What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

So, radiology services all have radiologists that look at all studies. The only way it wasn't is if your orthopedic center has their own equipment that is run by them which is almost assuredly not the case. I'm sure your radiologist bill is forthcoming :)

Also, your PA should still have oversight by the attending orthopedic physician, but how much I couldn't say. 

All that said, you aren't hurting anyone's feelings by calling and asking. I'd say that's better than a wife who has doubts. 
I got the xray at the sports med clinic, minutes before seeing the PA at said clinic.  If there was a radiologist in the mix, it was behind the scenes and very much on-demand.

What I didn't put in my post is that I got the MRI anyway since insurance would pay for it.  I got my hips/butt scanned as well.

That was a long 2 hours in the tube!

Your answer tells me though that it's likely a radiologist will look at the MRI and interpret the results (since the MRI was done at an offsite imaging center).  And not just my PA.

Regardless, I'll ask when I chat with him today.  Thanks.

These are all good options, I am interested in hearing how you plan on approaching the time period between now and the start of official marathon training (July 5 for a 18 week or 8/16 for 12 a week plan).  Considering you are on fire right now, when do you plan on backing off a bit before the marathon buildup?  
I don't know exactly.  I am going to Arizona for a vacation the first week of June.  I'm sure I'll run some and we'll do some hiking (including the Grand Canyon) but I'm sure the mileage will be less.  But, yes, I was thinking about starting training officially in early July.   Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise I assume I'll mostly just do what I have been doing until then.  My body seems OK with 50 mile weeks.  I don't want to take off for any considerable about of time.  

I know you have a relay race this fall but have you decided on any other races?  

I got the xray at the sports med clinic, minutes before seeing the PA at said clinic.  If there was a radiologist in the mix, it was behind the scenes and very much on-demand.

What I didn't put in my post is that I got the MRI anyway since insurance would pay for it.  I got my hips/butt scanned as well.

That was a long 2 hours in the tube!

Your answer tells me though that it's likely a radiologist will look at the MRI and interpret the results (since the MRI was done at an offsite imaging center).  And not just my PA.

Regardless, I'll ask when I chat with him today.  Thanks.
Good on the above.

And no, it's likely the radiologist did not review it before you were seen by the PA. The PA looked at it and told you their interpretation (which may have been together with the attending if they were around). The radiologist will read it anytime from then until the next day depending on their workflow and how busy they are. If there's a discrepancy, the PA will call you back and say "hey, our radiologist saw something else,...."

And the MRI is 100% going to be read by a radiologist. No orthopedic service would take on the liability of misreading an MRI.

Unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise I assume I'll mostly just do what I have been doing until then.  My body seems OK with 50 mile weeks.  I don't want to take off for any considerable about of time.
I get not wanting to take time off, but as you know 18 weeks is a long cycle. You might want to consider 2-3 weeks of lesser mileage with one easier workout a week to stay sharp between now and marathon training. It is tough to be On or in PR shape for an entire calendar year.

I know you have a relay race this fall but have you decided on any other races?  
I have Monumental penciled in, but I don't want to make any additional financial commitments until my kitchen remodel is complete, scheduled for the end of June. They moved Broad Street to October but haven't decided on a date, hopefully it won't be the same weekend as the Bourbon Chase. I hope to start marathon training 7/5, but I am still not quite 100% healthy yet.  

I get not wanting to take time off, but as you know 18 weeks is a long cycle. You might want to consider 2-3 weeks of lesser mileage with one easier workout a week to stay sharp between now and marathon training. It is tough to be On or in PR shape for an entire calendar year.

I have Monumental penciled in, but I don't want to make any additional financial commitments until my kitchen remodel is complete, scheduled for the end of June. They moved Broad Street to October but haven't decided on a date, hopefully it won't be the same weekend as the Bourbon Chase. I hope to start marathon training 7/5, but I am still not quite 100% healthy yet.  
That would be awesome if you ran Monumental too. 

