What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

This would be a bad idea....right?

I need to figure out if I'm doing speed work tomorrow or going into a two day taper....

(Had planned on biking out and running one loop this Saturday anyways...)
Given the "speed" work I did this am...yeah- terrible idea. My legs are fried from the work last week and the long run over the weekend.

How did Barkley start and I not know it?  I'm so out of the loop.

Pinned #BM100 on my Twitter now.  

Would love to see Dauwalter do well in her first try.

Not only have I avoided this thread, but I haven't been reading or listening or watching anything about running, for the most part.  I did hop on YouTube to watch the Oregon men dominate the NCAA Indoors last week, that was pretty sweet to bring home Oregon's 32nd T&F/CC national championship!

But here's how out of touch I've been - over 14 hours in and I just found out The Barkley Marathons are underway.  I had no idea.  Sixteen runners finished loop 1 in time and are on loop 2.  As always, Keith Dunn's Twitter is the best way to follow along.

Not only have I avoided this thread, but I haven't been reading or listening or watching anything about running, for the most part.  I did hop on YouTube to watch the Oregon men dominate the NCAA Indoors last week, that was pretty sweet to bring home Oregon's 32nd T&F/CC national championship!

But here's how out of touch I've been - over 14 hours in and I just found out The Barkley Marathons are underway.  I had no idea.  Sixteen runners finished loop 1 in time and are on loop 2.  As always, Keith Dunn's Twitter is the best way to follow along.
An hour before the race begins: "It's been raining heavily for the past several hours."

Race begins ...at 3:04 a.m.

Several hours in - more rain.  And then, possibilities of hail.

To quote the esteemed @ChiefD:  "No."

I planned on having a productive weekend but then an old, overweight, bearded dude blew a conch during a thunderstorm in the middle of the night so now imma just refresh Twitter until Monday.

How did Barkley start and I not know it?  I'm so out of the loop.

Pinned #BM100 on my Twitter now.  

Would love to see Dauwalter do well in her first try.
And I wake up this morning to see only two runners completed two loops.  No fun runners this year (other than these two, if they can).  The conditions are brutal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been waiting to get a pair of the Saucony Endorphin Speeds.  First, it's hard to find them in-stock.  Second, they never go on-sale.

REI has a few sizes (8/12.5/13) in-stock, and if you're a member, today you can use the "MEMBER21" coupon code to take 20% off any regularly-priced item.  

As such, I have a pair slated to arrive on Wed!  Can't wait to try them.  Will use them a few times, then save for races.

And I wake up this morning to see only two runners completed two loops.  No fun runners this year.  The conditions are brutal.
Maggie, Courtney, and Liz missed that cutoff by 12 minutes, Jamil by 24. Although in reality you need at least 10 minutes to get in and out of camp. Brutal conditions this year. I’d be surprised if Jared and Luke finish loop 3 in time. 

@Zasadaalready commented on strava but I have kind of crossed some mental hurdle recently or something. I think I mentioned above that I recently was clicking through some of the analysis tools on strava and it tells me that I'm back to about the same place I was this time last year - or at least close to it. Last couple of runs have had me feel more energized and focused. I'm thinking more about my form, breathing feels good, and I'm just running rather than thinking about where I'm "not". Not even looking at my watch at all until it buzzes for a mile marker. And then I look down at the time and each mile is just a little faster than the last. Thursday night I was doing it on purpose - was running an area with some small hills but I used the hills to kind of a fartlek run - made myself push up to the top of a rolling hill and then could relax coming down. Last mile was all flat and I made myself run it harder than most of my miles lately. Today I was just running, seriously not even thinking about it. And every time my arm buzzed, I looked down and the mile was just a little faster than the last.

Both days the last 2 miles were right around what I hope my marathon pace can be. I have a long ways to go to be able to hold that pace for 26.2 miles but I really am starting to have some fun out there again and have some hope. A lot of it was all just plodding work lately. Fun to see some kind of tangible 'proof' on strava that the work is working. Also a lot to be said to just having that mental/psychological boost to rejuvenate the efforts. 

That's good news @The Iguana. Glad to see you are back in the routine and the swing of running.

I'm going in the opposite direction.  I've been hurting - bad. As I've mentioned before, I have a degenerative disc in my neck.  Normally it manifests itself in pain in my right shoulder blade and extending to my whole right side.

Ever since I got done with the house it won't quiet down. It's actually gotten worse - I'm literally hurting every day all day, and I'm starting to get some pain shooting up my neck and seemingly right in my right ear. And now my left side is more sore than normal. Usually running a lot keeps it loose, but every time I run its not loosening up at all. The next day just hurts - it's not a searing pain or anything like that. Just a constant dull pain and soreness everywhere.

So I ran on Tuesday this week but I'm shutting down completely until Monday. I figure this is a good weekend to just do nothing - plenty of basketball to watch and just lay around.

I've been doing a ton of stretching to try and release the tension, and so far that seems to help. But I need to get this to quiet down before I do any more meaningful miles. 

Zasada said:
Been waiting to get a pair of the Saucony Endorphin Speeds.  First, it's hard to find them in-stock.  Second, they never go on-sale.

REI has a few sizes (8/12.5/13) in-stock, and if you're a member, today you can use the "MEMBER21" coupon code to take 20% off any regularly-priced item.  

As such, I have a pair slated to arrive on Wed!  Can't wait to try them.  Will use them a few times, then save for races.
Yes, this is the way. 

SFBayDuck said:
Maggie, Courtney, and Liz missed that cutoff by 12 minutes, Jamil by 24. Although in reality you need at least 10 minutes to get in and out of camp. Brutal conditions this year. I’d be surprised if Jared and Luke finish loop 3 in time. 
:no:   The Barkley course won again.  Jared and Luke are still out there but the cutoff is past.  I love Dunn's latest Tweet:

Camp is thinning out as people pack up to go home. The sun is trying to come out but the clouds are stubborn. The temperature is supposed to drop quite a bit overnight. It’s unfortunate there won’t be any runners on the course to experience it. #BM100

4/27 in bay ridge brooklyn, 3 loops (1 hour away via subway or water taxi/ferry), probably a little bit of hills but not much, risk of wind by being on the the river.
Just signed up.

Turns out they also have the same race this Saturday. My legs aren't right for it...but tempted.
This would be a bad idea....right?

I need to figure out if I'm doing speed work tomorrow or going into a two day taper....

(Had planned on biking out and running one loop this Saturday anyways...)
Who the hell said that was a good idea? Friends don't let friends do bricks when they're 15+ years removed from triathlons. COME ON PEOPLE.

So...while the course is flat and looks nice on a map- right on the river to the Verrazano bridge- it's also right on the BQE highway and tons of traffic. Today was tailwind on the out segment to the bridge and direct headwind on the way back (and all the way home)...which would be fair over 3 loops.

my legs were fried after about 6m of my just under 15m run. Had planned to do another negative split, but I was just holding on to keep going. Ran through some rough, industrial sections that weren't as picturesque as my usual brooklyn waterfront run. Complete slog.

Eta...lol...just looked at my splits, which include one bizarre uptick- right in the worst of the hoods I mentioned. Subconscious nyc-mind knew to GTFO ASAP.

Zounds, friends....some absolutely epic runs today!
Not from me. With exactly three weeks to go until my race, I picked a fabulous ####### time to get injured. It’s still the inside of my right knee, likely caused by a tight/strained inner quad (VMO). Had it dry needled this morning. I’d still really like to do my 20-miler (the only one of this cycle), but if I can’t get it done by Tuesday or Wednesday, I’m pulling the plug on it.

During my run today, Strava gave me credit for my second fastest times in the following categories: 15K, 20K, 10 mile, half marathon.  I think that is correct.  My first fastest in these categories would have been during my PR half marathon in October 2018 that I ran at 6:08 pace.  Today’s run averaged 6:13 pace.  

However, I think I’m in better shape now than then.  

This wasn’t a race and I wasn’t planning to run a super fast pace.  I just planned to run somewhat fast.  First mile was my slowest at 6:35 which served as my warmup from the front door.  But by miles 3 through 5 I was running under 6:20 pace.  I was running briskly but not trying to go all out.  The rest of the run was faster including two miles at 6:02 pace.   I was certainly tiring and the last handful of miles were reasonably hard.  Not maximum effort though.  Heart rate monitor went wonky so I don’t know what my heart rate was most of the second half. 

I really feel ready for my 10K in two weeks.  My official PR is from April 2017 at 6:03 pace and I’m quite confident I can beat that.  I’m not sure how much faster though.  I’ve told myself I’ll just pace by feel.  

I’ve really been running well recently.  I think all the strengthening exercises, the stretching, losing weight and eating healthier, and just the consistency of running everyday are paying off.  

During my run today, Strava gave me credit for my second fastest times in the following categories: 15K, 20K, 10 mile, half marathon.  I think that is correct.  My first fastest in these categories would have been during my PR half marathon in October 2018 that I ran at 6:08 pace.  Today’s run averaged 6:13 pace.  

This wasn’t a race and I wasn’t planning to run a super fast pace.  I just planned to run somewhat fast.  First mile was my slowest at 6:35 which served as my warmup from the front door.  But by miles 3 through 5 I was running under 6:20 pace.  I was running briskly but not trying to go all out.  The rest of the run was faster including two miles at 6:02 pace.   I was certainly tiring and the last handful of miles were reasonably hard.  Not maximum effort though.  Heart rate monitor went wonky so I don’t know what my heart rate was most of the second half. 

I really feel ready for my 10K in two weeks.  My official PR is from April 2017 at 6:03 pace and I’m quite confident I can beat that.  I’m not sure how much faster though.  I’ve told myself I’ll just pace by feel.  

I’ve really been running well recently.  I think all the strengthening exercises, the stretching, losing weight and eating healthier, and just the consistency of running everyday are paying off.  
You are absolutely killing it and it's really fun to watch. You've earned every bit of it too.

gruecd said:
Not from me. With exactly three weeks to go until my race, I picked a fabulous ####### time to get injured. It’s still the inside of my right knee, likely caused by a tight/strained inner quad (VMO). Had it dry needled this morning. I’d still really like to do my 20-miler (the only one of this cycle), but if I can’t get it done by Tuesday or Wednesday, I’m pulling the plug on it.
:oldunsure:

Hope it gets better for you. Hope it's like my back where after a couple week mostly shut down, the legs were ready to rip. Do you have a plan for the 20? Try it but shut it down if there's pain, jshare the crap out of it and just push through even after #### starts falling off of you...or somewhere in between?

After the weeks and workouts you've been putting in, I'd think you could just roll into a taper at this point 3 weeks out and take care of your leg. 

gruecd said:
Earlier in the week you mentioned the injury being better after warmup. If I have the days right you did a cruise interval workout for your next run. Was it persistent pain during that? I’d guess not because I’d think you wouldn’t have attempted that in pain.  Was it really bad afterwards? 

You're an animal.  What you're doing now is what I hope to do this fall (just a little slower).  Keep it up.

Earlier in the week you mentioned the injury being better after warmup. If I have the days right you did a cruise interval workout for your next run. Was it persistent pain during that? I’d guess not because I’d think you wouldn’t have attempted that in pain.  Was it really bad afterwards? 

Nah, it loosened up as I went along.  I was definitely aware of it the whole time, but it didn't get any worse.  Definitely more sore the next day though.

:oldunsure:

Hope it gets better for you. Hope it's like my back where after a couple week mostly shut down, the legs were ready to rip. Do you have a plan for the 20? Try it but shut it down if there's pain, jshare the crap out of it and just push through even after #### starts falling off of you...or somewhere in between?

After the weeks and workouts you've been putting in, I'd think you could just roll into a taper at this point 3 weeks out and take care of your leg. 
I'm not gonna be stupid about it.  I'm gonna run easy (if at all) the next couple of days and take a half day off work on Wednesday to hopefully do the 20.  If it hurts, I'll pull the plug and just coast until the race.  Any later than Wednesday, and I don't feel like there would be enough time for total recovery.

@running nerds. I'm finally getting into running outside after exclusively being a treadmill guy and I'd like to get some kind of technology to make it suck less. I think the answer is a smart watch and bluetooth ear buds. I'd like to run without carrying my phone. Being able to make or receive a call while I'm out would be nice. Being able to listen to music and do gps and heart rate and stuff would mean I could ditch the fitbit but I don't really track that stuff that seriously yet and I have never used Spotify (i was a Google play music guy until they cancelled it and now I'm starting over).  I'm getting close to replacing my Samsung phone and have a Samsung tablet as well so staying in the ecosystem would be nice but my wife is all apple and I could use a tablet to load things if I need to. 

Any ideas?  What do you guys use?  Do you like it?  As a bonus any thoughts on sunblock that won't drip into my eyes would be appreciated. 

@running nerds. I'm finally getting into running outside after exclusively being a treadmill guy and I'd like to get some kind of technology to make it suck less. I think the answer is a smart watch and bluetooth ear buds. I'd like to run without carrying my phone. Being able to make or receive a call while I'm out would be nice. Being able to listen to music and do gps and heart rate and stuff would mean I could ditch the fitbit but I don't really track that stuff that seriously yet and I have never used Spotify (i was a Google play music guy until they cancelled it and now I'm starting over).  I'm getting close to replacing my Samsung phone and have a Samsung tablet as well so staying in the ecosystem would be nice but my wife is all apple and I could use a tablet to load things if I need to. 

Any ideas?  What do you guys use?  Do you like it?  As a bonus any thoughts on sunblock that won't drip into my eyes would be appreciated. 
I'm a Samsung person too, just recently upgraded my S8 to the S20. I picked up the Samsung Active 2 watch and love it so far. I wear it 24/7 now. There's an LTE version that would allow you to make and receive calls.  I also have a pair of Galaxy Buds that I also picked up when I got the watch and love them. I stopped running with music a long time ago but I've taken them out a few times recently and they are great for it.

However, this is not a great "running watch" if you're looking to track HR and other metrics. As such, I still always run with my Garmin running watch and always will. 

For you, I'd consider the above to start and you can always add a Garmin in the future if you get more serious about it and/or find the Galaxy watch isn't giving you everything you need, even though it should.

These shorts have a back zippered pocket you can put your phone in, and you won't even notice it.  Then you have it for emergencies, and can run with a Garmin watch that will do a better job of fitness tracking than most smartwatches.

I prefer Plantronics or Aftershockz headphones (versus earbuds).  The two former let you hear your surroundings (cars, bikes, dogs, etc) for safety.

I run in the dark 90% of the time, so can't help you on sunblock.  Sorry.

These shorts have a back zippered pocket you can put your phone in, and you won't even notice it.  Then you have it for emergencies, and can run with a Garmin watch that will do a better job of fitness tracking than most smartwatches.

I prefer Plantronics or Aftershockz headphones (versus earbuds).  The two former let you hear your surroundings (cars, bikes, dogs, etc) for safety.

I run in the dark 90% of the time, so can't help you on sunblock.  Sorry.
My wife has the Aftershockz and loves them.  That said, the Galaxy Buds have an option to let in ambient sound.  It's like a microphone that filters in outside noise as if they weren't there and does a good job with them.  I've run at my son's soccer practice with them recently and I can toggle that on and off when I'm running by people.  But, it's nice to block out sounds (like the wind) and have that option.

Btw...my legs are so fried. 

I'm assuming it was the long run last weekend, because all week I lost my giddyup- couldn't turn the legs over. The run yesterday was rough going, as was my shorter than normal Sunday "longer" recovery. 

Trying to figure out how to best approach the next month of training ahead of the April 25 HM.

Do I keep pushing the next few weeks with the usual hills, interval/tempo, long workouts followed by recovery runs and taper the last week and half?

An Apple Watch with wireless headphones should do the trick. The GPS has come a long way, and the HR monitor is better than the Garmins imo.

Aftershokz headphones first, imo. I hate earbuds and love hearing ambient sounds, namely cars, while running. 

Sounds like an apple watch may be your thing for a watch if you want gps, music, and phone access without carrying your phone. I have a gamin with music but do not carry my phone or have phone access while running. There's been a couple times it might have been nice and could see it being useful for an emergency so up to you on what is important. 

Kind of stoked about now... planned to run a HM "for fun" yesterday but time constraints and a bit of slow moving in the morning meant a shorter run or do it today. Do it today easily could mean excuses and no run for me sometimes...errr... often! 

But, my wife, dog, and I went for about a 4 mile hike late morning early afternoon, then had a late lunch and meandered our way home. After a bit of a rest and a healthy bowel movement, out the door I went. Wanted to do a route similar to one I've run in out and backs before but with an extra loop I had never run but made for a near perfect 13.1. 

Off I went with a goal of putting in a solid effort and wanting ro be consistent through the end. Mostly accomplished that and ran about a1:50 HM! Feels like I'm almost "back" but not quite. 

Also felt like I was running in an Escher drawing... I swear even though I started and ended in the same place I was always running uphill! Strava disagrees but mile 7 to 10 where basically all uphill, even if not quite the mountains they felt like. Back half was a little slower than the front but given the course, I'll take it as close enough to consistent effort. 

Also ate and drank like crap all weekend, including a Vito with hot peppers from Jimmy John's for lunch today, which kept getting burped up on the run.

I picked up the Samsung Active 2 watch and love it

Galaxy Buds have an option to let in ambient sound.  

An Apple Watch with wireless headphones should do the trick. 

Aftershokz headphones first, imo.
I should have seen this coming. 

Benefits of aftershokz bone conduction headphones: 

1) can hear ambient sounds - particularly hazards like cars, dogs, bikes, other runners

2) lightweight and comfortable

3) quality should and no wires

4) can wear ear plugs that come with them while mowing and similar activites to block out loud sounds and hear music clearly

5) hands free phone use

6) ear buds suck. 

Only downside is that they aren't cheap. About $100+ depending on the model you get. 

Apple Watch (LTE model) on one wrist for music and phone capabilities (and Apple Pay for when I need to stop and get a bottle of water or something), Garmin on the other for GPS.  Forget what @JShare87says, the GPS on the Apple Watch still sucks.

Bluetooth headphones are Plantronic Backbeat Fit.

Also ate and drank like crap all weekend, including a Vito with hot peppers from Jimmy John's for lunch today, which kept getting burped up on the run.
Nice!  I've been eating copious amount of ring bologna lately, although I wait until after my runs.

6-mile run this morning was encouraging.  Started with a sleeve on my knee, but it was annoying, so I took it off.  Really didn't experience any pain, but my quads (specifically my vastus medialis) were noticeably tight/sore.  I really need to start doing some prehab work--stretching, foam rolling, etc.

Re the Apple watch.

- Doesn't play nice (at all?) with Android phones

- Doesn't export cadence to Strava (not sure it records it at all)

Users who are viewing this thread