Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

50 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Sounds like you need to look at getting better ventilation in your eaves.

Well then I need better ventilation in mine, too. :shrug:

• Replies 53.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Seriously, is that so?  I look around, and everyone is having this issue.

Yes.

You get ice dams when the warmer air over interior space on the roof melts the snow which then hits the roof over outside air eaves and freezes. You need to keep the roof properly ventilated to maintain the even air temp so no melting/freezing.

At least that's what I remember from grad school. Probably replaced with an app at this point

23 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Yes.

You get ice dams when the warmer air over interior space on the roof melts the snow which then hits the roof over outside air eaves and freezes. You need to keep the roof properly ventilated to maintain the even air temp so no melting/freezing.

At least that's what I remember from grad school. Probably replaced with an app at this point

Got it.  I've got an attic fan to help keep the attic cool in the summer.  Maybe I'll send my wife up there and have her manually spin the fan in the other direction for a few hours and see if that helps.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 3
3 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Maybe I'll send my wife up there and have her manually spin the fan in the other direction....

These euphemisms are out of control.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
36 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Got it.  I've got an attic fan to help keep the attic cool in the summer.  Maybe I'll send my wife up there and have her manually spin the fan in the other direction for a few hours and see if that helps.

I doubt that'll do it. You want to keep air flowing from the eave up to the ridge and out to keep the air right at the roof as consistent as possible to minimize the chance of the melt/freeze.

Or that'll really do it, euphemistically speaking. 

Oof.

Had a nice change of route run planned, heading over to the hudson river, up and over to central park to the lower loop and back down and east to the east river and home.

Hudson River roads/bike paths were basically a sheet of ice. Rough going until I go into city streets and the park, which was nice and clear. Gathered some steam and legs felt great getting traction on dry road. Went down 5th ave a ways and felt great, cut over east and the second I got to the east river....roar. east river bear attack stopped me almost in my tracks while I tried in vain to fight it off. I battled until a citibike station and then ended the run early for the ongoing battle on bike home. What happened next shocked even me...and I've seen some things.

Gotta say...I'm getting tired of this. Everything felt great prior, and I was excited to be pacing up for the last 2-4 miles. But that got cut short.

• Like 3

All this winter running has taken its toll on my back, so unplanned off day it is. Lovely wife just spent a good chunk of time working on it and I'll do some low impact strength work later. Hopefully it's just a one-two day thing as I signed up for a trail HM a week from today. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

Oof.

Had a nice change of route run planned, heading over to the hudson river, up and over to central park to the lower loop and back down and east to the east river and home.

Hudson River roads/bike paths were basically a sheet of ice. Rough going until I go into city streets and the park, which was nice and clear. Gathered some steam and legs felt great getting traction on dry road. Went down 5th ave a ways and felt great, cut over east and the second I got to the east river....roar. east river bear attack stopped me almost in my tracks while I tried in vain to fight it off. I battled until a citibike station and then ended the run early for the ongoing battle on bike home. What happened next shocked even me...and I've seen some things.

Gotta say...I'm getting tired of this. Everything felt great prior, and I was excited to be pacing up for the last 2-4 miles. But that got cut short.

Due to COVID, is stopping at a Starbucks not an option anymore? 

• Thinking 1
15 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

All the work today chipping away at the ice dams on my roof means this will end up being a step-back week before upping the mileage again next week.

First, if it’s not on Strava, it’s not a workout and does not count.

Second, this ice daming happens frequently in old houses (and maybe new ones too).  I’m assuming ice dams were a problem in this house 75 years ago?  Or is there some type of degradation over time that occurs that causes this to happen as the house gets older?  @El Floppo?  Anyone?

10 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Due to COVID, is stopping at a Starbucks not an option anymore? 

I'm on the rivers mostly...I'd have to find a starbucks and get there (I don't see my phone well without my glasses) and hope they're letting non-customers use the bathroom. But definitely a better option than dropping trow on madison avenue.

• Laughing 2

Went downtown to the indoor track for the first time in a long time. Lots of tiny circles to get to 7 miles but was fun. I didn't want to fight the ice on side streets or mess with traffic on the cleared ones. Worst part of the indoor track - it's toasty in there. Best part - the scenery. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bushdocda said:

Today will be a Christmas Story/Waterworld run as I dress like Randy and seek dry land/road. 

I’ll have the cold wind today. Stupid winter. 

That wasn’t that bad. Sun did a great job offsetting the wind and facilitating a melt.  The only thing almost as awesome as the sun is the new Mortal Combat trailer. 

7 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Oof.

Not sure what your pre-game looks like, but I wake up about 1.5-2 hours earlier than I normally would so I can avoid this issue. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JShare87 said:

Not sure what your pre-game looks like, but I wake up about 1.5-2 hours earlier than I normally would so I can avoid this issue. 

If I don't take care of business at home before leaving, I'll alter my plans to make sure I stay within a mile of home or one of frequent porta-potties at residential construction sites in my area (local forest preserve keeps a wintertime p-p as well).  My bear defenses are not what they used to be.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

If I don't take care of business at home before leaving, I'll alter my plans to make sure I stay within a mile of home or one of frequent porta-potties at residential construction sites in my area (local forest preserve keeps a wintertime p-p as well).  My bear defenses are not what they used to be.

One of the reasons I run with my phone is, probably twice a year, I call my wife to come pick me up due to a imminent bear attack. 

4 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

One of the reasons I run with my phone is, probably twice a year, I call my wife to come pick me up due to a imminent bear attack. 

Wait....wut?

This is unacceptable. Does she change your diaper too if you have an accident?

• Like 5
  • Laughing 3
29 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

The Call of Shame.  

• Laughing 1

I guess I'm fortunate I don't really run into these issues much. It seems I don't really see much of it from our midday runners ( @gruecd@MAC_32). One of the benefits of not running first thing in the morning, I suppose.

If I do ever run early, I do make sure I'm up with enough time to go. Just moving around, a little food, some coffee usually gets things going.

• Like 3

Oh, and since we like to talk about that stuff here anyway and having a clean undercarriage is ideal, especially for running, let me share something we invested in several months ago that has been amazing:

Luxe bidet

Pick this up and add it to your throne. You will wonder how you ever lived without it.

14 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I guess I'm fortunate I don't really run into these issues much. It seems I don't really see much of it from our midday runners ( @gruecd@MAC_32). One of the benefits of not running first thing in the morning, I suppose.

If I do ever run early, I do make sure I'm up with enough time to go. Just moving around, a little food, some coffee usually gets things going.

There are lots of reasons I avoid morning running, but this is definitely #2.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 8
  • Thinking 1
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Oh, and since we like to talk about that stuff here anyway and having a clean undercarriage is ideal, especially for running, let me share something we invested in several months ago that has been amazing:

Luxe bidet

Pick this up and add it to your throne. You will wonder how you ever lived without it.

I've always had visions that the bidet spray would miss its mark and end up shooting a geyser of water up the ceiling.

But looking at a video, those oscillating and pulsating features are, um, intriguing.  :unsure:

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
18 hours ago, The Iguana said:

Also, it wad nice to have my headphones back to help with the monotony. Thanks @Zasadafor pointing out the aftershokz sale. 

Got mine yesterday, and ran with them today.  Not light years ahead of the Plantronics Backbeat Fit I normally run with, but I could definitely hear more of my surroundings, and when running into a strong wind there was less wind noise in my ears.  It would be frustrating sometimes that the Plantronics+wind would create a lot of noise in my ears and drown out the podcast.  With the Aftershockz, it was less pronounced and I could hear my podcast better.

That said, are they $130ish better than the Plantronics (since I already have two pairs of those)?  Probably not.  But the Aftershockz were an impulse buy, and will probably be my go-to headphones now.

13 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Luxe bidet

Sweet. Amazon has some used ones too... :unsure:

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Finished what I started yesterday, run-wise. But the legs were a little tired.

Forgot we went sledding in central park yesterday- fun time.

ETA...and no poo.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Finished what I started yesterday, run-wise. But the legs were a little tired.

Forgot we went sledding in central park yesterday- fun time.

ETA...and no poo.

while sitting on the sofa post-run, I had the audacity to reach over to the coffee table for my bagel. 

Back is done.

It was either that 30sec plank I did in January, or the sledding. Don't think it's a bad/long term one- hoping not to lose anyileage this week. I've got to go survey a house upstate tomorrow with the boss...not going to be pleasant, or if like it is now, even possible. 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

while sitting on the sofa post-run, I had the audacity to reach over to the coffee table for my bagel. 

Back is done.

It was either that 30sec plank I did in January, or the sledding. Don't think it's a bad/long term one- hoping not to lose anyileage this week. I've got to go survey a house upstate tomorrow with the boss...not going to be pleasant, or if like it is now, even possible. 

Stretch your hamstrings.  This has often been the culprit for any lower back pain/spasm/tightening I've had.

1)  Try to stand, legs shoulder width apart, and just hang down.

2)  Lying on your back, raise your straight leg and have someone help you stretch it. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Stretch your hamstrings.  This has often been the culprit for any lower back pain/spasm/tightening I've had.

1)  Try to stand, legs shoulder width apart, and just hang down.

2)  Lying on your back, raise your straight leg and have someone help you stretch it. 

Thanks.

I'm going to start with muscle relaxers, moaning and booze and work my to that stuff you mentioned.

• Laughing 7
30 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks.

I'm going to start with muscle relaxers, moaning and booze and work my to that stuff you mentioned.

Booze definitely helped. I'm gonna be fine, but I'm giving mine longer than the day or 2 I planned. Juice ain't worth the squeeze to stay on schedule, especially cause I think mine has been more working conditions related and not winter running. Once I thought about it made sense, during renovation I've been working on the basement couch and my spot has my hips lower than my knees - more stress on the lower back. Derp.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Booze definitely helped. I'm gonna be fine, but I'm giving mine longer than the day or 2 I planned. Juice ain't worth the squeeze to stay on schedule, especially cause I think mine has been more working conditions related and not winter running. Once I thought about it made sense, during renovation I've been working on the basement couch and my spot has my hips lower than my knees - more stress on the lower back. Derp.

With the obvious bouncing around on the sled with floppinha, I hadn't thought about the 4-5 miles running on ice yesterday (and more during the week) adding to the back tweak. But now that I think about it, the back was a little sore during my run this am- like the beginning of a stitch- at the exact spot I did it later.

So just to be like Mac, I'm signing up for a giant trail race next weekend.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks.

If it helps, I’m on my back patio listening to Margaritaville while watching the ice melt. 
edit- good plan, good luck in a being just a twinge. I once had the audacity to look upwards in my garage rafters to find kayak paddle and my back went WtF for 2 days. 

Edited by bushdocda

16km today, which was definitely my longest run since the baby. Easy 4km to meet up with a few friends and then casual chat pace the rest of the way to a coffee shop. 

Then a bit of a stroll around town with Mrs. H and Baby H to enjoy the sunshine.

Let's feeling heavy tonight but some Koval single barrel taking care of that. We just booked 10 days in the south in mid-March for a bit of R&R and a mini training camp. Should be a nice stretch to really get into form.

Edited by Harris
  • Like 6
1 minute ago, Harris said:

16km today, which was definitely my longest run since the baby. Easy 4km to meet up with a few friends and then casual chat pace the rest of the way to a coffee shop. 

Then a bit of a stroll around town with Mrs. H and Baby H to enjoy the sunshine.

Let's feeling heavy tonight but some Koval single barrel taking care of that. We just booked 10 days in the south in mid-March for a bit of R&R and maybe a mini solo training camp. Should be a nice stretch to really get into form.

Mississippi or Alabama?

• Laughing 2
19 hours ago, gianmarco said:

My bear issues are when I run later in the day.  I think once in 10 years its really been an issue in the AM.  My wife wouldn't be happy about a 6 a.m. call asking her to come pick me up.  Its almost better to deal with the bear on my own than deal with her wrath at that hour.

3 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

All this poop talk is getting me in the mood......

.....for my first ever colonoscopy tomorrow morning.  Commence the cleanse of my insides now!

Have fun! 

Maybe too late to use gians bidet...but would've been perfect timing.

2 hours ago, Harris said:

Let's feeling heavy tonight but some Koval single barrel taking care of that. We just booked 10 days in the south in mid-March for a bit of R&R and a mini training camp. Should be a nice stretch to really get into form.

Where in the south (of France)?

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

My bear issues are when I run later in the day.  I think once in 10 years its really been an issue in the AM.  My wife wouldn't be happy about a 6 a.m. call asking her to come pick me up.  Its almost better to deal with the bear on my own than deal with her wrath at that hour.

As a wise man once said, the bear you know is better than the bear you don’t know...

• Thinking 1

I can bearly move.

I see what I did there. But yeah...this may be more than a day. Had planned on an off day tomorrow anyways but will have to play it by ear before my root-riddled ultra with mac next weekend.

35 minutes ago, gruecd said:

As a wise man once said, the bear you know is better than the bear you don’t know...

That's some serious fortune cookie level stuff there.

• Thanks 1

PSA: If one is out on a run and it’s unexpectedly cold/windy, but one has a mask along because he was planning to stop somewhere for water, that mask can strategically be placed in one’s pants to protect one’s peen.

(Prob don’t wanna use it on your face anymore though after that)

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
2 minutes ago, gruecd said:

PSA: If one is out on a run and it’s unexpectedly cold/windy, but one has a mask along because he was planning to stop somewhere for water, that mask can strategically be placed in one’s pants to protect one’s peen.

Just turn it inside out.

Oh, you mean because of the small hole you created?

• Laughing 3
11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Just turn it inside out.

Oh, you mean because of the small hole you created?

We can’t all have baby arms like you, Mr. Jeremy.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I’ve stuffed my dong in the finger of a glove before.

• Laughing 2