Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Had the 2nd 15k trail run today. This one is 3 5k loops around Eagle Creek park on the NW side of Indy. If you zoom in on the map in strava, you will see an odd little bump out on lap 1 of my run today - it's about a quarter mile +/- and 2 or 3 minutes that I led a group of about 10 runners the wrong direction... They were really good about roping off the wrong routes everywhere but this one place... you come down a hill with some roots and a bridge to cross and there was a sign but it was just past the corner. Just past the turn off, there were a series of cones near the road that looked like the trail headed off to the left, where the trail went back into the woods. The group in front had a little bit of room out in front and looking down at my feet, I totally missed the turn off. 

On the 2nd lap, I almost did the same thing because it just looks/feels like it should go down and to the right. But luckily I recognized it then and stayed on course. Overall it kind of kicked me butt - particularly the 3rd lap. Was a fun time, but kind of bummed for the wrong turn and all. Not sure what my official time was but watch time had me at 1:33... would have been pretty right at 1:30 if not for the detour. Trail running really kind of kicks my butt in general, imo, but it is pretty fun. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Replies 53.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Played tennis with floppinha for two hours (gorgeous spring day here) and am completely fried.

About to go get my second jab.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Have a strong, steady race, @gruecd !!!

Do we have tracking for this?

I assume gian has had grue chip implanted for some time now... 

Had my second shot (moderna) late yesterday. 

Can't tell if I've been feeling knackered/off because of pushing the workout yesterday (and playing tennis), the shot, or both.

Going to hold off on my pickle run today as to not exacerbate things- need to be as close to 100% as possible at work tomorrow.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Do we have tracking for this?

I assume gian has had grue chip implanted for some time now... 

I don't, but Moderna does.

• Like 1

He should be going off now. We are camped at about the 4 mile spot right now and will get him coming back at around 8 mile mark. Then off to the next spot. I should be able to post updates in between.

It's 48 and cloudy but it is windy AF. 15-20 mph winds from the west. He'll be running directly into it from like mile 8-12.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Just saw our hero. We are at mile 3, actually. 

He had a message: "Wind sucks. Bad"

I concur, it's awful out there. 

Out of the four directions, wind out of the west is probably the least bad. Mostly a north-south course and he gets that into the wind part out of the way early.  

• Like 2

Tracking app sucks. Got an update about 35 minutes ago that says he's running a 7:04 pace. Doesn't say what mile he was on.

Time was 40:59. It's too early for me to do math.

• Laughing 1
6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Close to mile 9ish. He looked good. 

"Shoot me after this next section"

:lmao:

Were hoards of runners trying to keep up with him as a wind shield?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
7 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

Were hoards of runners trying to keep up with him as a wind shield?

Lol, no, he's blowing by people.

I offered to pace him for 200m but he declined.

• Like 3
  • Laughing 4

Is he done yet?

Eta...wind is the worst. Hope he ends up satisfied with his output and result.

Edited by El Floppo
2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

HM time: 1:34:16

Average pace 7:12

Assuming the wind is still out of the west, the worst parts end by mile 14.  He'll have mostly a crosswind the rest of the way heading south to southeast.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Is he done yet?

Eta...wind is the worst. Hope he ends up satisfied with his output and result.

Especially for us bigger humans 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

He's in.

3:09:54.

At the car, looks great.

Great result from the sound of the conditions out there!

Hope he's content.

Eta...great result regardless!

Edited by El Floppo
8 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

He's in.

3:09:54.

At the car, looks great.

Apparently he ran so fast he crashed Strava's servers.

#BMF

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Looked like rain today so I did my 8 miles on the treadmill.  87:44.  Had to revert to 5.4mph instead of the 6ish mph I can do outside.  I was wondering if I was taking it easy on the treadmill and would get beat up running outside... turns out I must be fighting the treadmill belt when I run because my heart rate goes up more inside at 5.4 mph than outside on hills and going 6 mph. I'm guessing that I keep my feet on the belt just a little too long so the treadmill pulls my foot backwards,  while outside I roll my foot forward. I suspect that means I burn more calories inside than outside which is counter intuitive to me. 

On a plus note I stayed around 130bpm for the first few miles, 135 fiabout halfway and was still around 140 after 7 miles, so I finished strong at 7mph for the last half mile.  I still have enough left in the tank to go longer but even though I only I increased my mileage by about 10 percent I increased my time by about 20 to 25 percent because I ran slower so I decided not to push it. 

Will be upping my distance on most of my midweek runs as discussed earlier but probably won't increase my next long run by much if at all as I continue to train for nothing and take note of the misery you describe in every race report. Thank you for making further attempts to become competitive seem both out of reach and unappealing. 

• Like 9

Great job @gruecd!

I did 10 push ups yesterday. Only noteworthy because my frozen shoulder has prevented me from doing any for the past 14 months and PT has finally progressed enough that I can do one. Hoping to do some golf and volleyball this summer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Did he catch the person in front of him?

What do you think? ;) 

Honestly, I prob passed 250+ runners over the course of the 26.2 miles, and I got passed twice. I was actually really worried about trying to sustain race effort for 3+ hours without having anyone to pace with, but it turned out that it was actually kinda motivating having all the runners from the earlier heats out there in front of me to catch and “kill.”

Full RR coming this week sometime...

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 8
  • Love 3

Mrs. Gian took this picture, and I think it’s one of my favorite race photos ever.

The two of them were awesome out there on the course today and obviously great hosts for the weekend (neither of which should come as any surprise for those of you who’ve met them).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, gruecd said:

What do you think? ;) 

Honestly, I prob passed 250+ runners over the course of the 26.2 miles, and I got passed twice. I was actually really worried about trying to sustain race effort for 3+ hours without having anyone to pace with, but it turned out that it was actually kinda motivating having all the runners from the earlier heats out there in front of me to catch and “kill.”

Full RR coming this week sometime...

Nice! And it looked like after you blasted by the first runner, you were slowly feeling that next guy in.

In Tris, I got better with each event. I'm a flat out terrible swimmer...heats behind me would regularly just swim over the top of me and I'd generally get to T1 to a mostly empty bike pen. But I was ok on the bike, and would spend the rest of that segment passing people...especially since there were so few people finishing the swim behind me to pass me.

But the run was always my strength and I'd just pass person after person...it was bliss. so I can absolutely relate to the joy and inspiration in picking people off all race.

Eta... :lol:...reeling. with an "r". But likely feeling them in too.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, gruecd said:

You mean this photo? The dude who's clearly been doing push-ups?  Yep, me.

Why were you watching the guy on the far right sniffing that one guy’s balls with the left leg kick?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5