What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

I'm so sorry, @JShare87.  I would've done the exact same thing.  I was never a dog person, but my wife convinced me to get Misia almost 6 years ago, and now I'm the guy who'd literally run into a burning building to save her.  I won't go so far as to turn vegan ( :P ), but she's also made me see animals differently.

I'd be an absolute mess just like you.  Frankly, it says a lot about your character that you even thought about the "commitment" you made to @gianmarco and me.  I know you already know this, but we both completely understand and would've done the exact same thing under the circumstances.  Remember the good times, and like I told Chief, you know how to reach me if you need a sympathetic ear.  Hang in there, GB.

Good luck actually finding on tv between the multiple channels - here is the daily events/rounds for Olympic track and field.  Probably a better detailed sched somewhere but I am yet to find.

https://theathletic.com/news/2021-olympics-us-track-and-field-medal-contenders-schedule-full-team/BzD9FwrtwmX4
This guy made a daily sched, subject to change I assume.  Sorry it’s in EST for those of you elsewhere. 
https://twitter.com/curtis_beach/status/1420416042606551040?s=21

Sorry to hear @JShare87. You made the absolute right call to stay home and be there for your pup. 

Dogs are so great - they literally give us everything and expect nothing in return.  I'm so glad you got 15 years with Honey.  She was there every step of the way for you, and you for her every step of the way.

May she rest in peace. Prayers to you and Mrs. Jshare87.  

Honey has really changed my life. She is the most special Jack Russell pup in all the land. We have another dog, and he is a typical dog, but Honey is different. She’s like a real person. She’s the reason I am a Vegan. She showed me how special animals truly are. I just empathize with her feelings so much. She has feelings like a person. She gets lonely when my wife or I aren’t there. Which is why I never travel, I always stay back home while my wife is away to comfort Honey. She hates loud noises. She has to be constantly touching one of us at all times. 

My wife and I still miss Buddy.  We didn't deserve him.  And humans don't deserve dogs.

My wife is vegetarian, and I just flipped to pescatarian (with the hopes of further going to vegetarian), all for the same reasons as you.

We have two cats now, plus one foster.  

Today is a horrible day for you and your wife, but you're doing what's best for Honey.  Good luck today, and you're in my and my wife's thoughts.  Hopefully Honey and Buddy meet on other side of the rainbow bridge.

sorry to hear @JShare87. We got a little guy around 4 years ago and the attachment runs deep.   That suffering would be such a hard thing to go through.  Wish you well and hoping that Honey has a miracle up her collar.  

Thank you for all the well wishes. Our little lady went so peaceful today. My wife held her, and I was by her face to comfort her. Happy for Honey that she’s no longer in pain or suffering and that everything went flawless to get her to that point. Really sad for us. We are just realizing that Honey filled our house with so much love. It really doesn’t feel like our home without her in it. Our other dog Butters is amazing in his own way, but he is a boy and kind of a loner. He just doesn’t fill that void of love left by Honey. Having a shadow, cuddle partner, friend to talk to, someone to care for, and someone to always need you for 15 years while always being by one of our sides really has us feeling empty without her. 

So sorry to hear about Honey, @JShare87.  Losing a dear pet truly is like losing part of the family.  My thoughts are with you and the mrs.  Not to be lost in all of this ...I hope your Covid experiences are mild and lead to quick and full recovery.  It all makes for a really tough summer for you.   :kicksrock:

I last ran on Sunday- have been trying to lay off the achilles and doing heel drops and rolling out the calves. Thought I was feeling better in the legs while moving around yesterday- both Achilles were painful and limiting my walking movement earlier in the week. Played a little tennis with the kids this morning and *bam*, Achilles are back to barking again.

I wanted to do a 10-12ish mile slow run in the am tomorrow...might shrink that to 6-8 or less depending on how things feel.

I really don't want this to be chronic- must keep at it with the heel drops, stretching and rolling.

I know this has turned into a rant without much point, I just feel the need to write about my little Angel. I am going to miss her so much. I have no clue where she is going to go, but I just hope she’s not alone. Thank you all for this amazing place, it truly is special. Please hug and kiss your pets, I know I am going to for the last few hours I have with Honey. 
Not at all. Thanks for sharing. 

