What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (17 Viewers)

Actually the controversy/debate about the newer shoe styles continues as they've now made their way to the track events.
I find it kind of an interesting line to try to draw/debate to have. I think a lot of it comes down really to the sponsorship aspect of the sport. While they talk about the track technology, no one is really complaining about it. Everyone is competing on the same playing field - literally. I am not an expert on the inner workings of high level track athletes but I am fairly confident that all of them are part of various sponsorship 'packages'. So, when it comes to the shoes, everyone basically has access to the same technology but due to sponsorship deals, some of them are excluded from the Nikes. Which is kind of different than someone doing something they "shouldn't". 

Now, I believe swimming went back and banned some of the hightech suits that had been coming out, and maybe track does something different with the shoes. But right now, their beef/complaint is really more about their sponsors being behind the tech curve than anything else. 

MLB still requires an all wood bat. Tennis embraced graphite and other materials for racquets. Golf has embraced some club improvements and banned others. It will be interesting to see what happens with the shoes. 

IIRC, this really is how Nike got started in the first place. I think the story goes that the guy that invented them found a better way to make shoes for track athletes and was selling them out of the trunk of his car. Next thing you know he has a bazillion dollar company. 

Week 5 Report

62.4 miles this week.  That was a little less than past weeks but planned since I decided to run fast twice during the week.

Runs of note:

Tuesday's 800 intervals averaged 2:41 which was an improvement over 2:45 average last week. I'd like to get this down to the 2:30 to 2:35 range.  I don't think I can fit in intervals every week since I want to focus on other things too but maybe I could do them two out of every three weeks.

Thursday I ran 5.5 at 5:44 pace.  I mentioned on Strava that it was rough.  I would have liked to have run 6 under 5:40 pace but even though heart rate was OK, the effort level seemed too high and aches and pains were more noticeable.  I decided that 5.5 was enough.  Leg fatigue was a factor from this increase in volume and intensity I've been doing.  I was achy near the end of my 20-miler yesterday (and really all day yesterday).  It's a sign that I need to be careful with my limits.

I signed up for a half marathon for September 4.   The goal is to average under 6:00 pace the whole way.  This week I want to practice HM pace with a run of at least 8 miles.  I'm not sure what else I want to do.  I'll just see how I feel.

Week 5 Report

62.4 miles this week.  That was a little less than past weeks but planned since I decided to run fast twice during the week.

Runs of note:

Tuesday's 800 intervals averaged 2:41 which was an improvement over 2:45 average last week. I'd like to get this down to the 2:30 to 2:35 range.  I don't think I can fit in intervals every week since I want to focus on other things too but maybe I could do them two out of every three weeks.

Thursday I ran 5.5 at 5:44 pace.  I mentioned on Strava that it was rough.  I would have liked to have run 6 under 5:40 pace but even though heart rate was OK, the effort level seemed too high and aches and pains were more noticeable.  I decided that 5.5 was enough.  Leg fatigue was a factor from this increase in volume and intensity I've been doing.  I was achy near the end of my 20-miler yesterday (and really all day yesterday).  It's a sign that I need to be careful with my limits.

I signed up for a half marathon for September 4.   The goal is to average under 6:00 pace the whole way.  This week I want to practice HM pace with a run of at least 8 miles.  I'm not sure what else I want to do.  I'll just see how I feel.
With the times you’ve been laying down, I’d say focus on the next Olympics. 

Week 3

Choppy week with some kid sickness and feeling a bit meh myself. Managed to keep it moving but did have to pick the Saturday long run over the weds/Thursday SoS, knew both weren’t happening based on how energy was this week. 

So it was a solid 6x 800s session Monday kept in a 6:50-7:00 min/mi pace range and ok 16 progression miles Saturday on the way to 50.7 miles & 7 hr 41 mins. PT on Friday helped with some right inner and left hammy tightness.  Both were not helped by a hallmark of my idiocy, trying to chop down a tree Wednesday night like I’m that guy or even have a sharp ax. Well I put my dull ax away for the rest of this cycle. 

Onward. 

I signed up for a half marathon for September 4.   The goal is to average under 6:00 pace the whole way.
I like your chances as long as you have decent weather on race day. After the half will set you marathon goal?

PT on Friday helped with some right inner and left hammy tightness.  Both were not helped by a hallmark of my idiocy, trying to chop down a tree Wednesday night like I’m that guy or even have a sharp ax.
At least you were attempting something productive, I learned the knee pain I often get when I visit the shore is from sitting in my beach chair. I guess I’ll have to get a chair that isn’t so low.

Boston training: Weeks 7-9

Halfway through the training cycle!  (gulp)  But things are going smoothly.  Mileage is decent:

61.5 ...60.2 ...61.4

Health is very good: The hamstring tendinopathy reminds me it's there at times, but it doesn't seem to be an issue if I don't sit for long stretches (which I have a tendency to do).  The right calf barks just a little bit on occasion, but it hasn't been a hindrance at all.  

I did pick up my first two long runs of the training cycle: a 20 miler on a high-SI day with insufficient fluids and a more recent 22 miler that went very well (8:42/mi pace and a 143 avg HR).  Six other double digit runs, including a 17 miler.

I also had some good elevation in weeks 7/8, had a couple of solid tempo runs (6 @ 7:34 and 8 @ 7:43), and a couple other SOSs.  Today's 5 x 600m @ 6:55/mi pace reminds me I do not have my 'high-end' speed.  But that said, I don't really need a high gear, and I still have several weeks for the pacing to come down.

Looking ahead: I'll do a 23 miler in two weeks, then a 20 mile race pace a few weeks after that.  I'll keep up with a couple of SOSs each week (tempo, intervals, and hills), but August weather will continue to be a challenge.  

Week 5 was a challenging but successful week that had a 4 mile tempo run and 18 with 10 at marathon pace while on vacation.

The conditions all week were better than back home and the tempo run went well and all my other runs were super efficient. Unfortunately for my marathon paced run the humidity came back, I was able to finish the MP miles but it was a grind and I was really dehydrated with 4 more cool down miles to go. I made 3 water fountain stops in those last 4 miles, and for most of day had a decent headache, this sometimes happens after rough half marathons. My reward was a recovery double that was fine today to end up with 78 for the week.

Next week is a recovery week and I think my last planned week under 70 until the taper.

I like your chances as long as you have decent weather on race day. After the half will you set your marathon goal?
That will still be 8 weeks out. I guess there would be plenty of other runs that could change things.  For the most part, though, I already have goals. Main goal is 2:49:59. Best case scenario is something like 2:46. I’d still be happy to be in the low 2:5Xs if that is all I have. But no doubt the half will be helpful in figuring out where I’m at. 

I hadn't thought of that... Thanks. 

Any recs?
I wish I had some good recommendations but I'm far from a shoe expert.  I would just go to a dedicated shoe store and explain what you are looking for. 

I guess you could use google too to help determine similar shoes to what you run in that have a higher drop. 

I just know when I went to a low drop shoe, my calves and achilles got cranky until I figured out what happened.  Then I stretched them pretty extensively after every run with that low drop shoe and things calmed down.

I wish I had some good recommendations but I'm far from a shoe expert.  I would just go to a dedicated shoe store and explain what you are looking for. 

I guess you could use google too to help determine similar shoes to what you run in that have a higher drop. 

I just know when I went to a low drop shoe, my calves and achilles got cranky until I figured out what happened.  Then I stretched them pretty extensively after every run with that low drop shoe and things calmed down.
I run in Hoka Clifton 7s, fwiw. 

A quick peek at this, tells me Mizuno Waverider has a 12mm drop.  That may be something to try at the store? 

I've run in the Clifton, Brooks Ghost and Mizuno Waverider.  I liked the Waverider.  Its worth trying at the store to see if its comfortable for you.

Big fan of the Waverider. Been wearing them for my entire running career. 

So if you want to go slow, get the Waverider.
Ha.  I think the Waverider is a very good training shoe.  Its a steady performer for long runs.  Its not as cushion-y as the Clifton.  But I also wouldn't ever race in the waverider.  According to the link I sent you, its heavier than the Clifton.  But it may be perfect for what you are looking for....a shoe to take the stress off your achilles during your training runs.  Just choose a lighter faster shoe for race day. 

And @ChiefD, if you are racing in WaveRiders, may I recommend you try the Brooks Launch which isn't THAT expensive?  It is a good race day shoe.  Or you can spend a bit more and try the Saucony Endorphin Speed (the Pros price tag will probably be more than you want to spend.)

Just my two cents.

Week 5

This was the first week since week 1 that really went "as planned. As noted above, the long run felt awful but the good news is that I really feel pretty good today. Also spent some time last night looking at my runs from 2 years ago. I am definitely behind what I did then but in reading through some of my own comments and looking at the data from the runs, it could be worse. I don't exactly feel great about where I am as compared to where I want to be, but I do think I have a lot of things I can do better between now and November than what I did 2 years ago, so I have that going for me. Basically I'm behind the curve, but there are opportunities to catch up and get in front of it if I can have/find the discipline going forward from now. 

So, onward and upward... 

Week 5

This was the first week since week 1 that really went "as planned. As noted above, the long run felt awful but the good news is that I really feel pretty good today. Also spent some time last night looking at my runs from 2 years ago. I am definitely behind what I did then but in reading through some of my own comments and looking at the data from the runs, it could be worse. I don't exactly feel great about where I am as compared to where I want to be, but I do think I have a lot of things I can do better between now and November than what I did 2 years ago, so I have that going for me. Basically I'm behind the curve, but there are opportunities to catch up and get in front of it if I can have/find the discipline going forward from now. 

So, onward and upward... 
Don't discount the knowledge you gained in your first marathon.  Its not an insignificant feat and to learn nutrition, pacing, and how that last 10K feels will only help you in 2021.

My Week Recap --

Monday -- I thought about running

Tuesday -- Really thought about running.

Wednesday -- Got out for a few miles and ended up killing it on a 5 mile run. Started at an 11:00 pace and legs opened up for a 10:39 on my 2nd mile. By 3 and 4 I settled back down and then smoked a LMF 10:29 to finish up.

Thursday -- I thought about my Wednesday run

Friday -- Didn't really think about running

Saturday -- Read the running thread and watched other people run

Sunday -- Thinking of running next week

Overall, really happy with how things turned out. Wanted to make sure I didn't overdo things and I feel like I accomplished that about as well as I could. 

My Week Recap --

Monday -- I thought about running

Tuesday -- Really thought about running.

Wednesday -- Got out for a few miles and ended up killing it on a 5 mile run. Started at an 11:00 pace and legs opened up for a 10:39 on my 2nd mile. By 3 and 4 I settled back down and then smoked a LMF 10:29 to finish up.

Thursday -- I thought about my Wednesday run

Friday -- Didn't really think about running

Saturday -- Read the running thread and watched other people run

Sunday -- Thinking of running next week

Overall, really happy with how things turned out. Wanted to make sure I didn't overdo things and I feel like I accomplished that about as well as I could. 
I see you. Crushed it.

I even got a notification from Strava. I think it was on Friday. It was like "You've only done 5 miles this week." 

I'm thinking "hmm, that's a new feature". I also thought "#### off, I get enough of that #### at home and in this thread, I don't need it from you too".

Almost uninstalled.
Mapmyrun would never disparage you.

Week 7

Saturday - kids were running a race in the morning, I said I'd get up and run before (I didn't). I then said I'd run in between (I didn't). I then said I'd run before we head to the lake (I didn't). I then said I'd run when we get there (I didn't). I then said after 'dinner' I'd run after just a few beers. We then built a fire, drank a lot of beers, and I didn't.

Sunday - eventually I woke up, flushed out the demons, foot shuffled for 2 miles, actually jogged for 5 more, then went to the beach and drank all the beers. Then came back to the cottage and had the rest.

Monday - we decided to go island hopping so I said I'd get up and run before (I didn't). Then we floated around island to island, driving golf carts, stopping for the occasional beverage, letting the kids run amuck, made it back to mainland, then went to a brewery a half mile from our cottage. Remembering I already missed a day 2 days prior I decided on the walk back to run until hydration said no mas. I made it 10 miles and don't think I ever wandered into traffic. Then we played cards and sipped whiskey.

Tuesday - I said I'd get up and run (and didn't). Then we golfed (and drank beers). We got back expecting everyone else to return from the beach (but they weren't). Knowing once they did we were going putt putting, go karting, then eating fried food I decided that was the best time to stumble around the island for 5 miles.

Wednesday - I said I'd get up and run...AND DID! But after a half mile a violent bear attack overcame me. I was close enough to the cottage to kill the intruder. Afterwards I decided it was a good idea to do six 800 repeats. The first one was fine, the second great, then halfway through the third I realized the first bear had a sibling. I bearly (**yuck yuck PUNCH**) finished the rep, which happened to finished by a small wooded area. If you look closely on strava you can identify the scene of the crime. I didn't dare touch any of those leaves, but I found some fresh bark to kindasortanotreally clean up then continued on my way. I was feeling good (sub 6 pace each rep) and thinking about doing eight, but as another bear started closing in at the end of rep six I tapped out and remembered why I'm not a morning runner then went to the beach. 

Thursday - I did NOT say I'd get up and run, but I did tell my wife to drop me off 5 miles before getting home from Cedar Point and I would. Tens of thousands of steps later I later opted out.

Friday - it's the last beach day (we stay til the sun falls behind the trees), so there was no way I was running later. Remembering what happened Wednesday I completed 3 1/2 rounds before trotting (hey-yo!) out as the others made their way to the sand. It was as good of a bell curve workout as I could expect given the conditions and all that I had consumed over the last 8 days. I peaked at a 6:22 mile and was able to sustain paces on the way down (6:52 up 6:51 down, 7:16 up 7:13 down, 7:42 up 7:56 down). 

Saturday - 6 mile detox after getting home and early to bed.

Sunday - given the conditions and all of the above I'm more encouraged about today's long run than I was with this one 2+ months ago. I was able to keep my HR in the low 140's give or take throughout the first hour despite a mid 7's pace. It crept up as I expected it to, but stayed at a point in which I was finally able to fast finish one of these. A 22 minute 5K after running 12 miles in that slop? I think I'm finally ready to progress beyond 2 hours for a long run. Then to celebrate this afternoon I took the kids to a friend of ours house so they could swim and I had (yep) more beers.  :lol:   :bag:

51 miles - a quality long, good enough bell curve, messy but effective intervals, drunk training, and a hell of a good time in between.

It was a good week that we think created memories (but not bears) that will last forever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I even got a notification from Strava. I think it was on Friday. It was like "You've only done 5 miles this week." 

I'm thinking "hmm, that's a new feature". I also thought "#### off, I get enough of that #### at home and in this thread, I don't need it from you too".

Almost uninstalled.
Premium. 

Paging @Harris.  Still planning on joining us for Monumental this fall?  Did the move back to US go okay?

(If this has all been covered recently and I missed it, I apologize.)

179 tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.  @tri-man 47 Good time for some heat training?
Well, to quote the inimitable @ChiefD ...no.  These will be a few miserable days with the SI staying above 140 throughout.  I'm not sure I have any more weight to sweat off.

I did order some Baleaf running shorts that @Zasada had mentioned recently.  They're incredibly light, though they do get clingy with sweat.  They are easy on the 'boys,' though.

I did order some Baleaf running shorts that @Zasada had mentioned recently.  They're incredibly light, though they do get clingy with sweat.  They are easy on the 'boys,' though.
I did as well, I am considering using them for the marathon as they may be good to carry some gels.

Speaking of gels what are people using now?  I have used Clif and Honey Stingers in the past. I think I saw they will have the Clif gels on the course so it may sense to stick with that. 

I haven’t complained about the weather in some time but suck indexes upcoming (all for 6:00 a.m.):

Tuesday 142

Wednesday 152

Thursday 147

152 for me tomorrow at 0400, when I hope to run.  But I'm not complaining.

If I were go out right now... it's 169.  Pretty sure I'd die.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did as well, I am considering using them for the marathon as they may be good to carry some gels.

Speaking of gels what are people using now?  I have used Clif and Honey Stingers in the past. I think I saw they will have the Clif gels on the course so it may sense to stick with that. 

I'm a honey stinger kind of guy.

Big fan of these. I would use these on long runs about mile 16. Tastes like apple pie. A great mental boost in addition to the nutrition.

I copped a pair with the long liner and back center pocket. Phone is a bit bouncy and they are hotter than some similar style brooks I have that are butter but cost 3x more.  

I had been trying Maureen pre 2020 and guess I liked them fine. Weird like jello but fine, didn’t change my world but would buy again I suppose. I come back to Gu Roctane most often and have a bunch I’ll work with come fall or whenever I want to start fueling training runs. 

That's when you know when you are back. You had every opportunity to quit, and you didn't.

Now build on this.
For the record... that run Saturday felt nothing like "being back" but I felt pretty good Sunday, really kind of wanted to run but didn't. Went out tonight for what counts as a hilly 10k for me with a150+ SI. Full rollercoaster effect in force as I'm feeling sort of back today. 

We'll see about tomorrow. :lmao:

I copped a pair with the long liner and back center pocket. Phone is a bit bouncy and they are hotter than some similar style brooks I have that are butter but cost 3x more.  

I had been trying Maureen pre 2020 and guess I liked them fine. Weird like jello but fine, didn’t change my world but would buy again I suppose. I come back to Gu Roctane most often and have a bunch I’ll work with come fall or whenever I want to start fueling training runs. 
I was thinking about getting these shorts with the liner.  I have to go find the link to this. (If you have it handy, please text it to me.)

i also like the Maurten gels.  Very solid and use them along with clif Shotbloks on race day 

Users who are viewing this thread