What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

Fox Valley Final Fall 20 race report

20.17 miles ...2:44:04 ...8:08/mi ...avg HR 159 ...elev 377 ft

As long-planned, this was my final long run of the Boston training cycle (5th 20 miler or more).  I come away from it with some valuable knowledge, but also a number of questions/uncertainties.

Pre-race: The day before wasn't ideal.  It was a full day, starting with by watching my university's cross country teams (their only fan); packet pick-up; then an active afternoon watching our grandsons.  The near-5 year old loves to play tag, wrestle (=beat up on), and play hide-and-seek with papa.  Fun stuff, but not a calm afternoon.  Throughout, I didn't drink enough fluids through the day.

Race morning: Good news/bad news was a 7:00 a.m. start with a race site 45 minutes from my house.   So up at 4:30 am to catch some breakfast (oatmeal), stretch, and poop.  The race runs through a series of small towns along the Fox River well west of Chicago.  Before arriving at the site, I pulled into an empty parking lot nearby for a discreet pee into an old Gatorade bottle ...more convenient than fighting the lines near the start area.  Lots of street parking very close to the start.  Did a mile+ warm-up, which felt good ...was able to easily pick it up to a sub-8:00/mi pace, which usually takes a longer warm-up.  Scooted down to the corral and had to rather aggressively make my way reasonably close to the front.  The total crowd for the mass start of the 5K, HM, 20 miler, and marathon was about 1,500.  

Temp at the start was in the 60s with some humidity.  Much of the course was along the river (generally up one side and down the other), so I had quite a bit of shade for the first 15 miles.   Of note, though, temps climbed into the 70s later in the race, and as mentioned on Strava, as I was finishing I heard them announce that they were in red alert weather conditions.  Suck index at the end was close to 140.

A consideration throughout is that I ran this: a) with no taper; b) in increasingly tough weather conditions; and c) without my Vaporflys.

Miles 1-11 ...avg pace = 7:54/mile

It took a bothersome half-mile or so for some room to open up, but the first mile did end up on pace.  These were great miles and answered a key question: Can I comfortably cruise at a sub-8:00/mi pace with a controlled HR (HR stayed under 160)?  Doing this for 11 miles is a ton different than doing it for 26 miles, but given the above factors, I was very pleased with this ...to know I can float along at this pace.  Between the other racers, the weaving course, and a fair number of spectators and volunteers, I had a lot of stimuli through the first 8 miles before the large crowd of HMers broke off.  Miles 9-11 were very isolated ...just running along the river trail with few runners or spectators around.  I did catch up to a marathoner at one point and we chatted for a bit before I moved on.

Miles 12-15 ...avg pace = 8:06/mile

Mile 12 was kind of choppy as my route crossed back over the river and started heading back.  Miles 13-15 were very isolated as the trail followed slightly rolling terrain mostly through a forested area along the river.  Kind of weird to be running in a race and not see another soul for a couple of miles.  I could tell during these three miles that I was losing my 'pop' on the rolling course and as the heat was starting to build.  So this is where the questions begin: How much of this was due to the weather and the lack of a taper?  Or is my race endurance not where I want/hope it to be?

Miles 16-18 ...avg pace 8:30/mile

This opened back up along the river, meaning the morning sun was now a factor.  I realized that my legs had no juice anymore.  :kicksrock:   I didn't stress it, since this wasn't a competitive race.  So I just poked along.  This stretch reconnected with the very back end of the HM crowd, which was mainly a bunch of walkers at this point.  I didn't seem to be much better than them as I lollygagged along.

Miles 19/20 ...9:20; 8:48 

lol.  I don't know why I totally putzed through mile 19.  At an early aid station, I took generous time to grab a couple cups of Gatorade and walk along while I drank.  The running pace probably had slipped and was consistent with mile 20.  Mile 20 actually went by quickly, and that is probably because I was back in the open and running along a road ...more people; more sights; more distractions.

Final stretch ...7:38/mi

As I reached and turned the final corner, I went back to an actual racing stride and cruised in nicely.  How much earlier could I have turned the jets back on?  Unsure.  Of note, in checking their results, the final mat did not pick up my chip.  So it all doesn't count?  IF they had recorded my time, I would have been 21st out of 437.