We definitely get it with the dogs. I love every one we've brought into the family but a few stand apart.  I'm writing this with "my dog" Murphy by my feet, he's the one I'm most connected with, he isn't much to look at (mutt, looks like a Carolina dog / American dingo). He isn't smart but damn I love the guy.  Except for the intelligence, this is about right https://pethelpful.com/dogs/The-American-Dingo-What-Is-a-Carolina-Dog

Lots of love for Honey. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it's probably time for an update. This may be long but bear with me. This post has been a long time coming. But I have a lot on my brain and I need to get it out. This is probably the only place I can put this where I know most of you won't judge and will just lend support.

I'm a mess right now and I've known it for a long time - physically and mentally.

Coming off of Carmel in 2019 I was on a high. And then hitting that PR in the half marathon two weeks later was the icing on the cake. Physically and mentally I was on a peak after that second race.  I knew at that time the kind of runner I COULD be, and felt like I had a good sense of how to execute things.

I learned during that cycle a couple of things:

1. I am capable of way more than I give myself credit for

2. Spring races are way better for me in terms of commitment

So my goal going into fall of 2019 was to maintain a solid base and sign up for my normal spring half in 2020. The goal there was to try and break 1:40. Which if I could do that, would possibly help springboard me into a serious long term plan to possibly put myself into position where I could qualify for Boston. That would have been a several year project, but I would have been building toward that. I know with my talent level it would take A LOT of work. It's no secret my mental challenges with running here, but things where starting to come together.

Then of course Covid hit right in the middle of that half training cycle.  I'll never forget the day: I was in Florida on vacation and on a training run and came back and saw the notification in my email. To say the air came out of my sails was an understatement.

The world was shutting down. And I shut down along with it. 

And I haven't been able to shake it. With all the down time during Covid I had a lot of time to think. And sit around. And drink beers with my wife just watching people walk by because that at least seemed normal.  I would run a little bit here and there, and the spring race series with you guys helped a ton. But after that was summer.

And it became easier not to run:

1. there are no races to run anyway

2. it's hot out here

3. sports are starting again - let's have a beer and watch that instead

Summer turned to fall, fall to winter, and on and on until now. The world got back to somewhat of a normal cycle but I did not. I went the other direction. Those beer nights turned into an every day occurence. Usually only 1 or 2 beers with my wife, but weekends turn into day drinking affairs. There was a stretch there where I probably drank something every day for months. 

As a child of an alcoholic, I'm well aware of the danger here. I would run here and there, and get a moment of inspiration to try and break me out of this cycle. But there was always an excuse not to run.

This past year has been tough for me. Not in any kind of financial or marriage kind of way, but all of this downtime has made me question a lot of things. The kind of husband I am, the kind of father, the kind of man I am.  It's like I know the mistakes I have made and am making, but my answer has been to overthink things and go into my shell and just keep quiet.

It's like I know I can't do any damage if I just keep quiet. This comes from my dad and the mental scars I'm carrying from him. o I know where it comes from. I know you guys might be thinking:

"go talk to someone. see a therapist."

But I can't and won't do this. There are some things I'm carrying that have to remain and die with me. That is non-negotiable in any terms. But what I have to figure out is how to get through this. All of it. But I have to take them one at a time.

There are also some physical things I'm working through:

1. Degenerative disk in my neck. This was diagnosed early of 2019 right when I was in the middle of my marathon cycle. I chose to not do anything at that time because it wasn't bothering me much and the running seemed to help keep me loose. But it's gotten much worse. I'm in pain daily. I'm feeling pain in my upper body and down my arms and up into my head at times. So I'm starting the process again on what to do. I'm on a steroid right now to try and simmer things down, and hopefully that can buy me some time. So I have that to deal with. 

2. Overall fatigue and such. I've been having just weird stuff going on. What I feel are heart palpitations, shortness of breath at times, just overall crappy feeling. Now, I know some of this could be tied to drinking too much. But I still am getting this checked out. I'm getting that heart calcium test done and then a consult with a cardiologist. So there's that also.

So I'm a freaking mess right now. But I am also aware of that and know that there are things I can do to control this.

