What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

And it begins!  Completed my first London Marathon training run.  I'm vascillating between a hard training plan of Hansons 65-85 mpw) and a more realistic one (45-65 mpw).  I'm going to start with the hard and see how it goes.  I can always drop back.

Almost definitely racing London.  Still figuring out how my training will be impacted by a vacation in late July/Early August.  (going to national parks out west in the heat, so not sure if running/treadmills will be available or able to happen.)

Boston will likely be my slowest marathon.  After racing London, I don't see how I get Boston done in less than 4 hours just 8 days after London.

I've reached out to Indianapolis about leading a pace group.  I'm pretty confident I'll get selected as I have a connection who is assisting me.
You go the Final Surge route with the Hanson plan?  I’m prob going with the advanced from the book but pulling it up a day so long runs are Sat. Not sure if I can tweak in final surge or just do it offline like prior plans. 

Almost definitely racing London.  Still figuring out how my training will be impacted by a vacation in late July/Early August.  (going to national parks out west in the heat, so not sure if running/treadmills will be available or able to happen.)
I feel like some of my best training in '19 was working the hills in SF during a conference in the city.  You could craft some solid hill workouts while out west even if the total distance is less ...intensity over mileage.

You go the Final Surge route with the Hanson plan?  I’m prob going with the advanced from the book but pulling it up a day so long runs are Sat. Not sure if I can tweak in final surge or just do it offline like prior plans. 
I've got a few plans on my laptop.  I'll text you and we can discuss further. 

I feel like some of my best training in '19 was working the hills in SF during a conference in the city.  You could craft some solid hill workouts while out west even if the total distance is less ...intensity over mileage.
Agree.  I just don't know what our travel schedule will be and we will be hiking from before sunrise until noon.  Then it will be too hot.  So whether I venture out for a 30 minute hill session in 100 degree heat or something else, still TBD.

Looks  like I sync'd up with ChiefD on vacation schedules.  I took a break from biking when we did our vacation last week.  We were in Kauai and I did my fair share of hiking/walking.  Being up 3 hours before the girls helped me fit a lot in.  One hike that I've wanted to do for many years is the Kalalau trail which covers the NW coast of the island; only accessible by trail (viewable by boat).  While I'd never be able to convince my wife and kids to do a 3 night, 25 mile overnight hike with camping, cliffs and no bathrooms, I was able to book passes to do the first part of the trail.  Unfortunately, my younger daughter twisted her ankle the day before, so she wasn't ready to tackle the rocky trail, but older daughter and I did the Hanakapiai beach hike (the first 2 miles of Kalalau).  It was awesome and we got a really clear day. Definitely one of the better hikes I've done. 

All the walking I did last week woke up my knee arthritis, but in a minor way.  The resort we stayed it had bikes available for use, but I was good with sticking with walking and swimming to the bar for pina coladas if only for a week. 

I wasn't sure if I should run outside tonight because it had been raining off and on all day, but the weather said it would end around 5 so I gave it a shot.  It did not stop at 5.  It started downpouring at about 5:15.  Or whatever time it was when I reached mile 1.5 or so.  Awesome.  I got hit by a cartoonishly large puddle as an SUV drove by and just completely forgot about staying dry, but the cooler air and wet everything definitely kept me from overheating and I started out a little too fast. One mofe problem - I was wearing two year old running shorts that I bought when I was fat.  The weight of the rain had them slipping down to the top of my ham hocks every 10 seconds no matter how tight I got the draw string. Sorry ladies, this one's taken but feel free to browse.  By the time ther rain let up I was about halfway through the run and then it caught up to me a little between running too fast early, being soaked and having cranky wet feet, and I ended up walking a little up the first big hill and then the next and then again a little later. Didn't matter.  I still finished and headed home at a decent pace.  Imagine my surprise when I saw that even with the walking, I had set personal records for the course... and 1 mile... and 2 miles... and 5k.  Apparently I have gotten faster than when I was doing these in the spring- it's been the heat and accumulated wear and tear that's slowed me down a little.  My goal of finishing this loop in under an hour now looks remarkably possible even though I'm still several minutes away, because if I hadn't walked i might have gotten close today.  I'm back on the diet, and planning to get close to my ideal weight by fall so when the weather gets cool I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. 

And it begins!  Completed my first London Marathon training run.  I'm vascillating between a hard training plan of Hansons 65-85 mpw) and a more realistic one (45-65 mpw).  I'm going to start with the hard and see how it goes.  I can always drop back.

Boston will likely be my slowest marathon.  After racing London, I don't see how I get Boston done in less than 4 hours just 8 days after London.

I've reached out to Indianapolis about leading a pace group.  I'm pretty confident I'll get selected as I have a connection who is assisting me.
I know a guy that is worth PBR, who does their pacing. I can talk to him when I get back from vacation if you want. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks  like I sync'd up with ChiefD on vacation schedules.  I took a break from biking when we did our vacation last week.  We were in Kauai and I did my fair share of hiking/walking.  Being up 3 hours before the girls helped me fit a lot in.  One hike that I've wanted to do for many years is the Kalalau trail which covers the NW coast of the island; only accessible by trail (viewable by boat).  While I'd never be able to convince my wife and kids to do a 3 night, 25 mile overnight hike with camping, cliffs and no bathrooms, I was able to book passes to do the first part of the trail.  Unfortunately, my younger daughter twisted her ankle the day before, so she wasn't ready to tackle the rocky trail, but older daughter and I did the Hanakapiai beach hike (the first 2 miles of Kalalau).  It was awesome and we got a really clear day. Definitely one of the better hikes I've done. 

All the walking I did last week woke up my knee arthritis, but in a minor way.  The resort we stayed it had bikes available for use, but I was good with sticking with walking and swimming to the bar for pina coladas if only for a week. 
Wife and I stayed in Kauai and did that hike on our honeymoon. Some of the most beautiful pictures I’ve ever taken.

Wife and I stayed in Kauai and did that hike on our honeymoon. Some of the most beautiful pictures I’ve ever taken.
I've been to a lot of scenic places, but I think Kauai may have topped them all. So many varied landscapes all in one small island.  

gruecd said:

Brony said:
I've been to a lot of scenic places, but I think Kauai may have topped them all. So many varied landscapes all in one small island.  
It’s next on our list, hopefully fall of 2022.  Can’t wait.  

For Boston training, I've started to loosely follow a BAA program (Level 4).  An early challenge is that I recommitted to mileage just last week (week 1 of 18), but the BAA program is a 20 week program and is already into a couple of weekly SOS workouts.  So far, so good, though ...although the hamstring tendinopathy is still not happy with me.

@SayWhat?, how is your wife's healing coming along?
Hey tri-man, thanks for asking.  Per the X-rays, healing is coming along great!  The bones appear to be healing as they should.  Per reality, it’s been and continues to be incredibly brutal.   :sadbanana:

She has pain 24 hours a day, it’s been six months of slow and increasingly/seemingly stagnant progress, she still has very little mobility (I.e. barely weight bearing and incredibly painful when she does), and she’s emotionally and mentally drained and borderline depressed, if not there entirely.  It’s been pretty awful.  I’m trying to be positive and encourage her in that she’s just 6 months into what will be a 12-18 month recovery window.  But privately I’m so very sad for her and scared for what a “full” recovery looks like and how that may impact the next forty years.  ☹️ 

She sent me this text just this morning.  Ugh.

165 days
18 MD visits 
25 pt sessions
800 minutes of meditation 
2,000 minutes on the reformer 
1000 minutes in the sauna
10 massages 
4 sessions of Accupuncture 
2 ER visits
2 surgeries 
1 urgent care visit
5 medications 
9 supplements 
(Calcium magnesium
Vitamin D collagen fish oily probiotics cbd 
Curcumin mct) 
ice machine,  theragun, TENS machine Crutches, scooter, iwalk, and a cane

165 days
18 MD visits 
25 pt sessions
10 massages 
2 ER visits
2 surgeries 
1 urgent care visit
5 medications 
9 supplements 
(Calcium magnesium
Curcumin mct) 
Zero beet juice.  I mean ..c'mon.

Seriously, though, the encouraging thing is what you said about the x-rays.  It seems to me that first the bones need to heal before she can work on all the surrounding tissue. When the bones have healed, then the tendons, ligaments, and muscles can be slowly put back into action.  I expect she'll have more control over the process once she reaches that phase.  In terms of the world-at-large ...she hasn't missed much these past six months (pandemic).  And while it'll suck to be off her feet during the summer, now, she can start to anticipate next summer.

Hopefully she will fully recover within the 12-18 month window.  Do the doctors express doubts about that, or is that you worrying?   I can imagine that many years from now, she might develop nagging pains in her old age due to the bad injury.  But if the bones heal and she does the work to regain strength and mobility, it's quite likely she spends the next couple/few decades carrying on pretty much as normal.  May it be so.

165 days
18 MD visits 
25 pt sessions
10 massages 
2 ER visits
2 surgeries 
1 urgent care visit
5 medications 
9 supplements 
(Calcium magnesium
Curcumin mct) 
Damn, that’s brutal. I’ve never been through anything like that, but I try to remind myself of this phrase when I am going through something. “Where you are now, isn’t where you’re always going to be.” I’m sure it sucks for everyone involved, but you are all going to come out of this stronger. 

I know some of you have had success losing weight while running, and some of you eat like the food court dumpster.  Any tips for losers like me?  Do I need to keep my carbs up so I don't conk out or do anything besides drink enough water?   Also any tips for balancing your eating on the days where you burn 1000 plus calories from running with your rest days?  Do you eat a lot more on run days and a lot less on rest days?   It was one thing when I was burning a couple hundred calories with an evening jog but now it's completely throwing my calorie tracking off when I can have 2600 calories on Sunday but just 1500 on Monday. 

I know some of you have had success losing weight while running, and some of you eat like the food court dumpster.  Any tips for losers like me?  Do I need to keep my carbs up so I don't conk out or do anything besides drink enough water?   Also any tips for balancing your eating on the days where you burn 1000 plus calories from running with your rest days?  Do you eat a lot more on run days and a lot less on rest days?   It was one thing when I was burning a couple hundred calories with an evening jog but now it's completely throwing my calorie tracking off when I can have 2600 calories on Sunday but just 1500 on Monday. 
Be consistent, balanced and healthy with your food. Unless youre gearing up for a race, dont carb up or down or go crazy with calories.

I eat like a fat pig so I got this.

Whenever I increase mileage at all or do any workouts or anything, appetite increases and there's a need to fuel. So any weight loss benefits are gone after the beginning period of turning into a runner. Which is what you are now. As long as you aren't crazy with intake, though, the good thing is that it's easy to maintain your weight with running.

The one time I lost weight with running was when I did true, consistent MAF training (which I did for a couple months). I started in July during the hottest time of the year. I had never done MAF before. So, I truly tried to be strict with it, really working on not ever letting my HR get over 140. A hill? I walked most of it in the beginning. 

But, 3 things happened:

1) Every run felt incredibly easy. Despite running in temps of 90+ consistently, it wasn't bad because of how little effort I had to put in. It was perfect for the summer 

2) I could run 5+ miles and it felt like I walked to my mailbox and back to the house. I felt no fatigue whatsoever.

3) I dropped 15 pounds and got to my lowest weight since high school. And I wasn't trying to lose weight. Because I was running miles but I had 0 increase in appetite. The idea is that it's mostly fat burning and I would say what happened seemed consistent with that.

When I'm not eating like a pig at the trough, I just track my calories on MyFitnessPal.  On days I run more, I "reward" myself with more eating (since MFP incorporates calories burned into it's daily budget).  On days I run less, I try to eat less.

I dropped about 20lbs when I started hiking (which then was followed by running), but I also went cold-turkey on sugar.  Still ate my daily amount recommended by MFP in calories, but didn't have any of them be made up of sugar.  

So I don't know if it was the exercise, or the (lack of) sugar, but I did manage to lose weight.

These days I'm eating more like the pig at the trough, so I'm about 7-10lbs above where I used to be.  Some of that is muscle weight (BEEFCAKE!) but I can grab enough around my waist that I know much of it is still just fat.

I eat like a fat pig so I got this.

Whenever I increase mileage at all or do any workouts or anything, appetite increases and there's a need to fuel. So any weight loss benefits are gone after the beginning period of turning into a runner. Which is what you are now. As long as you aren't crazy with intake, though, the good thing is that it's easy to maintain your weight with running.

The one time I lost weight with running was when I did true, consistent MAF training (which I did for a couple months). I started in July during the hottest time of the year. I had never done MAF before. So, I truly tried to be strict with it, really working on not ever letting my HR get over 140. A hill? I walked most of it in the beginning. 

But, 3 things happened:

1) Every run felt incredibly easy. Despite running in temps of 90+ consistently, it wasn't bad because of how little effort I had to put in. It was perfect for the summer 

2) I could run 5+ miles and it felt like I walked to my mailbox and back to the house. I felt no fatigue whatsoever.

3) I dropped 15 pounds and got to my lowest weight since high school. And I wasn't trying to lose weight. Because I was running miles but I had 0 increase in appetite. The idea is that it's mostly fat burning and I would say what happened seemed consistent with that.
Was the quality (or lack thereof) of your diet the same during that time?

Was the quality (or lack thereof) of your diet the same during that time?
Yes. I've never changed what I eat. Only how much. When I portion control, I do better. When my wife isn't making cookies and desserts all the time, it helps as well. One of the big things in general is having 3 kids and eating my meals plus whatever they don't end up eating. @MAC_32can relate. 

But, those 2 months were insane. I had no appetite despite actually increasing my mileage at the time. It's the only time that's happened in my 4 years of running so far. Plus, once I lost the weight, it stayed off until I took a running break and kept eating as if I was still running.

Zero beet juice.  I mean ..c'mon.

Seriously, though, the encouraging thing is what you said about the x-rays.  It seems to me that first the bones need to heal before she can work on all the surrounding tissue. When the bones have healed, then the tendons, ligaments, and muscles can be slowly put back into action.  I expect she'll have more control over the process once she reaches that phase.  In terms of the world-at-large ...she hasn't missed much these past six months (pandemic).  And while it'll suck to be off her feet during the summer, now, she can start to anticipate next summer.

Hopefully she will fully recover within the 12-18 month window.  Do the doctors express doubts about that, or is that you worrying?   I can imagine that many years from now, she might develop nagging pains in her old age due to the bad injury.  But if the bones heal and she does the work to regain strength and mobility, it's quite likely she spends the next couple/few decades carrying on pretty much as normal.  May it be so.
Thanks TM.  The hope is that this is just all part of a loooooong recovery process.  The doctor isn’t indicating anything negative at this stage, but I don’t imagine he would anyways unless there was something obviously amiss.  

As for the bolded, the answer is “yes,” at least the initially trauma doctor did.  The feedback at the time of the injury was that it was extremely significant and that “some people never run again after this type of injury.”  So that’s where my (and I imagine her) concern for what a full recovery looks like is coming from.  I think we/she anticipated her at least walking relatively normally at the six month mark, and she’s not really close to that right now.  

But ya know what? There are worse things, right?  It could’ve been a brain injury.  Or a spine injury.  She could have stage IV cancer.  Could’ve died from COVID.  So I’m just hopeful that the pain improves because it’s been sucking a lot of her positivity and the enjoyment of life out of her.

@bostonfred

Use this link to look at my training log

Go to June 27th, 2019.  It's labeled 1st MAF run.  Here's an example of running in 90 degrees and still keeping HR down because I was running so slowly.

Also, if you notice, I was running 12 minute (and sometimes even 13 minute) miles in the beginning in order to keep my HR low enough.  By August, I was down in the 10's with the same HR.

Anyway, you can look through those runs up until September and see the progression.  I went from weighing about 205 that June when we did the relay together with some of the guys here down to 189 by mid September.  And the only difference was MAF.

Currently accepting applications from teams that would like to be my new NBA favorite.  Only requirement is that you have a head coach who isn't entirely effing clueless...and a superstar who can make a free throw.

Currently accepting applications from teams that would like to be my new NBA favorite.  Only requirement is that you have a head coach who isn't entirely effing clueless...and a superstar who can make a free throw.
Just look 92 miles to the south!

I like a lot of the Bucks players but I find myself rooting against them because I hate Fiserv so much.

I like a lot of the Bucks players but I find myself rooting against them because I hate Fiserv so much.
As in the company?  They're right down the road from me.  What would possibly cause you to hate a fintech company so much that you root against a basketball team because that company has naming rights to their arena?

@bostonfred

Use this link to look at my training log

Go to June 27th, 2019.  It's labeled 1st MAF run.  Here's an example of running in 90 degrees and still keeping HR down because I was running so slowly.

Also, if you notice, I was running 12 minute (and sometimes even 13 minute) miles in the beginning in order to keep my HR low enough.  By August, I was down in the 10's with the same HR.

Anyway, you can look through those runs up until September and see the progression.  I went from weighing about 205 that June when we did the relay together with some of the guys here down to 189 by mid September.  And the only difference was MAF.
Thanks gian but you kind if Yada Yada Yada'ed the good part.  My question isn't whether you can lose weight by running or if MAF would help - I lost about 30 pounds this winter running MAF 5ks 5-6 times a week, and lost 40 just walking and getting into running.  

My issue is that I tracked calories in myfitnesspal and got 1500 calories a day plus exercise, which ended up being like 500 more.  It was anhuge motivation to run more often because 500 extra calories was a third of what I was used to eating. 

But running 70 minutes at my weight burns over 1000 calories.  So now I have days where I get 1500, and other days where I get 2600. 

I could just eat 1500 every day but I'd die

I could eat 2600 every day but I would actually gain weight on my rest days. 

I could try to average it out and just have 2000 a day but then I'm not really motivated to run. 

Or I could suck it up and have 1500 on rest days but now I want to push myself and never rest so I can eat a ####### slice of pizza and that's not healthy either. 

Like most things exercise I could write 5,000 words on this, but succinctly - don't look at intake on a day-to-day basis. I don't know if your watch provides info on a week-to-week basis, but that's what I use through garmin. Active calories is obviously the important one but I also keep tabs on sleep, steps, and resting HR. They usually correlate. i.e. if I'm not getting enough sleep then I have less energy to be active, which all results in my resting HR creeping up. I usually check these numbers at least a couple times per week.

Like most things exercise I could write 5,000 words on this, but succinctly - don't look at intake on a day-to-day basis. I don't know if your watch provides info on a week-to-week basis, but that's what I use through garmin. Active calories is obviously the important one but I also keep tabs on sleep, steps, and resting HR. They usually correlate. i.e. if I'm not getting enough sleep then I have less energy to be active, which all results in my resting HR creeping up. I usually check these numbers at least a couple times per week.
Yeah I was thinking something on these lines, but it's easy to motivate myself to run to earn more calories today, and easy to motivate myself to stay under calories today.  It's harder to motivate myself to run or to eat less today so I can have more tomorrow.  Or to run today because I ate too much yesterday.  If I get too loosey goosey with it I can see myself talking myself into bad behaviors that my current approach doesn't really allow.  Maybe the issue is with me, because I need to be strict about tracking. 

As in the company?  They're right down the road from me.  What would possibly cause you to hate a fintech company so much that you root against a basketball team because that company has naming rights to their arena?
Their customer service and management is horrendous. We got forced to deal with them through acquisition and are now so entwined with them that we’re ####ed. They piss me off everyday.

Yeah I was thinking something on these lines, but it's easy to motivate myself to run to earn more calories today, and easy to motivate myself to stay under calories today.  It's harder to motivate myself to run or to eat less today so I can have more tomorrow.  Or to run today because I ate too much yesterday.  If I get too loosey goosey with it I can see myself talking myself into bad behaviors that my current approach doesn't really allow.  Maybe the issue is with me, because I need to be strict about tracking. 
Right, given your (very well!!!) documented strengths and weaknesses there may not be a good answer to this inquiry. This method works for me because I decision make based on larger windows - typically about 2 weeks or so. The habits you've developed are rooted in day-to-day, which makes it difficult to navigate when you have a high variance activity like running yo-yo'ing your calories from one day to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread