What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

Yes, but I most likely wore my sunglasses, which I probably wasn't actually wearing when we met in the dark pre-race. There is a chance I write contacts that day, however. I'll have to check a photo.
Yep, was wearing my sunglasses, which is what I usually wear for races. But it was very cloudy and tree covered and was supposed to be raining but held off. 

Third day after my second shot, first run since. Felt ok yesterday, but a little funky after my bike commute. Did my bridge/hill repeats this am...definitely felt *off* once the blood started pumping (headaches and out of it) but the legs felt good and I did some respectable times on the repeats so feeling good heading into my taper.

@SteelCurtain has been getting serious with the pushups the past week, I adjusted my routine to keep up today.  Getting my 2nd vaccine shot today, we'll see if that will impact what I can do tomorrow.  It is easy to see how this challenge could get out of hand, but I'll try to keep up.

Anyone ever seen anything on the level of effort of trail vs road running? I had searched some stuff before but couldn't really find anything that wasn't a generic "it is harder" kind of thing. I was thinking about it during/after my run last night.

Saturday I ran a 15k trail race, total climb per strava of only like 550 feet. There was some mud and yuck in places but I struggled to finish with a 10:07 pace - given the way things map on trails, it could have been a little faster than that - considering I did a bonus .25 and the watch measured the whole thing at like 9.25. But even if you assume that I actually did about 9.5. So, even if you account for that, I was running maybe 9:45/mile. HR was 160s pretty much the whole way. Relative effort via strava was off the charts for me.

Last night, similar weather/suck index, I ran about 7.25. Only about 60 feet of elevation gain but all smooth roads. Averaged 8:41/mile. Other than the legs feeling a little thick, I felt great and could have kept going for 2+ easily and/or could have pushed the pace up. I was also running almost directly into the wind the entire time. HR was in the 140s. 

Mostly just curiosity than any real need or something but did find it interesting. 

Anyone ever seen anything on the level of effort of trail vs road running? I had searched some stuff before but couldn't really find anything that wasn't a generic "it is harder" kind of thing. I was thinking about it during/after my run last night.

Saturday I ran a 15k trail race, total climb per strava of only like 550 feet. There was some mud and yuck in places but I struggled to finish with a 10:07 pace - given the way things map on trails, it could have been a little faster than that - considering I did a bonus .25 and the watch measured the whole thing at like 9.25. But even if you assume that I actually did about 9.5. So, even if you account for that, I was running maybe 9:45/mile. HR was 160s pretty much the whole way. Relative effort via strava was off the charts for me.

Last night, similar weather/suck index, I ran about 7.25. Only about 60 feet of elevation gain but all smooth roads. Averaged 8:41/mile. Other than the legs feeling a little thick, I felt great and could have kept going for 2+ easily and/or could have pushed the pace up. I was also running almost directly into the wind the entire time. HR was in the 140s. 

Mostly just curiosity than any real need or something but did find it interesting. 
Anything you find isn't going to be relevant. No two trails are the same. Hell, any particular trail varies depending on recent weather conditions.

Anything you find isn't going to be relevant. No two trails are the same. Hell, any particular trail varies depending on recent weather conditions.
Yeah, I get it. Just kind of curious. Take the course this weekend - it had a couple sections that had downhill stairs, which made its own interesting obstacle. Just kind of crazy to think how much terrain makes a difference. I rolled through the first mile in about 8 minutes but it was basically nice and wide, flat to downhill and little to deal with in the way of roots, hills, etc. Mile 2 had a couple hills, some almost single lane areas, both stair descents, plenty of roots. Mile 3 started with a long steady uphill, and included a lengthy stretch through mud that got worse with each lap. 

It's still just kind of amazing how much more I struggled this weekend verses it being a relatively comfortable run last night even with my legs still feeling some of those hills and mud. 

Yeah, I get it. Just kind of curious. Take the course this weekend - it had a couple sections that had downhill stairs, which made its own interesting obstacle. Just kind of crazy to think how much terrain makes a difference. I rolled through the first mile in about 8 minutes but it was basically nice and wide, flat to downhill and little to deal with in the way of roots, hills, etc. Mile 2 had a couple hills, some almost single lane areas, both stair descents, plenty of roots. Mile 3 started with a long steady uphill, and included a lengthy stretch through mud that got worse with each lap. 

It's still just kind of amazing how much more I struggled this weekend verses it being a relatively comfortable run last night even with my legs still feeling some of those hills and mud. 
I've generally agreed with the thought that trails add 1-1 1/2 minute/per mile to the pace.

I strongly recommend doing the same course this winter on a sheet of ice.

In my opinion, comparing a trail run pace vs a road run pace is completely worthless. Two totally different disciplines. 

@SteelCurtain has been getting serious with the pushups the past week, I adjusted my routine to keep up today.  Getting my 2nd vaccine shot today, we'll see if that will impact what I can do tomorrow.  It is easy to see how this challenge could get out of hand, but I'll try to keep up.
Ha ha.  I've been killing myself to catch up to you and now you just go throw a 160 up there before 10 a.m.  My god. 

You saying "I'll try to keep up" is like @Juxtatarot saying he'll "try to keep up with @SteelCurtain" when I run my marathon. 

Des Linden going for 50k record this morning in Oregon. 
“The current record is 3:07:20 held by @alydixon262. That’s 31.1 miles at 6:01-ish pace.”
I don't know about you guys, but watching that awful weather BM was one of my favorite events of the last several years.  Watching the hard men and women shine was awesome.

Des is a hard, hard woman.  Huge fan.

In my opinion, comparing a trail run pace vs a road run pace is completely worthless. Two totally different disciplines. 
Yup.  Generally I find myself about a minute per mile slower at the same effort level on trails vs roads, on very solid trail conditions.  

Big difference for me is that I just can't get into a metronomic rhythm on trails (for obvious reasons, and is a good thing).  You're always adjusting.  Turns, roots, rocks -- whatever.  It just takes more.

I miss trail running.  

:sadbanana:

Miles this week... 

Sunday 8.0 MAF pace

Monday 4.1 MAF pace

Tuesday 3.1 fartlek (5.3 to 8.0mph on treadmill)

Planning for something like 

Wednesday longer run.. maybe 6 to 7 miles at MAF pace

Thursday scheduled rest day, getting first Pfizer shot

Friday regular run (4 or 5 miles above MAF pace) will push to Saturday if I'm feeling the vaccine

Saturday 4 or 5 miles at MAF pace

unday long run of 8 miles MAF pace

Does that look reasonable?  Last week was 6 days of running, mostly in the 5k range with a 6 and a 7 for around 25 miles, this week will be between 28 and 30 depending on my schedule, I went from 7 to 8 last week so I figure another 8 is better for building my base than trying to up it to 9, and the slightly longer mid week run.  I know they say don't increase your long run more than about ten percent per week. Ut wasn't sure if the same applies to total mileage. 

Miles this week... 

Sunday 8.0 MAF pace

Monday 4.1 MAF pace

Friday regular run (4 or 5 miles above MAF pace) will push to Saturday if I'm feeling the vaccine

Does that look reasonable?  Last week was 6 days of running, mostly in the 5k range with a 6 and a 7 for around 25 miles, this week will be between 28 and 30 depending on my schedule, I went from 7 to 8 last week so I figure another 8 is better for building my base than trying to up it to 9, and the slightly longer mid week run.  I know they say don't increase your long run more than about ten percent per week. Ut wasn't sure if the same applies to total mileage. 
Yes, it’s reasonable. As much as we treat this like rocket science, it really isn’t. As long as you get out there and run consistently you should be fine. The particulars aren’t really a big deal.

Yes, it’s reasonable. As much as we treat this like rocket science, it really isn’t. As long as you get out there and run consistently you should be fine. The particulars aren’t really a big deal.
Yep, there's a time and a place to over-analyze but it is not early in any process. Steps 1 and 2 are move dammit and stay healthy. For all intents and purposes, nothing else matters until after those 2 steps are accomplished.

Miles this week... 

Sunday 8.0 MAF pace

Monday 4.1 MAF pace

Not seeing the pushups but I assume they are in there somewhere.  

Miles this week... 

Sunday 8.0 MAF pace

Monday 4.1 MAF pace

I would push the Friday run to Thursday (vaccine day).  You can hopefully run before you get the shot (or immediately afterwards.) Then you can take Friday as rest day for side effects from vaccine and from running. 

Other than that, it looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread