What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
JAA said:
Calories in < Calories out

:shrug:

Signed,

fatass
What is this magic math nonsense.

-OZ- said:
Agreed, don't take my reaction as anything other than an appreciation for our differences.  

Weight is a personal thing. I know I feel better, healthier at 185-190, but my racing would be far better 10-15 lbs lighter.
I think I'm around 185, which is where I was during my tri days (a lot more muscle back then)...6'. Definitely still have a dad belly, even if I've lost the weight elsewhere. I had been perpetually just under 200 between the tri days and my recent running renaissance

College soccer, which I consider my peak fitness, I weighed 168 by the end of each preseason. So I know that's my youthful optimum fighting weight.

I could stand to weigh 180-175 and still be healthy and eat most things. I tend to suffer a bit from portion control and stress eating...which has been worse the last months with my unhappy job.
Losing weight is easy, but hard.

Just dont eat when you are hungry.  Dont worry about the macros or other.  Just count less calories.  Its that easy.

Signed,

guy who likes to eat 🐷

A pain in the butt.  More precisely, I believe the pain/injury I've been dealing with is hamstring tendinopathy ...some inflammation or damage to the tendon that connects the hammies to the butt bone.  It's not the hammies themselves; it's not the glutes.  The condition is often seen "in runners who have suddenly increased their training volume/intensity, or started hill running."  Probable cause (beyond bad luck): I had a week with a big increase in elevation, then the next week ran three days in a row including a 16 miler.  Soon after, in the first steps of a run, it felt like my leg was going to collapse.  That moment passed, but I felt stiff and sore. 

I should have explored this two or three weeks ago when I first started having issues, but I finally spent time this weekend with dr. google.  The issue hasn't felt like a muscle.  There's no spot I can press that feels sore.  The soreness/pain has been deeper in the lower butt.  The soreness has increased after runs, not during, which seems to be more indicative of a tendon issue.  I've clearly noticed that my stride has been affected, as most of my pacing is slower.  I've also noticed my body's resistance when going up any sort of slope.  (Recovery recommendations state that faster pacing and hills should be avoided for a while.)

Catching a couple runs per week for the past three weeks (to keep up some fitness) really hasn't been the best approach, so I'll back off for a few weeks and see if I find any improvement.  I've found some appropriate stretches than can help (and others that would hurt).  Hopefully I can be running OK by early/mid June.  Fingers and toes crossed.
I wonder if this is what I've been dealing with.  Regardless, I feel like I'm on a path of progress.  I'm going to try my first hilly run in about a year's time to see how the glute responds.  (I keep calling it the glute, but maybe I'm wrong.)

Here's hoping this doesn't derail Boston Marathon training @tri-man 47

Oh, interesting.  It must be milder if you're able to run on so many consecutive days and at such speeds ...and to start fast without a warmup.  
Well, the post run pain was more the issue than during runs. It was also affecting my sciatic nerve (as the article mentions can happen) and I had a lot of trouble sitting or driving a car longer than about 20 minutes. 

Fortunately it’s much more minor now for me and slowly getting better.  I can have some bad days after a particularly tough or long run but most days it’s no big deal.

The article you linked is right. It’s a difficult injury to rehab. I wish you the best.

Paging all thread docs and google docs...

If the path to recovery on the Achilles’ tendon includes more strength based approach (counterintuitive approach it seems with rest not really helping) and eccentric heel drops being a key move. Does similar apply to the hammy with something like an eccentric single leg deadlift where you do the lowering bit only and then reset/repeat?

If the path to recovery on the Achilles’ tendon includes more strength based approach (counterintuitive approach it seems with rest not really helping) and eccentric heel drops being a key move. Does similar apply to the hammy with something like an eccentric single leg deadlift where you do the lowering bit only and then reset/repeat?
Intuitively, I'd think it would be different- tendon vs muscle. The strengthening for the Achilles problem is for the muscles around the tendon. My memory of muscle treatment (caveat- from 30yesrs ago college soccer days) was rest, stretching and then strengthening in that order.

@gianmarco

@ned sister's potato salad

Intuitively, I'd think it would be different- tendon vs muscle. The strengthening for the Achilles problem is for the muscles around the tendon. My memory of muscle treatment (caveat- from 30yesrs ago college soccer days) was rest, stretching and then strengthening in that order.

@gianmarco

I think he’s actually referring to the tendon issue that Tri-man is dealing with.

@gianmarco

So, from my understanding with the heel drops for Achilles tendinosis is that the heel drops help realign the fibers within the tendon itself.  It's the stretching of those fibers that allows them to realign.  Beyond that, I don't know how it would apply to the hamstrings and what exercises would accomplish that without looking it up.  I can try, though.

Here you go

The eccentric exercises are thought to selectively damage the Achilles tendon, stripping away the misaligned tendon fibers and allowing the body to lay down new fibers that are closer in alignment to the healthy collagen in the tendon. This is why moderate pain during the exercises is a good thing, and why adding weight over time is necessary to progressively strengthen the tendon.

So, from my understanding with the heel drops for Achilles tendinosis is that the heel drops help realign the fibers within the tendon itself.  It's the stretching of those fibers that allows them to realign.  Beyond that, I don't know how it would apply to the hamstrings and what exercises would accomplish that without looking it up.  I can try, though.
I think an eccentric single leg deadlift while complaining about the heat might be the move. 

Doctor here, at your service.

I'll be exploring this further today, but from what I've been seeing, the movements related to the hamstring tendon focus more on bent knee reps rather than straight leg actions that stretch the hammies and stress the tendon.  

eta: This is a good overview, including a link to several specific exercises for hamstring tendinopathy as well as a link to other exercises for hip strength and stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news for the world and running,  does this change anyones Indy intentions?

“It’s official! Together with city and state government officials, we’re excited to announce that, on November 7, 2021, 33,000 people will run the #TCSNYCMarathon!”

Good news for the world and running,  does this change anyones Indy intentions?

“It’s official! Together with city and state government officials, we’re excited to announce that, on November 7, 2021, 33,000 people will run the #TCSNYCMarathon!”
Awesome.

Wish I was one of them.

Mine are pretty good but I just raced a half marathon a few weeks ago.  If you don’t have some recent race efforts, there will be more room for error.
Ahhh that makes sense, my numbers are absolutely insane 

because I have no races

I wonder if this is what I've been dealing with.  Regardless, I feel like I'm on a path of progress.  I'm going to try my first hilly run in about a year's time to see how the glute responds.  (I keep calling it the glute, but maybe I'm wrong.)

Here's hoping this doesn't derail Boston Marathon training @tri-man 47
First of all, thanks for the support (@Juxtatarot, too).  I don't expect to let this derail the training, but it might inhibit the training and performance.  Then again, my "A" goal was super-aggressive ...it might not be a bad thing to just return to Boston with better marathon skills and confidence and see if I can make a strong improvement in my Boston time.  I've already run scenarios through my mind for a return, then, in 2022 and even a look-ahead to 2026 and the next bracket.  It's more fun than researching retirement homes.   :unsure:    

It's strange how the identification of a specific tendon issue, vs. a muscle problem, has changed and benefited my mental approach to this.  Instead of wondering what I should do, I feel like I have a much better understanding of what helps and what would hurt.  I even feel like there's a mental benefit of having my mind focusing on the specific problem rather than random, negative thoughts (I honestly feel like I'm channeling some @JShare87 here).  

Think it through, @SteelCurtain, and let me know if it does appear to be the same issue.  I do believe that if it were a glute muscle, you'd be able to find that spot, push on it, and feel the pain.  This tendon issue is deeper than that.

PSA - As the week progresses, prepare yourselves for lots of complaining about the heat.
I was prepared and probably over prepared.  Started later than usual as it cooled off a little.  Ran the first half away from the sun.  Carried a water bottle for the first time.  By the time I was facing the sun it was late enough it didn't totally crush me. I probably took it too easy after my last bad run and then when I made the turn towards home all I could think of was this

You’re insane
Also, 7 months ago you ran a 1 mile PR of 7:00 on an uphill route when you came out stupid hot and paced it about as bad as possible.  Since that time, you are now running paces between :30-45 faster per mile than you were at that time with similar HRs. 

You just did 5 miles at an 8:14 pace with an AHR of 132. Running 3.1 miles at a pace a minute faster than that would be a soft PR.

I remember telling my college roommate in 1992 that Live would be as big as R.E.M. That seemed plausible in 1994. Not so much afterwards.
With hind sight, it is even more incredible that they were able to put out such a complete piece of work beginning to end when listening to any part of their catalog in the years that followed. 

From

'Lightning crashes, an old mother dies
Her intentions fall to the floor
The angel closes her eyes
The confusion that was hers
Belongs now, to the baby down the hall'

To

'Love will lead us, she will lead us
Can you hear the dolphin's cry?'

:mellow:

Awesome.

Wish I was one of them.
Back when ING was the title sponsor, I could use my work connections and get in fairly easily, but I only did it once back in 2009 when I did both Chicago and NYC a few weeks apart.  That said, it looks like I might actually be able to run a qualifier for next year when I'm 45.  I'll "only" need to run a 3:05 full or a 1:28 half.  

No matter what you think about their music, Green Day puts on a hell of a show. 
It's their politics that I can't stand, but we'll leave that for another day (and another forum).

ETA:  But I honestly can't stand their music, either.

Started off on my hill repeat workout this am. Got up the bridge to head over and down to my repeats location and knew my legs and body were in bad shape.

When I got to the bottom of the bridge to start the workout, I turned off the inner 10k thread dbap voice and kept going out onto the Brooklyn water front for a recovery run instead.

Even though I hate missing my hill workout, I'm glad I did. 

With hind sight, it is even more incredible that they were able to put out such a complete piece of work beginning to end when listening to any part of their catalog in the years that followed. 

From

'Lightning crashes, an old mother dies
Her intentions fall to the floor
The angel closes her eyes
The confusion that was hers
Belongs now, to the baby down the hall'

To

'Love will lead us, she will lead us
Can you hear the dolphin's cry?'

:mellow:
I listened to Throwing Copper on my run this morning.  Really, really sounds dated but, of course, it is dated.  Speaking of bad lyrics, it doesn't get worse than the song "Waitress".  

Users who are viewing this thread