What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

I can bearly move.

I see what I did there. But yeah...this may be more than a day. Had planned on an off day tomorrow anyways but will have to play it by ear before my root-riddled ultra with mac next weekend.
One day at a time. I was there this time yesterday, but after sampling a half dozen different types of bourbon tonight I am in no pain at all.

Where in the south (of France)?
Provence region. A bit east of Avignon near to Luberon National Park.

We're not looking to do much besides exploring some villages (hoping to find a renegade village that has some cafes open at least) and a few hikes. Just getting away from Paris is sometimes a vacation in itself.

The irony of this statement made me laugh...
Ha, man it's nice to visit I'm sure but living here is a grind sometimes.

ETA for clarification... I do like living here and appreciate it a lot. But it's a love/hate relationship depending on what we're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
damn. It's a colonoscopy, not a drivers license. You don't have to get that the exact moment you turn 50.
Ha ha.  My wife was on my ### because they lowered the age to 45.   I went to the doc and he said the insurance companies can still be difficult before 50.  So he scheduled it right after my 50th.  🙂 

Colonoscopy finished and I’m home.  Perfect looking colon with zero polyps to speak of.

I’ll take it easy today and hopefully be back tomorrow.
I've always said it...that steelcurtain has one hell of a colon.

Congrats man. I had one recently, but hadn't adequately flushed everything...everything visible was clear but need to get it done again in a year to get to the rest. Can't wait.

Ha ha.  My wife was on my ### because they lowered the age to 45.   I went to the doc and he said the insurance companies can still be difficult before 50.  So he scheduled it right after my 50th.  🙂 
I did the same for the wife since she had a positive family history.  Insurance was a disaster getting it covered like you said. 

Happy Birthday!

My back is bad today. More pain, less flexible..I barely slept.

Been stretching, using hot water bottle and a massager along with ibuprofen and muscle relaxer. No booze yet. Hoping to get this loosened up before my 24hr trail race this weekend.

My back is bad today. More pain, less flexible..I barely slept.

Been stretching, using hot water bottle and a massager along with ibuprofen and muscle relaxer. No booze yet. Hoping to get this loosened up before my 24hr trail race this weekend.
Looking at the forecast it's gonna be coated in ice and soaked in mud too. Mine's also tight this morning, so I should probably pour something brown (Steel Curtain>hi) soon.

Looking at the forecast it's gonna be coated in ice and soaked in mud too. Mine's also tight this morning, so I should probably pour something brown (Steel Curtain>hi) soon.
Have been able to run with it?

I honestly can barely walk today. I was looking forward to getting a third consecutive 40m week in, but at this rate I'll take just being able to stand up without pain.

Have been able to run with it?

I honestly can barely walk today. I was looking forward to getting a third consecutive 40m week in, but at this rate I'll take just being able to stand up without pain.
Probably, but I don't think the risk is worth it. It's much better today (no pain meds yet), so I intend to do strength work today then test it out on a run Wednesday morning. 

Provence region. A bit east of Avignon near to Luberon National Park.

We're not looking to do much besides exploring some villages (hoping to find a renegade village that has some cafes open at least) and a few hikes. Just getting away from Paris is sometimes a vacation in itself.
Cool!  My wife and I had the opportunity a few years ago to travel in that area, although my wife was generally clueless about where we headed.  Her only goals were to see Giverny and to get down to Barcelona, which we did ...loved both; especially the AirBnB on the main drag of tiny Giverny (Monet's garden).  When we headed south, we based in Avignon for a few days (in a small, six room hotel ...accessing our room by ascending up a centuries-old turret).  One day we rented a car and drove east, though ending up north of Luberon.  It happened to be peak lavender season, and my wife had no idea about where we were headed (so fun to just randomly stop by and stroll into lavender fields).  We stopped in the awesome little town of L'isle-sur-la-Sorgue with all of its water wheels, then drove on to the incredible site of the cliffside town of Gordes.  Both are worth a visit ...the views of and from Gordes are spectacular (worth a cafe visit), especially driving in from the west.  There's a neat monastery north of Gordes, too.  We ended up getting as far as Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, which seems to be due north of where you'll be.  Definitely getting into the hills by that point!  

Still not moving well. Getting better thankfully, but with the way I'm walking ("it looks like youre an old man who needs to poop, dad") I don't see running for a few more days. Sucks. We've got tropical 40deg weather too...

Still not moving well. Getting better thankfully, but with the way I'm walking ("it looks like youre an old man who needs to poop, dad") I don't see running for a few more days. Sucks. We've got tropical 40deg weather too...
34F when I ran this morning, upper body clothing was on point but my legs got really sweaty, probably shorts over tights if this heat wave continues.

30 is about when I’ll wear shorts. Varies though depending on wind, sun, anticipated pace, how long I’ll be running and mood.

Son finally starting up soccer practice today.  Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll get 1.5 hours to run while he is at practice. Some new territory to explore, so I'll be able to get some nice base building done by adding two runs per week that will be somewhere in the 6-9 mile range depending on what run I decide to do.

I've been missing these types of runs desperately - nice, slow endurance building runs during the week that I never have time for.

God bless spring. 

Son finally starting up soccer practice today.  Tuesdays and Thursdays I'll get 1.5 hours to run while he is at practice. Some new territory to explore, so I'll be able to get some nice base building done by adding two runs per week that will be somewhere in the 6-9 mile range depending on what run I decide to do.

I've been missing these types of runs desperately - nice, slow endurance building runs during the week that I never have time for.

God bless spring. 
Same

A hopefully unneeded PSA to stay vigilant out there.  I had a bit of a close call on my run today.  I was in the street running against traffic and as I started to pass a cross street from a cul de sac on the left there was a vehicle heading towards me.  Maybe he was just braking late, but it seemed to me that he did not see me coming (we have a crazy amount of snow on the ground right now, so 3-4 foot piles at intersections are common) and was planning on rolling through.  It was too late to make a left and tuck in beside him, so my only option was to swerve right and speed up to try to clear the intersection before him.

It would have been his fault for sure, but that's small consolation to the person getting hit.  I try to run super defensively and I spent the rest of my run chiding myself for not having recognized the potential for trouble beforehand.  

A hopefully unneeded PSA to stay vigilant out there.  I had a bit of a close call on my run today.  I was in the street running against traffic and as I started to pass a cross street from a cul de sac on the left there was a vehicle heading towards me.  Maybe he was just braking late, but it seemed to me that he did not see me coming (we have a crazy amount of snow on the ground right now, so 3-4 foot piles at intersections are common) and was planning on rolling through.  It was too late to make a left and tuck in beside him, so my only option was to swerve right and speed up to try to clear the intersection before him.

It would have been his fault for sure, but that's small consolation to the person getting hit.  I try to run super defensively and I spent the rest of my run chiding myself for not having recognized the potential for trouble beforehand.  
They were making a right into your street and rolled through as you were running against traffic? Did I get that right?

Nyc doesn't allow any turns on reds, so not a problem here. but I noticed that being an issue in MD when I was there in the spring. I realized I do it too when driving...I'm not looking for anybody from the right going the wrong way, just looking left for oncoming traffic when I make my right.

They were making a right into your street and rolled through as you were running against traffic? Did I get that right?

Nyc doesn't allow any turns on reds, so not a problem here. but I noticed that being an issue in MD when I was there in the spring. I realized I do it too when driving...I'm not looking for anybody from the right going the wrong way, just looking left for oncoming traffic when I make my right.
Yeah you nailed it, but they had a stop sign rather than a light as the street they were turning from has like 8 houses on it.  If it was springtime and I had advanced warning of their approach, I probably would have either hopped onto the sidewalk and turned down their street or looked behind me and if traffic was clear I would have swung to running with traffic. 

As it was I didn't notice them until they were almost on me, but I'm not sure if it was because they were completely obscured by the snow bank or if I was partially zoned out.  I generally try to run in such a way that even if the vehicles have no idea I am there they can't possibly hit me.

Cool!  My wife and I had the opportunity a few years ago to travel in that area, although my wife was generally clueless about where we headed.  Her only goals were to see Giverny and to get down to Barcelona, which we did ...loved both; especially the AirBnB on the main drag of tiny Giverny (Monet's garden).  When we headed south, we based in Avignon for a few days (in a small, six room hotel ...accessing our room by ascending up a centuries-old turret).  One day we rented a car and drove east, though ending up north of Luberon.  It happened to be peak lavender season, and my wife had no idea about where we were headed (so fun to just randomly stop by and stroll into lavender fields).  We stopped in the awesome little town of L'isle-sur-la-Sorgue with all of its water wheels, then drove on to the incredible site of the cliffside town of Gordes.  Both are worth a visit ...the views of and from Gordes are spectacular (worth a cafe visit), especially driving in from the west.  There's a neat monastery north of Gordes, too.  We ended up getting as far as Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt, which seems to be due north of where you'll be.  Definitely getting into the hills by that point!  
Thanks for this! I was in the area for a bit about 12 years ago but mostly just passing through. We are staying in between Gordes and L'Isle -sur-la-Sorgue, a stone's throw from both. I think the monastery you mentioned is the Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque. It's about a 10km walk from our AirBnB so maybe we'll make a day out of it going to/from. Which means I should probably go find a baby hiking carrier...

