What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

This is how I know I'll never be one of you. I was mildly excited when I hit 9 miles last Wednesday but I tweaked a muscle and haven't run since. Getting back to it today and need to decide if I should do like 5 on the treadmill or 7 outside. Kind of want to do the 7 but not sure if I'd be pushing too hard for my first run after a short layoff. 
We're all different. I'm a lot more conservative than most of the others when my body isn't right, but I spend a relatively crazy amount of time messing with the details of my regimen. For comparisons sake, I am to my exercise regimen what you were with your CICO and macros during your weight loss journey.

This is how I know I'll never be one of you. I was mildly excited when I hit 9 miles last Wednesday but I tweaked a muscle and haven't run since. Getting back to it today and need to decide if I should do like 5 on the treadmill or 7 outside. Kind of want to do the 7 but not sure if I'd be pushing too hard for my first run after a short layoff. 
Yeah, these are the conundrums with running. How to differentiate soreness with injury.

For me, something always hurts. So I'll go out and run and 99% of the time it works itself out after a half mile or so.  As far as the distance goes, run what feels comfortable. There are a lot of days where I an thinking 5 and run 7, or I'm thinking 5 and run 3.

Last night was a perfect example. It's usually my night to run at least 6-7 at my son's soccer practice. After a mile I knew it wasn't gonna happen. Just felt awful the whole run.

Squeezed out 5 and called it a day. So the moral of the story is - just run. Your body will tell you what to do.

First post race run...left quad feels like it took a baseball bat.

Ok. What next.
Day two...easy short same route- legs feel a little better. Whiffle ball bat beating instead of aluminum.

I'll take it easy this week with mileage and effort and get back into things moving forward. Haven't yet, but want to start with some planks and pushups. And need to do the calf drops- my achilles have been barking since the race.

With my daughter back in school 5 days a week, I'm taking her...which means less time in the morning for my runs. Planning on waking up earlier (5-5:30 instead of 6) a day or two to start getting a little more midweek mileage in than my usual 4-6/day (20 +/- per work week).

Thinking about another HM this summer and in the fall. Maybe a fall marathon instead.

I had 8 years of shots as a kid.  Presumably it helped, but days like today where you can see the pollen everywhere are still pretty miserable.  Unfortunately my oldest daughter's spring allergies are even worse.
I had shots as a kid but seems to have mostly gone away. Only allergy issues I really suffer from any more are bee stings and poison ivy. I haven't been stung often in many a year but I swell up like a balloon when I am. And poison ivy is the absolute suck. I break out like there's no tomorrow - and there's no shot for that.

Actually kind of funny story... when I was probably about 13+/- I got poison ivy something terrible. The next spring I got a series of like 3 poison ivy 'vaccine shots'. A few months later I got poison ivy so bad that I ended up in the hospital for about a week and then had a nasty reaction to an epinephrine shot that they thought might actually kill me. But after that I didn't get poison ivy at all for about 20 years - while I have always tried to watch out for it, I do enough hiking and stuff that there is no way I totally avoided it for that long. When I started getting it again, it was just minor for awhile but then I got it pretty bad again when I was in my late 30's. I tried to find out if I could get the shots again - I was willing to risk a really bad case if it meant another 20 years of not getting it. Turns out the vaccine shots I got in the early 80s were purely experimental and they were ended after a number of people died and/or had serious issues like I did. I'd still risk it for 20 years of peace from the evil weed but no dice!

See my post above.

One is a muscle strengthening exercise. One is an Achilles injury conditioning exercise. 

They are similar but different in their execution and their desired outcomes.
thanks. actually in thinking about it, when my heel is really hurting, I will use 2 feet sometimes. But I've done it because I have needed a little help/support. This makes a lot of since on why. 

For those of you who generally leave your Garmin watch on most of the day/night, what’s your average stress score? I’m at a 21.

I had shots as a kid but seems to have mostly gone away. Only allergy issues I really suffer from any more are bee stings and poison ivy. I haven't been stung often in many a year but I swell up like a balloon when I am. And poison ivy is the absolute suck. I break out like there's no tomorrow - and there's no shot for that.

Actually kind of funny story... when I was probably about 13+/- I got poison ivy something terrible. The next spring I got a series of like 3 poison ivy 'vaccine shots'. A few months later I got poison ivy so bad that I ended up in the hospital for about a week and then had a nasty reaction to an epinephrine shot that they thought might actually kill me. But after that I didn't get poison ivy at all for about 20 years - while I have always tried to watch out for it, I do enough hiking and stuff that there is no way I totally avoided it for that long. When I started getting it again, it was just minor for awhile but then I got it pretty bad again when I was in my late 30's. I tried to find out if I could get the shots again - I was willing to risk a really bad case if it meant another 20 years of not getting it. Turns out the vaccine shots I got in the early 80s were purely experimental and they were ended after a number of people died and/or had serious issues like I did. I'd still risk it for 20 years of peace from the evil weed but no dice!
When I was 7 or 8, I went hiking with my mom in the area above our house (Marin Headlands). We followed an old fire road we had always wanted to try, that quickly got crowded and overgrown with bushes. We pushed through and then headed back home the way we came.

The next morning I woke up, opened my eyes, and immediately thought I was dead; I couldn't see anything but black. I then thought I was blind, and screamed for my parents. My face had swollen my eyes shut in reaction to bushwhacking for an hour through over the head poison oak. Allergy medicine fixed it over the next couple days.

Juxtatarot said:
For those of you who generally leave your Garmin watch on most of the day/night, what’s your average stress score? I’m at a 21.
24 average for the L12M.  22 for Apr MTD.

The Iguana said:

Ironically, I don't think I'm really allergic to bee stings or poison ivy.  But I have pretty much everything else - dust mites, mold, grass pollen, tree pollen, ragweed, dogs, cats, birds, plus some food allergies for good measure.  Given all that I was always very worried about bee stings, but the one and only time I got stung thankfully nothing happened.  I remember getting mild poison ivy a couple of times as a kid, but I haven't had it in decades, which makes me wonder if I've somehow amazingly avoided it or if I don't react anymore.

That's a crazy story with the poison ivy vaccines.  What confuses me about some of the science around allergies is that things like allergy shots are based on the idea of controlled exposure building up resistance over time.  Similarly, I've read they've even tried some protocols on people with severe food allergies where they start with an infinitesimal dose and slowly make it so they are in little danger of deadly anaphylaxis.  But, on the other hand you read things about being hypersensitized to poison ivy after repeated exposure.  The dose makes the poison, I guess  :shrug:

El Floppo said:
When I was 7 or 8, I went hiking with my mom in the area above our house (Marin Headlands). We followed an old fire road we had always wanted to try, that quickly got crowded and overgrown with bushes. We pushed through and then headed back home the way we came.

The next morning I woke up, opened my eyes, and immediately thought I was dead; I couldn't see anything but black. I then thought I was blind, and screamed for my parents. My face had swollen my eyes shut in reaction to bushwhacking for an hour through over the head poison oak. Allergy medicine fixed it over the next couple days.
Stories like this freak me out, as while I think I at minimum don't get poison ivy very easily, I've heard similar stories from people who have had a massive exposure and it just sounds like a nightmare.

Speaking of watches (and at the risk of getting deluged with replies), what's the take on the latest Garmin offerings?  My 225 battery life is starting to noticeably decline, plus the HRM has always been wonky, so I'm thinking about upgrading.  I do music through my phone, so I don't need that - basically just want accurate GPS and HR (and I don't want to wear a chest strap for said HR).

Ran my full 7 mile run outdoors and crushed my regular pace for the first five miles before slowing down a bit. Was several minutes ahead of pace and could probably have kept going if I were fully healthy and this was a race.  My low calf still had some pain once I got a couple miles in, but it seems like soreness not injury. Maybe I should try these heelies you guys are doing. It's one of the muscles that makes my foot go up and down on the ankle joint right below my calf and above my ankle,but it's very specifically a littler muscle inside the bigger muscle group.   Weird. I can flex it and feel exactly where the pain is.  Probably means my running form sucks.  On a plus note, some women saw me running and talked to me.  Not cat calling or anything but not like oh wow good for you trying to live longer or oh my God its a sweaty gross old fat guy either. One said she was jealous as though I was a runner and she wished she could do that. That felt nice like they don't know I am secretly a sweaty old fat guy who hates this. 

Juxtatarot said:
I'm leaning towards running the half marathon on Sunday that I previously signed up but thought I'd skip.  After having setbacks with my heel several times last week, it's been OK since Saturday.  I felt an itch in it the last few days when running but no pain.  It  even feels a little better when I pick up the pace.  I want to give it one last test with a bit of sub 6:00 running while wearing the shoes I race in.  I'll do that tomorrow and if all goes well I try to take it easy until Sunday.  It might not be totally smart to do this but in my mind the potential upside of a good race outweighs the downside of reaggravation.  

I've been wearing some recovery sandals I found in my closet and they may have helped.  I can't remember why I bought these.  Maybe someone in this thread mentioned them? :shrug:
And oddly, now I'm the one that's iffy for the Sunday HM.  I've had a weird hitch in my upper hammy/lower butt ...when I take off to start a run, the right leg almost collapses.  It doesn't really hurt a lot; it just doesn't want to provide the support. I can walk/slow jog it off, but I've shut things down for most of the past week to see if it settles down.  As a result, I'm unsure about running a HM on Sunday.  I think the cause might be a very big increase in elevation two weeks ago.  Maybe elevation should be increased incrementally, like mileage?  Anyway, I'll know more by Saturday.   

Love the story of the Cheshire Marathon pacer deciding at m17 to go for it..winning in 2:11 to qualify for Tokyo, while finishing his first ever marathon (apparently longest he's run previously was 19!). "Sod it"

Juxtatarot said:
I’m at a 20......and a little excited that I beat someone who regularly bangs out 30 min 5 mile runs.

Most all the time. All the time I'm home and a lot when I'm out too.

Currently driving girls to gymnastics and wearing them. Been in them most of the day.
I think I mentioned that I didn’t like them when I first bought them. I had a bit of plantar fasciitis (or something similar) that made wearing them hurt plus I felt I moved awkwardly in them.

But I’ve worn them quite a bit around the house since the heel injury. The plantar fasciitis isn’t much of an issue anymore and I’ve gotten used to their bounciness. I just have to lean into turns differently.

I have to say that I’ve done an 180 on these.  They’re quite comfortable. I hereby take back any negative feedback I may have given them.  In fact, I’d like to wear them to work. However, The CEO supports a conservative dress code and I’m already pushing it the last few weeks wearing running shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Juxtatarot said:
I think I mentioned that I didn’t like them when I first bought them. I had a bit of plantar fasciitis (or something similar) that made wearing them hurt plus I felt I moved awkwardly in them.

But I’ve worn them quite a bit around the house since the heel injury. The plantar fasciitis isn’t much of an issue anymore and I’ve gotten used to their bounciness. I just have to lean into turns differently.

I have to say that I’ve done an 180 on these.  They’re quite comfortable. I hereby take back any negative feedback I may have given them.  In fact, I’d like to wear them to work. However, The CEO supports a conservative dress code and I’m already pushing it the last few weeks wearing running shoes.
I wear clogs at work. I actually bought a pair of the Oofos clogs as I thought it would be amazing. Unfortunately, the top of the clogs were too tight and I can't get my foot all the way in so I had to return them. I even tried a large size but it doesn't change the opening.

So, I wish I could wear mine to work, but alas....

Juxtatarot said:

Well, you just made Yans day.

Week

Month

Year

Infinity

My post race runs this week have all been labored, slow and short. But the legs have been incrementally feeling better. Didn't have any workouts this week, just decided to run easy and get the legs back. 

This morning I forgot my keys :doh: , which meant I had to stretch my run longer until everybody at home was already up and somebody could let me into the building. If I rang our buzzer earlier, I'd be waking everybody up early (angry wife in the morning was not my goal). Gave me the excuse to go longer, and the legs were feeling decent.

I settled into a very comfortable cruising pace tailing a guy who had cut in a couple miles into my run. Nice to have somebody pacing me- wish my race had had that. After he cut out, the legs and breathing all still felt comfortable so I kept going at a quasi-tempo run. At the mile mark (6) I eased up and did a last cool down mile home. Felt good to open up a bit.

I was shocked, given the relative effort, to see that I had run a lot faster than I thought. Did 2m and 5k strava PRs. I think my legs work better on muscle memory and were remembering the race pace as a cruising pace. Makes me think I need to do more extended tempo runs where I've normally been doing intervals. Maybe also stretch out my uptempo segments on my long runs, where I'm usually pushing for 4m +/-. 

And the stretching yada yada.

Most months of the year, I prefer wearing socks at home and those Oofos are not very good with socks.  July will be here soon though!  

Users who are viewing this thread