Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread


Ned

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Anyone interested in doing a 4x4x48 this upcoming weekend?  4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours.

 

Or you could do 4x4x24.

 

I know it’s a long shot but seeing if anyone wants a physical and mental challenge this weekend.

 

….counting down until I see Chief’s “No.”

 

I could start Thursday night and end Saturday as my wife and I have dinner plans Saturday night so I might want to have it done so I can enjoy the food and drink that evening.

Sounds good.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Anyone interested in doing a 4x4x48 this upcoming weekend?  4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours.

 

Or you could do 4x4x24.

 

I know it’s a long shot but seeing if anyone wants a physical and mental challenge this weekend.

 

….counting down until I see Chief’s “No.”

 

I could start Thursday night and end Saturday as my wife and I have dinner plans Saturday night so I might want to have it done so I can enjoy the food and drink that evening.

I'm in for 4x24x24.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Nice!  I’m considering starting Thursday at 9 pm and ending my last run Saturday at 5 pm (ET).  Would you be able to find 24 hours in there to join me?

I can find time to do a 4 mile run every 24 hours for 24 hours, yes.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Anyone interested in doing a 4x4x48 this upcoming weekend?  4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours.

 

Or you could do 4x4x24.

I was actually very intrigued when you and grue did this last time.  I would like to try the 4x4x24 at some point, but this coming weekend is bad timing.  4x4x48 seems awful just from the standpoint of disrupted sleep.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

I was actually very intrigued when you and grue did this last time.  I would like to try the 4x4x24 at some point, but this coming weekend is bad timing.  4x4x48 seems awful just from the standpoint of disrupted sleep.

In all seriousness, I'll do a 4x4x24. This weekend isn't ideal for me either, but I'm game for one in the future. 4x4x48 will be difficult with my work schedule.  Even my 4x4x24 will have to be during the week.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

In all seriousness, I'll do a 4x4x24. This weekend isn't ideal for me either, but I'm game for one in the future. 4x4x48 will be difficult with my work schedule.  Even my 4x4x24 will have to be during the week.

Ok. I like this attitude.  Much better than a few hours ago.  😀

 

I can probably do in a couple weeks if you want. I just am starting to map out my Hanson’s marathon planning and trying to figure out which race and what could work with vacation plans too.  
 

Let’s keep the conversation going. I can take a day off from work to do this as well.  

 

And yes, 4x4x48 is extra tough mentally and physically due to lack of sleep, eating, showers, etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it would be fun to give this a go sometime but I'm leaving on vacation on Saturday, plus not really in shape to do this right now. If you do this "in a few weeks", I might be up for it depending on exact timing and all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

Ok. I like this attitude.  Much better than a few hours ago.  😀

 

I can probably do in a couple weeks if you want. I just am starting to map out my Hanson’s marathon planning and trying to figure out which race and what could work with vacation plans too.  
 

Let’s keep the conversation going. I can take a day off from work to do this as well.  

 

And yes, 4x4x48 is extra tough mentally and physically due to lack of sleep, eating, showers, etc.  

The lack of sleep part is easy. I'll do a 4x4x48 in the middle of the week sometime this month (Tuesday to Thursday). But I can't on the weekends since I'm working overnight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

The lack of sleep part is easy. I'll do a 4x4x48 in the middle of the week sometime this month (Tuesday to Thursday). But I can't on the weekends since I'm working overnight. 

PM me or text me (if you have my number) and maybe we can coordinate dates.  I’ve got vacation time to burn so happy to take a couple days off and run. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gianmarco said:

The lack of sleep part is easy. I'll do a 4x4x48 in the middle of the week sometime this month (Tuesday to Thursday). But I can't on the weekends since I'm working overnight. 

 

11 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

PM me or text me (if you have my number) and maybe we can coordinate dates.  I’ve got vacation time to burn so happy to take a couple days off and run. 

Good to see you guys have dialed down the craziness in here :thumbup:

Used to be running 80 mile weeks as standard training, glad you guys are becoming more reasonable with expectations :loco:

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going for a super super slow 10mi run at lunch today.  Its going to be 90-92f outside.  I'm trying a new pre-run cocktail.  It includes a couple pinches of Himalayan salt, beet root powder, and BCAAs.  No sweeteners means it tastes like @tri-man 47hands after a couple of footrubs.  Ill try not to die too too many times.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

And yes, 4x4x48 is extra tough mentally and physically due to lack of sleep, eating, showers, etc.  

Meh.  I didn't think it was that bad.  Easier than a single 8-miler in 80-degree temps, IMHO.

Run, quickly eat something and shower (optional), then sleep for 2-3 hours and do it over again.

Edited by gruecd
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Meh.  I didn't think it was that bad.  Easier than a single 8-miler in 80-degree temps, IMHO.

Run, quickly eat something and shower (optional), then sleep for 2-3 hours and do it over again.

:fishing:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Looks like Endorphin 2s dropping. As a result, the Endorphin Pro has dropped from $200 to $150 everywhere.

Not sure I’ve seen a review show the 2s much different than the 1. Buy Mortimer, buy!  The Speeds will drop soon too with the Speed 2s coming this summer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don’t understand what’s going on with my running these days. VO2 max is jumping to levels I’ve never seen before but it doesn’t make much sense. I’m not doing anything differently running wise. 
 

The last week I’ve been eating like ####, drinking, and not exercising other than running/walking/hiking. 

This morning I ran hungover in the AZ heat (but low humidity) but managed 7:41/117 averages. 
 

I think I’ve decided that I’ll make very few changes when I start marathon training. Why change what’s working? It seems like an unnecessary risk even if I’m training unconventionally. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

I really don’t understand what’s going on with my running these days. VO2 max is jumping to levels I’ve never seen before but it doesn’t make much sense. I’m not doing anything differently running wise. 

My explanation is that Garmin's VO2 max measurement, much like Strava's "fitness" assessment, is garbage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gruecd said:

My explanation is that Garmin's VO2 max measurement, much like Strava's "fitness" assessment, is garbage.

I just view it as a measure of heart rates at various paces. Run faster with a lower heart rate and vo2 max (on the Garmin) goes up. Have some slower runs with higher heart rate, and it goes down.  I’ve noticed a strong correlation between Garmin Vo2 max and race performance for me. Others may have different experiences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Looks like Endorphin 2s dropping. As a result, the Endorphin Pro has dropped from $200 to $150 everywhere.

I mentioned the Hoka Clifton 7s getting knocked down to 103 because the 8s are now out.

Looks like Brooks Ghosts are doing the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

I really don’t understand what’s going on with my running these days. VO2 max is jumping to levels I’ve never seen before but it doesn’t make much sense. I’m not doing anything differently running wise. 
 

The last week I’ve been eating like ####, drinking, and not exercising other than running/walking/hiking. 

This morning I ran hungover in the AZ heat (but low humidity) but managed 7:41/117 averages. 
 

I think I’ve decided that I’ll make very few changes when I start marathon training. Why change what’s working? It seems like an unnecessary risk even if I’m training unconventionally. 

Its really just a function of how long you can keep a high heart rate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I just view it as a measure of heart rates at various paces. Run faster with a lower heart rate and vo2 max (on the Garmin) goes up. Have some slower runs with higher heart rate, and it goes down.  I’ve noticed a strong correlation between Garmin Vo2 max and race performance for me. Others may have different experiences.

Yup, this is why my VO2Max rises in winter (cooler temps = lower HR at same pace) and falls in summer.

Maybe AZ being dry helps you more than the high temps hurt you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Yup, this is why my VO2Max rises in winter (cooler temps = lower HR at same pace) and falls in summer.

Maybe AZ being dry helps you more than the high temps hurt you.

Being a morning runner in a northern climate make me not have much seasonal swing. It’s usually under 70 degrees for me on summer mornings. Obviously Texas is very different as are afternoons virtually everywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I kind of realized today while running that I'm probably eternally going to be "a guy who runs" rather than a "runner". I lack the discipline/desire to really be a runner - I know this is obvious stuff to those that have been following along but I keep trying to convince myself that I can become a runner but it just isn't quite happening. That said, I have a big ol' giant carrot in front of me now with all my fans coming to town to run with me in a few months. 

That said, I do not regret umpiring baseball games one bit - that is a blast and I'll keep doing summer ball soon - kind of busy recently so have had to block off my schedule most of the time lately. It shouldn't interfere with running anytime soon - or at least it won't be a valid excuse in the least. There was time to keep up the running over the last month or so, I just couldn't convince myself to get out and run first thing in the mornings. 

Anyway, hopefully I'm back in here more and can put something together for the monumental. So anyway... Let's see how it goes. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I kind of realized today while running that I'm probably eternally going to be "a guy who runs" rather than a "runner". I lack the discipline/desire to really be a runner - I know this is obvious stuff to those that have been following along but I keep trying to convince myself that I can become a runner but it just isn't quite happening. That said, I have a big ol' giant carrot in front of me now with all my fans coming to town to run with me in a few months. 

That said, I do not regret umpiring baseball games one bit - that is a blast and I'll keep doing summer ball soon - kind of busy recently so have had to block off my schedule most of the time lately. It shouldn't interfere with running anytime soon - or at least it won't be a valid excuse in the least. There was time to keep up the running over the last month or so, I just couldn't convince myself to get out and run first thing in the mornings. 

Anyway, hopefully I'm back in here more and can put something together for the monumental. So anyway... Let's see how it goes. 

In't anything wrong with running not being a priority. If optimal performance isn't at the top of your list then game plan accordingly. So long as you're supplementing this healthy activity with enough other activities that sustain your health. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

In't anything wrong with running not being a priority. If optimal performance isn't at the top of your list then game plan accordingly. So long as you're supplementing this healthy activity with enough other activities that sustain your health. 

:thumbup:

Yeah, staying healthy/active is important to me. Over the last month, I haven't lost any weight (still would like to lose about another 20 lbs +/-) but I also haven't really gained any, so that is good. But there is a part of me that so loved all the gains in running that really would like to see how much faster I can go, particularly in HMs, as well as these trail races. In the HM road races, I was finishing in the upper part of my age group and overall. In the trail races, I'm barely average at best. But it takes doing the work to get the results. 

That said, I do want to do the Monumental justice this fall and have some goals I'd like to attempt but I have to find the "want to" to make that happen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, to get me slightly motivated, let's do a little race review... Since I basically was just hoping to survive the ordeal and be consistent, it didn't exactly feel like a race but I'm doing it anyway...

D.IN.O. 15k #4 - Brown County State Park

As mentioned before, pre-race involved zero running for a month - other than mini-sprints around the baseball field. I also spent about 5 hours Friday afternoon/evening building a storage shed with my daughter. Saturday morning, I got up, had some breakfast and headed off for the hour +/- long drive to the park. Got there, got my bib, pooped, talked with some people I've met at the previous events, as well as a couple friends doing it, and got ready to take off. As a note, the painted mile markers on the ground were all almost all about .1 off of what my watch was measuring - I've often had this issue on twisty trails. So, per their markings, I was running about 1.1 miles per 1 mile that garmin measured. Not sure which was right and really doesn't matter, just thought I'd note it.

So, mile 1 starts off on a horse trail going uphill for basically the entire mile with a lot of mud and considerable horse poop to try to avoid. Per strava it was about 250 ft up over the mile. Made a great welcome back for my first run in a month! After that, it's kind of down, up, down, up, down over the next 2.5 miles or so. At that point, we start uphill again for about 1.5 miles - gradual at first then more significant - about 300 feet total over the distance. I fell for the only time during this section... looked up to see how far the hill went and tripped on a root for a nice roll on the ground but nothing hurt and was back up and moving immediately.

At the top of that hill (~5 miles in), it becomes a pretty significant downhill for the next couple miles pretty easy cruising the downhill parts except the one moment I came about :thisclose: while going down hill and around a corner to going down the hill in a nasty way that would not have been fun... At that point we are at about the 7 mile mark and there is one last hill to go up. At this point, my calves are starting to try to cramp up when going uphill - I never stopped running but did have to go to some smaller steps going uphill. That hill didn't last too long and then it went back downhill again.

You can actually see in strava the exact moment we came out of the woods to a nice open field for the finish - my pace steadily increases to the finish line. 

I officially finished the "15K" 1:39:36 and finished 91 out of 148 overall. Also, I got passed by a 60+ YO woman in the last mile. She is a badass, BMF if ever there was one. I talked to her briefly after the race and knew she was 'older' but didn't know how old until checking the results. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gruecd said:

Meh.  I didn't think it was that bad.  Easier than a single 8-miler in 80-degree temps, IMHO.

How about a single 5-miler at 90 degrees?  Because man, one would have to be pretty stupid to try such a thing.  :doh:

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Objective of this is one part update, one part future reference for others, one part seeking advice, but mostly an opportunity for zingers.

Vasectomy recovery to this point has been...rather simple. Maybe this is normal or perhaps it just was for me because I took shutting things down to an extreme. From 4 pm Tuesday until Saturday morning I took a grand total of 3,588 steps, which is about on par with what I do on a winter day in which i don't leave the house (and don't run). I spent pretty much every waking moment with the exception of my son's baseball games Wed and Fri pm sitting on frozen peas. 

After a Sat am baseball game I decided to try 30 mins of exercise - push ups, single leg rdl's, dips, calf extensions, active side planks, and air squats. I rested for a few then showered for only the second time post-op (the only time I'll take the jock off) and was only marginally more uncomfortable than I was when I woke up that morning. After lunch we then walked down the street to my in-laws. They host a fundraiser each year, which is just an excuse to sip whiskey with friends and meet new people on their front lawn. I tried not to stand/walk for more than 20-30 mins at a time, but I'm sure as the libation count increased into the night my guard went down. I'm sure if I was uncomfortable that any alcohol served as a numbing agent, so I was curious how I'd feel Sunday am.

And other than a very modest hangover I was fine. After mass I decided to lace 'em up and see what happens. I asked the doc how long I should wait before running again and he said absolute earliest is about 5-7 days, emphasizing jogging over running (he runs some too), and since this was day 5 - what the hell. It was...weird, at first. But I kinda expected it. It was kinda weird walking pre-alcohol the day before, so I figured it may be a bit before I find a comfortable cadence. On a scale of 1-10 I'd describe my pre-run discomfort as a 3 and I mapped out a route that would get me back home a little over 3 miles if that discomfort increased at all. Sometime later during the first mile I found something comfortable enough then stuck with it. It was far from road runner cadence (this is me after all), but it was short quick strides. After about a mile of that I was increasingly confident I wouldn't need to take my bailout and that was confirmed as I neared home, so I altered course and ran about double (5.7 miles). I finished with no change in discomfort, rested for a bit post shower, then we went to a graduation party that evening without incident. 

Today I decided to run longer (cause why not). And the only thing uncomfortable about those 8.2 miles was the suck. So tonight as I retreated to the basement I finally got rid of that itchy (and probably rank at this point) jock. I feel pretty good about my go-forward exercise plan right now, but I am curious if others have any feedback about what to do about the jock. I still intend to put it on to exercise, but do I still need it for any other purposes? about how long should I keep wearing this thing before getting rid of it? and am I correct to assume that even if I shed it prior that I should be sure to wear it for at least one something of substance workout before tempting fate without it?

Anyway, hope that was helpful. That I get some guidance. And that I unintentionally included at least a few opportunities for some euphemisms.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely do not get rid of the jock. I'd look at getting it mounted.  Depending on the size, we could probably help figure out the best room in the house for it.

  • Laughing 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

Definitely do not get rid of the jock. I'd look at getting it mounted.  Depending on the size, we could probably help figure out the best room in the house for it.

This reminds me - the nurse asked me immediately post op if I wanted to take what they cut out home. I initially stumbled over my words, but eventually blurted out - since you're asking me this that tells me others before me have and I the thought process that leads to one making that request terrifies me...can I have some more valium.

  • Laughing 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@MAC_32 it is good to hear that you’re recovered from the procedure. It has been so long since I had mine done that went back to review how long I waited to run and how far I went. Apparently I waited 15 days and only managed to run a mile with some unintentional map art.

You might notice in Strava that I didn’t run much after, 6 miles over the next 9 weeks, but that didn’t have anything to do with recovering from the procedure but rather me being annoyed that my wife scheduled a trip on the weekend of the half marathon I wanted to run. I wasn’t a committed runner back then and was looking for any excuse not to run.

Enjoy the peace of mind and you soon be sleeping better than ever. I think I threw out the jock with the bag of peas.

  • Laughing 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Definitely do not get rid of the jock. I'd look at getting it mounted.  Depending on the size, we could probably help figure out the best room in the house for it.

Based on the fact that @MAC_32 is a beast he'll probably need to build a new house for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pbm107 said:

@MAC_32 it is good to hear that you’re recovered from the procedure. It has been so long since I had mine done that went back to review how long I waited to run and how far I went. Apparently I waited 15 days and only managed to run a mile with some unintentional map art.

You might notice in Strava that I didn’t run much after, 6 miles over the next 9 weeks, but that didn’t have anything to do with recovering from the procedure but rather me being annoyed that my wife scheduled a trip on the weekend of the half marathon I wanted to run. I wasn’t a committed runner back then and was looking for any excuse not to run.

Enjoy the peace of mind and you soon be sleeping better than ever. I think I threw out the jock with the bag of peas.

That link reminded me I miss @Ned

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here's a couple little stories about when I had my procedure done many, many moons ago...

I had it done about 10 am +/- on a Friday morning in early December. I was out playing poker with buddies Friday night with my bag of peas in tow. Then I spent Saturday evening at home alone with the youngest, who was like 6 months old while my wife went with her mother, grandmother and our older daughter to a see a production of...

 

 

wait for it...

 

 

 

The Nutcracker! 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...