What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

:jawdrop:    That's, like, more than 30% of the applications.  Wow.  You have to figure that pent up demand, then, will carry into 2022+.

As to your other comment about messing with stride length, cadence, foot strike:  I would disagree on the latter (foot strike) for sure.  Changing to a mid/forefoot strike many years ago had a very positive effect on my running.  An inefficient/ineffective foot strike is an element that should be fixed by many runners...along with that comes the issue of contact time as runners roll through from heel to toe.  I would speculate that a better foot strike will also naturally improve cadence due to the contact issue.  Improvement in stride length probably becomes a natural function of strength and flexibility rather than active alterations during the run. 
Will it carry over to 2022?  The September 2018-September 2019 qualifying timeframe rolls off for 2022 and is replaced by a limited number of races.  I think all things being considered, if you look at a more normal field size, fewer races, and fewer people being marathon ready due to COVID, I think the 7:47 buffer needed qualifying time will fall a minute or two for 2022.  Just a hunch.

Hey guys -- I adjusted the pushup sheet to now include May.  I wanted to keep myself accountable to keep doing some. I am definitely NOT doing 5000.  I don't even know what my number will be.  1500 maybe? 

So if you want to keep updating, feel free.  If not, that's totally cool too. 

If you weren't a part of it before but want to do some pushups, here's the link
Can you add a tab for planks? Maybe something like how long of a plank a guy held? I've been trying to do these every day but a spreadsheet would be nice for accountability. 

Hey guys -- I adjusted the pushup sheet to now include May.  I wanted to keep myself accountable to keep doing some. I am definitely NOT doing 5000.  I don't even know what my number will be.  1500 maybe? 

Can you add a tab for snacks? Maybe something like how long of a snack a guy held? I've been trying to eat these every day but a spreadsheet would be nice for accountability. 

Thanks, I started doing 10 push-ups before my morning run.

goodbye manboobs, hello pecks 💪

Got new shoes that were a half size larger.  They felt good, hopefully no more purple toenail. 

Got a watch. Samsung active2. I couldn't set it up before because it was trying to pair with my phone and won't pair with a tablet.  Holy crap does it ask you for a million permissions. But I got strava installed and Spotify and now I just need to figure out how to pair headphones to it so I can actually use it. 

The only thing strava is doing for me right now is telling me my heart rate and how long I ran.  If I understand correctly it can also give me some coaching advice or tell me to do intervals or something?  I know it can map my run too but I was on the treadmill tonight because it was raining. 

I installed the stuff to use the electrocardiogram feature.   Good news, I am not having a heart attack. Yet. It also warns you not to use it if you think you might be having a heart attack or show any symptoms of a heart attack. So... why would you ever use this?  To find out if you are having an asymptomatic heart attack?  Lawyers being lawyers.

Also it turns out I can use this to make phone calls if I carry my phone with me. Not sure if I can make calls from it without a phone if I get a separate Sim card. Thats what I really want, in case I ever do havethat heart attack while I'm our running and the watch won't tell me. 

Is there anything else i need to do with this thing?  Would be nice to get this all set up but I'm not totally sure what to do from here. 

Does anyone in here have a recommendation for running shoes?   When I started running about 8 years ago, I used to wear Mizunos (partly because they had awesome flashy colors, felt lightweight, etc) that didn't have big, jacked up, super thick soles.   But then Mizuno changed their footbed, so I switched to Nike.   Some variety of Downshifter and Flex Experience or something like that.  But now Nike seems to be changing.

For whatever reason, big thick soled running shoes screw up my gait.  And then give me knee problems.  I went to a running shoe store years ago, and they steered me toward these big clunky shoes with jacked up soles.   It was horrible.  

This group - despite being full of some of the most absurd discussion around - has forgotten more about running than I will ever know.  Any advice?  How should I approach a decision that was......frankly very random early on, and then trial & error later.

Got new shoes that were a half size larger.  They felt good, hopefully no more purple toenail. 

Got a watch. Samsung active2. I couldn't set it up before because it was trying to pair with my phone and won't pair with a tablet.  Holy crap does it ask you for a million permissions. But I got strava installed and Spotify and now I just need to figure out how to pair headphones to it so I can actually use it. 

The only thing strava is doing for me right now is telling me my heart rate and how long I ran.  If I understand correctly it can also give me some coaching advice or tell me to do intervals or something?  I know it can map my run too but I was on the treadmill tonight because it was raining. 

I installed the stuff to use the electrocardiogram feature.   Good news, I am not having a heart attack. Yet. It also warns you not to use it if you think you might be having a heart attack or show any symptoms of a heart attack. So... why would you ever use this?  To find out if you are having an asymptomatic heart attack?  Lawyers being lawyers.

Also it turns out I can use this to make phone calls if I carry my phone with me. Not sure if I can make calls from it without a phone if I get a separate Sim card. Thats what I really want, in case I ever do havethat heart attack while I'm our running and the watch won't tell me. 

Is there anything else i need to do with this thing?  Would be nice to get this all set up but I'm not totally sure what to do from here. 
I love how quickly you are embracing this.  I've always struggled with change, technology adoption, etc.   It's great to have you around as a role model.

Does anyone in here have a recommendation for running shoes?   When I started running about 8 years ago, I used to wear Mizunos (partly because they had awesome flashy colors, felt lightweight, etc) that didn't have big, jacked up, super thick soles.   But then Mizuno changed their footbed, so I switched to Nike.   Some variety of Downshifter and Flex Experience or something like that.  But now Nike seems to be changing.

For whatever reason, big thick soled running shoes screw up my gait.  And then give me knee problems.  I went to a running shoe store years ago, and they steered me toward these big clunky shoes with jacked up soles.   It was horrible.  

This group - despite being full of some of the most absurd discussion around - has forgotten more about running than I will ever know.  Any advice?  How should I approach a decision that was......frankly very random early on, and then trial & error later.
Probably best to go back to the store and try a bunch on. 

Running warehouse has a stack height guide that could steer you to a few.

Go to a store that specializes in running and ask them to recommend a shoe.  They should watch you run in your socks and be able to tell you if you pronate or supinate and recommend shoes or inserts with the right kind of support to keep that from causing trouble. Tell them that you prefer shoes with less cushion or whatever else.  

Nobody here knows about every shoe at the shoe store.  The good runners probably know about a few shoes they've tried that work for them and why they prefer one to another but once you find shoes that are great for you it's tough to switch. Usually people only switch when the company stops selling the shoes they liked, so when you find a great pair of shoes a lot of people will buy extra pairs so they don't have that problem in the future. 

I dont know anything about Mizunos except their sweet forged irons when I used to golf. Anyway the traits you liked then (amount of cushion, stability, weight, drop, upper etc) are in other brands and an aggregate site like runningwarehouse will show you those specs about various shoes and most sites have a shoe finder that will help guide you too.  Look up the specs on your old favs and find them in today’s offerings. Prob will be a bit lighter. 

Thanks for the advice all.   I'm definitely not going back to the same running store as before, but will find and try a different one.

@tri-man 47 (or anyone else in Chicago):  any specific places you recommend in Chicagoland?

Unlike @bostonfredI'm not a big fan of change in my routine....

Thanks for the advice all.   I'm definitely not going back to the same running store as before, but will find and try a different one.

@tri-man 47 (or anyone else in Chicago):  any specific places you recommend in Chicagoland?
Check out Commonwealth Running Company in Evanston!  I read an article (not the linked one) about them some time back and considered making a trip there just to support them during the pandemic.  

The comment I'd make about the 'big thick soled running shoes' is that those types of shoes often have a big "drop" of 12 mm.  That almost encourages a bad form heel strike.  I prefer 4 to 8 mm drops (difference between heel and toe).  Also, a lighter shoe is easier to lift and plant with a good foot strike.  

23K+ was the number of applicants. They only accepted 14K+.
Oh, snap!  That's an acceptance rate of just over 60%.  Dang.  But, yeah, that fits the scenario of 20,000 runners.  14K plus charity plus sponsor slots.

Quite the competitive field this year.

tri-man 47 said:
Check out Commonwealth Running Company in Evanston!  I read an article (not the linked one) about them some time back and considered making a trip there just to support them during the pandemic.  

The comment I'd make about the 'big thick soled running shoes' is that those types of shoes often have a big "drop" of 12 mm.  That almost encourages a bad form heel strike.  I prefer 4 to 8 mm drops (difference between heel and toe).  Also, a lighter shoe is easier to lift and plant with a good foot strike.  
Thx, will check it out this weekend!   And what you described is exactly why I don't like those big soles - but didn't realize it until a few years ago after some moron at another shoe place steered me toward the wrong shoes.

Thx, will check it out this weekend!   And what you described is exactly why I don't like those big soles - but didn't realize it until a few years ago after some moron at another shoe place steered me toward the wrong shoes.
Fwiw "big soled shoes" have a range of drops. My Hoka Clifton 7s are 5mm. I'm a big fan of these as an every day trainer.

Thanks for all of the input on doing workouts with Garmin. Set up a workout on my laptop (0.5 mile warmup then 4 reps of run for 0.5 mile with 0.25 recovery and finished with 0.5 mile cooldown). Felt good to run faster again. I am 26 pounds lighter than this time last year but had not run fast in well over a year. I love I can see all the details on the Garmin connect app and can start tweaking time and distance. Thanks again. This group rocks.

I was all excited to see my own Garmin intervals today...but plugged the watch into my laptop, which was in sleep mode and didn't charge it. 

Stupid watch.

Fwiw "big soled shoes" have a range of drops. My Hoka Clifton 7s are 5mm. I'm a big fan of these as an every day trainer.
I was about to say the same thing.  The big soled Hokas have sold me as a running shoe.  I wouldn't want to walk around town, I didn't even like walking around in the store.  But once I stepped outside and  I ran in them, they were fabulous.  They aren't a racing shoe, but they are great for lots of training miles.

They often feel like that no man’s land effort between easy and tempo that they tell us not to train at. But I like that feeling so that’s what I do.
Something that's been floating around in the back of my head for a while now - is no man's land an okay place to be when not in a training cycle? Recovery is a priority when actually training, but once this level of volume becomes normal does offseason recovery become less important.

Something that's been floating around in the back of my head for a while now - is no man's land an okay place to be when not in a training cycle? Recovery is a priority when actually training, but once this level of volume becomes normal does offseason recovery become less important.
Yes, I’ve thought about the same thing. 

That's partly why I asked.

When I had taken time off after Minocqua and then decided to train for Mesa and had limited time, you guys suggested pushing the paces to start in that same gray area in the hopes it would get me up to speed faster. And I think it definitely did. So I think there might be something to this idea. 

I've been talking about my "cruising pace", where I'm letting the legs and cardio go, but not pushing into labored breathing. I think it's what Juxt is talking about. I like going at that pace- not easy, but not painful. I suppose that's bad in context of recovery (although I try to slow my recovery runs below that threshold) or training (I typically use it on long runs before I pick things up a few miles), but it's emotionally rewarding so...bleh.

With the new watch (properly charged), I'm looking forward to seeing what that cruising pace means for my HR...and seeing what all of it means for my HR tbh, to use to improve my training. The first run on the watch was recovery for me at 116avg...I'll see what my long run looks like this weekend.

Also, @xulf, haven't seen you in a little bit in here.  But you're really stacking on the miles lately.  Two weeks over 40 followed by 3 weeks in the 50's.  Forgot, you training for something?

With the new watch (properly charged), I'm looking forward to seeing what that cruising pace means for my HR...and seeing what all of it means for my HR tbh, to use to improve my training. The first run on the watch was recovery for me at 116avg...I'll see what my long run looks like this weekend.
116?! Wow! Look at this guy!

No.

Looking at Hanson's calculator, based on his recent HM, it's showing a 2:45:45 (6:19 pace) equivalency. 

I know those calculators aren't fully accurate, but geez.....
One of my all-time favorite quotes:  "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark."

Users who are viewing this thread