What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

One of my all-time favorite quotes:  "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark."
Love the quote as well, but repeated failure would be the fast track to quitting -- at least for me.

Over my running career, I have probably set all my goals too low.  Except for 2,500mi in 2020.  That was hard.

But for races, I've pretty much beaten all of my day-of goals.  That feeling is what helps to keep me going.  I hate to be that kid with the participation medal, but I have enough experience now to know that positive reinforcement is a big motivator for me.  So I try to harness that, even if it's my own inner voice providing said reinforcement.

That said, I hope to attempt a 100K sometime this year.  Not because I think I can do it, but mostly because I want to see where I fail.  Try to know my limits.  So, in that sense, at least once I'm setting an unrealistic (or very challenging) goal for myself.

One of my all-time favorite quotes:  "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark."
I can honestly say that I have never finished a race and thought “that wasn’t that hard, I should have gone faster.”

But perhaps the way to look at it is the work one puts in before the race. To that end, the question is how much time and effort do we want to put into this? How important are race times? It’s easier for me than most of you with little kids but it’s still a lot.  My sense though is I’ll likely regret not doing more now when I eventually get older and am physically unable to improve. That motivates me.

But perhaps the way to look at it is the work one puts in before the race. To that end, the question is how much time and effort do we want to put into this? How important are race times?
Man, you just hit it on the head for me.

In my heart, I KNOW I could get faster if I put in the work. Especially in the time between races. But that means I have to choose running over things I REALLY love:

Going fishing, hanging out and watching a ball game with the neighbors, going to the kids practices and sporting events, going on vacation from time to time....

For me to be great at this, I've got to find more time. And I just don't love it enough I guess to go there. But there is still that small part of me that wants to for the same reasons as you: while I still can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say that I have never finished a race and thought “that wasn’t that hard, I should have gone faster.”
Whoops, sorry, "not walking" during any section of my 2nd marathon was definitely the hardest running thing I have done.  Even more than 2,500mi in 2020.  Every ounce of my body wanted to walk during the last 8K of that race.

So, going-in, I didn't think it was going to be a tough goal.  But it turned-out to be the hardest.

Kind of a lame goal compared to those of the #BMFs here, but I know where I was mentally for those 8K, and proud of my ability to keep myself running.  I still remember that pain.

So why shouldn't one of them be you?  Time to put your balls on the table and go for sub-2:45 or something.
Further, I think you should look into getting a coach.  You're at that level where I think it would be worth the relatively minor expense. I'd recommend mine.

Further, I think you should look into getting a coach.  You're at that level where I think it would be worth the relatively minor expense. I'd recommend mine.
Thanks, I’ll think about it. I’ve done well doing my own thing though so I have some reluctance to change too much. Although I know I don’t do things the way I am supposed to. 

This is the first time I’ve mentioned this to anyone but I’ve also thought about quitting my job if I got much better to seriously train as a #1 priority but I’m getting ahead of myself now.

I hit 116 when I walk to the bathroom. 
You can 'go' faster than that.

--

And I'd say don't sweat the fact that your strongest priorities are not running right now.  In several years, when you can make the appropriate commitment, you can then be the best you can be at that age.  I've wondered at times what I might have been able to do in a marathon if I had made the attempt 25-30 years ago.  But I don't dwell on it because I know that my focus was elsewhere ...no regrets about it.  The beauty of the AGs is you always can challenge yourself against your peers.  For now, you're living a good life.  Keep enjoying it!

Thanks, I’ll think about it. I’ve done well doing my own thing though so I have some reluctance to change too much. Although I know I don’t do things the way I am supposed to. 

This is the first time I’ve mentioned this to anyone but I’ve also thought about quitting my job if I got much better to seriously train as a #1 priority but I’m getting ahead of myself now.
I'm thinking about quitting my job too.

Different reasons, probably.