The things I can fix:

1. Quit drinking so much. This one is a no brainer, and I've taken some steps in the last three weeks to address this. I'm not ready to call myself an alcoholic yet, but I know the signs and the technical definitions. I also love having a cold beer with my friends and watch a game. But this will be scaled back A LOT. I've been here before and this is certainly the one thing I can control. Which leads me back to:

2. Running. This has saved me before and it's going to have to do it again. It's the one thing I can point to that gives me a purpose (outside of family of course). It gives me a direction. It gives me a plan. It gives me something to look forward to (the race). I have to get back into this consistently.  I've been trying to get out more and more, if only for 3-4 miles at a time.  My plan as of today is to try and get back to 5 days a week. One of the reasons I like to run at night is it's an easy way to keep me off the booze. After I run I usually just go eat dinner, then hang with the family, and then head to bed. So I need this routine right now.  

The next step is to sign up for a race. I'll be signing up for my normal spring half once they open it up. That race is usually the second week of April. My plan as of today is: just make it to that race. Build up mileage the best you can.

3. The Mental Stuff. For me, simplifying things is always the best thing. I also need things to do. The whole idle hands thing...... So, I've started taking some steps there too. My yard and garden have never looked better.  :lol:   I started the bait company with my son. I started feeding the birds (of course, now I'm in warfare with the squirrels and grackles, but that's another story).  I've been listening to music more. Things that I love and that can keep me occupied mentally. I need to read more - that's the next step. Turn off a meaningless game and read a book. 

Anyway, sorry about the brain dump today. I needed to do this desparately and put this into words so I can be accountable to it. Thanks for always being here guys. You have no idea how much you have all helped me over the years.

I'll never be able to pay that back. 

💙💚 Man, to think I stopped coming in here as much because I've been feeling down about things too. The support here is fantastic, it's not just the running (which I still hate, but that will change eventually). 

You're good people Chief. 

Not at all. Thanks for sharing. 

We definitely get it with the dogs. I love every one we've brought into the family but a few stand apart.  I'm writing this with "my dog" Murphy by my feet, he's the one I'm most connected with, he isn't much to look at (mutt, looks like a Carolina dog / American dingo). He isn't smart but damn I love the guy
Channeling my wife here, aren't ya?

Week 4 report

65.2 miles for the week.  Ended July at 286 miles.  I've been slightly over 300 miles in some Julys and Augusts of other marathon training summers but I was averaging a slower pace then.  I'll trying not be too concerned about volume.  

I ran six 800s on Tuesday.  I'll rate the workout as successful in that I finished but I was only going a little faster than the pace I've been running tempos at.    The effort felt right though.  That's probably a sign that I should do them more and that there is room for me to get faster.  I've been thinking about the article Mac posted that mentioned how Kipchoge does lots of 3-minute intervals.  I'll run the same workout this week and take it from there. That is making my training plan for this week tight since I'd like to run a tempo this week too.  I'm thinking about sacrificing longer 10+ weekday runs so I can get both weekday workouts in without feeling too rundown.  I'd then run extra long but slow for a long run on Saturday.

Yesterday's MP long run was a success.  I ran 16 miles averaging 6:19.  Four weeks ago I ran 16 miles at about the same effort level averaging 6:32 so that's a decent improvement.  I didn't plan to run that fast yesterday but I try to run by feel and that felt right.   I had considered running anywhere between 16 and 18 miles but decided 16 was enough.  My glutes and hamstrings are "nagging" injured are were barking.  It gets worse when I run fast for a long distance but is mostly minor otherwise.  I'm not too worried about race day since the taper should have me well rested and it's not so bad that I can't run through it.  However, I think it's important to be careful during training. 

Only one highlight from my week, but it was very encouraging. Tested my hand at goal pace and increased to 10 miles total, but more importantly unlike last time i kept my HR in check. Stayed in the 150's until i turned uphill to do the final mile and a quarter. 

Just 47 miles for the week, but 220 for July was a 10% increase vs anything from the last 16 months. Goal for August is to increase another 10%. On the beach this week so not sure there will be anything of substance, but i plan to pile on the mileage. If my alcohol intake is restriced enough to allow for something meaningful at some point I'll take advantage, but vaca is the priority.

Ran 10+ at comfortable pace today, testing the Achilles (and apparently right IT as well now). It was so nice out- low 70s and low humidity- that even though I could feel it, it wasn't enough to turn around and kinda loosened up enough along the way.

Besides stretching it out afterwards, do you guys think icing them down afterwards is beneficial?

Oh! ...on the run at some point while running through the uninhabited industrial wasteland section of Long Island City getting to the 59th st bridge, I though of @SayWhat? and imagined a literal bear jumping out from behind a warehouse. Almost had a figurative bear thinking about what that must have felt like. 

There's no down side to ice then heat, worst case is lost time. Speaking of my wheel still isnt happy, but I'm encouraged the discomfort is no longer on my achilles. I may just not bother with long speed intervals this cycle though. Stick to the 3 minute or less type of work and tempo's, but nothing in between. Any time I've tried them since last summer's accident some bad outcome results.

Oh! ...on the run at some point while running through the uninhabited industrial wasteland section of Long Island City getting to the 59th st bridge, I though of @SayWhat? and imagined a literal bear jumping out from behind a warehouse. Almost had a figurative bear thinking about what that must have felt like. 
I'd imagine that you'd see those red and white smoke stacks from the Ravenswood Generating Station looming in the distance and expect to be snatched up and taken to that plant to be tortured, ala Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.  

I'd imagine that you'd see those red and white smoke stacks from the Ravenswood Generating Station looming in the distance and expect to be snatched up and taken to that plant to be tortured, ala Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory.  
Now that you mention, I may have seen some black helicopters...

Week 2

Paid for a fun yesterday day with a short run to sweat out some bad stuff to wrap the week.  50.5 mile week with a solid 400s workout and ok long run yesterday back home. Held pace back on the long run as I am monitoring my hip flexors and the quality increase that’s to come. I do need more pace / progression in my long runs this cycle.  I will at least hit something faster / longer on a couple races that will be used for long runs at the end of Aug and early Sept. 

PT scheduled for Friday to keep on top of things hopefully. 202 miles in July is about right and been good with stretching and core.  Ramping up starts this week. 

Week 4 update

I think things are back on track. I'm light years behind where I wish I were but you can't turn back time and fix that so forward we look. With the 8.6 mile run on Friday, about 8 miles of hiking trails on Saturday and a 5 mile run yesterday, I feel good about where my back is. So, back on the training train and we will see what I can do between now and November.

Going to concentrate just on getting miles in more than anything and see what happens. 4 weeks in and I have about 1/2 has many miles done as "the plan" calls for so there's that. But considering where things were a couple weeks ago, I'll take it. Not really sure what my goal will be for the Monumental beyond "just finish" at this point but we will see how things go over the next month or so and can worry about that later. 

Also ordered some new shoes that were delivered while I was away for the weekend. Wore them for the run last night and some 'fresh kicks' (as the kids like to say) were a good idea, IMO. Still have some life in the existing ones but there was a distinct difference in the padding/support with the new ones. 

I know many of you hate running with your phone, but there are a couple good reasons to:  Best case, it might save your life if you're immoble/lost.  Worst-case, it might help searchers find your body.

Really sad case here.  Left his phone in his car.  

https://sfist.com/2021/07/22/missing-berkeley-runner-philip-kreycik/

Or if you really hate running with your phone, then splurge on a LTE-capable watch, like @gruecd.  In this case (given then heat), they would have only found it (and clothing) in a puddle of melted Grue. 
Sorry to bump an old post, but I've been on TO and thought about all of you when this happened.  This is right in my backyard, and I occasionally mountain bike in the area where he disappeared.  My neighbor and I both volunteered for a day to go look for him and obviously came up empty.  It's a bigger area than a lot of people realize, but there were a lot of people out there looking and unless he wandered WAY off trail, I just don't see how he could have fallen into a ravine.  The trails are all well maintained.  Super sad and totally baffling as to what happened to him.

Ironically, both of our Garmin watches died during our search

I spent some time today importing all my Garmin run data for the last 2 years into excel.  I wanted to make sure my average pace each month is improving and track monthly mileage.

Shocked to find out that I peaked in April on pace and the last 3 months have been slower. I guess I need to run faster more which is annoying because I love a nice slow run.

