behind.

🤷🏽‍♂️ It's the Marines and I was mechanized infantry, so I'll include swims and bike. Of course the bike goes zero miles 🤔

I’ve been going two lower layers, 3 upper most runs that I can’t high point the sun/temp.

I need to get some more quality warm socks, any recs from the crew?  
I’ve got some opinions on socks.  Tried saucony, under armour, Nike, bombas and balega.

I reach for the balegas every time in both winter and summer, I love them.  Keep my feet warm in winter and keep them dry in the summer, big fan.

I’ve got some opinions on socks.  Tried saucony, under armour, Nike, bombas and balega.

I reach for the balegas every time in both winter and summer, I love them.  Keep my feet warm in winter and keep them dry in the summer, big fan.
I like balegas, I need to get ones that are higher. All my good socks are low cuts.  

Unlike my hands, my feet don't get that cold unless they get wet. I can get by only wearing one pair.
Same here.  I have three pairs of the Fitsok Merino Wool Hiker, and use them in both summer and winter up north, irrespective of temperature.

In DFW in the summer, I use Smartwool low-cut socks.

I know wool socks might seem weird in the heat, but they work for me.  So I stick with it.

This dog thing reminds me of a story.

A few years ago I was up in Minnesota for my annual fishing and family vacation. I go out for a run, and it's pretty quiet up there - very solitary.

I'm running back and am about a mile away from the cabin when I see a large animal in the middle of the road in front of me. It was probably 500 yards away or so. I stop my watch, and stand there a second to assess the situation. 

I'm thinking - this thing looks like a wolf or large dog. I'm alone, no traffic on this road - nothing. I scan the woods next to me for a large stick just in case, and pick out a suitable weapon. As I start to jog again, a car comes up behind me. I can hear it but not really paying attention.

They pass, and it's my brother and his wife coming back from the store. As they pass, I stand in the middle of the road - waving my arms to try and grab their attention so they can stop and pick me up.

They both give me a stupid grin, wave and keep moving. (obviously they hadn't seen the dog/wolf/sasquatch yet).  I stand there, watching their car slowly getting smaller in the distance, thinking: "I'm gonna die and my stupid brother just waved at me and smiled."

#####. 
Is there a part 2 to this? What happened? Did you live?

:bag: totally forgot that I had signed up for the desert storm 218 miler. Need to finish 218 miles before February 28. 

I'm a tad bit behind.

🤷🏽‍♂️ It's the Marines and I was mechanized infantry, so I'll include swims and bike. Of course the bike goes zero miles 🤔
Doing this as well.  Key to me finishing is to not swim (drown). 

Doing this as well.  Key to me finishing is to not swim (drown). 
Do you guys know if we can retroactively add miles if we sign up now? And if Strava counts as a "wearable device"? Grus garmin continues to evade discovery in our apartment (sorry gru).

Do you guys know if we can retroactively add miles if we sign up now? And if Strava counts as a "wearable device"? Grus garmin continues to evade discovery in our apartment (sorry gru).
I'm not sure, but as a charity race I'd guess they would accept the payment. 

I'm just not going to finish this. So I won't wear the medal 🤷🏽‍♂️

Happy New year y'all. (Good bye year of the rat, hello ox)

Users who are viewing this thread