Also, @xulf, haven't seen you in a little bit in here.  But you're really stacking on the miles lately.  Two weeks over 40 followed by 3 weeks in the 50's.  Forgot, you training for something?
I'm wanting to pop the full marathon cherry this year so I've upped the mileage to get used to a bigger load.  I dont have a plan yet for training and need to figure that out.  

Do you all recommend Hanson or something else?  I'm likely looking at an October race.

Also, after a totally F'ed up 5 months at my work, I put in my letter of resignation after 15.5 years (last day is 5/31).  No plans at the moment and may just take the summer off, go to the pool with the family, run and workout, and let my wife be a sugar momma for a bit  :towelwave: (I of course have her approval)

I don't know if I can see you taking well to a coach telling you how to train *.  That said, if you were looking to up your game, I think that an emphasis needs to be placed on the mental aspects.  You mentioned in your recent HM that you thought about quitting at mile 8.  I know you've dropped out of some races in recent years.  That part worries me more than the physical training ...developing the Shalane "going to f### s### up attitude."

* You've got a track virtually across the street from you (not that you ever use it!).  You're in a rolling hills neighborhood and have access to decent hills.  You have training routes in every direction. You're accustomed to steady and big mileage.  Upping your training wouldn't call for too much.  

Skipped yesterday's recovery run because of my cold.

Planned on going 13-15 this morning, but as soon as I settled into my cruising pace, m3 or so, I knew I needed to shut it down. Breathing was a mucusy disaster and I just felt like ####. Cut it short into my usual two bridge run of 6.5ish.

First time running without the phone though. It was strange seeing some really odd pace on the phone at times...12+. I know I was running off today, but not that off. Also interesting to see the HR, which I fully expected to be spiking due to the breathing issues.maybe that was off too (lower than expected). But other than a couple moments where I'd usually snap a picture, it was nice not holding it.

Tomorrow is my wife’s first Mother’s Day, so I moved my schedule up a day so I won’t have to run. Did my long run yesterday (12-mile progression), so all I’ve got today is an easy 8. Not really much else going on today, so I’m not in a rush to get out there.

Still fighting the hammy/glute issue, so generally laying low for a few weeks.  I'll be losing some fitness, but my more focused training wasn't going to start until June anyway.

Tomorrow is my wife’s first Mother’s Day, so I moved my schedule up a day so I won’t have to run. Did my long run yesterday (12-mile progression), so all I’ve got today is an easy 8. Not really much else going on today, so I’m not in a rush to get out there.
I did my long one yesterday too. Baseball and track this morning. Baseball this afternoon. Chicago beef & beers (WITH NO KIDS!!!) tonight. Just need to muster up the energy for an easy 45 minutes sometime in between sports today then off tomorrow. 

At least I'm avoiding the greater danger then.  I can honestly say I have never hit my A goal for a race  :unsure:

Skipped yesterday's recovery run because of my cold.

Planned on going 13-15 this morning, but as soon as I settled into my cruising pace, m3 or so, I knew I needed to shut it down. Breathing was a mucusy disaster and I just felt like ####. Cut it short into my usual two bridge run of 6.5ish.

First time running without the phone though. It was strange seeing some really odd pace on the phone at times...12+. I know I was running off today, but not that off. Also interesting to see the HR, which I fully expected to be spiking due to the breathing issues.maybe that was off too (lower than expected). But other than a couple moments where I'd usually snap a picture, it was nice not holding it.
Your watch says you averaged 123 HR at 8:32 pace.  That doesn't seem right from the description you give even with effects of a cold.  Also, your HR didn't seem to go up much when going over the bridge either time like one might expect.  Are you wearing the watch tight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Running adjacent activities for me as a laze off a productive golf and beer day yesterday. 
*Waitlisted myself for a Feb2022 50k  (flat MD trail variety, no vert boner, sorry ultra guys)
*Bought shoes - New Balance rebel 2s
*Discussed marathon plan with dog (aka coach)

So, uh...what should my GMP be?  

It looks like on Hansons plan you never run more 16 miles for a long run.  How do you make it / be prepared for the other 10+  :oldunsure:

Your watch says you averaged 123 HR at 8:32 pace.  That doesn't seem right from the description you give even with effects of a cold.  Also, your HR didn't seem to go up much when going over the bridge either time like one might expect.  Are you wearing the watch tight?
:shrug:  No idea about how well I'm wearing the watch. Feels snug, but not too...isn't slipping around on my wrist. I have the 45- maybe it's not as accurate?

I vaguely recall racing in the 140-60 range in my tri days wearing my Polar with chest strap, so 120-30s sounds about right for non SoS run. But like you said, it should be escalating on the climbs (I think it did, but not much), so maybe something's off. I'll wear it tighter tomorrow and see what happens.

It looks like on Hansons plan you never run more 16 miles for a long run.  How do you make it / be prepared for the other 10+  :oldunsure:
I'm going to come at this from a different perspective than most others here having just done my first one a few months ago, watching my wife do Hanson's (whereas I didn't but I'm doing it now).

-- First, get and read Hanson's Marathon Method. A couple here recommended it and I agree it's worth the read. Even if you don't end up doing Hanson's.

-- Use their calculator (Luke Humphrey race equivalent) to get an idea of what you can do. Compare to a few others. Use your HM as a guide but understand that none of them are perfect and, especially so for your first one.

-- Even though the longest run is 16 miles, do a 20 mile run once. It's the one thing my wife wishes she would have done going into it. The premise of Hanson's is cumulative fatigue and so they say it's not necessary, but there's something about the mental aspect on top of what it feels like.

-- Be very, very conservative. It's not a joke. I would use the calculator to train at those paces but understand raceday may not work out as fast.

-- The MOST important thing to practice is your fueling/hydration. This is probably what I learned the most. 

In the end, you are a good enough runner and doing enough volume that you can and will do well. Practice the fuel/hydration, get the miles in, get a long long run in, and be mindful/respectful of the distance and you'll do great.

Calc says you can run a 3:30 marathon (8:02 pace).

If you are in the same shape as you were for Chief's HM, then use that as your goal pace and see how things go. You can always adjust.

As you'll read, do NOT overdo the paces, especially early in even though you feel good. 

Now, the rest of these guys that have run far more and closer to your paces than me can give you a lot more and better advice overall. I'm coming at it from the newbie angle as I was in your same spot just a few months ago.

Fwiw, in optimal shape, I might be able to work a 3:45 if I had a good base and consistent training. I don't and I'm not, so I'm shooting for 9:00 pacing which is a little under 4 hrs. And even this won't be easy and is no guarantee but it's much more suited to where I'm at now.

:shrug:  No idea about how well I'm wearing the watch. Feels snug, but not too...isn't slipping around on my wrist. I have the 45- maybe it's not as accurate?

I vaguely recall racing in the 140-60 range in my tri days wearing my Polar with chest strap, so 120-30s sounds about right for non SoS run. But like you said, it should be escalating on the climbs (I think it did, but not much), so maybe something's off. I'll wear it tighter tomorrow and see what happens.
Maybe it’s right.  Great if it is!

Everything @gianmarco said is great. I would listen carefully to the point about race day being different. Assuming this is your first marathon, my advice would be to start out slow. Whatever you GMP is, add 20-30 seconds for the first 3-5 miles. Ease into your GMP. Don’t worry about leaving time on the course. I don’t think that’s possible in a marathon. Like @gianmarco, I am no where near as knowledgeable or experienced as some in here. You are so talented, I’m excited to see what you can do.

Yan nailed it. Use a race equivalent chart to get started and you can refine +/- after the first chunk before the MP runs get longer. The book is very helpful. Having used it a few times, I’d advise to be conservative on the speed paces, I ran them too hard and think 10k ish pace for those is better for me than 5k ish.  The long run of 16 miles is a guideline that can be misinterpreted. It’s a combination of time/miles that they recommend not exceeding as it can overly detrimental to recovery for some.

Happy to help along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread