Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Recommended Posts

Just now, Zasada said:

You could do 3:30 in your sleep.  

Me and the marathon distance don't get along, though.  If I run 3:45 for my next marathon (recall my PR is 3:56), I'd be happy.

Yeah, doing 3:30 in my sleep is kind of easy. Doing it not in a dream, not so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • gianmarco

    4447

  • ChiefD

    4439

  • gruecd

    3539

  • MAC_32

    3171

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

15 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Yeah, doing 3:30 in my sleep is kind of easy. Doing it not in a dream, not so much!

You have a crapton of natural ability.  When you put your mind to <99 on the HM, you crushed it.  Not just <99, but blew past that, and left that goal in your dust.

If you similarly put your mind to 3:30, and train this summer like you did for the HM PR, I would bet on you all day long.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zasada said:

You have a crapton of natural ability.  When you put your mind to <99 on the HM, you crushed it.  Not just <99, but blew past that, and left that goal in your dust.

If you similarly put your mind to 3:30, and train this summer like you did for the HM PR, I would bet on you all day long.

I appreciate the kind words. I have put the 3:30 down as a goal. I did miss on #beatgrue in my first one but it was a good effort. If I can be consistent from now to November, I feel very good about getting it, but we will see how it goes. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

I totally believe in Gian's ability to run a 3:30 (or better) marathon if he set his mind to it but there is a lot to that, most notably time, which is limited by work and family for him, and his commitment to his wife and her schedule/goals. Both are far more important than race times, imo, but given unlimited time to dedicate himself to the craft and Gian could totally do it. I am 100% confident in that. 

What about me?

 

:kicksrock:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

You didn't give me a speech.  

:kicksrock:

The man of a thousand shovels needs no speech. The author of the #BMF song is a living legend. The man that shooed away my encouragement at the halfway point of his own marathon badassery to celebrate my finish in a HM is walking Knute Rockne speech. You get your ### out there, and get busy! We are going to stroll down Meridian toward that finish like the pack of BMFs we are. And we'll drag @gianmarco along with us whether he likes it or not! 

Edited by The Iguana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I wish my wife saw my running as anything but an impediment to her time. I do my best to do all my runs before anybody gets up, but on weekdays if a stall or spend time on the can, my return pushes into helping her get the kids ready for school...which is uncool for her. As is the alarm going off at 6 or earlier...so it's a fine line.

Reading what you've been writing over the last few months I've been reminded of some of my own battles and what @ChiefDhas mentioned over the years. And I have a wife that supports this habit. It just isn't a priority for her, so in making my plans I have to be mindful of that. She'll sacrifice short periods of time to allow me a better chance to hit my goals, but an entire training cycle? Nuh-uh. I'll get a pass for Boston training, but that's it. Which is why my race window is fall. She's a K-8 asst principal and I work in Finance at a college, so bulking up on miles after my graduation (mid May) until she returns to full time (mid Aug) has to be part of the plan. This way I'm only demanding sacrifices from mid Aug-mid Sep. My workload falls off a cliff mid Sep, so I just take a bunch of half days to fit in training that last month. 

I'll re-assess if this WFH becomes some sorta permanent reality though.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

What sort of madness has been going on in here all day?  A fellow ducks out for a few hours...

Actually had mid 40's and sunny to run in over lunch today.  We've had enough warmth over the last week that all of the sidewalks that people made at least an honest effort to shovel are clear, so that's nice.  Although apparently we're supposed to get more snow tomorrow night, so it's not going to last very long.  I'm not going to complain though given the weather some of you guys have been getting.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yikes...looks like it's snowing all day tomorrow and most of Friday. Clear but cold now, so I'll try to put in an extra mile or two before the roads get covered again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Yikes...looks like it's snowing all day tomorrow and most of Friday. Clear but cold now, so I'll try to put in an extra mile or two before the roads get covered again.

High of 23° here tomorrow.  After what we've had for the last 10 days, it's gonna feel so warm that I might run shirtless.

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally a day with no new snow.  Our 'burb got hit with 18" with the latest storm...we've had 40" over the past month or so.  Having a double-wide driveway on a fairly busy residential street (=lots of extra, heavy snowplowed piles) doesn't make it any easier.  Time for a run.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Finally a day with no new snow.  Our 'burb got hit with 18" with the latest storm...we've had 40" over the past month or so.  Having a double-wide driveway on a fairly busy residential street (=lots of extra, heavy snowplowed piles) doesn't make it any easier.  Time for a run.
 

I think...key word, think...we're finally rounding third on winter. This system that's about to hit Floppy and Dr. Z is gonna just skim us and it looks like nothing of consequence behind it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think...key word, think...we're finally rounding third on winter. This system that's about to hit Floppy and Dr. Z is gonna just skim us and it looks like nothing of consequence behind it. 

6-10" storm watch for tomorrow starting at 6am and continuing all day and most of Friday. Hoping I can get out at the beginning tomorrow and miss any accumulation. 10 day forecast shows another couple days with snow/rain. 

I've noticed a LOT more runners out there lately in the mornings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Finally a day with no new snow.  Our 'burb got hit with 18" with the latest storm...we've had 40" over the past month or so.  Having a double-wide driveway on a fairly busy residential street (=lots of extra, heavy snowplowed piles) doesn't make it any easier.  Time for a run.
 

Wow, I only got 7 or 8 inches Monday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Wow, I only got 7 or 8 inches Monday.

 

Just now, gianmarco said:

🥎

Bear attack just took on a whole different meaning.

  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I hesitated posting that but decided since it was 7 or 8 instead of 3 or 4 that I’d post it anyway.

That actually seems....worse.

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 12:58 PM, El Floppo said:

I actually just looked into travel there... 2+ hr flight, not bad. 11+ hr bus, bad. Just maneuvering through Port Authority would take a few years off my life for that.

I flew out of LGA in 2019....it was easy as could be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 1:21 PM, El Floppo said:

:shrug:

Sorry, my mistake I guess. Seems like your numbers are getting there, and I feel like by the fall you'll have some good miles in your legs and will be able to build to that... Especially with the Mrs pulling you along.

I do think it's there for me as mac says, maybe even sooner if I went for it. But for now, my marathon PR remains 3:56 or something like that and regardless of any 1/2s, the target is still there. I do wonder if I can drop that recent 1/2 time- conditions on the day were perfect, with a backwind, two different pacers and mild temps...and I know that all helped a lot.

I'm confirmed for pacing Wineglass Half Marathon on October 3.  That's just over a month prior to Indy.  I paced 1:40 half last year.  I'll probably do the same or 1:45 depending on my fitness. 

 

Those paces would be pretty good training run as prep for Indy.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

6-10" storm watch for tomorrow starting at 6am and continuing all day and most of Friday. Hoping I can get out at the beginning tomorrow and miss any accumulation. 10 day forecast shows another couple days with snow/rain. 

I've noticed a LOT more runners out there lately in the mornings.

I've run 5 straight days and I think I'm going to make it 6 by going early tomorrow.  I'll take Friday as a Peloton day due to craptastic weather.  Although, everything I'm hearing about this storm is it is still pretty uncertain what its going to do and it may not materialize like they are predicted.  So don't be surprised if its bite isn't as bad as it bark.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I flew out of LGA in 2019....it was easy as could be. 

Seems easy.

Easier by a metric ton than explaining to my wife going to Indy...or anywhere that isn't the caribbean...to run a race. Just not in the cards.

 

2 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I've run 5 straight days and I think I'm going to make it 6 by going early tomorrow.  I'll take Friday as a Peloton day due to craptastic weather.  Although, everything I'm hearing about this storm is it is still pretty uncertain what its going to do and it may not materialize like they are predicted.  So don't be surprised if its bite isn't as bad as it bark.

Nice!

Yeah, I'm definitely running the next two days- hoping to get a workout in tomorrow (intervals) if I can beat the weather and the roads aren't icy. Friday I'll go just to go a few or more (depending on if it hits and accumulation) as a scheduled recovery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Wow, I only got 7 or 8 inches Monday.

We had the 'perfect storm' of the big front that swooped through combined with the western edge of a big lake effect snowfall.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had everything ready, got all my house stuff done, kids taken care of, 2-4pm sun is shining, it’s above 20f, roads mostly clear, I’m pumped

and then my wife says I’d really like to walk outside but it’s ok you go and I’ll go on the peloton and here we are 3 hours later, she got the sunshine and I ran in the dark.....again.  A lot less room on the roads with these snowbanks.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

I had everything ready, got all my house stuff done, kids taken care of, 2-4pm sun is shining, it’s above 20f, roads mostly clear, I’m pumped

and then my wife says I’d really like to walk outside but it’s ok you go and I’ll go on the peloton and here we are 3 hours later, she got the sunshine and I ran in the dark.....again.  A lot less room on the roads with these snowbanks.

Kids not old enough to leave on their own while you both go out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Oh I’d totally leave them(10, 8, 5) but my wife panics.

Ours are the same age. If we left them here alone our 5 year old would torch the house. He almost does on a semi-regular basis with us here.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Oh I’d totally leave them(10, 8, 5) but my wife panics.

Goes without saying.

But imo, still a little young...especially with three of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Ours are the same age. If we left them here alone our 5 year old would torch the house. He almost does on a semi-regular basis with us here.

This is exactly what I needed to read at 3:53am.

  • Laughing 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Yeah, I'm definitely running the next two days- hoping to get a workout in tomorrow (intervals) if I can beat the weather and the roads aren't icy.

Current forecast has the snow starting at 7...maybe. this is going to work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, El Floppo said:
17 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

I've run 5 straight days and I think I'm going to make it 6 by going early tomorrow.  I'll take Friday as a Peloton day due to craptastic weather.  Although, everything I'm hearing about this storm is it is still pretty uncertain what its going to do and it may not materialize like they are predicted.  So don't be surprised if its bite isn't as bad as it bark.

Nice!

Yeah, I'm definitely running the next two days- hoping to get a workout in tomorrow (intervals) if I can beat the weather and the roads aren't icy. Friday I'll go just to go a few or more (depending on if it hits and accumulation) as a scheduled recovery. 

Ok...my morning procrastinating finally caught up with me. Missed beating the start of the snow- had just started enough to give a nice slick coat on the ground. Not as nice looking as yours this am.

Did my best with the intervals, but had to slow a bit by necessity. One stretch went under the FDR downtown, so mostly dry and allowed me to open up a bit. Legs still feel like they're not turning over like how I remember, but I'm also 15 years older than how I remember. All in all, a nice workout...loved getting out there and pushing a bit.

 

 

I mentioned seeing a lot more runners than I ever remember. It used to be just a handful of regulars down here on the east river...a couple of them complete characters. Those are mostly gone and replaced with hordes of sorority/fraternity bros...but I've noticed a couple of regular characters again. Older mouth wide open like he's yawning guy and midage floodwater, wide legged bright red pants guy. And old chinese guy who walk/runs in street clothes yelling full volume "AAAAAAH...AH-AH-AH" is still around from the old days.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My new pair of aftershokz probably getting delivered today. pretty excited about that but I only run with music part of the time but not having the option is kind of a bummer.

Picked up a new pair of shoes over the weekend and ran in them for the first time last night. I still feel all giddy like a kid whenever I get a new pair. 

Also, after all the talk in here about the Monumental, I'm pumped. So looking forward that race (and the HM a month before - although haven't officially signed up for it yet). The world better not shut down again! 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Iguana said:

My new pair of aftershokz probably getting delivered today. pretty excited about that but I only run with music part of the time but not having the option is kind of a bummer.

I've never run with music in my entire life but have started to consider it lately. I've got some Jabra 75t Elite Active that should arrive tomorrow and I'm considering it. I mainly purchased them for cycling around this 3.5km loop here in Paris that is closed off to cars (and yes mom, I would only put them in once I am at the loop).

BUT, I do want to give running with them a try as well. My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

I've looked at something like this to use instead of a phone.... but seems expensive for this one and only purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harris said:

I've never run with music in my entire life but have started to consider it lately. I've got some Jabra 75t Elite Active that should arrive tomorrow and I'm considering it. I mainly purchased them for cycling around this 3.5km loop here in Paris that is closed off to cars (and yes mom, I would only put them in once I am at the loop).

BUT, I do want to give running with them a try as well. My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

I've looked at something like this to use instead of a phone.... but seems expensive for this one and only purpose.

FlipBelt, FTW

I've had mine over a couple years now.  Love it.  Throw my phone in there.  Sometimes keys or gels or napkins or credit cards or money.  Also can hold water bottles if you want. 

They have a zippered version now too that I would probably recommend as sometimes I've been worried my car key would fall out (even though it hasn't). 

I can't even tell I'm wearing it when I run.  I've also used it during traveling as well.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harris said:

My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

Cellular-enabled Apple watch with music (on one wrist, Garmin on the other).  No need for a phone...or wallet or credit card, for that matter.

Edited by gruecd
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Harris said:

I've never run with music in my entire life but have started to consider it lately. I've got some Jabra 75t Elite Active that should arrive tomorrow and I'm considering it. I mainly purchased them for cycling around this 3.5km loop here in Paris that is closed off to cars (and yes mom, I would only put them in once I am at the loop).

BUT, I do want to give running with them a try as well. My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

I've looked at something like this to use instead of a phone.... but seems expensive for this one and only purpose.

These shorts have a zippered pocket just below the waistband in the back.  Phone fits perfectly, and I don't even notice that it's there.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harris said:

I've never run with music in my entire life but have started to consider it lately. I've got some Jabra 75t Elite Active that should arrive tomorrow and I'm considering it. I mainly purchased them for cycling around this 3.5km loop here in Paris that is closed off to cars (and yes mom, I would only put them in once I am at the loop).

BUT, I do want to give running with them a try as well. My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

I've looked at something like this to use instead of a phone.... but seems expensive for this one and only purpose.

Music is on my watch - I've got the Garmin VivoActive3 w/music. Bluetooths to the headphones. Also note - the Aftershokz are bone conduction headphones so still get to hear ambient sounds, namely cars, etc. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harris said:

I've never run with music in my entire life but have started to consider it lately. I've got some Jabra 75t Elite Active that should arrive tomorrow and I'm considering it. I mainly purchased them for cycling around this 3.5km loop here in Paris that is closed off to cars (and yes mom, I would only put them in once I am at the loop).

BUT, I do want to give running with them a try as well. My main negative has always been having to take my phone with me. So much bouncing around with each step. What do you guys use? Arm bands? Race belt-like things? Neon fanny packs? 

I've looked at something like this to use instead of a phone.... but seems expensive for this one and only purpose.

I’ve gone arm band, flip belt and a watch that stores music the winner for me is good shorts with the back center pocket and a good drawstring. Path Projects are my preferred, I need to try the ones Z links 👆for half the $

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

link from within the link to those shorts intrigue me... I'm a huge fan of wearing compression shorts under my running shorts. These with the compression and shorts built together AND an inner pocket look interesting... 

The way I sweat, I'd have to come back from each run and put my phone straight into a bag of rice...

Edited by gruecd
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gruecd said:

Cellular-enabled Apple watch with music (on one wrist, Garmin on the other).  No need for a phone...or wallet or credit card, for that matter.

This is the ultimate setup IMO.  I run and bike with arm band and phone.  Today I have a flip belt arriving to give that a shot because the $10 arm band is toast after 10 months of hard use.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just carry my phone and play my music or podcast on the speaker.   No headphones needed.

 

Admittedly, I run on roads that have very little traffic so I can easily hear whatever I'm playing along with whatever is happening around me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...