My search-fu is nonexistent, but I did try (and come up empty).

A while back, someone posted about a relay race in the Apr/May 2021 timeframe.  I responded that I would be up for 2022, but couldn't jump in for 2021 because of a conflict with Miwok.

With Miwok now canceled (again, sigh), I'm "in" for this relay in 2021.  If it's still happening.  And if you guys still have any interest.

My search-fu is nonexistent, but I did try (and come up empty).

A while back, someone posted about a relay race in the Apr/May 2021 timeframe.  I responded that I would be up for 2022, but couldn't jump in for 2021 because of a conflict with Miwok.

With Miwok now canceled (again, sigh), I'm "in" for this relay in 2021.  If it's still happening.  And if you guys still have any interest.
Maybe the one @Dr_Zaius mentioned?

Question for you peeps - would there be any interest in doing something like this relay?  I know the Midwest crew pulled off some epicness, and this is a lot closer for some of us East Coasters and looks like a really cool course for history buffs.  I found it a few years ago and tried to drum up support at work, but my running coworkers are lame apparently.  I doubt 2021 goes off, but maybe 2022.
@Zasada Couldn't find it with the search function, but managed to scroll back through posts and locate it - it's a Ragnar Race, Gettysburg to Washington.

No point in making plans for 2021 right now given all of the uncertainty, so we'll tentatively say 2022 with an audible option for 2021 if things happen to break that way.  It's a twelve man team, and if I've tallied properly I have:
It seemed like the general consensus was to wait for 2022.  I just checked the website, and they do have a countdown clock for 2021 although I wonder if it will actually go off this year- there are a lot of different jurisdictions to get approval from, and the areas it goes through tend to be on the stricter side compared to most of the country.

If I have it up to date, the interest list is below:

Probables (6) : gianmarco, chiefD, tri-man, juxt, bushdocda, Zasada , Dr_Z

Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter (5) : El Floppo, mac, Oz, juxt, pbm

Interested but specific date doesn't work (1) : SteelCurtain

@Zasada Couldn't find it with the search function, but managed to scroll back through posts and locate it - it's a Ragnar Race, Gettysburg to Washington.

It seemed like the general consensus was to wait for 2022.  I just checked the website, and they do have a countdown clock for 2021 although I wonder if it will actually go off this year- there are a lot of different jurisdictions to get approval from, and the areas it goes through tend to be on the stricter side compared to most of the country.

I would put me down as a no for either this year or next. 

I made it to the office today!

Still walking like an old man who has to poop. No idea when I'll be able to run, let alone walk without pain...and dammit- it's in the 50s here, and first time seeing the sun in weeks.

Trying to feed peloton info into Garmin because I want the Garmin knowing how much I’m doing on the peloton so it doesn’t think I’m lazy.  Really screwing up my Strava.  Why can’t Garmin and peloton just be bros, so annoying.

Also I don’t know FBG username but initials ES ran 6.09 miles today at 8min/mile with a heart rate like he was walking.  I’ve been thinking about that run all day, I ran up the stairs and my HR was higher than that run.

ridiculous

Pretty sure I've mentioned the asparagus before but I've found a number of spicy pickled or brined veggies that I love to eat after a run. Brussel sprouts, jalapeno stuffed olives, spicy pickles, etc. Low in calories, replenish the "electrolytes",  and just plain tasty. 

Dr_Zaius said:

:popcorn:  

Will look forward to following. 

Maybe next year.

Pretty sure I've mentioned the asparagus before but I've found a number of spicy pickled or brined veggies that I love to eat after a run. Brussel sprouts, jalapeno stuffed olives, spicy pickles, etc. Low in calories, replenish the "electrolytes",  and just plain tasty. 
Sounds like something @Zasada should eat right before he goes for a run.

Sounds like something @Zasada should eat right before he goes for a run.
I think I've only had MRP on two of my last 20-30 runs.  Both were caused by opting for the fake-meat/vegetarian dinner the night before, instead of the real-meat thing.

My wife is in DFW with me now (WOOO!!!), but the downside of that is she's veg and I tend to eat more like her when we're eating together.

Users who are viewing this thread