What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Also... I quit my job. 

While this will add some stress over finances if i cant find replacement work, it will hopefully remove the unhappiness and stress I took home with me every night dealing with an office environment that really didnt jibe with me personally or professionally. 

Also, also...heading down to MD (Ocean Pines near Ocean City) next week for a month.

Maybe a 10k or something while I'm down there...who's near there?

Also... I quit my job. 

While this will add some stress over finances if i cant find replacement work, it will hopefully remove the unhappiness and stress I took home with me every night dealing with an office environment that really didnt jibe with me personally or professionally. 

Also, also...heading down to MD (Ocean Pines near Ocean City) next week for a month.

Maybe a 10k or something while I'm down there...who's near there?
1- congrats and good luck with whatever  is next

2- check out seashorestriders race sched for stuff in Delaware, kind of nearish where you’ll be. 

Have my first race in like 1.5 years tomorrow.  Is the Patriot Half (half-iron tri), results here:  https://www.allsportsevents.com/results/patriot-half-triathlon-2021/#/race/dbLfq8/HalfIND/

Gonna be an interesting race.  I havnt trained for this distance, nor have I really done any high-intensity training volume.  Ive been more of a volume guy for quite a while.  For example, my target bike HR is like 10-15 beats higher than what Ive been training to (ive been 90/10, kinda MAF work).  In addition, my run volume is no where near the target distance of 13.1.  My longest run since like August of last year was 10 miles that I did last week.

My goto strategy is to ease into the first half of the distance, then incremental increase in intensity over the 2nd half.  Im confident I will finish, but both the bike and run splits will be :tinfoilhat:  until the race is over.

:banned:

Have my first race in like 1.5 years tomorrow.  Is the Patriot Half (half-iron tri), results here:  https://www.allsportsevents.com/results/patriot-half-triathlon-2021/#/race/dbLfq8/HalfIND/

Gonna be an interesting race.  I havnt trained for this distance, nor have I really done any high-intensity training volume.  Ive been more of a volume guy for quite a while.  For example, my target bike HR is like 10-15 beats higher than what Ive been training to (ive been 90/10, kinda MAF work).  In addition, my run volume is no where near the target distance of 13.1.  My longest run since like August of last year was 10 miles that I did last week.

My goto strategy is to ease into the first half of the distance, then incremental increase in intensity over the 2nd half.  Im confident I will finish, but both the bike and run splits will be :tinfoilhat:  until the race is over.

To a greater degree than normal for a longer tri, the run challenge will be to ...keep running.  Something that worked for me during a marathon bonk several years ago was to play a mental game with myself of a min/max HR.  When my HR rose quite high late in the run (max), I'd walk ...but only until my HR reached a moderate threshold (min), and then I started running again.  I actually held a reasonably decent pace for the final six miles doing this.  The key was setting a base standard for when I'd start running again.

Do well!

BTW, SteveC is running Grandma's Marathon on Saturday as well, so we'll have a couple of events to monitor!

BTW, SteveC is running Grandma's Marathon on Saturday as well, so we'll have a couple of events to monitor!
I noticed that. There is a 48 year old that beat me by a minute in my half marathon last month who is running it too. We follow each other on Strava now. The guy’s training has been fantastic. Not only does he run fast almost everyday, but he’s frequently doing amazing workouts. I think he’s going to absolutely crush it.

I noticed that. There is a 48 year old that beat me by a minute in my half marathon last month who is running it too. We follow each other on Strava now. The guy’s training has been fantastic. Not only does he run fast almost everyday, but he’s frequently doing amazing workouts. I think he’s going to absolutely crush it.
Whats his strava name?  I'll go stalk him for the weekend.  🙂

• Laughing
Reactions: JAA
I don’t like to type out real names on the Internet but if you look at kudos for me, he’s TF from St. Charles, IL.
Something I noticed on one of his runs is that his cadence is the same as mine (~180).  I've just gotta get some length back to my stride ...which is tough to do with the hammy/tendon issue.  I run by storefronts and look at my reflection and think "man, I look like an old man running."  Which I am.  I just don't want to run like one.

Something I noticed on one of his runs is that his cadence is the same as mine (~180).  I've just gotta get some length back to my stride ...which is tough to do with the hammy/tendon issue.  I run by storefronts and look at my reflection and think "man, I look like an old man running."  Which I am.  I just don't want to run like 
You used to have such a nice, loping stride. We ran a 5K together in Wheaton in 2013. We both won AG medals and the awards ceremony was quite large since they were raffling off prizes at the same time. When your name was called, you loped down. The emcee commented about how nice your stride was. It got a chuckle from the crowd.  I’m always reminded of that when you discuss form, length, or cadence.  I hope you can get healthy and get some of that back.

5K race for me this morning (9:15 start).  Taking on my 16 year old son.

Smaller race (150 runners maybe?)

I usually finish around 4th - 6th each year.

A goal is to go sub 20. There are some rolling hills (elevation gain of 100 feet i think mostly in first half).  It’s an out and back so net downhill on back half.

There really is no B goal.

Hoping to do around 6:25-6:30 pace on the way out and hold on for dear life on the way back.

I hate 5K’s.

5K race for me this morning (9:15 start).  Taking on my 16 year old son.

Smaller race (150 runners maybe?)

I usually finish around 4th - 6th each year.

A goal is to go sub 20. There are some rolling hills (elevation gain of 100 feet i think mostly in first half).  It’s an out and back so net downhill on back half.

There really is no B goal.

Hoping to do around 6:25-6:30 pace on the way out and hold on for dear life on the way back.

I hate 5K’s.
Good luck! Go get some.

tri-man 47 said:
To a greater degree than normal for a longer tri, the run challenge will be to ...keep running.  Something that worked for me during a marathon bonk several years ago was to play a mental game with myself of a min/max HR.  When my HR rose quite high late in the run (max), I'd walk ...but only until my HR reached a moderate threshold (min), and then I started running again.  I actually held a reasonably decent pace for the final six miles doing this.  The key was setting a base standard for when I'd start running again.

Do well!

Great advice, thank you 

It’s a warm, muggy one here this morning.  About to start my warmup.  9:15 ET start so should be loaded to strava by 9:45.

still need to poop again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder if you like the track and field watching, Olympic trials are underway and seem to be on NBC sports a good bit.  Of all the things that 🤯 me is the race efforts they do prior to getting to the final heat. And bunch just ran college championships in the past weekend. 

Reminder if you like the track and field watching, Olympic trials are underway and seem to be on NBC sports a good bit.  Of all the things that 🤯 me is the race efforts they do prior to getting to the final heat. And bunch just ran college championships in the past weekend. 
I didn't know who Sha'carri Richardson was before last night, but me thinks we're going to be seeing a lot of her over the next couple months. 

Please update on how far those kids ran.  That legit made me laugh. 

My link
It was a mish-mash.  Some kids had their parents running with them so the parents realized and turned their kids around.  My son and a few other kids went to the turnaround for the 5K (so 1.5ish miles).  Apparently, the police officer at the turnaround piled a bunch of the kids in his police car and drove them back to the start.  Lol

It was a mish-mash.  Some kids had their parents running with them so the parents realized and turned their kids around.  My son and a few other kids went to the turnaround for the 5K (so 1.5ish miles).  Apparently, the police officer at the turnaround piled a bunch of the kids in his police car and drove them back to the start.  Lol
:lmao: that's awesome. Usually when a run is followed by a ride in the cop car, the parents aren't quite as happy.

Rogers Run 5K Race Report

Goal was to try to go sub 20 and beat my 16 year old son in this race.

The start of the race was delayed due to the 1 mile Kids Run having no one to turn the kids around, so those kids kept running!  My youngest son got to the 5K turnaround before getting a ride back to the start with others in a cop car (here’s hoping this is the first and last time he’s in the back of a police cruiser.)

The delay didn’t mess me up too much but we were standing around and all of the sudden it was time to go to the start line and run.  So I tried to run a stride or two to wake the legs up as my warm up had ended probably 30-40 minutes prior.

It was a steamy morning so I felt like I’d be okay.

Mile 1 –6:30 – HR average 156

Goal was to run about 6:25 to 6:28 pace here.  A bunch of kids up front but within 200 yards, I had passed most of them and settled into 8th place.  First ¼ mile I was running 5:50 pace so I slowed it down to get in line with my goal pace.  My son was right on my shoulder and it was clear he was pacing off of me.  The course has some hills near the end of mile 1 so I surged a bit there to keep my pace but also push my son a little bit.

Mile 2 – 6:31 – HR average 168

The first half of this mile has some uphill.  My son fell off my pace on a hill here early in mile 2.  Got to the water stop before the turnaround.  Took a water and dumped it on my head.  I was very hot and breathing heavy. Did the turnaround and my son was probably 5-7 seconds behind me. I was in 4th place at the turnaround and the third place guy was at least 20-30 seconds ahead of me.  I started to push on the way back as there were some downhills.

Mile 3 – 6:28 – HR average 169

This is the part of the 5K that’s just brutal.  I spent most of this time trying to slowly reel in the 3rd place guy, while listening to see if my son was catching me.  I was pretty confident my son wasn’t there (but I wasn’t going to look).  Near the end of mile 3, I was within 5 seconds of the 3rd place guy.

Last 0.1 – 5:48 pace – HR average 173

I pushed a bit extra here and picked up my pace into the finish but the 3rd place guy did the same and I just didn’t have the kick to catch him. Beat my son by about 30 seconds.

Official time 19:59 – 4th overall, 1st in the 50-59 age group.  (I would have come in first in the 40-49 age group as well.)

Happy with this effort on a hot day.  I definitely could get to 19:45 on a flat course, no turnaround and less heat. 

Fun training race this morning.  Best part was my daughter was the official race starter. She's become a "little bit famous" as a local celebrity now.  I asked my wife to bring the make a wish puppy but she wasn't having it. (Probably the right call, but it would have been cute)

What a pleasant surprise to run into @Brony this morning late in my run!  What are the odds?!?  I was doing loops at Busse Woods out in his direction and was doing my last rep at MP ...cutting the SOS workout a little short (heat, conditioning, and a barking groin muscle from earlier in the week).  Our guy was doing a couple loops before heading back north.  I suspect he saw me just before making a turnoff.  Really nice to have a chance to chat for a bit and catch up on things.

SteveC ran about a 2:30 marathon ...fell off his pace over the back half.

Congrats, @SteelCurtain and son!  :pickle:   :pickle:  

What a pleasant surprise to run into @Brony this morning late in my run!  What are the odds?!?  I was doing loops at Busse Woods out in his direction and was doing my last rep at MP ...cutting the SOS workout a little short (heat, conditioning, and a barking groin muscle from earlier in the week).  Our guy was doing a couple loops before heading back north.  I suspect he saw me just before making a turnoff.  Really nice to have a chance to chat for a bit and catch up on things.

SteveC ran about a 2:30 marathon ...fell off his pace over the back half.

Congrats, @SteelCurtain and son!  :pickle:   :pickle:  
Yep, Great to catch up live after all of this time!  Just need @Juxtatarot to get out to Busse some time.  Glad to see you prepping for a real race.  There was a 5K and fun run happening at Busse Woods this morning that you probably saw.  Between that and @-OZ- and @SteelCurtain races, it's great to see things getting back to normal. 

Speaking of, congrats gents on an awesome running day.  Esp. @SteelCurtain nailing his one and only goal.  Made it look too easy.  Got to savor those dad moments even if he let you win for Father's Day 😉

Successful Half-IM completion for @JAA!!    :pickle:  

Kind of middle-of-the-pack with each segment, but that seems reasonable, given his training.  He held steady throughout the HM run.

Yep, Great to catch up live after all of this time!  Just need @Juxtatarot to get out to Busse some time.  Glad to see you prepping for a real race.  

Speaking of, congrats gents on an awesome running day.  Esp. @SteelCurtain nailing his one and only goal.  Made it look too easy.  Got to savor those dad moments even if he let you win for Father's Day 😉
Kick ###, boys!

2021 Patriot Half RR - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6986980739/1

This is my second HIM

TLDR - Very windy to start the day.  Super rough swim, I got pushed around.  Bike headwind for what felt like 40 miles.  Run was waaaaay to hot, prolly 90+ in the sun.  Pretty unhappy with the race and my racing of it.  Not sure I would due this one again.

Swim - Out to the first turn was OK.  I was feeling pretty good and not getting passed.  Made the first left and waves started hitting me.  Like a ####### tsunami.  The waves were coming from the shore out to the middle of the lake so that was messed up.  It kept pushing me to my right, out to the ocean ... I mean middle of the lake.  Gulp after gulp of water.  I was really not enjoying myself.  Worst part was the swim leg was my supposed strength :confused: .  Let me add that Ive raced in the ocean and that was much more enjoyable than this trainwreck.  What truly frustrated me was that sighting is a strength of mine in the water and I couldnt keep my bearings due to the wind.  I swam so much extra my watch had my pace at 1:46/100 and the official results had me at 1:52/100.  Worst part is I knew it and there was nothign I could do about it during the race :cry: .  2 min lost due to sighting

T1 and T2 - I took my time on the transitions.  I was in no rush.  I hadnt raced in a while so I didnt wan to make a mistake.  Had I halfed my T times I could have saved 3:30 per for a total of 7 min.

Bike - Im not good on the bike, what can I say?  I knew that but the disappointing part was that I thought I had made improvements since my IM.  It sure didnt feel like it.  My HR was much higher than my HIM in 2018 (here:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2965305737) and my results were about the same.  I dont know for sure if it was elevation as my stupid watch altimeter seemed to go kerplunk today :thumbdown: .  I did have a couple run-ins with ####### cyclists.  Triathletes are by far the worst sportsman in the world.  Hands down the most selfish and self-serving.  It frustrates me a lot.  On the bike a good portion of it had a significant head wind.  At a couple of turns it became a side wind.  I had never been blown around like that before.  In the end I had the 5th worst bike.  Had I been Middle Of the Pack I would have saved ~15min.  I got a long way to go to be MOP.  The best part of my bike, even today, was my flying dismount.  I continue to get Oooohs and Ahhhhs from everyone.

Run - What happened to my run?  Yes it was hot, but 10:30 pace?  Cmon.  Dont ever take off 4 months of running for achilles tendinosis.  The amount of time to come back is brutal.  I felt so weak on the run it was very very sad.  My Old Prchard Beach HIM run was an 8:51 pace.  Today 10:30.  I know I cant beat myself up over it (too late), but it a tough pill to swallow.  Getting back to the race, it was super hot.  In the sun it had to be way north of 90.  Once we hit like mile 3 all of those mad awesome cyclists started dropping like flies.  Lots started walking and I said to myself if I do one thing today would be no walking.  Come mile 6-7, I started counting the kills.  I dropping 6 or 7 from my age group alone.  I did get passed by a few people, but overall no one was overtaking me on the run cause my bike was so bad ;).  Whats sad is I suffered, like I wanted to walk suffer.  It really must have been the heat as lots of folks gave in.  Had I not passed those folks my day would have been a complete disaster with the poor bike and I could have finished like last 5 in my AG.  My other HIM was a 1:56 time with today it taking me 2:15.  Thats a 20 min difference those non-mathers.  Lets say I could even have split the difference of those times I could have saved 10 minutes.

If I counted up my could-haves and should-haves - 34 total minutes of reasonable time had I not sucked.  That 34 minutes in savings would have moved me up 6 spots.  That would have put me in 21st instead of 27th.  HAHAHAHHAHA ... big ####### deal!!  lol

Time to heal.  Left knee is really unhappy.  Stiff as a board, my strength workouts dont feel like they helped at all.  Such a sad state im in.

2021 Patriot Half RR - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/6986980739/1

This is my second HIM

TLDR - Very windy to start the day.  Super rough swim, I got pushed around.  Bike headwind for what felt like 40 miles.  Run was waaaaay to hot, prolly 90+ in the sun.  Pretty unhappy with the race and my racing of it.  Not sure I would due this one again.

Swim - Out to the first turn was OK.  I was feeling pretty good and not getting passed.  Made the first left and waves started hitting me.  Like a ####### tsunami.  The waves were coming from the shore out to the middle of the lake so that was messed up.  It kept pushing me to my right, out to the ocean ... I mean middle of the lake.  Gulp after gulp of water.  I was really not enjoying myself.  Worst part was the swim leg was my supposed strength :confused: .  Let me add that Ive raced in the ocean and that was much more enjoyable than this trainwreck.  What truly frustrated me was that sighting is a strength of mine in the water and I couldnt keep my bearings due to the wind.  I swam so much extra my watch had my pace at 1:46/100 and the official results had me at 1:52/100.  Worst part is I knew it and there was nothign I could do about it during the race :cry: .  2 min lost due to sighting

T1 and T2 - I took my time on the transitions.  I was in no rush.  I hadnt raced in a while so I didnt wan to make a mistake.  Had I halfed my T times I could have saved 3:30 per for a total of 7 min.

Bike - Im not good on the bike, what can I say?  I knew that but the disappointing part was that I thought I had made improvements since my IM.  It sure didnt feel like it.  My HR was much higher than my HIM in 2018 (here:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2965305737) and my results were about the same.  I dont know for sure if it was elevation as my stupid watch altimeter seemed to go kerplunk today :thumbdown: .  I did have a couple run-ins with ####### cyclists.  Triathletes are by far the worst sportsman in the world.  Hands down the most selfish and self-serving.  It frustrates me a lot.  On the bike a good portion of it had a significant head wind.  At a couple of turns it became a side wind.  I had never been blown around like that before.  In the end I had the 5th worst bike.  Had I been Middle Of the Pack I would have saved ~15min.  I got a long way to go to be MOP.  The best part of my bike, even today, was my flying dismount.  I continue to get Oooohs and Ahhhhs from everyone.

Run - What happened to my run?  Yes it was hot, but 10:30 pace?  Cmon.  Dont ever take off 4 months of running for achilles tendinosis.  The amount of time to come back is brutal.  I felt so weak on the run it was very very sad.  My Old Prchard Beach HIM run was an 8:51 pace.  Today 10:30.  I know I cant beat myself up over it (too late), but it a tough pill to swallow.  Getting back to the race, it was super hot.  In the sun it had to be way north of 90.  Once we hit like mile 3 all of those mad awesome cyclists started dropping like flies.  Lots started walking and I said to myself if I do one thing today would be no walking.  Come mile 6-7, I started counting the kills.  I dropping 6 or 7 from my age group alone.  I did get passed by a few people, but overall no one was overtaking me on the run cause my bike was so bad ;).  Whats sad is I suffered, like I wanted to walk suffer.  It really must have been the heat as lots of folks gave in.  Had I not passed those folks my day would have been a complete disaster with the poor bike and I could have finished like last 5 in my AG.  My other HIM was a 1:56 time with today it taking me 2:15.  Thats a 20 min difference those non-mathers.  Lets say I could even have split the difference of those times I could have saved 10 minutes.

If I counted up my could-haves and should-haves - 34 total minutes of reasonable time had I not sucked.  That 34 minutes in savings would have moved me up 6 spots.  That would have put me in 21st instead of 27th.  HAHAHAHHAHA ... big ####### deal!!  lol

Time to heal.  Left knee is really unhappy.  Stiff as a board, my strength workouts dont feel like they helped at all.  Such a sad state im in.

Awesome to see you gettin some. :banned:  

Brutal day but seriously well done.

We certainly have our share of  #######s, probably more so than runners. Definitely more than ultra runners (generally the most chill of any sport). 

Congrats on the flying dismount. I've never mastered that skill. 

Your pace on the run with the heat is very respectable. Especially given the injuries.

The HIM is a #####, but you knocked it out. 👍👍🏻👍🏿

I didn't know who Sha'carri Richardson was before last night, but me thinks we're going to be seeing a lot of her over the next couple months. 
She's incredible.  Just watched her semifinal with the pointing at the clock.  She just killed everyone.  Seems like a sweet person, too.

Users who are viewing this thread