Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

18 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Well la-di-da I'm just going to roll out of bed at 5 because I need an hour to get all the fat in my midsection to wake up and get ready to travel fast and then throw on my fast shoes that I haven't even had to wear lately even though I'm still really fast and go out with a really slow first mile at 6:21 because that's just a warmup and finally crank up the pace faster than most of you can sprint and just do that for a few miles and PR and without even really doing a race effort or anything so I can still just go about my day like it's no big deal before you guys even wake up and think of knocking out any kind of run because I might be in good shape.

-- @ChiefD

This.

@Juxtatarot I got stoked at “I wore my fast shoes”.

Have a great, fast shoe kind of day, all. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 52.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

34 minutes ago, Zasada said:

I saw this on Strava this morning and it was :jawdrop:.

Nice work, man.  HR was still very much in Juxt territory.  Can't wait for your next race.

I don't know... I was worried about him. His HR got over 119! ;)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

So, went running last night at my son's soccer practice. Last week on Tuesday was able to squeeze in 7 miles before it got dark and practice ended. 

Since it's a week later, the light lasts about 10 minutes later, so was able to get in 8.06 miles in - perfect. Loaded it up on strava, saw my pace was 10:15 - pretty close to last week - felt pretty good about myself.

Scroll down, and the very first entry is @gruecdand his 8 mile run yesterday - at a 7:45 pace.  :lol:

Me: :kicksrock:

That's OK, I did 5 miles on the treadmill last night at 7:54 pace.  Loaded it on Strava and felt pretty good about myself given the easy effort and then saw that @Juxtatarotran the same distance....at 5:55 pace.

Bottom line - it's all relative.

(Also, I want Juxt tested for blood doping.)

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3
7 minutes ago, gruecd said:

That's OK, I did 5 miles on the treadmill last night at 7:54 pace.  Loaded it on Strava and felt pretty good about myself given the easy effort and then saw that @Juxtatarotran the same distance....at 5:55 pace.

Bottom line - it's all relative.

(Also, I want Juxt tested for blood doping.)

#beatgrue!

• Like 1

Juxt's crazy fast run got me thinking - he ran the last few miles at roughly the pace that for me is the fastest pace I can run that doesn't feel like I'm flailing around or potentially straining muscles.  That is, if I was comfortably jogging and someone told me, "okay, run fast for 30 seconds" that's about the speed I would move at, which for me is about 5K -0:40 pace.  I'm curious if that's fairly consistent across folks here or if others' "controlled, fast" pace is either significantly faster or slower vs. their 5K pace than that.

25 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Juxt's crazy fast run got me thinking - he ran the last few miles at roughly the pace that for me is the fastest pace I can run that doesn't feel like I'm flailing around or potentially straining muscles.  That is, if I was comfortably jogging and someone told me, "okay, run fast for 30 seconds" that's about the speed I would move at, which for me is about 5K -0:40 pace.  I'm curious if that's fairly consistent across folks here or if others' "controlled, fast" pace is either significantly faster or slower vs. their 5K pace than that.

Well, I just looked back, and that's roughly the pace that I've done 200m repeats.  So while I wouldn't say I'm "flailing", it's on the verge of going beyond controlled.  So, that's definitely more than a minute faster than my 5K pace.  Closer to 1:30-2:00 faster.

Edited by gianmarco
16 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Well, I just looked back, and that's roughly the pace that I've done 200m repeats.  So while I wouldn't say I'm "flailing", it's on the verge of going beyond controlled.  So, that's definitely more than a minute faster than my 5K pace.  Closer to 1:30-2:00 faster.

Interesting.  I definitely can't go much beyond -1:00 without feeling a bit out of control.  A dead sprint for me would probably top out at ~-2:30, which I could maintain for maybe 5-10 seconds max.  

OK, I know it might be asking too much, but I need some serious, non-smartass advice from you guys.  I want to lean out a little bit before my race next month.  Not too much, maybe drop like 5-7 lbs over the next 5.5 weeks.  What's the best way to do this without sacrificing the quality of my biggest and most important 3-week training block?

8 minutes ago, gruecd said:

OK, I know it might be asking too much, but I need some serious, non-smartass advice from you guys.  I want to lean out a little bit before my race next month.  Not too much, maybe drop like 5-7 lbs over the next 5.5 weeks.  What's the best way to do this without sacrificing the quality of my biggest and most important 3-week training block?

Don't drink beer.

10 minutes ago, gruecd said:

What is your diet like now?

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

What is your diet like now?

Not structured at all.  Eat what I feel like eating.  Sometimes healthy, sometimes not so healthy.

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

Maybe cut the non-healthy stuff? 

For sure, but I feel like I need to do more.  Maybe more protein?  If I don't eat enough, then I'm not going to lose weight either (and my running performance will suffer).  It's so hard trying to find the right balance.

44 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Going rabid no-sugar took a number of lbs off me fast when I did it.  I even took fruit off the menu (so not just abandoning added sugar).

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

I'm enjoying the eat a steak everyday for lunch plan, I'm down to my racing weight.  Limiting myself to 6 alcohol drinks a week so far this year might have helped as well. I think I have gained a lb or 2 of muscle from pushups and pullups so I'm probably the leanest I have been in 20 years.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, lumpy19 said:

The @Juxtatarotrun is impressive and I don’t want to steal his thunder BUT on my run this morning I ran around 9 culdesacs in only 6.5 miles.  Pretty sure my accomplishment is more impressive.

Get back to us when you've nailed some round-abouts.    :coffee:  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Interesting.  I definitely can't go much beyond -1:00 without feeling a bit out of control.  A dead sprint for me would probably top out at ~-2:30, which I could maintain for maybe 5-10 seconds max.  

I use roughly that Juxt pace for 400m repeats ...800m tend to be at 6:00/mi or above, depending on conditioning.  

3 hours ago, Zasada said:

Going rabid no-sugar took a number of lbs off me fast when I did it.  I even took fruit off the menu (so not just abandoning added sugar).

I second the no sugar idea.  Remove all processed or added sugar.

Therefore, the only sugars you have are in fruits and those are just natural.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

And then this weekend I'll do a hm on a vertical, ice covered cliff.

dum dum.

Don't forget to bring a dum dum or two.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

I use roughly that Juxt pace for 400m repeats ...800m tend to be at 6:00/mi or above, depending on conditioning.  

That's impressive.  You must be more efficient at the faster paces than me, as over the past year I have finally gotten to the point where I can do 400m repeats in 90s pretty reliably.  I actually did 6x400 on Monday and went hard at the last one for 85s and I was spent at that point.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

That's impressive.  You must be more efficient at the faster paces than me, as over the past year I have finally gotten to the point where I can do 400m repeats in 90s pretty reliably.  I actually did 6x400 on Monday and went hard at the last one for 85s and I was spent at that point.

Strange that you are so much faster than me overall, but when I've done repeats, I've done them more at the paces you do them at.

But it also goes along with my shorter race times being significantly better than longer race times.

9 hours ago, gruecd said:

Eat less. Might sound smartass but that is the only answer. Lose about 200 calories a day +/-. Probably just shrink portion sizes a little or cut out a snack or something. 

Not structured at all.  Eat what I feel like eating.  Sometimes healthy, sometimes not so healthy.

Ok, this is seriously easy then... just easy more deliberately for a month and it will be a piece of cake. Cut out junk/ empty calories and/ or pay attention to portion sizes. 

6 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Get back to us when you've nailed some round-abouts.    :coffee:  

I have roundabouts in my runs very often these days. They have built several in my area lately. I used to do a full circle often just for @ChiefD but haven't lately. Maybe I will start doing that again. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Strange that you are so much faster than me overall, but when I've done repeats, I've done them more at the paces you do them at.

But it also goes along with my shorter race times being significantly better than longer race times.

I've never tried walking rests (I do 400m jogs), but yeah I couldn't successfully do 10x400 at 6:00 pace when I broke 20:00 for 5K the first time.  I've never had much top line speed.  Off and on I've thought about doing weights or sprints to try to help that but I worry about the injury concerns.

I'll also [third?, fourth?] that it's probably indicative of talent on your side.  The longer distances will come with patience.  There's just no way to rush the aerobic gains that take years to build up.

Replace the unhealthy stuff with healthy stuff, but also don't prioritize weight loss at the expense of training. Cause peak training is the worst time to try to lose weight. Like you said, don't eat enough and your training will suffer. And even if you don't lose any pounds a tighter diet will still be a boon come race day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I have roundabouts in my runs very often these days. They have built several in my area lately. I used to do a full circle often just for @ChiefD but haven't lately. Maybe I will start doing that again. 

There are roundabouts on my routes while doing the soccer practice runs. I have seizures every time I see one.

Thanks @Carmel.

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1
On 2/28/2021 at 7:30 PM, MAC_32 said:

OFFICIAL TIME - 1:59:11, 5th place, age group win

Despite post race libations I was sore last night. Knew i'd be more sore today. And boy is that true. I am happy that my greatest source of discomfort right now is my ###. That tells me I did all this right. My back isn't happy, my calves get mad at me going upstairs, my quads going down, and I can't move without making audible noises but the butt muscles scream loudest. But I wouldn't change a thing. That was one hell of an adventure I'll never forget.

Amazing job MAC and this BMF effort tells the rest of us that we have no excuses and better HTFU going forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI... I have the first one of these on Saturday. I am signed up for the whole series of 15k trail races. Weather looks to be pretty nice for the day. No real time goal other than having signed up for "sub 90 minutes". It's mostly just a bit of a carrot to help keep me motivated and all that. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

FYI... I have the first one of these on Saturday. I am signed up for the whole series of 15k trail races. Weather looks to be pretty nice for the day. No real time goal other than having signed up for "sub 90 minutes". It's mostly just a bit of a carrot to help keep me motivated and all that. 

Looks fun!

2 hours ago, The Iguana said:

1:25:48

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

A little over 5 today. :oldunsure:

Legs felt taper frosty. Back tightened up a tiny bit right towards the end...I slowed the pace and it felt fine the rest of the way.  

Will rest tomorrow and try a 10ish run on Sunday...pace and distance by feel.

If that goes well I'll head back to a more normal schedule next week, but with an eye toward mileage over pace if that's what makes the back happy.

• Like 3

Ran my first ever half marathon in April 2013. I went back and looked at my race report from then, and this little nugget was in there:

Supposed to be about 32 degrees with no wind at race time, so I'm a little bummed about that. Was hoping for a nice, warm spring day

:lol:

• Like 3
  • Laughing 4

Guys, I'm kind of in a funk.  

I ran my first 30K/30mi in a while last weekend.  As I was approaching the end, I found myself in my usual "last 10K of the marathon" spot:  My legs (butt especially) were cooked, and had it been a real race, I would likely have had to walk some of it.  Maybe a proper taper and race energy would have pushed me through, but my physical state at that point was more familiar than it wasn't.

It's clear that I'm a faster 5K/10K/HM runner than I was two years ago (my last marathon).  My cardio is fantastic (not compared to @Juxtatarot, just compared to former-me).  

I'm pretty sure I could push a 5K PR right now, maybe even sub-20.  10K, too.  A sub-99 HM is likely doable as well.

But I feel like I could, at best, shave maybe a couple minutes off my marathon PR (3:56).  I look at the pace required to run 3:30 and I'm like "there's NFW I can hold that pace for 42K".

Is it time for a coach?  Last time I got a prescribed training plan (customized Hanson), I followed it to the letter.  Didn't miss a single run nor cut a run short.  And it got me a 2-minute PR.  2 minutes.  

Should I incorporate more leg strength stuff?  I've been trying to keep my 2x weekly weights sessions (and my wife noticed that my arms are a little less-noodle-like than before, yay!), with some glute-specific work each session.

More tempo runs?  I've been consistently running fast (for me) 10Ks for the last few weeks, just Wednesday almost running sub-45 without race effort required.

I just don't know.  Maybe the marathon distance isn't for me. In the 21 months since my last marathon I've run 6,700km (4,100mi).  Yet when I approach 30K on a single run, I'm a mess.  Thoughts?  Tips?   

I'll hang up and listen.

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Guys, I'm kind of in a funk.  

I ran my first 30K/30mi in a while last weekend.  As I was approaching the end, I found myself in my usual "last 10K of the marathon" spot:  My legs (butt especially) were cooked, and had it been a real race, I would likely have had to walk some of it.  Maybe a proper taper and race energy would have pushed me through, but my physical state at that point was more familiar than it wasn't.

It's clear that I'm a faster 5K/10K/HM runner than I was two years ago (my last marathon).  My cardio is fantastic (not compared to @Juxtatarot, just compared to former-me).  

I'm pretty sure I could push a 5K PR right now, maybe even sub-20.  10K, too.  A sub-99 HM is likely doable as well.

But I feel like I could, at best, shave maybe a couple minutes off my marathon PR (3:56).  I look at the pace required to run 3:30 and I'm like "there's NFW I can hold that pace for 42K".

Is it time for a coach?  Last time I got a prescribed training plan (customized Hanson), I followed it to the letter.  Didn't miss a single run nor cut a run short.  And it got me a 2-minute PR.  2 minutes.  

Should I incorporate more leg strength stuff?  I've been trying to keep my 2x weekly weights sessions (and my wife noticed that my arms are a little less-noodle-like than before, yay!), with some glute-specific work each session.

More tempo runs?  I've been consistently running fast (for me) 10Ks for the last few weeks, just Wednesday almost running sub-45 without race effort required.

I just don't know.  Maybe the marathon distance isn't for me.  Injury breaks aside, since my last marathon, I've been consistently running ~50mi weeks.  In the 21 months since my last marathon I've run 6,700km (4,100mi).  Yet when I approach 30K on a single run, I'm a mess.  Thoughts?  Tips?   

I'll hang up and listen.

Well, the first thing I will say is you do those 30K runs on the back end of a lot of heavy mileage weeks without a taper.

So to me, a proper marathon training strategy and plan with a proper taper should get you where you want to be. You have more than enough talent for it.

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Zasada Do you get much satisfaction from doing well in shorter distances? You seem like a lot of runners who really prioritizes the longer distance races.

Getting better at the shorter races will certainly help you in the longer races but I hesitate recommending a focus on that if it doesn’t get your juices flowing.

I’m a little different than most. A 5K PR means  about as much to me as a marathon PR. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

@Zasada Do you get much satisfaction from doing well in shorter distances? You seem like a lot of runners who really prioritizes the longer distance races.

Getting better at the shorter races will certainly help you in the longer races but I hesitate recommending a focus on that if it doesn’t get your juices flowing.

I’m a little different than most. A 5K PR means  about as much to me as a marathon PR. 

My goal is really to run ultras in the future, and that's why struggling with street marathons really bums me out.  I feel like it's a bad sign for me on the longer trail distances.  

Street running has generally been just a training element of my trail running (because I can't get to the trails on weekdays).  So anytime I improve in street running I'm just using that as a proxy for improving on the trails.

19 minutes ago, Zasada said:

My goal is really to run ultras in the future, and that's why struggling with street marathons really bums me out.  I feel like it's a bad sign for me on the longer trail distances.  

Street running has generally been just a training element of my trail running (because I can't get to the trails on weekdays).  So anytime I improve in street running I'm just using that as a proxy for improving on the trails.

Then it seems that fixing your butt injury should be a primary focus. Twice weekly strengthening may not be enough. Improving flexibility to your hamstrings, hips and other potentially tight areas is critical. I’m learning that more and more especially as I age.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm no expert but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night*. I really think about all you need is to figure out nutrition. IIRC, you are like 6 foot 90 and weigh a buck o five soaking wet. You have plenty of speed and talent to do well at any distance but I'm pretty sure your body starts to eat itself as you get deep into the marathon distance. Figuring out how to properly fuel that long, lanky frame for long distances is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. 

* not really

• Like 2