At age 73, "ultra-geezer" Gene Dykes just competed in the new, 250 mile Cocodona race in Arizona.  He made it through 152 miles over 73+ hours and with 25,000 feet of elevation.  He stated (on Strava) that over those three days and nights, he got in about five hours of nap time.     :tebow:

At age 73, "ultra-geezer" Gene Dykes just competed in the new, 250 mile Cocodona race in Arizona.  He made it through 152 miles over 73+ hours and with 25,000 feet of elevation.  He stated (on Strava) that over those three days and nights, he got in about five hours of nap time.     :tebow:
I know. That's a crazy amount of nap time. 

Ok, so here's the deal:  a few years ago I did my one & only marathon.  Followed a Higdon training plan.  Put in the work.   Got really sick two days before the race, and also made the bad decision to walk about 13-15 miles (on vacation in DC with family) in the 36 hours leading up to the race.   Finished the marathon but really blew my goal.  It was a huge disappointment, even though I finished.

While I kept running in the couple of years since, until last year's virtual team relay stuff, I had minimal desire to sign up for anything.   And definitely not another marathon.   But........starting with the virtual relays, I've been thinking about signing up for one this year.    Debated doing Twin Cities in October but A) Minnesota is being super conservative about COVID, not sure if they will still hold the race, B) lots of people in here are signing up for Indy.....

Anyway.  Just putting it out there because it will motivate me to keep running and maybe will get me to actually sign up.  

Ok, so here's the deal:  a few years ago I did my one & only marathon.  Followed a Higdon training plan.  Put in the work.   Got really sick two days before the race, and also made the bad decision to walk about 13-15 miles (on vacation in DC with family) in the 36 hours leading up to the race.   Finished the marathon but really blew my goal.  It was a huge disappointment, even though I finished.

While I kept running in the couple of years since, until last year's virtual team relay stuff, I had minimal desire to sign up for anything.   And definitely not another marathon.   But........starting with the virtual relays, I've been thinking about signing up for one this year.    Debated doing Twin Cities in October but A) Minnesota is being super conservative about COVID, not sure if they will still hold the race, B) lots of people in here are signing up for Indy.....

Anyway.  Just putting it out there because it will motivate me to keep running and maybe will get me to actually sign up.  
Just sign up for Monumental and join the party. 

How's your kitchen?

I'll likely register tomorrow.  Already have the hotel booked.

Would just like to hear back from my DrPA about my leg first.

MRI results back.  Not a stress fracture.

Just registered for Monumental.  Going to be fun to run with you guys, even if I just stare at your asses for a few minutes and then lose you to your #BMF paces.  And meet you for beer after.  

Now I need to try to knock out a 1:38 HM to get in the first corral!

ETA:  Updated the FBG race sheet as well.  How do we get it to default to 2021?

Last edited by a moderator:
MRI results back.  Not a stress fracture.

Just registered for Monumental.  Going to be fun to run with you guys, even if I just stare at your asses for a few minutes and then lose you to your #BMF paces.  And meet you for beer after.  

Now I need to try to knock out a 1:38 HM to get in the first corral!

ETA:  Updated the FBG race sheet as well.  How do we get it to default to 2021?
Yeah, but what did the radiologist say?

Yeah, but what did the radiologist say?
Well, I heard from the PA.  So assuming the PA was speaking for the radiologist, the radiologist said it was shin splints ("perostitis").  Which is odd, because, A) my pain isn't really in my shins, it's on the inside of my leg/calf; and B) I always hear about shin splints for new runners, and I've been running for long enough to not really be "new" anymore.

But most importantly, it's not a stress fracture.  So I can run again!!!  PA said as long as there's pain I should avoid impact, but I'm going to try to just manage it.  

For my glutes, they found no issues with my hips, and the PA recommended "injections".  Not sure if that should be assumed to be steroids or pain meds or both.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread