What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Update.  Will try to keep it short.

Saw the Doc on Thursday.  He thought it was either a stress fracture or a tendon issue.  X-Rays didn't indicate the former, but he said they don't always reveal that.

Anyways, he said the only thing to really fix it (in either case) is rest.

So, because I have an MBA, and my leg was feeling a little better after four days off, I went out for a run yesterday.  Leg hurt a bit right from the beginning, but I got it done.  Then my leg hurt the whole day.  And again this morning, despite taking Naproxen last night.

So this morning, I gear up and head out for my usual Saturday long run.  10 seconds in, I knew it wasn't happening.  Pain was way worse than yesterday, and while I could have just rubbed some dirt on it and pushed-through, I figured I was just delaying my recovery even more.  So I shut it down, put my tail between my legs, and went back inside.

Hoping to salvage some kind of success out of my pit of failure, I tried this today for the first time in months (been afraid to try).  I need the 10K judges to chime in:  Was my form inadequate, or does it count?  Please be honest, I don't want an effort award.  Either I did it, or I didn't.

What say ye??? 
Ugh.  I’m sorry about the leg.  Hope it heals up quickly. Rest is definitely the right medicine.

great job on the pushups.  Slower pushups are harder so you are challenging yourself and doing them the right pace. I’m putting 3 on the spreadsheet!

Saw the Doc on Thursday.  He thought it was either a stress fracture or a tendon issue.  X-Rays didn't indicate the former, but he said they don't always reveal that.

So, because I have an MBA, and my leg was feeling a little better after four days off, I went out for a run yesterday.  Leg hurt a bit right from the beginning, but I got it done.  Then my leg hurt the whole day.  And again this morning, despite taking Naproxen last night.

So this morning, I gear up and head out for my usual Saturday long run.  10 seconds in, I knew it wasn't happening.  Pain was way worse than yesterday, and while I could have just rubbed some dirt on it and pushed-through, I figured I was just delaying my recovery even more.  So I shut it down, put my tail between my legs, and went back inside.

Hoping to salvage some kind of success out of my pit of failure, I tried this today for the first time in months (been afraid to try).  I need the 10K judges to chime in:  Was my form inadequate, or does it count?  Please be honest, I don't want an effort award.  Either I did it, or I didn't.

What say ye??? 
I'll let someone else comment further on those pants but they make it a bit difficult to tell how you're doing on the way down.  Make sure you keep a strong core on the way up and down. It looks like your shoulders are on their way up before your butt and that can cause injuries later.  I usually look like that on the last pushup but not the first.  The slow controlled movement is really good and I would rather do 10 pushups at that speed than 15 fast ones.  Sorry to hear about the bum wheel.  

Pacing on Strava looks really solid.  I'm thinking the timing mat was a bit off as his first mile was not blazing hot like we thought.  Overall looks like a great race with a strong finish.  Can't wait for the race report.
Dunno which to count. Strava has me a minute faster. I vote strava.

That first mile... :lol:  ... there were only like 15 of us in the HM race. The rest were 5&10k runners. I was on a guys heels out of the gate...combo of race excitement, feeling great, and wanting somebody to pace off of. I looked at my pace- yeah, 6:45. Ruhroh, let's slow this down. I asked the guy on front what his target was...he had no idea- had never run a hm before! I asked again, and he threw out...maybe 1:50? I actually loled at that. Him- "What?" ...me- "you're going just a tad hot for that". 

At that point the real front runner passed us doing 7s. I jumped on to him but realized it was still too hot, so settled into 7:05-10s for as long as I could.

More later..

Finished 2nd btw. Had meant to ask the winner how old he was...looked like he could've been in my age bracket, which would suck.

A whole running club just pulled up in matching outfits. Looks like I'll have people to pace me.. if I can keep up.

Really is perfect right now. Very light wind and mid/low 50s.

And I just shoveled it.
I can't explain how perfect that all worked out.

Although...in the porta-potty, I dropped my thermos of coffee while I was doing my thing, which hit the floor loudly. I could hear the people in line outside stop their conversations dead at the sound, with muffled, shocked whispers after that.

I bound out of there with a giant whooooop!

Too bad the running club were all slow af 10k people.

Finished 2nd btw. Had meant to ask the winner how old he was...looked like he could've been in my age bracket, which would suck.
Well la di da I'm just going to run a race for the first time in decades when I used to be a stud college soccer player and did tris for fun and now I mostly just wear scarves and get lost running a 5k in a city where the streets aren't always straight but I'm going to just run a lot now and jump in a race in the country's largest city where my PR leaves me enough time to catch the wrong train to the race and still win but I figure I'll show up early and post in the thread a few times and then run back and forth 3 times on a beautiful spring day so that I can't get lost and take 2nd place while chatting up other runners and feeling great and not even having a watch that really works because then I'd have no excuse for not trying that hard and blaming my flip phone for autocorrect all the time.

Well la-di-di oh i guess i'll just wake up in the big apple and casually ride a subway with all the freaks coming from a night of debauchery and stumble off the train and line up in a big city half marathon and run with my mapmyrun and weave through all the drug dealers and needles laying in the streets and not be attacked by a bear and oh by the way finish in 2nd place overall....

What say ye??? 
I thought you were going to physical therapy.  Was this a sports doctor?

@Zasada, sorry to hear the diagnosis.  Be patient with things ...don't let the group's Strava activity lure you into too much, too soon.

Some good observations already on the push-ups.  It does look like the lower body is sagging a little too much.  And be careful to not the elbows flair out too much.  It's tougher to keep the elbows closer to the body, but as I understand it, that's the better technique.

I hope y'all are doing well!  Going to try and catch up in here a bit and try to join in on the fun again.  Interesting week for me, running wise.  First off, I actually ran a little!  First time in months, put on running gear and jogged a bit during two of my morning walks with Summit.  Not surprisingly everything hurts.  Amazing how tight my calves felt, how sore the tendons and stuff were from jogging a couple of miles total during a 4 mile walk.  I did manage a 10:16 mile yesterday, so that wasn't too bad.  Most of this is on Pre's Trail here in Eugene, which is kind of inspiring in and of itself.  On the flip side today is the Canyons 100K which was supposed to be my return to the trails, so that was a bit of a bummer to see all the pics on FB from friends that are there in Foresthill for the race.

This morning was a full on "Welcome to Track Town USA" experience.  The Oregon Relays meet started last night at the new Hayward Field.  Fans aren't allowed yet other than family/friends of the athletes, but I walked by as the field events were starting last night, and watched a few of the races on YouTube this morning.  And then when out on our walk this morning on Pre's Trail, all the distance runners were out on shake out runs.  A whole bunch of East Africans flew by me at various points, and I got to see the Oregon team run by.  There was also some sort of race series going on, so regular people with bibs were everywhere.  

The USATF meet continues today with several Olympians participating, the last two hours will be broadcast live.  The AirBnB we're staying in for the month is close enough to be able to hear the PA announcer and the few fans that will be in attendance, so we'll be watching while being able to hear it through the window.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did the doctor say about physical therapy?
He didn't suggest it, and I didn't ask.  He just said "whether it's a stress fracture or ligament/tendon strain, the treatment is the same -- rest".

Probably should have asked.  But I'm terrible with doctors.

He didn't suggest it, and I didn't ask.  He just said "whether it's a stress fracture or ligament/tendon strain, the treatment is the same -- rest".

Probably should have asked.  But I'm terrible with doctors.
Rest certainly seems like a good idea based on your descriptions.  I just think it’s possible that a good physical therapist could give you some techniques on how to avoid future injuries. (Plus help your glute issue.)

Hadn't run in a week and a half... have umped baseball games almost every day of the week lately other than Sundays and do a bunch of yard work them. Ran the 3rd in the trail 15k series today. It was a flatter, faster course that went pretty well all things considered. 

Have to commit myself to early morning runs but tasks more resolve to do so than I've had lately. 

El Floppo said:
Dunno which to count. Strava has me a minute faster. I vote strava.

That first mile... :lol:  ... there were only like 15 of us in the HM race. The rest were 5&10k runners. I was on a guys heels out of the gate...combo of race excitement, feeling great, and wanting somebody to pace off of. I looked at my pace- yeah, 6:45. Ruhroh, let's slow this down. I asked the guy on front what his target was...he had no idea- had never run a hm before! I asked again, and he threw out...maybe 1:50? I actually loled at that. Him- "What?" ...me- "you're going just a tad hot for that". 

At that point the real front runner passed us doing 7s. I jumped on to him but realized it was still too hot, so settled into 7:05-10s for as long as I could.

More later..
Ok... This was three loops, out and back along the river and under the Verrazano. Slight tailwind on the out- which you can see on my strava with the pace dipping up and down slightly depending on which way I was heading. There was a 5k and 10k that started 10mins after us and followed the same course, but with a shorter turn around point.

M1-2 see above. Once I realized I wasn't going to hang with the winner, it was a bunch of open mileage with nobody to pace off of. But I felt good and settled into a pace that felt pushed but comfortable- 7:05-7:10. I didn't want to blow up my first time back. Wasn't far off the winner after he made his turn.

M3-4. This is where I realized there was a wind, however slight.  upped the effort a little to keep the pace going (even though the pace slowed slightly). I was still in eye sight of the winner, so also tried to use that to keep things going. Got to see the rest of the pack after the turn- I had already opened distance to the rest of them. A woman was in third, looking strong. We hit the 5&10k crowd on the way back. I ended up getting passed by a couple guys going 7-7:10s and tried to tag along.

M5-6/7 after the next turn back with the wind, I checked my pace and even with the wind at my back, and those 10k runners pacing me, I was already starting to slow below 7:10. Told myself to htfu and keep seeing those single digits after the 7. The time checking of the pace made this leg feel long, especially after the 10k crowd hit their turn leaving nobody in front of me to pace from. Saw the winner had stretched out a longer lead and was looking strong- no blowups likely for me to take advantage of if I somehow had the legs to push the last loop.

M7-9.. back into the wind again and starting to feel it. Breathing felt fine, but the legs were feeling tight and just wouldn't turn over the way I wanted them to. Nobody to pace from, even further on, as the faster 10k people had all finished already. This leg was a slog.

Oh... :lol: ...decided to take a gel and water here. Haven't had a gel in 15 years. Haven't trained with even drinking water the last year, let alone a snack. Also a big proponent of racing how you train. :doh:

M10-11... Back with the wind behind me and onto my final loop, but also realizing I had a gel and water in my system and the legs are feeling worked. Nobody in front of me but the slowest 10k Told myself the gel was going to fuel me for a giddy up I needed any minute now (when I wasn't wondering if every hitch in my side wasn't a result of the damned thing). Saw the pace start rising over 7:20 into the 7:30s occasionally. Nfw was I going to mess this up by losing the plot at this point...dug deep (or maybe it was the gel) to make sure I was keeping it in the 7-teens or quicker. And maybe the winner looked to be slowing at the last turnaround?

M12-13.1... back into the wind again, but with the knowledge it was in striking distance. Gave the winner a big thumbs up and shout when I saw him at the turn and made sure to thank all the volunteers on the course (I always do). Put the head down and kept telling myself I had tempoed faster than this and could push the legs to go just a little faster for the last couple. Third place woman seemed to be closing the gap on me too...I better make sure to giddy the f up so I don't get passed. Legs were really feeling it, even though the breathing was still strong. It's usually the opposite for me.

I passed by an overpass and slight curve where I could finally see the finish line. Pushed it here... And saw the HM 6:45/m = 1:50 newb not far from the finish as he was walking out to start his third loop. He yelled out that I was looking close to the 1:35 I told him I was shooting for, which helped fire that last stretch. Got to the tape and they yelled out my name as the second place finisher. I've only ever finished top 10 once (when I PRed at 1:32 something) so this felt pretty cool...even if there wasnt anybody yelling or clapping for me at the finish line.

Interesting race. Perfect conditions- light wind (usually blowing pretty good there), high 50s, flat. Not many racers, so didn't have to zig zag around people...but also lacked anybody really to push me past my pace.

I feel like I could have used a better/longer taper. The couple times I've had to back off training a week or two due to the back or hams, I've felt super frosty when I got back in. Here, the legs felt just a little heavy and tight- couldn't turn them over the way I was hoping heading into this.

I know it's topical the last few days, but also feel like some yoga and strength/flexibility work would really help open things up for me. The hip flexors were just super tight.

But that's a quibble and a goal for future days. Honestly felt like a raced my utmost the race I had trained for. I might have hoped the legs would magically keep burning @ 7s, but looking back, my training doesn't really support that. And I'm genuinely happy and content with the result..especially if I count the full 1 min faster Strava HM time (1:34:21)  as official. 

SFBayDuck said:
the new Hayward Field.  

The USATF meet continues today with several Olympians participating, the last two hours will be broadcast live.  The AirBnB we're staying in for the month is close enough to be able to hear the PA announcer and the few fans that will be in attendance, so we'll be watching while being able to hear it through the window.
That Hayward complex ...wow!!!  Very cool experience on the trails for you with those world class runners passing by!

I'll catch the broadcast later and shout out to you.  Let me know if you hear me.

Its like this.....

However, I do it sitting so my one foot is on the ground.  I then pull the bent leg closer and sit up straight up.  When I sit up straight I can feel it really stretching. 

I feel like this really helps me work out my glute.

Obviously, I do it on both sides. But I do a bit extra on my bad glute side.
Great one, its a variation on the pigeon or seated pigeon that you’ll see both on the ground and in a chair.  I double up my tighter side too for more pigeon power. 

Hadn't run in a week and a half... have umped baseball games almost every day of the week lately other than Sundays and do a bunch of yard work them. Ran the 3rd in the trail 15k series today. It was a flatter, faster course that went pretty well all things considered. 

Have to commit myself to early morning runs but tasks more resolve to do so than I've had lately. 
Not sure you can say I raced this but I feel compelled to give a little more info on it. This one was mostly flat - total elevation gain per strava for the 15k was about 285 feet. Start of the race was all relatively wide trails - first part a bit windy through some trees then wide open through fields - much like a lot of HS cross country courses. At about the 2.3 mile mark we split off to a loop we had to run twice. It was about a 3 mile loop. The first 1.5 miles was twisty single lane trail the had much of the hills in the course. Not a lot of tree roots or anything so I just worked on being consistent on the uphills and just cruised on the downhills. The 2nd half of the loop was all relatively flat along the banks of the river. Only issue was some large/chunky gravel in a few places for erosion control. 

I was pretty happy to keep a mostly consistent pace on the loop for both laps. There was a strava segment for most of the loop - first pass I was 23:55 and the 2nd trip around I was 24:23 so I was very happy I didn't have the fall off I've had in the first couple of these trail races. After the 2nd loop, we rejoined the 5k route. The first part of this was the trickiest part of the whole course. It hit a single lane trail with several hills and twists all with quite a few roots and other obstacles. Pace slowed here a bit while navigated this section but then it opened back up to a nice open field for the last 3/4 mile. 

The was one downside/disappointment. Coming out of the trees/hills the 2nd time and then after winding along the river a bit, I found myself in a pack of runners - there were 7 of us grouped together. 4 of us had been running together a lot, 2 we had caught up to and 1 had caught up to us. With about 2.5 miles to go or so I was hoping to stay with them to the end and see how many I could beat. 1 of them fell back during the tricky section coming out of the loop, the rest all gained ground on me in that section. I closed the gap on several of them when we got back to flat ground but did not have quite enough in me to catch them. 2 of them ended up being in my age group and both beat me by less than 30 seconds. 

Users who are viewing this thread