Sorry to bump an old post, but I've been on TO and thought about all of you when this happened.  This is right in my backyard, and I occasionally mountain bike in the area where he disappeared.  My neighbor and I both volunteered for a day to go look for him and obviously came up empty.  It's a bigger area than a lot of people realize, but there were a lot of people out there looking and unless he wandered WAY off trail, I just don't see how he could have fallen into a ravine.  The trails are all well maintained.  Super sad and totally baffling as to what happened to him.

Yes, from what little I've read it doesn't sound like he vanished intentionally.  Just sounds like a regular trail run.  Just like so many of us do every day.  

This morning, I ran trails in the dark for the first time in months, and thought about how they'd use my Garmin Live Track to find (what remained of) me if I was jumped by a cougar.

lumpy19 said:
I spent some time today importing all my Garmin run data for the last 2 years into excel.  I wanted to make sure my average pace each month is improving and track monthly mileage.

Shocked to find out that I peaked in April on pace and the last 3 months have been slower. I guess I need to run faster more which is annoying because I love a nice slow run.
I use an app called ConnectStats that pulls all that together nicely if you want to outsource. 

What amazes me most is that unlike most of the other runners, Warholm’s speed doesn’t appear to change at all as he goes over each hurdle.  Unbelievable race.

What amazes me most is that unlike most of the other runners, Warholm’s speed doesn’t appear to change at all as he goes over each hurdle.  Unbelievable race.
Warholm and Benjamin both smashed the former's previous world record, while all three medalists beat the mark set by Young in 1992. To put into context how impressive Warholm's run was, consider that it bested 23 Olympic sprinters who ran in Sunday's 400-meter preliminaries — without hurdles.

Warholm and Benjamin both smashed the former's previous world record, while all three medalists beat the mark set by Young in 1992. To put into context how impressive Warholm's run was, consider that it bested 23 Olympic sprinters who ran in Sunday's 400-meter preliminaries — without hurdles.
Yeah, well...I didn't see any puking or fetal position.

lumpy19 said:

Bear in mind that the weather has probably been much less conducive to running the past 3 months.  Without getting too deep into the weeds of the data, maybe look at the ratios of pace year-over-year (e.g., May'21/May'20, Jun'21/Jun'20, etc.) to make sure it's not just a temperature effect.

Warholm and Benjamin both smashed the former's previous world record, while all three medalists beat the mark set by Young in 1992.
I was really surprised by Warholm's kick at the end - it looked like it was going to take everything he had to hold off Benjamin, and then all of the sudden he found another gear and pulled away.

So I took all of last week off. Ran Sunday after not running since the previous Sunday. Felt good, even if Achilles were still there and barking.

Did a shorter bridge/hill repeat (3x instead of my usual 5x 1:40 +/- hill repeat) and didn't go super hard, trying to keep stress off the heels. The week off clearly helped, and I ended up posting my 2nd and 3rd fastest ever times for the climb- 1:24&7...I really am usually closer to 1:40). I'll continue with my usual week, just taking things by feel a little easier or shorter than normal. SOS on Thurs, longer pace run on Sat.

Im still weighing a fall marathon, but I know I have to commit to training for it now...which is tough while juggling the Achilles issues. I don't want to flare out with the Achilles, but I also want to continue the base fitness I've accumulated already and not lose it by shutting down too much. I guess I could look at another 1/2 instead, but tbh Im not feeling that as much.

On 7/23/2021 at 7:07 AM, Zasada said:
I know many of you hate running with your phone, but there are a couple good reasons to:  Best case, it might save your life if you're immoble/lost.  Worst-case, it might help searchers find your body.

Really sad case here.  Left his phone in his car.  

https://sfist.com/2021/07/22/missing-berkeley-runner-philip-kreycik/

Or if you really hate running with your phone, then splurge on a LTE-capable watch, like @gruecd.  In this case (given then heat), they would have only found it (and clothing) in a puddle of melted Grue. 
Expand  

Body found

So sad. Curious where it was and how close we were to it when we were out looking 

Body found

So sad. Curious where it was and how close we were to it when we were out looking 
Read in another article (one not behind a pay wall) that his body was found under a tree 250 yards off the running trail.  I guess we'll never know how/why he ended up over there.

ETA:  Per a different article, "The remains were found just off of a game trail used by animals, but one that could look like a normal trail."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread