What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

I feel like we are in the re-entry stage of Apollo 13 where they lose radio contact for awhile.  Waiting....waiting...

Hes been battling glutes.... I'd guess they heated up and hes backed off.
Yeah, glute/hamstring was barking pretty much from the jump. To be honest, if my wife and baby girl hadn’t been waiting for me at the finish, there’s a good chance that I would’ve dropped at the half. As it was, I just backed off the pace so I could finish without really messing myself up.

Not thrilled with the time, but given that I was undertrained, overweight, and injured, I’ll take it.

Yeah, glute/hamstring was barking pretty much from the jump. To be honest, if my wife and baby girl hadn’t been waiting for me at the finish, there’s a good chance that I would’ve dropped at the half. As it was, I just backed off the pace so I could finish without really messing myself up.

Not thrilled with the time, but given that I was undertrained, overweight, and injured, I’ll take it.
Thats the spirit, tubby!

2021 Jack and Jill Marathon Race Report

Sorry, this is from my phone and will probably get long. I won't put paces and HR for now as I'll do this in sections.  Buildup to the race was well documented. After getting here, ate like a pig on Thursday so yesterday I really tried to reign it in a bit. I was also dumping a lot of fluid yesterday (peeing all day long) so I at least knew I was hydrating well. Slept decently last night, up this morning at 4am and out the door at 5. The entourage was my wife, Grue, and a friend of ours from St. Louis that was running her first marathon. She's been running with my wife a lot (another Asian lady, so....) and her fitness/HR is ridiculously good at baseline. For example, at a given pace right now, I'm over 10 BPM higher than my wife. And our friend was almost 10 BPM below the Mrs. The issue for her was that she never ran more than 20 MPW. So she trained with us somewhat, followed along what we did, and successfully and consistently got 35 mpw for the last 2 months. The plan was that her and I would actually run together with a goal of sub 4 and ideally that 9:00 pace. I knew fitness wise she was in better shape but she'd never done a long run prior to 2 months ago. She did do a couple 16s, struggled with the first one, did much better with the second.

Anyway, some yogurt and a muffin this morning for me. A little coffee, some old beet juice, and a couple salt tabs. GU loaded up in my flask and that was it.  Wished Grue and the Mrs. good luck and then lined up with my running partner. It's chilly at 54 at the top where we start which was perfect. Gun goes off...LFG.

Miles 1-3 -- The Tunnel

After about a quarter mile start, we head into the tunnel. Headlamp on. The tunnel actually sucks because the ground isn't even with a ridge in the middle. Lots of puddles and you need to watch your step. No GPS so running by feel. My HR was showing high but I felt good so we settled in what was probably about a 9:15-9:20 pace. I actually hit a hole about a mile in and tweaked my left hip. It wasn't terrible but I was a little worried it might become a factor later. Luckily it did not. Rest of the tunnel was uneventful. Emerged into the light, dropped the light into a bag and headed down the trail. 

Miles 4-9.

What a view. As I'll mention later, this race is incredible. I highly recommend it. Anyway, we settled into a really nice groove together. As you guys noticed, pace picked up and HR dropped. I wasn't thrilled with it in the high 150s but I also know I've been there lately and truly felt really really good. We chatted, we were both just cruising. Unfortunately, the GPS on our watches wasn't lining up with the mile markers. So, I started seeing these paces in the mid 8's and it didn't feel like we were going that fast. I wasn't sure if we could trust them. Unfortunately, I set up my Garmin to have overall average pace along with lap pace and then total distance and HR. I didn't realize I had removed total time from the only screen that I had it on so I couldn't see what that was. So I started asking her at each mile what the total time was and then calculating it at every marker. By mile 6 and 7 I realized we were truly running that fast. But at that point we still felt good so I just went with it. You'll see how this factors in later on. Of note, we stopped to quickly walk each aid station that was on the odd miles. Anyway, cruising downhill and feeling good.

Miles 10-14

Something happened all of the sudden at mile 10. I could feel that I wasn't feeling as "comfy", looked at my HR and saw it was in the high 160s. That was no bueno at this point in the race. I'm trying to see if I can just relax and get it down. I take my gel at 11 so I can drink water (last one was at 5). Nothing is working and I know I'm heading for impending disaster. But I've also been running with her now for half the race. Finally at mile 14 I told her to just go on without me because I need to slow down a bit. I thought to myself that it's likely not going to matter at this point, but if I could stave off the death march as long as possible, I needed to act now. Mentally, I was not in a good spot here. How stupid could I be to go out this hot. I know better. She starts pulling away, I'm happy for her, but for me it's time to put my head down and do some work.

Miles 15-18

I know I slowed down a little but that HR kept going up. Decision time was whether to keep going where I'm at or really cut it back. I figured if I could do the next 3 miles at this pace, I'll reassess around mile 19 when I've got a little over an hour left.  This was a hard stretch as I was working pretty hard but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I've been in that pain cave before so I knew I could push through later. This wasn't it. But mentally I knew it was coming.

Miles 19-25

This was it. Unfortunately what happened here was the legs started getting exhausted. Quads tightening up. This was around the time it happened last marathon too. Here we go again. But, just keep running and don't walk. I just kept telling myself that. I'm looking down at my watch and I'm seeing paces in the mid 9s. It's all I can do no matter what I tried. The HR actually started to come back down to only the low and mid 170s. People are walking around me. Not me. But, here's the big issues that came up. After taking a GU at mile 15, I was trying to decide when to take the next one. I decided on mile 19 because I didn't want to wait until 21 to have some water with it. By mile 20, my stomach just felt full. I was a little thirsty, but nothing I couldn't push through. So I skipped the aid station at 21 for a drink to let my stomach empty a bit. I get to mile 23, and there's only one volunteer. And he had no ####### drinks on the table. I was PISSED. So now I had to wait until 25. And I was ####### thirsty as hell at this point. My last drink was at 19. 

The other bad part was my GPS was off by almost half a mile now. Seeing my mile splits and then not seeing the marker for a few minutes was just ####### with me. And at this point I'm trying to calculate if I can get in under 4 hours. Except I have no total time on my watch. So I had to look at my regular watch and figured I need to get in by 10:30. And as I'm doing the math, it's looking less likely I can do it as the splits were coming across. From mile 20-24 it was looking less and less likely with each passing minute I was getting in under 4. My legs weren't working. I'm thirsty as hell. I just wanted to just walk and say #### it. But I realized if I was wrong, I would regret that immensely. So, time to get to mile 25 and see what I need.

Mile 25 - 26.2

I have about 10 minutes on my watch until 10:30. But I got a text from @MAC_32that I saw on my watch about 8 minutes earlier. "HTFU". That means I still have a shot. I put my head down and start doing whatever I can to go faster. I'm passing people. Everything hurts. I'm making disgusting noises. And then I see my friend. I'm catching up to her. I'll be damned if I'm not going to help her get in under 4 hours and also beat her and show her how to run this thing. I catch up and tap her on the shoulder. I say "let's go". I don't even look back and pass by her. I don't give her a chance to discuss. We are about 6/10ths away, I think, and all I can think of is I'm showing her what to do and I'm showing you guys here I can still drop the hammer at the end. 

I don't really remember the last half mile. My wife told me they were there at the end cheering us on but I had no idea. I could only focus on the finish. I could tell people were cheering because I was running HARD and I must have looked like a maniac. But I looked at my watch and I knew I was getting in. 

Crossed the mat, hit my watch, grabbed water and a banana and stumbled off to the side for a real proper Gian'ing. It was the longest one to date. I couldn't move. I think bugs started crawling on me and I didn't care. 

Anyway, I haven't looked at much else. I know I got in under 4. I'll check stuff in a bit, but right now I'm just exhausted. My legs can barely move. As bad as that race was with @gruecd, this was even worse. But I left everything I had out there. I never walked because I was tired. I'll take it.

As for the Mrs., so ####### proud of her. Fitness wise she was in great shape. Legs were fried at mile 22 and she didn't have it left. Needs to figure out that part of the puzzle but she is still a BQ runner getting in under 3:50. 

Time to rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I haven't looked at much else. I know I got in under 4. I'll check stuff in a bit, but right now I'm just exhausted. My legs can barely move. As bad as that race was with @gruecd, this was even worse. But I left everything I had out there. I never walked because I was tired. I'll take it.
Great race.  Great RR.  And sub-4.  Helping your wife BQ.  Helping your friend bring it home.  So awesome.

Sorry I missed the live stream this morning, but thrilled to catch-up and read this report.  

Savour your beer tonight.  Big #BMF dinner tonight -- all of you.  Kick ### and congratulations!

Great race.  Great RR.  And sub-4.  Helping your wife BQ.  Helping your friend bring it home.  So awesome.

Sorry I missed the live stream this morning, but thrilled to catch-up and read this report.  

Savour your beer tonight.  Big #BMF dinner tonight -- all of you.  Kick ### and congratulations!
Thanks, GB.

Friend got in under 4 too. I had no idea I had that much buffer or I probably wouldn't have finished like that. I thought it was coming down to the seconds. So dumb. 

Also, weather a complete non factor. Mostly shaded, sun at your back. Just beautiful. 

It is a very gradual downhill but it's so nice to run on. And I'm pretty sure it still wrecked my quads. That's what I get for doing no strength training to prepare. 

Users who are viewing this thread