Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

24 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I drive the opposition nuts with a frantic and harassing style of play for 3-4 minutes per half 

Plus that annoying dum-dum poking people in the arms and legs while they try to get past you.

Edited by ChiefD
  • Laughing 4
  • Replies 54.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

4 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

I don't know but it seems like we have a lot of guys that are tall and use to play, I feel confident that I should be starting for one of the teams. I don't play anymore because of fear of injury, but I use to play.

Uh oh grue... :scared:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

O/U on ACLs torn during the 10K pickup best of 5 series? 

2.5?

I've only ever shared responsibility for someone else breaking their arm. As much as my old sand volleyball teammates feared for their knees any time I subbed, I'm still ACL free in any destruction I've caused.

1 hour ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Maybe similar to mac's description, I'm definitely a lunch pail type of player - tight D, good rebounder, decent passer.  My game's kind of goofy in that I grew late, so even though I'm 6'2" with decent "length" my post play is not great.  I'm a pretty solid 3 pt. shooter, but my favorite spot is near the top of the key and being a mediocre to poor dribbler I really shouldn't be up there too much.  :shrug:

I was 6'1, a buck twenty soaking wet, and double pepperoni faced aged 13. So my coaches used me in the post where I was the team's leading scorer in middle school. Problem is I'm still 6'1 today, so by the time everyone else developed I had no useful wing skills and was stuck without a position. I can dribble; it's just nothing productive ever resulted from my doing it...so I embraced my role of exhausting, frustrating, and irritating the opposition once per half.

42 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I've only ever shared responsibility for someone else breaking their arm. As much as my old sand volleyball teammates feared for their knees any time I subbed, I'm still ACL free in any destruction I've caused.

We had a semi-regular game with guys from a different employer until my extremely competitive coworker knocked someone's tooth out and they wouldn't play with us any more.  For myself, I did get my thumb broken once, but other than that it was mostly the occasional jammed finger.

I would still play today if I had the chance, but I have to admit a few years ago it freaked me out pretty good when one of my coworkers leapt to try to tip a long pass, came down weird (although it didn't look particularly awkward to me and I was only a few feet away), and ended up with his knee on top of his shin.  :X

So I got the race info today....checked the results of their last race a couple weeks ago. Not many people, and my actual PR is almost 10mins faster than the winning time.

While I was offhand hoping for some hardware, mostly I was looking forward to somebody pulling me along faster than my comfort zone. Not so interested in being the pace setter. The guy who won ran it basically at my comfortable, not breathing hard, cruising pace.

Feeling a little disappointed...but maybe this weekend will have more, faster people out there.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

We had a semi-regular game with guys from a different employer until my extremely competitive coworker knocked someone's tooth out and they wouldn't play with us any more.  For myself, I did get my thumb broken once, but other than that it was mostly the occasional jammed finger.

I would still play today if I had the chance, but I have to admit a few years ago it freaked me out pretty good when one of my coworkers leapt to try to tip a long pass, came down weird (although it didn't look particularly awkward to me and I was only a few feet away), and ended up with his knee on top of his shin.  :X

I broke my pinky toe at the very end of senior year. When it happened it felt like your typical jam. Those hurt like a MF'er and so did this, but I didn't think anything of it because I'd jammed joints so many times and this didn't fell any different. Then about 20-30 seconds later I realized for the first time in my life just how important the pinky toe is. I was sprinting down the court in practice to get in defensive position, lept into my jump set, and proceeded to side body slam right into the floor because my pinky toe was just like on no you're not.

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

So I got the race info today....checked the results of their last race a couple weeks ago. Not many people, and my actual PR is almost 10mins faster than the winning time.

While I was offhand hoping for some hardware, mostly I was looking forward to somebody pulling me along faster than my comfort zone. Not so interested in being the pace setter. The guy who won ran it basically at my comfortable, not breathing hard, cruising pace.

Feeling a little disappointed...but maybe this weekend will have more, faster people out there.

Yeah, that'd suck if you have to just go out there and win the race.

• Laughing 6
  • Thinking 1

Apparently the snow here today isn't enough.  There was an earthquake at 2:30am this morning.  I could have sworn there was one last week during @gruecd pre-race routine in the bathroom, but this one was legit.

If I'm not around anymore, it's probably because a tornado or a hurricane hit here tonight and took us all out.

• Like 2
Just now, gianmarco said:

Apparently the snow here today isn't enough.  There was an earthquake at 2:30am this morning.  I could have sworn there was one last week during @gruecd pre-race routine in the bathroom, but this one was legit.

If I'm not around anymore, it's probably because a tornado or a hurricane hit here tonight and took us all out.

Hey really sorry to hear about your natural disasters and life threatening conditions and also Floppo doesn't think his race is going to be hard enough, so, you know, thats just as bad.  

• Laughing 5
5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I love Kansas. Started snowing overnight and there was about 2" on the ground when I went to work and still snowing hard. Snowed until about 9 am.

All melted by 1:00 pm. 

11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, that'd suck if you have to just go out there and replace your trees.

• Laughing 2
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Nice work on the overthinking. You are nailing that part of your taper. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 7
4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

"HEY LOOK AT ME!  I'M THE FAVORITE TO WIN MY RACE"

• Like 3
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

:lol: I'm also feeling a little under the weather.

NAILING IT

Make sure to get a vaccine scheduled(I don’t care that you’re already vaccinated, the bar is high to be in this thread)

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
16 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

s/b nice weather in NYC for some tennis over the next couple of days.

Then some day drinking Saturday. Soak it up with some kielbasa and kraut. 

• Thinking 1
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Then some day drinking Saturday. Soak it up with some kielbasa and kraut. 

...and chicken breasts.  Don't forget the chicken breasts!!!

I mentioned over the weekend that I injured my heel on Saturday. I’ve been taking things slower since then although I tested it below 7:00 pace for a while today.

The heel doesn’t like speed at all. It’s OK walking and running slow but when I tried to really push off to run faster it didn’t take long to feel a lot of pain.

I schedule a 5K and half marathon this weekend and next but I can’t/shouldn’t try to run at those paces. So I’m sorry @tri-man 47 but I’m going to bail on our race.

I think I’m going to take off tomorrow and officially end my running streak. My guess is this is an injury that needs some rest.

Surprisingly, I’m not too bummed about it. I made a mistake by not paying enough attention to my calves but I’ll try to turn it into a learning experience. I think I know what to do to rehab it.

I’ll try for PRs in the fall. I do think I can get faster than I am now.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
13 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I mentioned over the weekend that I injured my heel on Saturday. I’ve been taking things slower since then although I tested it below 7:00 pace for a while today.

The heel doesn’t like speed at all. It’s OK walking and running slow but when I tried to really push off to run faster it didn’t take long to feel a lot of pain.

I schedule a 5K and half marathon this weekend and next but I can’t/shouldn’t try to run at those paces. So I’m sorry @tri-man 47 but I’m going to bail on our race.

I think I’m going to take off tomorrow and officially end my running streak. My guess is this is an injury that needs some rest.

Surprisingly, I’m not too bummed about it. I made a mistake by not paying enough attention to my calves but I’ll try to turn it into a learning experience. I think I know what to do to rehab it.

Ugh. That sucks.  A couple days off and maybe try the 5K this weekend?  The moment you feel the pain, you can shut it down to a slow jog (and probably still finish sub 20 minutes).

:FeelLikeADrugDealerPushingYou:

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

Ugh. That sucks.  A couple days off and maybe try the 5K this weekend?  The moment you feel the pain, you can shut it down to a slow jog (and probably still finish sub 20 minutes).

:FeelLikeADrugDealerPushingYou:

I don't want to limp to the finish line in a painful slow jog.  I think that is what would mostly likely happen.

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

:kicksrock:   for you ..

:kicksrock:   for me having to get up Zasada-early, drive to the far suburbs, and solo race a HM that I haven't fully prepped for and that isn't awarding AG medals.  <me> "Yup!" </me> 

Heal the heel TM , my friend.  BTW, is it the back of the heel?  I've gone through long periods dealing with bone spurs on each heel, respectively.  I think that's been @Ned's issue as well, without checking my FBG notes.  Hopefully you don't have that.  

• Like 3
Just now, Juxtatarot said:

I don't want to limp to the finish line in a painful slow jog.  I think that is what would mostly likely happen.

You're making the right decision. You now know what to do get faster and stay healthy. So, get healthy now then #### some #### up this fall. Not many can say they 16:__ aged 50!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

:kicksrock:   for you ..

:kicksrock:   for me having to get up Zasada-early, drive to the far suburbs, and solo race a HM that I haven't fully prepped for and that isn't awarding AG medals.  <me> "Yup!" </me> 

Heal the heel TM , my friend.  BTW, is it the back of the heel?  I've gone through long periods dealing with bone spurs on each heel, respectively.  I think that's been @Ned's issue as well, without checking my FBG notes.  Hopefully you don't have that.  

Yes, back of heel.  I had a similar injury (but on the other foot) in 2018 (that started much earlier) that I went to physical therapy for. I have a bit of Haglund's deformity on both heels but not too bad.  I'll be really surprised if stretches and strengthening doesn't fix this.

• Thinking 1

@Juxtatarotit has to be disappointing for this to come up with the way you have been running. I don’t know what to say other than you’re doing the smart thing giving it some time to heal. You know your body better than anyone.

I know I was disappointed with my minor injury thinking that I may only have a few training cycles left in me to realistically PR. Your recent success has been inspiring and has me rethinking that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good news finished my 9 mile run tonight

Bad news it was in the treadmill because it was raining off and on and I had kid duty most of the day

Good news i kept it nice and slow and stayed at 134 to 140 bpm the entire time

Bad news my Achilles might be sore.  Or high ankle.  If i put my thumb in the low middle of my calf muscle i can touch the top of thempart that hurts and it goes down a few inches towards my heel.  No pop, no sharp pain, just a soreness in the low calf to high ankle area that feels like it could be solved by rest, stretching and massage/theragun/hypervolt. 

Good news it's in strava so it happened

Bad news I'm probably going to take some time off running

Good news I have a rowing machine 

Bad news rowing is great for overall fitness but doesn't really help with running

Good news i don't really give a #### about running

I took a rest day yesterday but I've definitely been adding mileage quickly so I'll probably dial it back a bit. Nice to get that nine miler under my belt but I'm definitely not interested in risking my ability to walk for my ability to meet the next arbitrary goal of 10 miles so I'll probably chill for a bit and mix in some light running with some rowing to see how it feels.  I've got a hypervolt (theragun) and will give it some work, maybe even pay a professional in a non Deshaun Watson way to rub it for me if this doesn't go away on its own. 

• Like 5

Oh cool my toenail is purple I guess that means it's 50/50 to fall off what a cool hobby

The toenail is on the side where my low calf/high ankle is sore 

I'm guessing I was compensating to avoid hurting my toe and just made the muscles sore

By guessing I mean hoping 

Still sore this morning but not too bad

8 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Oh cool my toenail is purple I guess that means it's 50/50 to fall off what a cool hobby

At any given point in time I'm in the process of losing or growing-back 3-6 toenails.  

Badge of honour.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

This hobby sucks why do you guys all do this 

Mental health, competition, a curiosity of my body's limits, and a lack of will power in the kitchen.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

This hobby sucks why do you guys all do this 

In addition to the dietary freedom already mentioned, you can smoke your brother in law running fly patterns during Thanksgiving football.

Also, not to flex but I have yet to lose a toenail.  Cracked one when I accidentally kicked a snow flag a few years ago, but other than that... :bowtie:

3 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Black toenails are often a sign that your shoes are too tight. Consider going up a half size or so.

I used to lose toenails all the time in my soccer days, wearing cleats a size small and getting stomped too much. Haven't lost one since with the running and stuff.

7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Black toenails are often a sign that your shoes are too tight. Consider going up a half size or so.

This is what I was thinking and it's probably a good idea for me to get new shoes anyways 

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

This is what I was thinking and it's probably a good idea for me to get new shoes anyways 

The standard thread advice is to go to a running store and be properly fitted. It can be more pricey but is worth it since you are now officially a “runner”.