So I'm unsure of what this all means.  Should I be optimistic that the 7:54 pace felt so good?  Adding in the Vaporflys could a) lower that pace further and/or b) allow a similar pace at a lower HR.  Or should I be rightfully cautious that I lost my legs after mile 15?  That could be due to the heat and lack of taper ...but what if it's more than that?   Quite simply, my pace faded as the race went on.  I suppose it's good to come out of this with an air of caution, which should serve to keep me cautious in Boston.  

I still have time for about four more SOS workouts, and I'll use those for intervals and hills.  I expect to run a longer tempo run next weekend with the Vaporflys to see how that compares to yesterday's effort.  Temps are supposed to break here in a couple of days, thankfully.

So I'm unsure of what this all means.  Should I be optimistic that the 7:54 pace felt so good?  Adding in the Vaporflys could a) lower that pace further and/or b) allow a similar pace at a lower HR.  Or should I be rightfully cautious that I lost my legs after mile 15?  That could be due to the heat and lack of taper ...but what if it's more than that?   Quite simply, my pace faded as the race went on.  I suppose it's good to come out of this with an air of caution, which should serve to keep me cautious in Boston.  
Yes to all this. You didn’t need to stay as focused once you hit your goal over the first half or so. Pace over 20 miles wasn’t relevant, more so just time on feet and tired legs without over burdening recovery.  That’s a long time to ‘not race’ a long run, I think it was wise to cruise it as you did. Your cycle has been very strong.

Tapered, cooled (hopefully), race environment, hydrated, fueled, shooz-ed will be $$$$. 

@tri-man 47, selfish motivation behind this inquiry, but how would you describe your 5 days pre race? Talking specifically from a running and not grandpa perspective. I'm trying to game plan for this Saturday. 

@tri-man 47, selfish motivation behind this inquiry, but how would you describe your 5 days pre race? Talking specifically from a running and not grandpa perspective. I'm trying to game plan for this Saturday. 
Admittedly - no specific routines.  The one thing I'll try to target is avoiding a lot of red meat, which doesn't digest as well for me.  I'll typically try to keep a good focus on my fluid intake (but did a poor job the day before).  Running-wise, before an endurance event, I'd say I typically have two rest days in that five-day span.  The other days are shorter runs with some moderate intervals or accelerations.  Before this 20-miler though, I had days of 9 miles; 11 miles (w/9 at 7:53/mi on a hilly course); rest; 9 miles; rest.  So ...not a taper!

I wish that I had developed a "winning" formula through all these years, but the reality is that after a long, hard training cycle, the main thing I do is back off mentally and physically from the hard training and mentally focus on the course and my mantras.  

tri-man 47 said:
Admittedly - no specific routines.  The one thing I'll try to target is avoiding a lot of red meat, which doesn't digest as well for me.  I'll typically try to keep a good focus on my fluid intake (but did a poor job the day before).  Running-wise, before an endurance event, I'd say I typically have two rest days in that five-day span.  The other days are shorter runs with some moderate intervals or accelerations.  Before this 20-miler though, I had days of 9 miles; 11 miles (w/9 at 7:53/mi on a hilly course); rest; 9 miles; rest.  So ...not a taper!

I wish that I had developed a "winning" formula through all these years, but the reality is that after a long, hard training cycle, the main thing I do is back off mentally and physically from the hard training and mentally focus on the course and my mantras.  
Thanks, since I didn't race during this training plan I decided to do a long goal pace training run 4 weeks out. Then I realized as I was planning my week that I have no idea what I should do the week of to prepare for it. Your race report was just very timely as what you set out to do was similar to what I had been pondering a few hours earlier. I don't think taking the foot off the gas would be wise, but if that's the priority then this isn't a hold onto your butts sorta week either. 

Thanks, since I didn't race during this training plan I decided to do a long goal pace training run 4 weeks out. Then I realized as I was planning my week that I have no idea what I should do the week of to prepare for it. Your race report was just very timely as what you set out to do was similar to what I had been pondering a few hours earlier. I don't think taking the foot off the gas would be wise, but if that's the priority then this isn't a hold onto your butts sorta week either. 
Yeah, it's like what @bushdocda said ...safer to not create a long recovery period from overexerting.  Ultimately, that was Plan D - Do no harm.

