What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

Just finished the three workout guantlet (in five days) that makes Hanson's tough.

Went with my long run on Saturday, then bounced a 6x800 workout on Monday and finally a 8 mile tempo (at 6:58 pace). I also decided to lift legs after my run today to further push them.

I did today's on the treadmill as it was brutally hot out and it would not have ended well if I attempted to do it outside.

All in all, I'm pleased with how I'm feeling and I can feel the plan is working as prescribed.  Legs are definitely tired and needing a break.  So I get 2 easy days before the grind continues. 

Week 3 of 16 for London.

Just finished the three workout guantlet (in five days) that makes Hanson's tough.

Went with my long run on Saturday, then bounced a 6x800 workout on Monday and finally a 8 mile tempo (at 6:58 pace). I also decided to lift legs after my run today to further push them.

I did today's on the treadmill as it was brutally hot out and it would not have ended well if I attempted to do it outside.

All in all, I'm pleased with how I'm feeling and I can feel the plan is working as prescribed.  Legs are definitely tired and needing a break.  So I get 2 easy days before the grind continues. 

Week 3 of 16 for London.
So good. 

How'd the tempo feel?

I did a flyby of a guy I ran by the other day down here who looked like serious business. Dude runs 70-75m per week, with 1:18hm and 2:42marathon.... Made me think of most you guys. Im going to take him next time Ii see him. Or at least push him into the wooded scene of my latest bear attack.

Quarter pole update

Jan- 185 miles, 31 hours, 5377' elevation, 5 hours strength - began the month returning from ankle problems, ended the month with less severe ankle problem

Feb- 138 miles, 24.25 hours, 5136' elevation, 4.5 hours strength - began the month returning from minor ankle problem, developed back problem mid-month, finished the month healthy and racing

Mar- 201 miles, 33.75 hours, 5912' elevation, 5.75 hours strength - began the month in good shape and ended the same, first time since the accident

While it's refreshing to finally be able to move forward instead of rehabbing I am going through an adjustment period right now. That I've been rolling for > 4 weeks straight wall. So this April Fools Day snow storm - 3" so far, will probably more than double by day's end - couldn't have hit at a better time. I'm gonna do a stepback from now til Wednesday then get rolling again. Usually I come out of that fresher and level up the paces, so hopefully that's what I'll see and I knock out another 200 mile month (but faster) and with more strength work.
Q2 Update

Apr- 171 miles, 29.25 hours, 4315' elevation, 6.75 hours strength - one last hiccup with the bad wheel caused a step back in volume, but hopefully I finally solved the problem. And prepare to be stunned - it's the gym. A year plus of body weight and banded exercises were better than nothing, but it just isn't the same. 

May- 192 miles, 33.75 hours, 6132' elevation, 8.25 hours strength - there were more downs than ups during the first half of the month, but I think that was heavily influenced by restarting at the gym. Successful 10K tempo (39:30) and mile repeat (5:35's) workouts led me to believe the lightbulb may finally be turning on though. That was confirmed via end of month breakthroughs - 14 @ 7:16 aHR 146 and 16.8 @ 7:09 aHR 147. It took more than 10 months, but this month ended leaving me thinking maybe I have finally overcome last summer's accident.

June- 150 miles, 27.25 hours, 4205' elevation, 6.25 hours strength - between the snip and a long weekend away this was substantially more than I thought possible a month prior. Intervals (800's), hills/trails (almost 1k elevation), and distance (14) all came and went relatively inconsequentially. Unfortunately still in the jock though. 

I've mapped out an aggressive plan for July and as a result of a mostly successful second quarter have moved a fall marathon back to the 'maybe' pile. Still getting my body re-acclimated to the gym (angry lower abdominal is this week's soup d'jour), so we'll see how the next 4+ weeks go. I received the bad news about Indy though. That's my wife's birthday weekend and she is training for a half. I tried to spin a Saturday racing in Indy followed by a trek down 74 for the Browns @ Bengals Sunday. To which she responded a few weeks later with wanting to do a weekend in Cincy. I tried! So I'm racing in Cleveland Oct 24 or Oct 31 and hope to decide half or full at the end of the month.

Mileage YTD - 1,038. I suspect I'll keep the 2K streak alive, but it'll be tight as I also suspect regardless how the next 4 months go that I'm gonna take a step back once the weather turns and we lose daylight in November. Mental purposes though - not physical. Between a BQ attempt getting yanked out from under me nearing peak, covid, the accident, and not being in a gym I think a few months of different priorities will do me well.

Q2 516 miles has me comically at 1,010 ytd. Strength stuff fell off somewhat in June (I also stopped spamming strava with my every stretch, you’re welcome). after a very good adherence for awhile. Will pull it back in bc the strength stuff helps me feel less terrible than just running.  I’ll kick off 16 week block in mid July and will keep my easy miles going another couple weeks leading in.  

here's where I am for 2021...

Distance- 919.8 mi

Time- 127h 45m

Elev Gain- 23,629 ft (most of that in the last week)

Runs- 141

I signed floppinho (just turned 14) and I up for a 5k here on the 4th. 

have to work out how it's going to work... he and mom figured I'd be running with him (hoping for him to go 27) while I was figuring to race it myself (20:59 goal). a situation where I didn't talk about it first before jumping to my own plans...

Since we seem to be doing mid-year summaries, I'll add mine.  674 miles with 19,600 ft. of elevation for 2021.  Right about 1/2 of last year's record for 1350 miles with 41,200 ft. of elevation.  Just snuck in at 100.2 miles for June to keep my 100+ mile month streak going at 9 (last September was 99 lol).

Feel a bit in a rut to be honest.  Not sure I'm making much progress as I haven't done much in the way of true workouts (other than the sweat fest long runs).  It doesn't help that my foot has been temperamental when I have tried to push the pace, although I'm cautiously optimistic there.  Starting to go back into the office regularly, so that will eliminate most of my lunch runs and I'll have to reshuffle the schedule.  I think the tentative plan in my head is to maintain through summer and then try a (controlled) burst of quality leading up to the October half (this is last April's half that has been pushed twice).

here's where I am for 2021...

Distance- 919.8 mi

Time- 127h 45m

Elev Gain- 23,629 ft (most of that in the last week)

Runs- 141

I signed floppinho (just turned 14) and I up for a 5k here on the 4th. 

have to work out how it's going to work... he and mom figured I'd be running with him (hoping for him to go 27) while I was figuring to race it myself (20:59 goal). a situation where I didn't talk about it first before jumping to my own plans...
Does floppinho really want to run this? Maybe he was just trying to be nice to his old man.

Does floppinho really want to run this? Maybe he was just trying to be nice to his old man.
He does. Considering xcountry when he starts HS in the fall, but has never run a race. Figured this would be a low key way for him to get a taste. We jogged a 5k yesterday @9:10 pace which was hard for him only because it was humid af. And because he's a lazy, out of shape *******.

While I havent exactly trained for this, I was interested to see how I'd do in race conditions.

But it looks like I'll be running with him, so I might consider the costume part of this instead of AG hardware.

He does. Considering xcountry when he starts HS in the fall, but has never run a race. Figured this would be a low key way for him to get a taste. We jogged a 5k yesterday @9:10 pace which was hard for him only because it was humid af. And because he's a lazy, out of shape *******.

While I havent exactly trained for this, I was interested to see how I'd do in race conditions.

But it looks like I'll be running with him, so I might consider the costume part of this instead of AG hardware.
Floppo racing with his kid.  Medal at all costs.

So …I’m not a pancake, but one minute earlier…

Running the hilly country roads near our cottage today, doing two loops of some of the hilliest roads.  On the first loop, I’m approaching a T intersection.  I’m on the left side of the road (facing traffic) and maybe 100-150 yds from the T with a plan to turn right. Just then, I see a big truck hauling a full load of top soil coming front the right as it starts a left turn toward me.  I can tell immediately that he’s turning waaaay too fast.  I can see the truck leaning right, leaning right, then the left wheels leave the ground.  In slow motion, the truck hangs at a 45 degree angle for a few seconds …then tips over on its side and slides down a small slope of someone’s big front yard.  Two guys in an SUV pull over just before I get there, and they climb up to open the driver’s door as he climbs out and hops down, apparently unharmed.   With those guys there and the homeowner walking over, I run on as the really isn’t anything I can do.  Crazy.

Running the hilly country roads near our cottage today, doing two loops of some of the hilliest roads.  On the first loop, I’m approaching a T intersection.  I’m on the left side of the road (facing traffic) and maybe 100-150 yds from the T with a plan to turn right. Just then, I see a big truck hauling a full load of top soil coming front the right as it starts a left turn toward me.  I can tell immediately that he’s turning waaaay too fast.  I can see the truck leaning right, leaning right, then the left wheels leave the ground.  In slow motion, the truck hangs at a 45 degree angle for a few seconds …then tips over on its side and slides down a small slope of someone’s big front yard.  Two guys in an SUV pull over just before I get there, and they climb up to open the driver’s door as he climbs out and hops down, apparently unharmed.   With those guys there and the homeowner walking over, I run on as the really isn’t anything I can do.  Crazy.
I would have soiled my pants with a full load.

Glad you're ok.

The half marathon training you’ve been doing works well for 5Ks too. Sounds like you’re making the right decision but hopefully he has a good experience and wants to do the next one without accompaniment. 

The half marathon training you’ve been doing works well for 5Ks too. Sounds like you’re making the right decision but hopefully he has a good experience and wants to do the next one without accompaniment. 
Oh- totally on both counts.

Im not exactly race-ready only in terms of doing a normal couple training weeks leading up to it...even though "only" a 5k. And tbh, the speed work I've been doing has been a little light for the distance. 

But ultimately its about the kid and making sure he enjoys it. Mom and floppinha say they're going to wake up early and come with us, which should make him feel pretty good when he finishes in front of them...and maybe get 10yp floppinha interested too.

Man, talk about a prime shoveling opportunity......

Man, talk about a prime shoveling opportunity......
They did have shovels out to keep the road clean from the spillover as the front loader dumped loads of dirt into the haulers.  I should have interrupted my run to join them for a bit …shunning?  Ruveling?

You’re seriously running Indy, right? Plenty of time to de-suck if you get in the training.
that's the plan I'm on... For a nice first quarter start, 2nd quarter was terrible. But ended with a little bump to get going again in Q3. 

@ChiefD - we should start a little accountability/support group for the 2 of us. We have pretty similar yearly stats right now although we got there in different ways. Let's get on it! 

Through June 30, I'm at 1,093 miles, so I'm a little behind pace for hitting 2,500 again this year.

Body is feeling pretty old and banged up, the biggest issue right now being some soreness in my left glute/hamstring.  With 3 weeks to go until my race, I've pretty much abandoned any speedwork and really just hope to get to the start line as healthy as possible.  Running another sub-3 might be a pipe dream at this point, but with the downhill course, who knows?

I'll probably take a couple of weeks off afterwards in an attempt to let things heal up a bit, which will give me about 13 weeks to get ready for Indy, with Boston being throw in there, too, as a training run.

Interesting to go shorter taper but makes sense if you think you can freshen up. You can hit 2 longer mid week goal MP runs in the next 2 weeks to get more confidence at goal pace and perhaps a 3rd a bit shorter.   Like warm up, 6-8 at pace, cool down for the first one to total like 8-12 miles. And the second one up the goal pace miles to 8-10 to total like 10-14.

One more long run this weekend or next.

That fast finish long run you did is the truth, use that and believe.  
I'm listening, GB. Mid week MP finished and long run done today (best weather and schedule time).

Plan another MP run next week and maybe try the downhill again, but doing it early.

Felt decent today. Not as good as last week, but still not bad. 

3 more weeks.....

Through June 30, I'm at 1,093 miles, so I'm a little behind pace for hitting 2,500 again this year.

Body is feeling pretty old and banged up, the biggest issue right now being some soreness in my left glute/hamstring.  With 3 weeks to go until my race, I've pretty much abandoned any speedwork and really just hope to get to the start line as healthy as possible.  Running another sub-3 might be a pipe dream at this point, but with the downhill course, who knows?

I'll probably take a couple of weeks off afterwards in an attempt to let things heal up a bit, which will give me about 13 weeks to get ready for Indy, with Boston being throw in there, too, as a training run.
saw that about your glute. sucks. hope you can get yourself right by race-day

I'm listening, GB. Mid week MP finished and long run done today (best weather and schedule time).

Plan another MP run next week and maybe try the downhill again, but doing it early.

Felt decent today. Not as good as last week, but still not bad. 

3 more weeks.....
That’s some good #### and baller move to drop LMF.
Glad you got a cooler morning to take a confidence building run. 

Mid-year summary for me:

Hope to be able to run again, soon.  Rehab going much slower than PT anticipated.  $250 race entry fee for 10Jul getting flushed.

This arms-only BS is really dragging.

2021 Mid Year Summary

I suck. The end.

Sounds about right.  I started "running" again this week, keeping the hr at 140 or below so it's a few tenths of a mile, then walk, rinse repeat until I get to about three miles.  Literally starting from scratch.  Then yesterday I stop to drop down a really steep, 20' section of trail to get to the river so Summit can get a drink and cool off, and as I'm yelling at him to wait before going into the water I lose my focus on the trail.  I go flying.  Glasses and visor scatter, I caught myself with my hands to keep my face off the ground but because of the steep downslope my entire body slammed into the ground.  Right quad totally sore, hopefully just the three giant purple bruises and not something more structural.  Right lower rib cage hurts, I think just bruised but it sure doesn't make sleeping very easy.  And cuts and scratches on my hands and arms.  Awesome.  I suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds about right.  I started "running" again this week, keeping the hr at 140 or below so it's a few tenths of a mile, then walk, rinse repeat until I get to about three miles.  Literally starting from scratch.  Then yesterday I stop to drop down a really steep, 20' section of trail to get to the river so Summit can get a drink and cool off, and as I'm yelling at him to wait before going into the water I lose my focus on the trail.  I go flying.  Glasses and visor scatter, I caught myself with my hands to keep my face off the ground but because of the steep downslope my entire body slammed into the ground.  Right quad totally sore, hopefully just the three giant purple bruises and not something more structural.  Right lower rib cage hurts, I think just bruised but it sure doesn't make sleeping very easy.  And cuts and scratches on my hands and arms.  Awesome.  I suck.
Hope its nothing, gb. Lookng forward to seeing you get back in this.

Today's filing in the "odd things observed during a run" folder:

Framed Kareem Hunt Chief's jersey.  It was on the floor of the wall rather than hung up, so maybe that means it was on its way out.

So good. 

How'd the tempo feel?
Hey, the tempo felt decent.  I wanted an average incline of 1% so most of the first half was 1.5 - 2%.  I was definitely pushing hard.  Then I backed off and did 0-1% on the back half.  It was doable and probably could have gone a bit longer without major issues. 

I lifted legs afterwards so my legs the last couple days have been beat up pretty good.  This high mileage plan is pretty intense. I don't see a day off at all in the next 9 weeks.  I will eventually take one but for now, my run streak sits at 55 days.

Been trying for 45 minutes to free the bear, pre-run. Have stuff to do this morning, so just lost miles. Damn thing is hibernating until the Springtime of mid-run.

Any chance you can get out and run a mile or two near your apartment and then go in a free the bear?  Sometimes a little run with some water gets things moving for me.
Thats what I ended up doing this morning. Easier to do here in MD than in NYC where running around my apt means city streets/no bueno.

It was already 78 degrees this morning when I rolled out of the WI cottage and laced up the shoes.   Goal was to do a hilly 7-mile run at approx 10 min pace.   Last mile was way too sweaty but felt good overall.

I’m used to running on flat Illinois land every day, so the hills take me awhile to get used to.  But it’s so much more fun than running every step on flat ground.  That gets old.

Would love to see 14yo floppinho get an age-group podium tomorrow....but that would rely on some slow or no kids. Would also like to see him hit <27:00

15k trail run today kind of kicked my butt. Will do a mini race report sometime when not on my phone. 
ok... how about now...

D.IN.O. 15k trail race #5 - Muscatatuck State Park

Got up, had a little breakfast, took a Monumental dump, picked up a buddy running the 5k and trucked the hour drive +/- to Southeast Indiana. It was a beautiful morning, especially considering it is July 3rd. At race start it was 63* with a dew point of 56* and even at race end it was still just 70* with a DP of 60. About 98% of the race is also nicely shaded traveling through the woods. 

Opening 5k

First part of the race is the 5k course which ends basically where we started. The first 1/4 mile or so is actually in the open through a field and along the road before taking a hard left into the woods. The rest of the first mile was comparatively easy as it was almost all downhill and I'm on fresh legs. Mile 2 wasn't bad with some rolling hills but that wouldn't seem the same when I came through here later. Mile 3 did have a pretty good climb from the ravine/creek back up to the 5k finish. Per the clock as I passed by there I was at about 30:30 or so which would have been good for about 35 or so overall and 3rd in my AG if I was just running the 5k. But I wasn't...

2nd 5k-ish (little more)

This is the "15k only" portion of the race. We head off more or less to the north for a loop before rejoining the 5k portion where we went from road to woods. This section is something fun. You basically would go from the highest point back down to the lowest, cross a creek, then climb back up to the highest points in the park, then do it again - basically did that 3 times over the course of about 2 miles or so. The last mile-ish of this section gave you about the only break you had all day. It was still twisty but was about the only area that resembled anything flat. Per their markings and a little creative math/strava hunting I should have been just a little over an hour at the 10k point - i.e. fairly consistent still - per their markings, I was doing about 10 minute miles. 

3rd 5k-ish (a little less)

I knew the trail rejoined the opening part but couldn't have really told you when I did until I saw the "mile 7" marking on the ground just a little before the "mile 1" marking. I had seen them the first time through and all. Well, from that mile 7 marking until the mile 8 marking, I did my best to try to eat it. I nearly fell over rocks or roots several times, including one really bad one that would have been ugly - my landing pad would have been a big nasty patch of limestone but I stayed on my feet through the mile. Also had some guy breathing down my neck and had been there for miles. I had a love/hate thing going on with him. He was pushing me on but I hated that he made me pace us. That said, I knew if/when he passed me I didn't have the mental strength to stay with him. Well, he didn't pass me until we were between the 8 mile mark and the 3 mile mark - that's when I took a nice little tumble across the ground. He checked on me and was going to help me up but I said I was good and popped back up. We exchanged comments on how gracefully I managed to fall - it was pretty good with a tucked shoulder and roll. But he was in front of me by the time I regained my feet and composure. I kept him kind of close but we were back into the final mile which had several up/down spots that I didn't have the legs to run as effectively as I'd like and the last mile was basically uphill, which I was as much "power hiking" as actually running. 

Official time: 1:35:20, 59 of 112, 8 of 16 AG

I felt great through 5k. And was still going strong through about 6.5 miles or so. Those last 2.75 miles or so were kind of brutal. My feet weren't getting off the ground high enough, my legs felt like some weird combo of jelly and lead. Totally a fun experience all the way around, as all of these have been. Also, the past couple I had been pretty careful with my pacing to be able to maintain a constant effort throughout. I went out a little harder today to see how I could do and if I could hold on. Really wanted to be right at 1:30 but just couldn't keep it together for the whole thing. 

How are you feeling post avalanche?
Quad feeling better, I think probably a slight pull and bruised. But ribs worse today than yesterday. Haven’t slept well, hoping it’s just the moving/yard work stuff that I can’t put off aggravating it.  Heather kind of wants me to go get it checked out, but it’s only mild pain on a deep inhale, nothing sharp. And from what Gian’s esteemed colleague Dr Google says, there’s not much you can do about bruised or cracked ribs other than time and pain meds.  And don’t fall again. So I’ll work on that. 

Raining today, fireworks postponed, haven't done my 7 miler in a while with the heat last week, and wife/kid went out for a bit so seemed like a good day to extend my long run. After 100 minutes of MAFfy goodness I found out that my treadmill just stops after 99:59.  That was kind of anticlimactic.  Feel pretty good, hopefully this translates into some improvement on my outdoor run next time I get out there.  

July 4th 5K in Ocean Pines. No idea the official name...250ish racers.
This was great. Perfect Temps (upper 60s, mild humidity), no wind, nice open race crowd. 

After forgetting to hit the watch through the start (got caught up in the moment), I started us a little hot (following a mom and her 3 girls, 7ish) in low 8s, but pulled back quickly to mid-high 8s at a pace floppinho said felt comfortable.

My plan was to push a little harder each mile (depending on how he was feeling) and have him finish strong.

The field thinned at about a mile as people settled into their race paces. A woman in red passed us and we tagged along behind her at a comfortable pace for the duration of the mile...low 8s.

When we hit 2 miles, I let Inho know and pushed a little harder...but he pushed back as it being too fast. So I slowed it a tiny bit, but still used the woman in red to pace us, slowly ratcheting up the pace to see if he noticed. He didn't. So when she started to slow a bit, we passed her and saw the mom and 3 girls up ahead. No way was I going to let a gaggle of little girls younger than his sister (kick ### little girls, btw, but regardless...) beat him, so I pushed a bit more into the high 7s amd let him kick it out to the finish.

25:22 official time. 56th out of 251. 

Very, very proud of the kid for pushing so hard on flatline zero training. The picture right after the finish line (strava) shows it :lol:

This was great. Perfect Temps (upper 60s, mild humidity), no wind, nice open race crowd. 

After forgetting to hit the watch through the start (got caught up in the moment), I started us a little hot (following a mom and her 3 girls, 7ish) in low 8s, but pulled back quickly to mid-high 8s at a pace floppinho said felt comfortable.

My plan was to push a little harder each mile (depending on how he was feeling) and have him finish strong.

The field thinned at about a mile as people settled into their race paces. A woman in red passed us and we tagged along behind her at a comfortable pace for the duration of the mile...low 8s.

When we hit 2 miles, I let Inho know and pushed a little harder...but he pushed back as it being too fast. So I slowed it a tiny bit, but still used the woman in red to pace us, slowly ratcheting up the pace to see if he noticed. He didn't. So when she started to slow a bit, we passed her and saw the mom and 3 girls up ahead. No way was I going to let a gaggle of little girls younger than his sister (kick ### little girls, btw, but regardless...) beat him, so I pushed a bit more into the high 7s amd let him kick it out to the finish.

25:22 official time. 56th out of 251. 

Very, very proud of the kid for pushing so hard on flatline zero training. The picture right after the finish line (strava) shows it :lol:
If he can do that on zero training, get that kid in track ASAP. 

If he can do that on zero training, get that kid in track ASAP. 
thanks!

to be fair- we jogged a couple miles about a month ago, and 5k on wed (we've jogged together a handful of times over the last year too). not exactly "training" but he's moved his legs in a running motion a couple times. 

I wasn't sure how he'd handle getting pushed a little- usually is a no-go if it's just him and me out for a jog, but I was hoping the race conditions would help. I think it did, although when I'd say things like- "only a mile to go, let's pick it up a little... you've got this", he'd respond with "I don't care about my time". And I don't think he really does. But regardless, really nice for me to see him push himself physically the way he does academically and musically.

thanks!

to be fair- we jogged a couple miles about a month ago, and 5k on wed (we've jogged together a handful of times over the last year too). not exactly "training" but he's moved his legs in a running motion a couple times. 

I wasn't sure how he'd handle getting pushed a little- usually is a no-go if it's just him and me out for a jog, but I was hoping the race conditions would help. I think it did, although when I'd say things like- "only a mile to go, let's pick it up a little... you've got this", he'd respond with "I don't care about my time". And I don't think he really does. But regardless, really nice for me to see him push himself physically the way he does academically and musically.
The end race picture says it all. I know that look well. Negative split like a boss, too.

Oh, and glad you had a nice jog. Hopefully you didn't get lost at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread