What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

I haven’t complained about the weather in some time but suck indexes upcoming (all for 6:00 a.m.):

Tuesday 142

Wednesday 152

Thursday 147
If we get rain and not storms during my window over lunch I'm gonna try some intervals while the sun is covered. Probably a dumb idea if that yellow thing is out though. 4 runs totalling 9.2 miles today, all well into the 150's. I'm exhausted.

Ha.  I think the Waverider is a very good training shoe.  Its a steady performer for long runs.  Its not as cushion-y as the Clifton.  But I also wouldn't ever race in the waverider.  According to the link I sent you, its heavier than the Clifton.  But it may be perfect for what you are looking for....a shoe to take the stress off your achilles during your training runs.  Just choose a lighter faster shoe for race day. 

And @ChiefD, if you are racing in WaveRiders, may I recommend you try the Brooks Launch which isn't THAT expensive?  It is a good race day shoe.  Or you can spend a bit more and try the Saucony Endorphin Speed (the Pros price tag will probably be more than you want to spend.)

Just my two cents.

Well dang. NOW you tell me.   :cry:

In all seriousness, I may try those out. Might make a difference for my next race. Certainly can't hurt. Thanks!   :thumbup:

152 SI at 5 am this morning. Loved every minute of it. Don’t forget, we get to run every morning. We don’t have to.

Yup, I was just telling a colleague that pre-injury me would have been complaining about how hot/humid it was this morning, and how slow I ran.

But post-injury me was happy to just get out and get that post-run feeling of satisfaction.  

Need to keep that memory for future use.

London Update

Race is scheduled for October 3.  Training is going well.  I feel like I'm generally hitting paces as needed, but the next 4 weeks are now prime time for me to get myself in a position to possibly PR this race.  I need to dial in my early morning routines so I can knock out these runs.  Now that vacation is over, I have no excuses.  Today's run (3 x 2 miles) was tough.  Hopefully, it was just a valley in the normal marathon training block.

Sources tell me that London is releasing COVID guidance on August 17 as well as how they are handling international runners.  Admittedly, its a bit nerve racking not fully knowing if I can go and run this race.  At least I'll have clarity in a week (hopefully).

Boston Update

It appears Boston is offering spots to people who just missed the cut off (less than 5 seconds away).  A bunch of people got the invite to join the race (with evidently a 9 week training cycle!).  Apparently, I'm thinking the charities are struggling to fill their spots, so Boston is going to fill any extra openings with time qualifiers.  This gives me every indication Boston is a go.  I doubt they would be adding people now if they thought there was a real chance of this being cancelled.  Maybe I'm being optimistic. 

Indianapolis Update

I put in my pacer application and credentials back in June.  We were told we would hear in July.  And I've heard nothing.  I'll likely reach out to the coordinator in the next week or two for an update.  I'll be pretty surprised if they don't plug me in somewhere.  I requested 3:30, but if last year's 3:30 person wants to do it, I'll get bumped to a different time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Indianapolis Update

I put in my pacer application and credentials back in June.  We were told we would hear in July.  And I've heard nothing.  I'll likely reach out to the coordinator in the next week or two for an update.  I'll be pretty surprised if they don't plug me in somewhere.  I requested 3:30, but if last year's 3:30 person wants to do it, I'll get bumped to a different time. 
For a lot of the times, they had 2 pacers for each time. Also, a guy I used to work with is involved with PBT, who I am pretty sure is still doing the pacing, and I could reach out to him if you want. 

For a lot of the times, they had 2 pacers for each time. Also, a guy I used to work with is involved with PBT, who I am pretty sure is still doing the pacing, and I could reach out to him if you want. 
I appreciate that but let's hold off.  I'm good friends with the live-in partner of the guy who founded the race 20+ years ago.  I can always call her if I need to.  LOL

oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. 

my bad.

oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. oops. 

my bad.
You forgot the “oh! I grabbed the last bottle perfectly”.

Marathon strat question - how many gels or food are you taking in during the race?  Gels should be taken every 45/60 mins from what I've read...so that's like 4 for the race if I'm shooting for 3:35ish?  

Any other fuel suggestions?  

I'm going to start implementing/practicing on my runs of 15 or more, which start this week.

Marathon strat question - how many gels or food are you taking in during the race?  Gels should be taken every 45/60 mins from what I've read...so that's like 4 for the race if I'm shooting for 3:35ish?  

I'm going to start implementing/practicing on my runs of 15 or more, which start this week.
That’s about right from the math perspective, some for more and some have issues fueling so it’s less or nil. I think I will carry 5 and force myself to take them all and sooner than in the past, I think every 4-5 miles is right for me. Waiting too long bc feeling good doesn’t last for me so I’ll try to avoid that this time.  

Even if I do ‘practice with fueling’ it’s only 1 or 2 which is not really a good proxy for eating 5. 

I think I was doing better with fueling in the cycle when covid hit, but I've regressed and it's too late to do anything about it now. I think my prior marathon attempts have failed because I've not consumed enough - and that quantity is more than what you cited (average). I was leaning towards doing honey jam sammy's last time anyway, but I definitely will with this one. Just need to figure out how many. 

That's my way of saying start practicing yesterday. There will be some blind faith to whatever decision you make with this being round one, but between now and then you need to figure out what does not work. 

That's my way of saying start practicing yesterday. There will be some blind faith to whatever decision you make with this being round one, but between now and then you need to figure out what does not work
:goodposting:

Test, test, test. Don't leave race day GI to chance.

I don't know if people have a plan B in place for marathons in case plan A goes sideways on race day...I ended up on plan C on my IM after my years tried and true tested methods for HIMs blew up on me. My only marathon was just a few GUs...and those weren't the reason for things didn't go optimally.

I don't know if people have a plan B in place for marathons in case plan A goes sideways on race day...I ended up on plan C on my IM after my years tried and true tested methods for HIMs blew up on me. My only marathon was just a few GUs...and those weren't the reason for things didn't go optimally.
From my limited experience I think you may be able to audible to a B goal, but once things turn sideways it's too late to pursue a backup plan. It's about minimizing the damage and embracing suffering. 

That’s about right from the math perspective, some for more and some have issues fueling so it’s less or nil. I think I will carry 5 and force myself to take them all and sooner than in the past, I think every 4-5 miles is right for me. Waiting too long bc feeling good doesn’t last for me so I’ll try to avoid that this time.  

Even if I do ‘practice with fueling’ it’s only 1 or 2 which is not really a good proxy for eating 5. 

I think I was doing better with fueling in the cycle when covid hit, but I've regressed and it's too late to do anything about it now. I think my prior marathon attempts have failed because I've not consumed enough - and that quantity is more than what you cited (average). I was leaning towards doing honey jam sammy's last time anyway, but I definitely will with this one. Just need to figure out how many. 

That's my way of saying start practicing yesterday. There will be some blind faith to whatever decision you make with this being round one, but between now and then you need to figure out what does not work. 

Thanks guys.  I've done some GUs on runs but never more than 2.  Downing 5 seems miserable, but I also know I need to get those in my system.

My practice plan is going to be based on time rather than distance, since my long runs are obviously at a slower pace.  Not sure if that impacts anything in terms of energy expended, but it seems like the appropriate move.

Time to fire these up I guess :unsure:

This is my strategy.  I purposely had them at mile 4-5 and 9-10 when in previous marathons, I waited until 9-10 for my first dose.  I think it helped in my last marathon. 

Thanks guys.  I've done some GUs on runs but never more than 2.  Downing 5 seems miserable, but I also know I need to get those in my system.

My practice plan is going to be based on time rather than distance, since my long runs are obviously at a slower pace.  Not sure if that impacts anything in terms of energy expended, but it seems like the appropriate move.

GU is gross.  Recommend you try Maurten gel.

You need to get a run of at least 3 hours out there. That time on your feet will prepare you for the day. During that run, you can easily get 4 GU in. To test the GI tract, take one before starting and then do one at least every 45 minutes if not a little less. Then you'll see how you do with it. Make sure you drink with each one.

Also, salted caramel flavor FTW.

Related to gels, I didn’t observe any of the men or women taking them at the olympics. Could have just missed it I guess. I know they have their bottle concoctions with specific ratios of carbs etc at those tables. Wonder if more liquid fuel & less gels is a thing or perhaps with heat also plays a factor.  They are running less time than non elites so that would drop the kcal need I presume. 

You need to get a run of at least 3 hours out there. That time on your feet will prepare you for the day. During that run, you can easily get 4 GU in. To test the GI tract, take one before starting and then do one at least every 45 minutes if not a little less. Then you'll see how you do with it. Make sure you drink with each one.

Also, salted caramel flavor FTW.

Good call on the pre run ingestion  :thumbup:

I bought the variety pack and I honestly dont mind any of the flavors.  I'm a super big fan of the mouth feel  :pickle:

Btw, try the salted caramel. And, if you like it, then I recommend trying this GU flask and getting the large GU package. It's half the price and then you can control how much you take. And no packets to fumble with and try to tear.

Btw, try the salted caramel. And, if you like it, then I recommend trying this GU flask and getting the large GU package. It's half the price and then you can control how much you take. And no packets to fumble with and try to tear.
How well does the Gu flow from a flask?  Or how easily is it squeezed out?  Gu is rather pudding'ish, so it just seems like it'd be hard to get Gu out when the flask is half-filled or less.

Related to gels, I didn’t observe any of the men or women taking them at the olympics. Could have just missed it I guess. I know they have their bottle concoctions with specific ratios of carbs etc at those tables. Wonder if more liquid fuel & less gels is a thing or perhaps with heat also plays a factor.  They are running less time than non elites so that would drop the kcal need I presume. 
I figured it was time on feet thing. Don't need many calories because they aren't spending much time beyond the glyocgen depletion zone. Rules are different for us mortals.

Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYZQBJW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PA41RKBN0G22Q7PD91R4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would probably ingest that easier than 5x gels. Will have to try to see how bouncy it is when full
Here is the flask

Here is the large serving pack

How well does the Gu flow from a flask?  Or how easily is it squeezed out?  Gu is rather pudding'ish, so it just seems like it'd be hard to get Gu out when the flask is half-filled or less.

It comes out very easily.  It's a twist cap so you just twist and squeeze.  The ONLY issue is cleaning it after a race.  Takes a good bit of hot water and shaking to clean out the GU from the inside.

It holds 5 servings and it's got lines on it but you can obviously take however much you want each time you take some.

Watch here

I tried this back on my tri days. Didn't like it. I liked knowing exactly how much I was taking in each time, which the gel pack helped determine. Once it was in a larger flask I felt like I lost that.

And I liked crank EGels, which had more electrolytes than Gu.

Here is the flask

Here is the large serving pack

It comes out very easily.  It's a twist cap so you just twist and squeeze.  The ONLY issue is cleaning it after a race.  Takes a good bit of hot water and shaking to clean out the GU from the inside.

It holds 5 servings and it's got lines on it but you can obviously take however much you want each time you take some.

Watch here
I like it!  I might have to get those (though I might have an older flask somewhere in my stuff from long ago).

Is Accelerade still a thing? That was the IM cocktail of choice back in the Jurassic...figure it would be good for marathons too.

Do you carry multiple bottles during your marathon? 

Doesn't that feel inefficient? 

Do you stop and fill them partway through?

Help me understand.
Either a single handheld or double flasks on my fuel belt.  For marathons, I've tended toward the latter as that accommodates carrying some gels too (although now I'm considering a gel flask).  The weight of the fuel belt is somewhat bothersome early on, but it lightens as I drink and gives me more flexibility at the aid stations.

eta: The MCM had a refill station around mile 19 (like the big Gatorade jugs).  On one hand, a refill would have been useful.  On the other hand, I didn't dare to do a full stop for several seconds for a refill as I didn't know how the restart would go mentally (as it was a full downpour during this point).

Users who are viewing this thread