Yeah, it's like what @bushdocda said ...safer to not create a long recovery period from overexerting.  Ultimately, that was Plan D - Do no harm.
Right! My purpose for the Saturday morning is part test/part confidence booster. Nothing to be gained pushing through if the body starts screaming uncle earlier than desired though. I'm sure I'll at least match my previous goal pace high of 11 miles, but how much further depends on what my HR says throughout. 

Pain levels have been quite uncomfortable for me since about a week before my half marathon.  You might have noticed slower paces for me on Strava.  I'm trying to do what I can but feel limited.

I went to the doctor today.  Here is what is officially wrong with me.  I predicted ischial bursitis.  Yay for me.  The hip bursitis was something I was first diagnosed with in 2010 and not something I'm concerned with.  Just sprains in both hamstrings is good news, I guess.

He coaxed me into agreeing to go to physical therapy again.  I start tomorrow.  He recommended a specific therapist and the script reads "MANUAL THERAPY REQUIRED!!!" so hopefully I'll have a better experience than usual.  We'll see.

The plan now is to get a shot for the ischial bursitis shortly before the marathon. 

When discussing over-the-counter pain relief he recommended a topical.  He forgot to write the name down and I don't remember.  Do any of you doctors have an idea?

Running-wise I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.  I'll race with the pain if I need to but hopefully these steps will help.

Pain levels have been quite uncomfortable for me since about a week before my half marathon.  You might have noticed slower paces for me on Strava.  I'm trying to do what I can but feel limited.

I went to the doctor today.  Here is what is officially wrong with me.  I predicted ischial bursitis.  Yay for me.  The hip bursitis was something I was first diagnosed with in 2010 and not something I'm concerned with.  Just sprains in both hamstrings is good news, I guess.

He coaxed me into agreeing to go to physical therapy again.  I start tomorrow.  He recommended a specific therapist and the script reads "MANUAL THERAPY REQUIRED!!!" so hopefully I'll have a better experience than usual.  We'll see.

The plan now is to get a shot for the ischial bursitis shortly before the marathon. 

When discussing over-the-counter pain relief he recommended a topical.  He forgot to write the name down and I don't remember.  Do any of you doctors have an idea?

Running-wise I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.  I'll race with the pain if I need to but hopefully these steps will help.
Glad you got a diagnosis to work with and hope the PT can take the edge off and help reduce inflammation.

Topical OTC (#notadoctor) I like is Arnicare gel. Doesn’t burn like some can if misplaced and seems to work at least as good if not better.  

Juxtatarot said:
Did you have your therapy session yet? I am curious to hear how it went. It sucks that you're dealing with these injuries.

Did you have your therapy session yet? I am curious to hear how it went. It sucks that you're dealing with these injuries.
Yes, at 7:00 this morning.  First sessions are a lot of questions and testing so we didn’t do that much work.  They will do the Graston technique  on the hamstrings. They did that for my Achilles years ago. I was hoping for something more aggressive. I’m not sure how much it will help. We’ll see. Otherwise, it will be basic hamstring stretches and strengthening.  I am suppose to do my exercises three times a day.  Probably a good idea but I’ll get sick of them soon.  

Overall, I feel OK about things.  These injuries are things that can be fixed.  The older we get, the more we should appreciate that.  I think I’ll be OK for the marathon as long as I make even minor improvements.  I might need to add some time to my goals although not too much.

xulf said:
Well...now I've tested positive for COVID (pcr).

3 weeks until the marathon  :unsure:

ETA - fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Wife took a rapid and was negative, youngest daughter seems ok.  We are testing her tomorrow.
This is my worst nightmare as I need a negative test to fly to London.  

i hope you have little to no symptoms and it has minimal impact on your marathon.  

xulf said:
Well...now I've tested positive for COVID (pcr).

3 weeks until the marathon  :unsure:

ETA - fully vaccinated with Pfizer.  Wife took a rapid and was negative, youngest daughter seems ok.  We are testing her tomorrow.
####. Hope it’s a super mild case for all and that you’re already most the way through it. Allow yourself to rest and recover and silver lining running wise is a bit of time for the hammy. GL GB. 

