Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

On 2/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, The Iguana said:

About to go out on a run but had a massive bear attack before leaving the house. For those also following the weight loss thread, this is so substantial that I may weigh in under 200 tomorrow for the first time in a long time. 

Almost better than sex...almost

Nice job MAC, like the rest I had to sit down and relax after reading that. Helluva effort :thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 52.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Updated the race sheet, thanks for starting this @Juxtatarot.

I'm targeting a few races, but no idea which one(s) I'll actually run.  Good to see others getting some races on the calendar as well!

2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

@SteelCurtain, I see in the race calendar you list Boston as a 3:30 'fun run.'  First of all, :finger:  :rolleyes:   Second, and seriously, might you have any interest in running that a few minutes faster and playing pacer, if it works out ....training and corral-wise?  

If all goes right, that sounds like a good plan.  I want to make it a good training run for Indy so I'm happy to play pacer for a day!  🙂

I only threw 3:30 up there because in 2018 during the monsoon with 30 mph headwinds, I made it a fun run and ran 3:31.  I'll hopefully be in good shape by then to pace you for a good segment if not the entire race. 

Edited by SteelCurtain
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

He'll fight through it if he knows there's a glute massage waiting at the end.

Is that offer good for me, too?  :wub:

I'm honestly still debating if I can fun run Boston without jeopardizing my PR attempt at Indy.  @SteelCurtainseems to think that he can do it, so why can't I?

(If I'm being honest with myself, there's no way I'm skipping what will certainly be a very special Boston Marathon if it actually happens...)

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Is that offer good for me, too?  :wub:

I'm honestly still debating if I can fun run Boston without jeopardizing my PR attempt at Indy.  @SteelCurtainseems to think that he can do it, so why can't I?

(If I'm being honest with myself, there's no way I'm skipping what will certainly be a very special Boston Marathon if it actually happens...)

I've actually considered that, my friend.  I would be super-psyched and incredibly humbled to have both of you plowing the road.  On one hand, the two of you, at an easier pace for each of you, could enjoy the event together (leaving me less stressed that you're 'burdened' with me).  You two could chatter away while I zen out.  On the other hand, if my training is sufficient, we'd roll along with the possibility of bringing me in near the top of a Boston AG.  That'd be an epic, helluva team effort for our BMF crew. 

[ @SteelCurtain will be snappin' pics ("look, tri-man's starting to drool") while @gruecd be all "SC, check the ### on that blonde up ahead."]

I can hear @gianmarco already: "Be careful what you wish for."   :lmao:   :unsure:   

Edited by tri-man 47
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

I've actually considered that, my friend.  I would be super-psyched and incredibly humbled to have both of you plowing the road.  On one hand, the two of you, at an easier pace for each of you, could enjoy the event together (leaving me less stressed that you're 'burdened' with me).  You two could chatter away while I zen out.  On the other hand, if my training is sufficient, we'd roll along with the possibility of bringing me in near the top of a Boston AG.  That'd be an epic, helluva team effort for our BMF crew. 

[ @SteelCurtain will be snappin' pics ("look, tri-man's starting to drool") while @gruecd be all "SC, check the ### on that blond up ahead."]

I can hear @gianmarco already: "Be careful what you wish for."   :lmao:   :unsure:   

"Have Grue pace you", they said.

"It'll be fun", they said.

• Laughing 9
9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

"Have Grue pace you", they said.

"It'll be fun", they said.

Can't argue with the results though!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

It’s almost light outside when I start running in the mornings so, if memory serves me correctly, it’s almost time to spring forward into darkness.

Not this weekend but the one after... 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

It’s almost light outside when I start running in the mornings so, if memory serves me correctly, it’s almost time to spring forward into darkness.

Yeah, sucks.  Most discussions are about DST year-round, but I'd love to stick with standard time year-round.  Much prefer my sunlight to be early.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Had this thought last week when it wasn’t hella cold and was light that the darkness is coming back. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Yeah, sucks.  Most discussions are about DST year-round, but I'd love to stick with standard time year-round.  Much prefer my sunlight to be early.

I'm a DST all the way guy, but you may be in luck.  My understanding is that the way the federal law is written, states may opt out of DST and hence be standard all the time, but they are not allowed to be DST all the time.  So unless something is done at the federal level, the only solution available to states to avoid the jumping around is to go all Standard Time.

Just now, Dr_Zaius said:

I'm a DST all the way guy, but you may be in luck.  My understanding is that the way the federal law is written, states may opt out of DST and hence be standard all the time, but they are not allowed to be DST all the time.  So unless something is done at the federal level, the only solution available to states to avoid the jumping around is to go all Standard Time.

federally there has been a push to extend daylight time longer and longer. Actually "standard" time is no longer "standard" we are on EDT/CDT/etc about 8 month a year at this point and on EST/CST/etc about 4 months. 

I used to love daylight time way more than standard time. But then I got older and go to bed sooner. "Back in the day" it staying light until almost 10pm in the middle of summer was far more preferable. Now, not so much!

• Like 1

The actual story/history of DST is kind of interesting, IMO. Big push long ago was about "energy savings" allegedly. But in recent times, the push that has slowly extended daylight time to be about 8 of 12 months is all about economics. Longer daylight leads to more spending, more spending = good for the economy. It's a pretty interesting rabbit hole to delve down and read into if you are into that kind of thing. 

• Like 2

Yes, your opinion on the merits of each is going to depend on your schedule as well as your geographic location.  Even during EDT we typically get dark here around 8:30 during the bulk of the summer, so I have no interest in pushing that back to 7:30.  On the other hand, we were in Montana years ago during June and it was light until almost 11:00, which is a little excessive IMO.

Time zones in general are an interesting subject.  Until I visited Steamtown USA, I didn't realize that places were running on local time into the 20th century.  Also, if you ever look at those global maps, in some areas of the world local time is extremely offset from solar time (up to 4 hours in some places in Russia if I remember correctly).

Yeah, it's all kind of interesting, imo. The difference in sunrise/sunset times here in Indiana on the backend of Eastern time is pretty dramatically different from what it does on the East Coast. Or even just compare here to Chicago. According to my watch, sunrise was at 7:16 this morning, which is 6:16ish for @Juxtatarot, @tri-man 47, etc. Sunset is 6:37 pm, which is still only 5:37ish for them (both off a little by being slight west and slightly north). Right now, I'm happy with it being as it is. I don't necessarily want it to get light at 6 am or dark at 6 pm. That said, when it changes soon at it is still kind of dark at 7 am again, I'm not going to like that much. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gruecd said:

So this is what our thread has become.  Discussing the relative merits of daylight savings time. Oy vey.

Preferable to discussing bear attacks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, gruecd said:

So this is what our thread has become.  Discussing the relative merits of daylight savings time. Oy vey.

Do the Packers play better when it's DST?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

This is part of what impresses me about your running - due to your work schedule, you're knocking out all those miles and all those fast miles very early in the morning ...so you're dealing with the dark and cold mornings.  I have the luxury of waiting for daylight and warming temps, but you don't have that benefit.  Props to you, fast-running-man.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, gruecd said:

there have been far worse discussions in here, I am positive! 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Just for that, I'm going back and liking every post related to the discussion of time.

• Laughing 3

"Field size for the in-person Boston Marathon has not yet been finalized but will be smaller than previous years in order to enhance participant and public safety.

The B.A.A. will strive to achieve a field size composition as close to previous years as possible, with approximately 80% of the field being comprised of qualified entrants and 20% being comprised of invitational entries, including charity program runners.

Details about the in-person race, including registration dates, COVID-19 safety measures, and participant requirements will be announced in the coming weeks."

• Thinking 1
2 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

"Field size for the in-person Boston Marathon has not yet been finalized but will be smaller than previous years in order to enhance participant and public safety.

The B.A.A. will strive to achieve a field size composition as close to previous years as possible, with approximately 80% of the field being comprised of qualified entrants and 20% being comprised of invitational entries, including charity program runners.

Details about the in-person race, including registration dates, COVID-19 safety measures, and participant requirements will be announced in the coming weeks."

Nervous.  I have a 12+ minute buffer but with multiple years and a smaller field.  Is it enough?

8 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Nervous.  I have a 12+ minute buffer but with multiple years and a smaller field.  Is it enough?

I hope so.  My buffer is 11:31.

• Thinking 1
Just now, gruecd said:

I hope so.  My buffer is 11:31.

Starting next year, it gets significantly easier for me to qualify.  I'll turn 45 next January, so my QT gets the big 10-minute jump from 3:10 to 3:20.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Thinking about this, I'm guessing Boston will use 2021 race as a reset for all qualifying, etc.  Either you get the in person race or the virtual experience. 

Makes me think 2022 goes with a traditional qualifying period and there is no "carryover" in terms of qualifying regarding COVID impacts.

Just my opinion.....

10 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Starting next year, it gets significantly easier for me to qualify.  I'll turn 45 next January, so my QT gets the big 10-minute jump from 3:10 to 3:20.

Once I got the 10 minute buffer from turning 45 is when I started to qualify for Boston.  I think that was my sweet spot to "go for it".

56 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Keep in mind that a lot of marathons will be piled on top of each other this fall.  Chicago, for example, is the day before Boston.  Those who like to do a few of those marathons will have to make a choice.  That dynamic, plus the virtual option, should have some effect on registrations.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Keep in mind that a lot of marathons will be piled on top of each other this fall.  Chicago, for example, is the day before Boston.  Those who like to do a few of those marathons will have to make a choice.  That dynamic, plus the virtual option, should have some effect on registrations.

Also keep in mind that there have obviously been tons of QTs over the past couple years, they don't all belong to unique runners.  In other words, it's a lot of the same runners who qualified several times.

• Like 2

Nice morning here and back felt mostly ok during my 3m. A little stiff now. The bike commute has helped, I think. 

I'll take tomorrow off and try a little farther on Friday, depending on its feels. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, bushdocda said:

Well the Peloton just convinced me to ride now, run later.  Main argument was that it will be 50* & sunny later today and presently it is not. 

Yeah, it's gonna be 45 here.  Barring any fires at work this morning, I'm planning on playing hooky and getting out for a nice 14-mile MLR after lunch.

• Like 2

Very encouraging "tempo" for me this morning.  First mile easy-in at 6:21 followed up by four miles at 5:54, 5:50, 5:42, 5:49. 

I wore my fast shoes.  I hadn't worn them since spring since they weren't great for my foot injury.  That injury is better now.

Overall time was 29:40.  That ties my 5 mile race PR coincidentally even with the slower first mile.  Fastest I've ever run a four mile stretch ever.  Perceived effort was less than race effort.  

I must be in better shape than I thought.  I'm not running tons of miles but it must be some combination of consistency, strength exercises, and/or diet/weight loss.

• Like 13
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Very encouraging "tempo" for me this morning.  First mile easy-in at 6:21 followed up by four miles at 5:54, 5:50, 5:42, 5:49. 

I wore my fast shoes.  I hadn't worn them since spring since they weren't great for my foot injury.  That injury is better now.

Overall time was 29:40.  That ties my 5 mile race PR coincidentally even with the slower first mile.  Fastest I've ever run a four mile stretch ever.  Perceived effort was less than race effort.  

I must be in better shape than I thought.  I'm not running tons of miles but it must be some combination of consistency, strength exercises, and/or diet/weight loss.

Great work.  Two thoughts/observations:

1.  I will NEVER understand how you can just roll out of bed and do a workout like that.  My body doesn't work that way.

2.  How exactly did you have weight to lose?  

• Laughing 1
Just now, gruecd said:

Great work.  Two thoughts/observations:

1.  I will NEVER understand how you can just roll out of bed and do a workout like that.  My body doesn't work that way.

2.  How exactly did you have weight to lose?  

Thanks!

1. Alarm goes off at 5:00, I usually start running at 6:00.  I need that hour.

2. I'm nowhere near ripped.  There's fat on this body and I was carrying a bit extra around the midsection.   

23 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I saw this on Strava this morning and it was :jawdrop:.

Nice work, man.  HR was still very much in Juxt territory.  Can't wait for your next race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Well la-di-da I'm just going to roll out of bed at 5 because I need an hour to get all the fat in my midsection to wake up and get ready to travel fast and then throw on my fast shoes that I haven't even had to wear lately even though I'm still really fast and go out with a really slow first mile at 6:21 because that's just a warmup and finally crank up the pace faster than most of you can sprint and just do that for a few miles and PR and without even really doing a race effort or anything so I can still just go about my day like it's no big deal before you guys even wake up and think of knocking out any kind of run because I might be in good shape.

-- @ChiefD

Edited by gianmarco
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 6
3 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Well la-di-da I'm just going to roll out of bed at 5 because I need an hour to get all the fat in my midsection to wake up and get ready to travel fast and then throw on my fast shoes that I haven't even had to wear lately even though I'm still really fast and go out with a really slow first mile at 6:21 because that's just a warmup and finally crank up the pace faster than most of you can sprint and just do that for a few miles and PR and without even really doing a race effort or anything so I can still just go about my day like it's no big deal before you guys even wake up and think of knocking out any kind of run because I might be in good shape.

-- @ChiefD

Couldn't have said it better myself.

:lol:

@Juxtatarot:

:jawdrop:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, went running last night at my son's soccer practice. Last week on Tuesday was able to squeeze in 7 miles before it got dark and practice ended. 

Since it's a week later, the light lasts about 10 minutes later, so was able to get in 8.06 miles in - perfect. Loaded it up on strava, saw my pace was 10:15 - pretty close to last week - felt pretty good about myself.

Scroll down, and the very first entry is @gruecdand his 8 mile run yesterday - at a 7:45 pace.  :lol:

Me: :kicksrock:

• Like 4
  • Laughing 2