• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Oh cool my toenail is purple I guess that means it's 50/50 to fall off what a cool hobby

The toenail is on the side where my low calf/high ankle is sore 

I'm guessing I was compensating to avoid hurting my toe and just made the muscles sore

By guessing I mean hoping 

Still sore this morning but not too bad

Who wants to tell him the hot paper clip trick?

7 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Oh cool my toenail is purple I guess that means it's 50/50 to fall off what a cool hobby

The toenail is on the side where my low calf/high ankle is sore 

I'm guessing I was compensating to avoid hurting my toe and just made the muscles sore

By guessing I mean hoping 

Still sore this morning but not too bad

Surprised you’re having issues. You’ve been running for what 2 weeks and you’ve slowly ramped up to a 9 mile run?  Seems like you had a great plan, just tough luck I’d guess.

• Laughing 4
10 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Surprised you’re having issues. You’ve been running for what 2 weeks and you’ve slowly ramped up to a 9 mile run?  Seems like you had a great plan, just tough luck I’d guess.

My long runs have been 7, 7, 8, 7, 9 the last 5 weeks and my weekly mileage has gone from about 18 to 19 most weeks to i think 20, 23, 25, 27 and on pace for 30, so I really don't think it's gone up that quickly.  The place where I had my big jump was a month and a half ago when I went from daily 5ks and some 4 or 4.5 mile runs with a weekly rest day, to suddenly running 7.  That was a big jump, and i took an extra rest day that week, ate tons of protein and got lots of sleep. Almost all of my runs are at MAF pace, and last week I took two rest days and already took one this week the day before yesterday so it was only my fourth run in the past seven days. I don't think I have been doing anything that wild in terms of over training but that's why I have been asking questions. 

13 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

My long runs have been 7, 7, 8, 7, 9 the last 5 weeks and my weekly mileage has gone from about 18 to 19 most weeks to i think 20, 23, 25, 27 and on pace for 30, so I really don't think it's gone up that quickly.  The place where I had my big jump was a month and a half ago when I went from daily 5ks and some 4 or 4.5 mile runs with a weekly rest day, to suddenly running 7.  That was a big jump, and i took an extra rest day that week, ate tons of protein and got lots of sleep. Almost all of my runs are at MAF pace, and last week I took two rest days and already took one this week the day before yesterday so it was only my fourth run in the past seven days. I don't think I have been doing anything that wild in terms of over training but that's why I have been asking questions. 

He's either messing with you or didn't realize you've been running for a while. You're doing everything right. 

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

He's either messing with you or didn't realize you've been running for a while. You're doing everything right. 

Yup just messing with him

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

:oldunsure:

2 hours ago, Dickies said:

:oldunsure:

I had heard that an increase of ten percent on your long run per week, or ten percent of your mileage week over week, was pretty safe.  So jumping from a 4.5 mile long run to 7 a month ago was a big change but jumping from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9 really wasn't that crazy. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

I had heard that an increase of ten percent on your long run per week, or ten percent of your mileage week over week, was pretty safe.  So jumping from a 4.5 mile long run to 7 a month ago was a big change but jumping from 7 to 8 or 8 to 9 really wasn't that crazy. 

None of your jumps have been crazy. You've been on the conservative side. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

So I've seen two different orthopedic/sports medicine doctors this week (one of whom is the doctor for the local minor league baseball team), and while I'd need an MRI to confirm, both suspect that I have a degenerative horizonal meniscus tear.  I talked the last guy into giving me a cortisone shot yesterday afternoon, so apparently I should start feeling some pain relief within 48-72 hours of that.  The shots can supposedly last anywhere from 6 weeks to 6+ months, so I'm gonna keep running as long as I can, but I'm also going to do some PT and finally start doing some stretching (doc called me "tragically" inflexible) in the hope that I can get it healed up without needing to have it scoped.  If I do end up needing to go that route, I'm at least hoping I can make it through fall so I can have the surgery and rehab over the winter.  I've run 36 marathons over 17 years and logged probably 35,000 miles over that time without any major injuries, so I suppose I was probably running on borrowed time.  I was feeling pretty bad for myself until my mom texted me and told me that my 18-year-old cousin was just diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, so that immediately put everything in perspective.

• Sad 14
37 minutes ago, gruecd said:

So I've seen two different orthopedic/sports medicine doctors this week (one of whom is the doctor for the local minor league baseball team), and while I'd need an MRI to confirm, both suspect that I have a degenerative horizonal meniscus tear.  I talked the last guy into giving me a cortisone shot yesterday afternoon, so apparently I should start feeling some pain relief within 48-72 hours of that.  The shots can supposedly last anywhere from 6 weeks to 6+ months, so I'm gonna keep running as long as I can, but I'm also going to do some PT and finally start doing some stretching (doc called me "tragically" inflexible) in the hope that I can get it healed up without needing to have it scoped.  If I do end up needing to go that route, I'm at least hoping I can make it through fall so I can have the surgery and rehab over the winter.  I've run 36 marathons over 17 years and logged probably 35,000 miles over that time without any major injuries, so I suppose I was probably running on borrowed time.  I was feeling pretty bad for myself until my mom texted me and told me that my 18-year-old cousin was just diagnosed with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, so that immediately put everything in perspective.

Interesting tidbit from the linked article:  "This suggests that a degenerative meniscus tear is unlikely to be the source of a patient’s symptoms and any improvements gained following surgery can be attributed to the placebo effect or a natural resolution of symptoms." 

Hmmm...

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Interesting tidbit from the linked article:  "This suggests that a degenerative meniscus tear is unlikely to be the source of a patient’s symptoms and any improvements gained following surgery can be attributed to the placebo effect or a natural resolution of symptoms." 

Hmmm...

Then perhaps fixing the tragically inflexible problem is the key.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Then perhaps fixing the tragically inflexible problem is the key.

Most definitely will not hurt.  I actually "stretched" this morning for the first time in forever.  It's laughable.  I also have an appointment with a PT on Wednesday to get an exercise routine for it.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, gruecd said:

Who wants to tell him the hot paper clip trick?

I was always partial to a small drill. Wrap the shank in in some athletic tape and drill baby drill.

• Laughing 1
21 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Most definitely will not hurt.  I actually "stretched" this morning for the first time in forever.  It's laughable.  I also have an appointment with a PT on Wednesday to get an exercise routine for it.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how important flexibility may be for running as we get older and older. Is it possible to be a tragically inflexible marathon runner in one’s 60s? I don’t know but it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The good thing is we all can improve flexibility if we put in the work. I’m not very flexible either but I’ve been working on it in the last several months. Unfortunately I was ignoring calf stretches which quite possibly is why I’m injured now. I’m focusing on fixing that now though.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gruecd said:

Hate hearing the pain and diagnosis, but very happy to hear there's a good plan in place to deal with it.

So sorry about your cousin. :(

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, gruecd said:

I try to do the Peloton post run stretches after my runs.  Even if its just 5 minutes, it helps.  Matt Wilpers is the best one.  Becs Gentry might be a great runner (sub 2:30 marathoner) but I think her stretching classes are not very good....probably because I'm a slow runner compared to her.  :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gruecd said:

Sending good thoughts to your cousin.  Definitely puts things in perspective. 

• Thanks 1

And yeah....tragically inflexible. Me to a T. Even at my most fit college soccer or Tri days, and going back to being a kid athlete- could never remotely touch my toes. 

• Like 1

What is your guys typical (before all of this tragically inflexible talk) stretching routine?

I do a series of light (12-15 sec hold) stretches for each leg group after my runs. But that's it.

My mom has been doing a quick, 10 min yoga routine every morning for 50 years. She's 85 and still jogs twice a week and hikes twice a week (in Duck training land, Mt Tam).

I keep telling myself to learn what she does and follow suit...but I'm tragically inflexible in more ways than one, and haven't.

• Like 1

My wife lost her first toenail yesterday 😍 I've never been more turned on. ;)

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4
4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

What is your guys typical (before all of this tragically inflexible talk) stretching routine?

I don't stretch before or after. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I’ve been thinking a lot about how important flexibility may be for running as we get older and older.

Not only from an injury-prevention standpoint, but also from a performance standpoint.  As the doc pointed out yesterday, as tight as I am, my body spends an excessive amount of energy just fighting itself.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I keep telling myself to learn what she does and follow suit...but I'm tragically inflexible in more ways than one, and haven't.

You and me both, brother.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I do a series of light (12-15 sec hold) stretches for each leg group after my runs. But that's it.

My mom has been doing a quick, 10 min yoga routine every morning for 50 years. She's 85 and still jogs twice a week and hikes twice a week (in Duck training land, Mt Tam).

Yoga with adriene free YouTube videos about 20 to 30 minutes.  Her original 30 days of yoga from 2015 was intended to be done one per day and they all focus on different stuff and gradually introduce new poses.  There are definitely more challenging instructors and you can do a lot of stretching specifically for running but for overall strength and flexibility it's hard to beat yoga.  Give it a week and if you get past day 7 and don't like it then let me know what you do and don't like about it and I can point you to something else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Good luck tomorrow @El Floppo! What’s the weather going to be like?

Right now, race start at 9am looking like clear, mid 50s with 7-10mph wind.

The wind looks like it will be the x factor tomorrow in terms of my pace. I ran there right before my back blew- wide open, right on the river/opening to NYC harbor, so will always be windy especially later in the morning. And the wind that day was in the same direction as the out and back course making a tail wind and head wind each way. 

We'll see. I'll try to use the wind on the downwind sections by picking up the pace a bit, and push to keep the same relative effort on the way back into it (letting the pace slide).

I have the same A, B, C goals of sub 1:40, sub 1:36 and sub 1:32.

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Right now, race start at 9am looking like clear, mid 50s with 7-10mph wind.

The wind looks like it will be the x factor tomorrow in terms of my pace. I ran there right before my back blew- wide open, right on the river/opening to NYC harbor, so will always be windy especially later in the morning. And the wind that day was in the same direction as the out and back course making a tail wind and head wind each way. 

We'll see. I'll try to use the wind on the downwind sections by picking up the pace a bit, and push to keep the same relative effort on the way back into it (letting the pace slide).

I have the same A, B, C goals of sub 1:40, sub 1:36 and sub 1:32.

Get you some!  Do we have tracking capabilities?

:headbang:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Get you some!  Do we have tracking capabilities?

:headbang:

They're using Racejoy. Never used it myself.

I get my bib at the race, so not sure what my info will be yet, or if it's just attached to my name.

Eta...race name: Citytri Runs Race Again at Verrazano

Edited by El Floppo
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

They're using Racejoy. Never used it myself.

I get my bib at the race, so not sure what my info will be yet, or if it's just attached to my name.

Eta...race name: Citytri Runs Race Again at Verrazano

Search "Verrazano".  It comes up. Looks like our hero doesn't have a bib # yet.  If you know his name (MK), you can find him on there.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 10:25 AM, Dr_Zaius said:

That's a tough one since there's no Strava for basketball.  I would be tempted to go with some of the stronger, younger guys, but it's hard to argue with the known quantity of @Zasada being the tallest guy in the thread.

Just came across this and figured you guys would enjoy.

• Laughing 1
26 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Search "Verrazano".  It comes up. Looks like our hero doesn't have a bib # yet.  If you know his name (MK), you can find him on there.

How many people are signed up for the hm? Last one only had about 15.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

It may be a me problem, but I get the perception when I post details about my strength training it seems over whelming. In text form it probably is, but in practice I don't think most of it's overly complex and the movements that are more challenging can be simplified. But maybe that message will be clearer in this context...cause the strength work that I do is geared towards today's topic d'jour - enhancing flexibility.

I'm not. And I really wasn't until 13-14 years ago. Since then it comes and goes. But the physical peaks that I've hit have all been when my flexibility has been favorable. At first it was because I was doing a lot of pilates - a fling with the instructor caused me to stick with those classes long enough to realize the benefits. I then utilized those concepts and movements in my own routines and eventually my clients too. I don't think it's a coincidence when I get away from them (whether intentional or not) I run into problems. I'm certainly not always humming along when I'm consistent with them (i.e. now), but the good periods always happen when I am.

To answer your question I don't have a typical routine. The only time I ever stretch anything before I run is before a shorter race; never any other run. And I almost never stretch after. I never felt like I got anything out of them when I was forced to do them in youth sports and I think it's stuck with me ever since. This is how I navigated my way around that problem. Flexibility work is necessary to sustain health and maximize performance, so I incorporated it into my strength training. It's almost exclusively dynamic movements utilizing my own body weight, free weights, or bands and I (almost) never do the same movements in the same order twice. 

• Like 1

Always amazes me when stretch/no stretch comes up. I spam you on strava with mine. I really feel like dog#### if I don’t do that stuff.

If I’m going for top fav it’s easily downward dog. Hits the whole posterior chain shoulders to heels in no time. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Just came across this and figured you guys would enjoy.

Reminds me of old the show Pros vs. Joes - there was one episode where they had to go one on one with Dan Majerle.  You knew that Dan would be able to score at will, but what honestly surprised me was how the contestants basically couldn't score at all against him, as it's not like Majerle was known for his defense.

On similar lines, at the aforementioned gym there was a guy who played with us a few times who apparently played guard at a local DII school.  No idea if he was even a starter, but umm... he was a lot better than us.  Super nice dude though.

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

It may be a me problem, but I get the perception when I post details about my strength training it seems over whelming. In text form it probably is, but in practice I don't think most of it's overly complex and the movements that are more challenging can be simplified. But maybe that message will be clearer in this context...cause the strength work that I do is geared towards today's topic d'jour - enhancing flexibility.

I'm not. And I really wasn't until 13-14 years ago. Since then it comes and goes. But the physical peaks that I've hit have all been when my flexibility has been favorable. At first it was because I was doing a lot of pilates - a fling with the instructor caused me to stick with those classes long enough to realize the benefits. I then utilized those concepts and movements in my own routines and eventually my clients too. I don't think it's a coincidence when I get away from them (whether intentional or not) I run into problems. I'm certainly not always humming along when I'm consistent with them (i.e. now), but the good periods always happen when I am.

To answer your question I don't have a typical routine. The only time I ever stretch anything before I run is before a shorter race; never any other run. And I almost never stretch after. I never felt like I got anything out of them when I was forced to do them in youth sports and I think it's stuck with me ever since. This is how I navigated my way around that problem. Flexibility work is necessary to sustain health and maximize performance, so I incorporated it into my strength training. It's almost exclusively dynamic movements utilizing my own body weight, free weights, or bands and I (almost) never do the same movements in the same order twice. 

Do you avoid static stretching due to time or another reason? You mention not feeling you got much out of stretching in your youth but I’m guessing that was the typical pre-game/practice stuff that we all did. I’ve often read that dynamic stretching is good pre-workout and static stretching should be done post-workout or, at least, after a warmup. The times I’ve done physical therapy, the emphasis has been on static stretching after a warmup.

My typical morning routine has been running first, followed by strength exercises, and then finally a series of static stretches. I’ve noticed some modest flexibility gains but I like to consider doing things differently.

Edited by Juxtatarot
6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Do you avoid static stretching due to time or another reason? I’ve often read that dynamic stretching is good pre-workout and static stretching should be done post-workout or, at least, after a warmup. The times I’ve done physical therapy, the emphasis has been on static stretching after a warmup.

My typical morning routine has been running first, followed by strength exercises, and then finally a series of static stretches. I’ve noticed some modest flexibility gains but I like to consider doing things differently.

High level, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with static movements; I just think they are an inefficient use of time. This exercise was prescribed for my PT. It's an effective movement. To put Humpty Dumpty back together my priority was alignment and that's best achieved via a series of stabilized iso movements. This was part of a fixed routine (3x per week) I did for about 8 weeks after the accident. But something like this exercise is more efficient and is what I shifted back once on the other side. The primary muscle work is the same, but the force is enhanced with the band. And more importantly the rest of your body is engaged too. It has to in order to stay balanced standing on a single leg. When I mentioned before how more complex movements I do can be simplified this is what I meant. 

Thing is, this being a more demanding movement it cannot be done every day. It generally takes 48-72 hours for a complete recovery, so I don't do that movement or other similar ones that engage the same muscle groups more than 2-3x per week. Now, would it be a bad idea to do static movements that engage the same muscle group before/after runs on days in between doing this movement? :shrug:. I know that I've had success not doing them and the dynamic regimens deployed 2-3x per week work...so why do more if I don't have to? Especially since I don't know if my body would respond negatively to every day muscle engagement.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

).

I've only rarely stretched, and lately my back and legs know it. And scream it at me. 

New challenge - yoga?

19 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Can someone do me a favor and re-post that link to the bike shorts that someone liked so much? TIA!

Pretty sure this is what Harris uses. French.