This is my worst nightmare as I need a negative test to fly to London.  

i hope you have little to no symptoms and it has minimal impact on your marathon.  

####. Hope it’s a super mild case for all and that you’re already most the way through it. Allow yourself to rest and recover and silver lining running wise is a bit of time for the hammy. GL GB. 

Symptoms are not horrible but I'm still out of commission.  Stuffy nose, dull headache constantly (even after taking ibuprofen), chills, and waking up in a huge pool of sweat while shivering in the morning.  I've definitely had colds/flus worse than this.  I also have some muscle aches, which is probably a combo of COVID and this forced tapering.

I actually ran on Tuesday before my PCR test and the first of my chills and it was brutal.  I'll need for this to clear out before resuming anything. 

As @bushdocda mentioned it should help the hammy but any goals I had for the race are out the window (minus just finishing)...but. what are you going to do  :shrug:

Youngest daughter tested positive today.  She only has a stuffy nose.

Likely Voltaren gel.

Spending the weekend in the Tampa area (Madeira Beach, to be exact) with the wife and kid. I’ve been here before, but it’s been a while.

Two observations. First, give me a good ol’ polar vortex over this #### any day of the week. Second, mad props to @JShare87 for training in this slop every day. No way I’d make it as a runner down here.

Spending the weekend in the Tampa area (Madeira Beach, to be exact) with the wife and kid. I’ve been here before, but it’s been a while.

Two observations. First, give me a good ol’ polar vortex over this #### any day of the week. Second, mad props to @JShare87 for training in this slop every day. No way I’d make it as a runner down here.

T&Ps.  Sounds like a really tough situation to deal with.

2 years ago I ran the 5K portion of the Chicago Half Marathon.  Today I stumbled upon the same race.  Instead of acknowledging how great is that running events are occuring, my reaction was "look at these g damn runners tie-ing up the whole lakefront path". 

(Once I found a way around them, it was cool to see a live event with 1000's on Lake Shore Drive)

It may just be me, but it seems like a lot of you are going through rough patches right now. I have no clue if my weekly updates help, but I hope they do. The last several weeks have been a struggle for me and having this community in my mind has helped clear those hurdles that have been in front of me.

Week 14 - almost there!

I haven't gone over the cliff, but I'm teetering on the edge. That was by design though. The 4 day stretch last week's intent was to force me to navigate these 2 weeks while tired. And boy am I. This was my 5th straight week of 60+ miles, but this one just made it to 60 and if my HR was too elevated on today's recovery I'd have tapped out before I got there.

Mostly a ho-hum week outside of Saturday's long, but the Tuesday double was definitely something. We had a nasty front coming through Wed, so I didn't know if I'd run. I knew we were doing hill repeats at XC practice that night, but I decided to do 800 repeats anyway. Although in my exhausted state I can't count and only did 7 instead of 8  :shrug:

But this week was all about Saturday. Saturday's workout was a long pace run. I wanted to do it Sunday when I could rest and do it around 9, but we decided to go to Jimmy Buffett Saturday night. This meant I had to do it before XC on Saturday and finish at the meet location. I was sound asleep a few minutes after 9 Friday night and actually woke up before my 5 am alarm. Tuesday's double wore me out and Thursday's 9 on top of all prior applied the right amount of fatigue to mix with some (emphasis on some) pop in my legs. After a couple warm up miles it was go time.

7:00/6:53/6:51/6:49/6:50 (aHR 148) - the first 5 miles were going to tell the story. I wanted to get as much of the headwind work out of the way early because that's what can send my HR in a downward spiral. I was okay with seeing 15X readings as long as it didn't get too far into it. I had a few different routes in mind, so if my HR was giving warning signs I'd adjust and go downwind knowing I wouldn't finish the workout, but I'd get more out of it. I didn't need to pull that trigger though. My legs were tired, but my HR was good enough so I stuck to the script.

6:45/6:56/6:49/6:55 (aHR 147) - these 4 miles would say whether I'd go beyond 12. After the first 5 I was confident I'd get to 12, but beyond? Would my HR stay in the same zone as the first 5 with the wind at my back? And that question was answered with an emphatic yes. At this point I knew I'd get to 14 without exploding my HR and possibly screwing up the week to come. 

6:43/6:41/6:40/6:39 (aHR 148) - this was both down hill and down wind, so I ran strictly to HR. I was hoping that would be a faster pace than the first 9 miles, which they were. At no point did I feel much more uncomfortable than early in the run. The legs were clearly tired, but not tangibly different than 10 miles ago.

6:40 (154 HR) - the last mile was intentionally into the wind. I wanted to finish uncomfortable, especially because I was able to keep my HR in control for the first 13 miles. I didn't have concerns about letting loose then paying the bill later. This hurt a lot more than the HR indicates, but I think doing so will help me come the real thing.

Technically I still have one more week of peak training, but aside from the weekend long I may take the foot off the gas this week. I was surprised today's recovery went as well as it did, so I haven't closed the door on some mid-week SoS. We'll see how I feel come Tuesday. But for now, I'm going to bed. A place I intend to spend a lot of time this week. Cause I'm ####### exhausted. But reading where some of you are right now it could be a whole lot worse. Preciate you guys for offering that perspective.

I have to admit I’ll was pretty down at the start of last week, after successfully completing 8 weeks of marathon training I had 3 less than ideal training weeks.

Week 1 was the week of the tornado here, nothing I could really do about that. 45 miles

Week 2: I was reminded why I shouldn’t race in mid to early September, this is peak allergy season and I couldn’t get through a normally easy workout of 6x800s. Also anniversary weekend, so I didn’t really want to go into the tank with a long run that weekend. Figured I be refreshed and ready to really get back into training the following week. 54 miles

Week 3: On Thursday morning, noticed some tightness in my left calf and decided to skip my afternoon run. Woke up Friday morning and the calf felt fine so I went ahead to attempt 7 miles at tempo. It felt fine during the warmup, but I felt it during my 2nd tempo mile and I shut it down after 3. Decided to take another rest day Saturday and on Sunday morning the calf felt fine and went out not knowing how far I would end up running, the schedule called for 24 miles. Around mile 9 I started to feel the calf so I shut it down after 10.  49 miles

Last week

I didn’t know what to expect for this week with the calf. Calf held up for Monday’s 6 miler, 10 on Tuesday, 10 on Wednesday, and 6 easy on Thursday. On Friday I decided to attempt the 7 mile tempo again, it was successful with no issues with the calf. Sunday I went out hoping to run 24, the calf held up but in miles 19 and 20 I was tiring and stopped at the house to get water. Had a good 10 minute debate with myself about going back out there for the final 4 miles but decided it was more important to finish the week healthy than get back out there. 70 miles

I’m conflicted, feeling lucky that I am not injured but frustrated that these 3 weeks will force me to change some things. With the marathon being the goal race I will no longer be able to taper for Broad Street which is less than 2 weeks away. I have been really efficient from a HR/pace perspective so I still think I have a decent opportunity ahead of me for the marathon. I’ll learn more about my fitness in the next 2 weeks as I’ll attempt 6x1000 tomorrow morning, 20 with 14@MP Friday, and Broad Street on Oct 10. I wish I didn’t have the Bourbon Chase scheduled Oct 15-16, and it would be better if Monumental was later in November but I’ll have to be flexible.

had to run the half block for the bus again with Floppinha... and while the achilles hurt a bit, it wasn't the same level as a week or so ago. hopefully the rest and daily ingestion of the anti-inflammatories are making a difference. still haven't been doing the PT. :bag:

Week 10 - legs are feeling pretty loaded. 51.5 miles, about 7 hr 45 mins running and a gang of stretching. I keyed this week on the first 10 mile goal pace run. 

M - 3x2 miles under goal pace. This is usually a tough workout but cool morning made it very good session. 

F - Pushed the goal run to Friday based on big morning rains Weds and Thurs and travel Friday that would impact long run weekend. Got out early Friday and nailed the goal pace run.  Will take the next ones in faster shoes than I wore for this one.  HR and pace are marrying up pretty well and cooler conditions are really providing a nice boost.

Lots of dirt trail this week while away should be a bit of a relief on the sore legs.

Onward. 

My weekly update:  I ran a few times. 

My wife's weekly update:  Well, I haven't been doing these but I'll go and throw it out there now.  She took the advice here and has worked on upping her mileage. 

The week after the marathon, keep it easy at 18 miles, then bumped it up to 27 and 30 before starting the cycle 3 weeks after J&J.  Since then she's been at 47.4/50/58.5/50.5/53/56.

Not a ton of speed work, but she's been working on the long runs and feeling strong despite the increased volume.  Hopefully this ends up paying off.  She's never had that kind of consistent volume even when she trained well as that was mostly in the 40-45 mpw range.

I ended up with 68 miles last week. I guess that’s a lot for someone who started physical therapy. Overall I ran slower on average than many weeks but faster than I have the last few. I mostly just settled into a pace my body and brain could agree with.

I moved my long run to Sunday because the physical therapist wanted to work me somewhat hard on Friday and thought I would be sore. My plan for the long run was to ease into things and then later try to get down below marathon pace. I never quite made it there but was close with the last handful of miles at 6:3X pace. My hamstrings felt improved but my glutes were barking and my legs felt really heavy. Overall I’m encouraged by the run. I’m more concerned about the hamstrings since the doc can give me a shot in the ###. I wonder if he’d do it on both cheeks.

From my responses to questions, the physical therapist wants to attack things though strengthening exercises which sounds good to me. My hamstring flexibility is for #### these days but hopefully I can improve that a little too in the coming weeks.

I have no real plan for this week. I’ll just take things day by day and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm deep into taper.  I'm 6 days away from London and feeling pretty tired as I had a 6 hour flight to and from Seattle this week. 

Trying to rest and get better but lots of things pulling at me.  Fly out on the red eye to London Wednesday night and land Thursday morning. 

Wife wants to do some touristy stuff, which I'm not loving but trying to do that Thursday/Friday so Saturday can be more lowkey. 

Feeling like a PR (3:12) would be a miracle at this point. :(

tri-man 47 said:
I think 3:12 (7:20/mi) would be more of a B goal.  I feel you've got a very good shot at 3:08-3:10 (7:10-7:15/mi), given the excellent training you've put in.
I think he can go even faster than that if he gives himself the chance.  Captain Sandbagger, ladies and gentlemen...

I think his tempered expectations are less fitness related and more schedule. There are a lot of words to describe his last week or two amidst the taper, but relaxing sure isn't one of them. Although this is the same guy that caught a red eye (from Vegas?) and smashed NYC, so it isn't like he lacks experience effectively racing under duress.

Glad some of the more experienced runners have spoken up, based on that training cycle I was thinking 3 hrs flat was the goal. 3:12 will be easy!(speaking from the viewpoint of never having run more than 15 miles in one shot)

tri-man 47 said:
I think 3:12 (7:20/mi) would be more of a B goal.  I feel you've got a very good shot at 3:08-3:10 (7:10-7:15/mi), given the excellent training you've put in.
My logic: I see mile repeats at ~6:30/mi....3 mile repeats at ~6:40-6:45/mi ...10 mile tempos at ~ 6:55-7:00/mi.  Granted, those are all amid very heavy mileage weeks.  Holding that 10 mile pace when rested, in fast shoes, and in competition isn't out of the question.  But I'm allowing a little buffer and speculating a 7:10/mi pace.  Or better, 'cause he's a BMF.

Got in 5 miles today.  Covid effects are very apparent.  Claminess, many moments of sweating profusely, and hard to get a full breath. HR was also way up, as could be expected.  

Hammy is in better shape, but still isnt 100%.

I knew this was going to be bad, but at least it's out of the way.  I need the breathing to fix itself if I have any chance to run on 10/17.

tri-man 47 said:
My logic: I see mile repeats at ~6:30/mi....3 mile repeats at ~6:40-6:45/mi ...10 mile tempos at ~ 6:55-7:00/mi.  Granted, those are all amid very heavy mileage weeks.  Holding that 10 mile pace when rested, in fast shoes, and in competition isn't out of the question.  But I'm allowing a little buffer and speculating a 7:10/mi pace.  Or better, 'cause he's a BMF.
I agree with this, @SteelCurtainis being real conservative with his goal.

The difference between running in Florida on Sunday at 77/74 and this morning here at 52/48 was ridiculous.  I can definitely see how people say that training in massive humidity is analogous to training at altitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread