What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

anyone want to try the ridiculous core workout program i just started

https://youtu.be/pcYYUU5tIxU

Bring Sally up bring Sally down push up planks with side knees/plank waves just to spice it up.  Day 1 I got through 18 of the 30 before quitting 
One thing I noticed was that I always led with my right arm when I went from plank to pushup.  Tried switching to my left and it's much harder.  Will try to remember to do that the next few times or at least alternate.  Through 7 days, I did 18, 23, 27, then complete four days in a row.  

I know many of you hate running with your phone, but there are a couple good reasons to:  Best case, it might save your life if you're immoble/lost.  Worst-case, it might help searchers find your body.

Really sad case here.  Left his phone in his car.  

https://sfist.com/2021/07/22/missing-berkeley-runner-philip-kreycik/

Or if you really hate running with your phone, then splurge on a LTE-capable watch, like @gruecd.  In this case (given then heat), they would have only found it (and clothing) in a puddle of melted Grue. 

I know many of you hate running with your phone, but there are a couple good reasons to:  Best case, it might save your life if you're immoble/lost.  Worst-case, it might help searchers find your body.

Really sad case here.  Left his phone in his car.  

https://sfist.com/2021/07/22/missing-berkeley-runner-philip-kreycik/

Or if you really hate running with your phone, then splurge on a LTE-capable watch, like @gruecd.  In this case (given then heat), they would have only found it (and clothing) in a puddle of melted Grue. 
I've thought about this before. I usually don't run with mine but there have been times that I wish I had it with me for one reason or another. But it hasn't made me find a solution for it yet. 

I've thought about this before. I usually don't run with mine but there have been times that I wish I had it with me for one reason or another. But it hasn't made me find a solution for it yet. 
Yeah, I used to not ever take mine. My wife asked me too, mainly so they can find me if I die. 

I also wear a Road ID around my wrist with emergency phone numbers printed on it. 

and for the record, I've never been more irritated to not have my phone with me than the day I was running on unknown trails a month or 2 ago and basically went in circles for a decent amount of time before finally just going cross country/trailblazing back to where I knew I wanted/needed to be. 

The shorts I use makes carrying the phone insignificant (zippered back pocket, just above the tailbone).  So many times I forget that it's there, I take off my shorts after my run, and they drop to the floor hard enough to worry that I damaged my phone.

And yeah, having offline maps downloaded to it has saved me from getting lost a few times (ala @The Iguana).

Yeah, I used to not ever take mine. My wife asked me too, mainly so they can find me if I die. 

I also wear a Road ID around my wrist with emergency phone numbers printed on it. 
Also, you might need the phone to call for help for someone else you come across.

This is kind of like the "I don't wear a seatbelt because it's [uncomfortable / wrinkles my clothes]" argument.  Safety is worth a little inconvenience.  Especially when you can make the inconvenience trivial.

The shorts I use makes carrying the phone insignificant (zippered back pocket, just above the tailbone).  So many times I forget that it's there, I take off my shorts after my run, and they drop to the floor hard enough to worry that I damaged my phone.

And yeah, having offline maps downloaded to it has saved me from getting lost a few times (ala @The Iguana).
Doesn't the phone get fully wet from excessive sweat? 

I just carry my phone in my hand on all my runs.  I don't even notice it.  :oldunsure:
This was me until the watch. Didnt really notice it either. Rainy days I put it in a ziplock...was definitely helpful for runs in new/uncharted territory and for the pics (always love seeing the pics on strava). Also thought I'd be able use it to pay for anything along the way as needed: from gatorade to uber/subway. Also useful for touching base with the wife if needed...or getting yelled at for taking so long on the run

I really need to order a new pair of shorts or two.  What size do you use?  Hard to know where to focus on their sizing grid.

ALways wear my Road ID.  Helpful to have info in there about our summer cottage location or when we travel ...but I could be two blocks from home and no one would know.

I have a pair of Asics and Brooks 5" shorts with only the back pocket. Asics isnt big enough for my phone, Brooks pocket is deeper and stuff ends up bouncing around too much back there. 

Your phone doesnt bounce with those?

I have a pair of Asics and Brooks 5" shorts with only the back pocket. Asics isnt big enough for my phone, Brooks pocket is deeper and stuff ends up bouncing around too much back there. 

Your phone doesnt bounce with those?
No, the phone doesn't bounce around at all.  But at the expense of bigger phones perhaps being a tight fit.  I have a Pixel 3 (non-XL) in a slimline case and it fits borderline snugly. 

These shorts also have side/standard pockets where I keep my snot rags.  Very convenient for that.

I really need to order a new pair of shorts or two.  What size do you use?  Hard to know where to focus on their sizing grid.
I have a 31" waist and wear a medium.  They fit perfectly.  5" leg length and my wife mocks them for being too short.  But I just point her to Walmsley, with no effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the phone doesn't bounce around at all.  But at the expense of bigger phones perhaps being a tight fit.  I have a Pixel 3 (non-XL) in a slimline case and it fits borderline snugly. 

These shorts also have side/standard pockets where I keep my snot rags.  Very convenient for that.
I have the Pixel 3a. hmmmm...

I usually keep a keyring in there. race day (I've only had one race), I put a gel. I might try these out.

I used to run with a fuel belt, keeping drinks and then gel, cc, id, cash in the pouch. tried it out recently (15 years old) and it was bouncier than I remembered and not big enough for my phone. 

Bib numbers:

@gianmarco  1620

@gruecd  1613

there is a tracking app link on the jack & jill marathon page. I also have ms gians bib number so i can keep you posted.

race time is 6:30 am west coast time. I will also post yan’s garmin link when i get it.

Good luck you guys!
:pickle:

Got a good feeling for the gians.

Looks like 50s-60s from 6-10am...perfect.

My long run just now...not great. Beautiful morning, but entire body wasnt feeling it. Even the watch stopped.

But I felt like I was absorbing slow, sucky energy for our heroes so that they could go out and kick butt with nothing but fast, positive energy. And grue.

:popcorn:

We'll be watching our grandsons most of the day, so counting on you guys to give frequent updates here.  Always fun to follow!!!

I’ll be in a hockey rink for the next hour and a half, so probably won’t be able to post an update. Will try to, though. 

Pace going up and heart rate going down. He was running a little hot there. Hopefully just early race nerves. Let’s see if he settles in now.

9:04 avg pace now. He’s picked it up and his HR is 158. Through 4.5 miles. 

Awesome job Gian.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread