What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Well, I heard from the PA.  So assuming the PA was speaking for the radiologist, the radiologist said it was shin splints ("perostitis").  Which is odd, because, A) my pain isn't really in my shins, it's on the inside of my leg/calf; and B) I always hear about shin splints for new runners, and I've been running for long enough to not really be "new" anymore.

But most importantly, it's not a stress fracture.  So I can run again!!!  PA said as long as there's pain I should avoid impact, but I'm going to try to just manage it.  

For my glutes, they found no issues with my hips, and the PA recommended "injections".  Not sure if that should be assumed to be steroids or pain meds or both.  
Dr. Juxt says to work on strengthening and stretching. Calves, upper legs and core. Seriously.

Drive 8hrs Friday to pick up race packet by 8pm, run first marathon Saturday morning, immediately hop in car and drive 8 hours home to make sure I don’t miss kids swim meet Sunday morning.

Automatic PR since it’s my first marathon 

seems possible 
I did a 5 hour drive home after my first marathon.  It wasn't a particularly enjoyable trip, but I got it done.  Plan on 8 1/2 since you'll want to stop and semi-stretch.  Thank God for cruise control.

I hear there's a popular late-fall marathon in Indianapolis.  What could be more enjoyable than a trip to Indy in November?  You scoff, and while you'll spend next week swearing off marathons forever, by the week after you'll be identifying areas of possible improvement for the next one ...

Drive 8hrs Friday to pick up race packet by 8pm, run first marathon Saturday morning, immediately hop in car and drive 8 hours home to make sure I don’t miss kids swim meet Sunday morning.

Automatic PR since it’s my first marathon 

seems possible 
Unfortunately you'd miss the best part of the whole thing....the drinking on Saturday night.   :banned:

I drove back to the city 5+ hours from Lake Placid the day after my one and only IM. Had scheduled a massage first thing in the am before I left...that saved me.

Had to be in the office at 4am this morning to do back-to-back 401(k) education meetings for some 3rd-shift workers, which meant an absurdly early 2:30am alarm.  How guys like @Zasadaare up every day exercising at 3:30-4am is beyond me.  I feel like I'm going to fall asleep, and I still need to go run 9 miles and some strides.  Definitely cutting out of work super early...

Had to be in the office at 4am this morning to do back-to-back 401(k) education meetings for some 3rd-shift workers, which meant an absurdly early 2:30am alarm.  How guys like @Zasadaare up every day exercising at 3:30-4am is beyond me.  I feel like I'm going to fall asleep, and I still need to go run 9 miles and some strides.  Definitely cutting out of work super early...
I'm not a super early guy, but I love getting up and out there and having my workout behind me for the day. As I've aged, my body is happier in the am than it is after a day of work sitting at a computer or standing at a job site.

Tues is my hill repeat day...hr tends to spike on that, so it will be a good further test. It'll settle in too over the coming weeks- am interested in seeing what it does on my normal/non-sick long weekend runs of 13-16.
After a light mileage weekend due to the cold, the legs had a little giddyup for my bridge repeats this am. Averaged quicker than usual, which hopefully pushed the HR a bit.

Definitely spiked at the end...tipped into the 160s briefly on my last push back over the bridge after my repeats without any rest from the last repeat (finally got a segment below 6:00...if at least on a downhill). And I could see the numbers go up and down on the Garmin app corresponding to the repeat and recovery..so I'm pretty certain it's on track.

I'm in bed usually around 7:30pm most nights.  That's how I do it.  

Not an option for most people who lead normal lives, I know.

But to @El Floppo's point, having my run behind me before I even gets to the office is a big stress-reliever.  Doesn't hang over me for the whole day.

First intervals with the watch...nice to see actual splits and not have interpret it.

But I've been sleeping horribly the last couple nights. Work stress and the wife caught my cold and is snoring like a Mack truck. I could really feel it out there...and the numbers reflect it. Still great to have that data.

Ok...I'll show mine.

5"

The most similar to soccer style shorts, so that length was always comfortable to me. But lately, they feel a little long...been thinking about trying 3".

OK RunningFoodGuys, need some help.

For the next two months (hopefully more), I'm going to try to improve my diet.  I've been adding some muscle weight lately, but unfortunately also some belly weight (eating like you're running, and not running, is a bad mix).  Want to lose the latter without losing the former.

But I need some tips on foods that are healthy and easy to make.  My wife is vegetarian, and I lean that way as well.  I haven't totally eliminated meat, but most nights I'll just eat what she does, which obviously doesn't involve meat.

My typical routine coming home from work, is that I'll make dinner for both of us, eat it, and then go to bed.  So I don't want to spend 30 minutes cooking dinner every night, and I know that limits my options.

We eat Boca Burgers and Light Life dogs at least twice a week.  Yes, they're meatless.  But are they actually healthy foods?  

I'm a big fan of brown rice (I know there are fans here, as well).  So that feels like an easy one.  I can make a heap of that in my rice cooker and it can last me all week.

I've gone cold-turkey on sugar frequently in the past, only to have it creep back into my diet.  I'll try to get back on that wagon.  That's an obvious one.

And for you "carbs are evil" guys, a low/no-carb diet will make me want to eat a bullet.  So let's not do that.

For breakfast most mornings (which I used to skip entirely), I now have a Dannon Greek Light & Fit Yogurt, mixed with some Bear Naked Reduced Sugar Granola.  Yay or nay on that?

I am back to skipping lunch again, but open to the idea of my usual standard, a couple scoops of Impact Whey Brownie-flavoured Protein Powder.

What's the feeling about eggs?  Sometimes, I'll mix ~8 eggs with some pickled jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes, fry it all up, and eat wrapped with some Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (we like these because they are low(er)-calorie and stay fresh for a while).

Any tips?  

OK RunningFoodGuys, need some help.

For the next two months (hopefully more), I'm going to try to improve my diet.  I've been adding some muscle weight lately, but unfortunately also some belly weight (eating like you're running, and not running, is a bad mix).  Want to lose the latter without losing the former.

But I need some tips on foods that are healthy and easy to make.  My wife is vegetarian, and I lean that way as well.  I haven't totally eliminated meat, but most nights I'll just eat what she does, which obviously doesn't involve meat.

My typical routine coming home from work, is that I'll make dinner for both of us, eat it, and then go to bed.  So I don't want to spend 30 minutes cooking dinner every night, and I know that limits my options.

We eat Boca Burgers and Light Life dogs at least twice a week.  Yes, they're meatless.  But are they actually healthy foods?  

I'm a big fan of brown rice (I know there are fans here, as well).  So that feels like an easy one.  I can make a heap of that in my rice cooker and it can last me all week.

I've gone cold-turkey on sugar frequently in the past, only to have it creep back into my diet.  I'll try to get back on that wagon.  That's an obvious one.

And for you "carbs are evil" guys, a low/no-carb diet will make me want to eat a bullet.  So let's not do that.

For breakfast most mornings (which I used to skip entirely), I now have a Dannon Greek Light & Fit Yogurt, mixed with some Bear Naked Reduced Sugar Granola.  Yay or nay on that?

I am back to skipping lunch again, but open to the idea of my usual standard, a couple scoops of Impact Whey Brownie-flavoured Protein Powder.

What's the feeling about eggs?  Sometimes, I'll mix ~8 eggs with some pickled jalapenos, onions, and tomatoes, fry it all up, and eat wrapped with some Mission Carb Balance Tortillas (we like these because they are low(er)-calorie and stay fresh for a while).

Any tips?  
You probably eat better than all of us.  :lol:

You probably eat better than all of us.  :lol:
Well I left out the dozen Oreos I'll eat after dinner, or the big bag of Doritos.  Not eating those is pretty obvious.  Didn't feel like I needed advice on that part!

Maybe it's just as simple as cutting that #### out.  But I know @Juxtatarot has been eating better (if my notebook is accurate) and given his #BMFery of late, I thought maybe I could borrow some of his (and others') wisdom.

Well I left out the dozen Oreos I'll eat after dinner, or the big bag of Doritos.  Not eating those is pretty obvious.  Didn't feel like I needed advice on that part!

Maybe it's just as simple as cutting that #### out.  But I know @Juxtatarot has been eating better (if my notebook is accurate) and given his #BMFery of late, I thought maybe I could borrow some of his (and others') wisdom.
You didn't mention any fruit or vegetables...?

I'm not great with all of this,but I managed to plateau when I was sedentary, based on the what I ate (I think).

Breakfast- plain, no fat Greek yogurt with a bit of granola and fruit (banana, blueberries or raspberries), coffee.

Snack (10-11)- banana followed by handful of Omega-3 nut mix.

Lunch- mixed salad with protein (from local salad spots)

Snack (3-4) apple or mandarin/kiwi followed by more Omega-3 nuts and coffee.

Dinner- pretty much anything from pasta to pizza to salad, with a protein (fish or foul for us)

Desert- cookie, ice cream, sumin -sumin but by 9...2+ hours before bed.

You didn't mention any fruit or vegetables...?
Yeah, I stay away from fruit (fructose).  Vegetables, I will put tomatoes and lettuce on my burgers.  Canned refried beans on my soft tacos (along with brown rice, canned green chiles, onions, and some brown rice).

Definitely could improve in the vegetable department.  Problem is that they frequently go bad before I get around to eating them, and there aren't many that I honestly enjoy.

@Zasada

*General guidelines - maximize the amount of food consumed on the outer rim of the grocery store 

*Offseason priorities - healthy eating > rigid healthy eating when I know it won't be a healthy night (beers) > limit calories

*Training priorities - sufficient (but not excessive) calories > foods that won't irritate the GI > healthy eating > restrict beer nights (especially the last 6-8 weeks)

*2 suggested priorities - #1 fruit & veggies, especially since you don't have much meat in your diet (eggs are great) #2 food prep Sunday's, we also loathe cooking during the week for a lot of reasons so we do as much food prep as we can on Sunday.

---

I'm sure I could suggest more, but I've found overwhelming a relatively healthy person with suggested changes is generally counter productive so start off with those 2 things then add on to it as you go.

Yeah, I stay away from fruit (fructose).  Vegetables, I will put tomatoes and lettuce on my burgers.  Canned refried beans on my soft tacos (along with brown rice, canned green chiles, onions, and some brown rice).
I'm not sure I understand the aversion to fresh fruit.

How about straight black or pinto beans instead of refried?

I'm not sure I understand the aversion to fresh fruit.

How about straight black or pinto beans instead of refried?
Just trying to limit sugar/fructose intake on the former.

And on the latter, why would straight pinto beans be any better than these refried beans?  The refried beans are simply cooked, with some added water and salt (among other, seemingly innocuous, ingredients).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread