What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (16 Viewers)

The roads are a mess here after today's snow. More expected overnight. Tomorrow's run is going to be a thing.
I made the mistake of not scouting out my route for yesterday's run beforehand, so I was dismayed to fund the sidewalks all along my 12-mile out-and-back totally not runnable.  Ended up running the whole thing on the 3-lane road in the right-turn-only lane.  Ended up not being that bad, but people were definitely looking at me like WTF is this guy doing.

I made the mistake of not scouting out my route for yesterday's run beforehand, so I was dismayed to fund the sidewalks all along my 12-mile out-and-back totally not runnable.  Ended up running the whole thing on the 3-lane road in the right-turn-only lane.  Ended up not being that bad, but people were definitely looking at me like WTF is this guy doing.
I know Wisconsin isn't new york, but running on roads scares the hell out of me here. Stay safe, GB

I know Wisconsin isn't new york, but running on roads scares the hell out of me here. Stay safe, GB
I run on roads all the time, but they're normally lightly-traveled suburban roads.  This was a little different, but I had a narrow window to get it done, so I didn't have time to pivot and go somewhere else.

I run on roads all the time, but they're normally lightly-traveled suburban roads.  This was a little different, but I had a narrow window to get it done, so I didn't have time to pivot and go somewhere else.
Do you run with traffic or against traffic?

This is why I have just been bobbing and weaving around my neighborhood since December. Sidewalks are generally not an option here once winter hits. Our burb has 2 of these that clear off the sidewalks on the main roads after impactful snow, but it's only runnable for a day or two after they come through. Neighboring burbs and the metroparks use them more frequently, but experience has proven it's not wise to rely on them without scouting in advance.

Between the crunchy ice, black ice and sheets of ice I am just glad to didn’t eat it this morning. I was fooled by my neighborhood roads being just wet and puddly and should have either stayed in bed or in the neighborhood. 

Next couple days are going to be crap with temps as projected to do a dumb tiny melt/refreeze, will need to high point temps and scope some clear shoulders to get a decent weekend. 

Between the crunchy ice, black ice and sheets of ice I am just glad to didn’t eat it this morning. I was fooled by my neighborhood roads being just wet and puddly and should have either stayed in bed or in the neighborhood. 

Next couple days are going to be crap with temps as projected to do a dumb tiny melt/refreeze, will need to high point temps and scope some clear shoulders to get a decent weekend. 
The switch is getting flipped Sunday - keep grinding, we're almost there...

Full in St. Louis.  According to @gianmarco, it's going to be a flat, fast course, although I've yet to see a course map...

Hoping to use this one as a tune-up race (ideally 3:05-3:10) then hit it hard and go for a PR in November.
The 2021 Marathon will be run primarily on the Great Rivers Greenway: Mississippi Greenway, a paved pedestrian and bike trail that follows the Mississippi River.  The course will be measured and USATF certified, and a Boston Marathon qualifier.  The Mississippi Greenway is a mostly flat trail that starts at the Chain of Rocks Bridge north of downtown St. Louis, and heads directly south towards the city’s downtown area.  The race will end downtown at beautiful Kiener Plaza with a backdrop of the Gateway Arch! 

Final course map will be posted soon.

The 2021 Marathon will be run primarily on the Great Rivers Greenway: Mississippi Greenway, a paved pedestrian and bike trail that follows the Mississippi River.  The course will be measured and USATF certified, and a Boston Marathon qualifier.  The Mississippi Greenway is a mostly flat trail that starts at the Chain of Rocks Bridge north of downtown St. Louis, and heads directly south towards the city’s downtown area.  The race will end downtown at beautiful Kiener Plaza with a backdrop of the Gateway Arch! 

Final course map will be posted soon.
See. Liar.

Haven't run since Sunday.  Longest break since my injury back last summer.

Did weights twice and the stairs once.  The latter destroyed my calves.  Apparently you don't use your calves like that when running or climbing regular mountains.

Sun is out here in DFW today, and hoping it will burn enough of the snow off to prevent another freeze cycle tonight.  If it looks good, I'm hoping to get a long run in tomorrow.

Haven't run since Sunday.  Longest break since my injury back last summer.

Did weights twice and the stairs once.  The latter destroyed my calves.  Apparently you don't use your calves like that when running or climbing regular mountains.

Sun is out here in DFW today, and hoping it will burn enough of the snow off to prevent another freeze cycle tonight.  If it looks good, I'm hoping to get a long run in tomorrow.
Have you gone and run around White Rock Lake yet?  I know it's a bit of a hike for you, but I ran it once when I was in Dallas for work, and it was really nice.  If you're ever interested in running with a group and meeting some other running peeps, I could put you in touch with a few of my friends who run there regularly.

Have you gone and run around White Rock Lake yet?  I know it's a bit of a hike for you, but I ran it once when I was in Dallas for work, and it was really nice.  If you're ever interested in running with a group and meeting some other running peeps, I could put you in touch with a few of my friends who run there regularly.
I haven't.  Now that I'm in DFW for the next few months, I should have a weekend I can give it a try.  It is a 45-minute drive from my house, so maybe just once to see what it's like.  

The upside of my neighbourhood is that I have a lake/river running paths I can run to without having to get in my car.  The downside is that as such I have little incentive to try something new.

But definitely worth a go. You're not the only person who has suggested this to me.

My fun yesterday afternoon and again this morning (with more this afternoon) is being at the top of my heavy wooden ladder, clearing snow and hammering away at the bad ice buildup along the gutters of the roof of my tall, two story house.  At least if I fall, I've got a lot of snow to land in.

And it's snowing again.

Want to get 15+/- in tomorrow, but it's going to be a slog.
Yep.  I'd like to get in about 10 tomorrow, but I just got back from running over lunch and it was pretty crappy.  I had three options:

1. Run in the middle of the road where there is the most traction, but piles of slush that instantly soak your feet
  2. Run along the road shoulder where there is a small coating, and have your foot slip with each pushoff due to the liquid underneath
  3. Run on the sidewalks, which have ~1" if they were cleared this morning, but a sizable minority of homeowners didn't clear them at all, and it's surprisingly hard to tell in advance if the next property has 1" or 6" of snow on it.
Hoping it clears up tomorrow.

Also, thought of you - did the NJIT campus tour this week with child #2 and one of the other kids on the tour wanted to do architecture.  I know Newark is nothing like the LES to true city people, but they're all semi-related to outlanders like me.

Yep. 

1. Run on the sidewalks, which have ~1" if they were cleared this morning, but a sizable minority of homeowners didn't clear them at all, and it's surprisingly hard to tell in advance if the next property has 1" or 6" of snow on it.
I learned the hard way that people who haven't cleared the recent snow are the same ones that probably didn't clear the last snowfall which has now turned to ice. 

I learned the hard way that people who haven't cleared the recent snow are the same ones that probably didn't clear the last snowfall which has now turned to ice. 
Definitely a correlation.  There are a couple of properties that I know to avoid as if they are cleared at all they will be cleared in lazy slipshod fashion.  There's been a bit of a wrinkle the last year or two as township code enforcement started going around and trying to fine the violators a few times, so overall behavior's been better since then.  Not sure what's up with this latest snowfall, as  a decent amount of houses that are normally on the ball have uncleared sidewalks.

a decent amount of houses that are normally on the ball have uncleared sidewalks.
Probably have the improper shovel for the specific type of snowfall.

It's a common misconception the basic snow shovel can indeed shovel all types of snow. But that's just not the case. For example:

1. Powder. Any commoners snow shovel will work for this. My preferred shovel is the 24" push shovel I got last year. Perfection.

2. Heavy wet snow. You need a metal bladed shovel with a stout handle. And by metal, I mean metal. Heavy. Strong. @Zasada probably couldn't lift this shovel. Or the snow.

3. Ice, then snow. You need the double here - a scraper and a shovel. Most folks don't consider the scraper as part of the arsenal. But that's what separates the men from the boys. This is the worst scenario. You go from scraper to shovel and back again - over and over and over. 

4. Basic snow. Just wet enough for a snow ball fight but light enough that you can do snow angels in it without soaking your pants. Your standard issue snow shovel works well here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a correlation.  There are a couple of properties that I know to avoid as if they are cleared at all they will be cleared in lazy slipshod fashion.  There's been a bit of a wrinkle the last year or two as township code enforcement started going around and trying to fine the violators a few times, so overall behavior's been better since then.  Not sure what's up with this latest snowfall, as  a decent amount of houses that are normally on the ball have uncleared sidewalks.
My parents visited last weekend and were surprised to learn there is no ordinance here about keeping the sidewalks cleared. My wife and I burst into laughter. If the city required us to keep our walks cleared then we'd spend all winter outside with a shovel in one hand and a beer in the other.

Hey...that doesn't sound so bad...

It's a common misconception the basic snow shovel can indeed shovel all types of snow. But that's just not the case. For example:

1. Powder. Any commoners snow shovel will work for this. My preferred shovel is the 24" push shovel I got last year. Perfection.

2. Heavy wet snow. You need a metal bladed shovel with a stout handle. And by metal, I mean metal. Heavy. Strong. @Zasada probably couldn't lift this shovel. Or the snow.

3. Ice, then snow. You need the double here - a scraper and a shovel. Most folks don't consider the scraper as part of the arsenal. But that's what separates the men from the boys. This is the worst scenario. You go from scraper to shovel and back again - over and over and over. 

4. Basic snow. Just wet enough for a snow ball fight but light enough that you can do snow angels in it without soaking your pants. Your standard issue snow shovel works well here.
I own zero shovels and zero snow.

While I do have a scraper that was handed down by my wife's grandfather, I must admit that I own only two, fairly basic snow shovels that we bought when we moved into our house decades ago.  I've been meaning to add because sometimes the kids will help and also the one shovel is a wussy girlie man shovel that just doesn't hold much snow.  Good for not throwing out your back, but takes too many scoops to clear an area for my liking.  My favorite technique with the larger shovel is to just barrel across my driveway like a human snowplow, then when I get to the side scoop the giant pile onto the grass.  It does wear you out fast, though.

While on the topic of snow shovels, given that my shovels have lasted 20+ years, I've never understood why the hardware stores run out of shovels in front of a snowstorm around here.  What are people doing with their shovels???  Do they throw them away when spring comes??

While I do have a scraper that was handed down by my wife's grandfather, I must admit that I own only two, fairly basic snow shovels that we bought when we moved into our house decades ago.  I've been meaning to add because sometimes the kids will help and also the one shovel is a wussy girlie man shovel that just doesn't hold much snow.  Good for not throwing out your back, but takes too many scoops to clear an area for my liking.  My favorite technique with the larger shovel is to just barrel across my driveway like a human snowplow, then when I get to the side scoop the giant pile onto the grass.  It does wear you out fast, though.

While on the topic of snow shovels, given that my shovels have lasted 20+ years, I've never understood why the hardware stores run out of shovels in front of a snowstorm around here.  What are people doing with their shovels???  Do they throw them away when spring comes??
I bought each of my three kids their own snow shovel. Depending on your location now is a great time to buy as the hardware stores are making room for grills and lawnmowers.

No idea what people do with 'em - my guess it's all the new homeowners for that particular year that don't realize they need one until they need one.

I bought each of my three kids their own snow shovel. Depending on your location now is a great time to buy as the hardware stores are making room for grills and lawnmowers.

No idea what people do with 'em - my guess it's all the new homeowners for that particular year that don't realize they need one until they need one.
Nothing says I Love You like a Valentine's Day shovel. 

ChiefD said:
You'd be proud of me, boss.  I've got a very old shovel, as described.  I've had to put repair the connection of said handle to the metal blade portion a couple of times with a new bolt and double nut (ha!  I said double nut).  The metal blade had gotten so worn that at the start of this season, I had to hacksaw off about a thin piece about 1 1/2" long on the left edge that had curled up through the years from tapping off snow stuck on the blade ..meaning that, yes, the full length of the rest of the blade had worn down by that much over the years/decades.  

What I tend to do is use this wide shovel to push snow toward the edges of the driveway and along our long sidewalk, and then use a lightweight ergonomic shovel to throw the snow ...performed, of course, with the preferred technique of bending the legs to assist in the lift and toss.

:waitsforaChiefDstampofapproval:

You'd be proud of me, boss.  I've got a very old shovel, as described.  I've had to put repair the connection of said handle to the metal blade portion a couple of times with a new bolt and double nut (ha!  I said double nut).  The metal blade had gotten so worn that at the start of this season, I had to hacksaw off about a thin piece about 1 1/2" long on the left edge that had curled up through the years from tapping off snow stuck on the blade ..meaning that, yes, the full length of the rest of the blade had worn down by that much over the years/decades.  

What I tend to do is use this wide shovel to push snow toward the edges of the driveway and along our long sidewalk, and then use a lightweight ergonomic shovel to throw the snow ...performed, of course, with the preferred technique of bending the legs to assist in the lift and toss.

:waitsforaChiefDstampofapproval:
This is how a man uses a shovel.

Take notes, gentlemen.  

:thumbup:

All the work today chipping away at the ice dams on my roof means this will end up being a step-back week before upping the mileage again next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread