What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

While I had not taken any rest days in some time I took the foot off the gas last week then I finally took an actual rest day on Sunday. I think that ensured I didn't go over the cliff. Given my HR readings on the 14 mile goal MP run Sep 25 I am mildly surprised I've been dealing with this. Had my HR gone haywire I'd have pulled the plug early and what I've been experiencing the last 10 days is exactly why. I suppose I was already past the line before that run, I dunno.

And the stress is absolutely more than just training. I don't remember if I shared this before but over the last 3 months there was a wave of unrelated resignations in my area. Before it I was essentially #3a on a team of 10. I've been #1 on a team of 6 (and now 7) since August though. I've been essentially tasked with doing the jobs of #1, #2, and #3b (as well as my own 3a work) during our busiest time of year while amidst peak training. A new #1 is starting in a few days, but it will be some time before she's acclimated and takes some work off my plate allowing me to settle into my new #2 role. Then hopefully at that time we can make informed decisions as it relates to the still vacated 3b and my own former 3a positions. So it isn't like there's a light at the end of the tunnel either.

Yadda yadda yadda, it goes without saying that had I known this would happen I would not be trying to qualify for Boston right now. 

EDIT: and I have a massage scheduled race week. Wife's given me a couple and promised more, but I'm gonna need the work of a pro too.

Hope you figure it out @MAC_32  I ran a stretch like this at my work then they sold the company.

April-May 70 hour weeks.

June 50 hour weeks

July 1 company sold

July 15 the previous outfit ####ed up my last paycheck and it still hasn't been address.

July 20 New company says I'm welcome to say....30-40% pay cut and vacation dropping from 5 weeks (20 years) to 1 week.

July 22 Resigned

August/September new company is refusing to pay me for all my work in July.

October I have 2 months of rent payments tied up in the original company's bank.

Looks like I will be hiring a lawyer and filing complaints with the state to resolve all this.  Been busy focusing on moving forward so I haven't turned up the heat on these issues but it's coming.

Still pretty sure I made the right decision by skipping Boston today, but man....I started having some serious second thoughts when I started seeing all the Facebook/Instagram posts from my friends.  Pretty sure I'm not gonna go next year, either, as I'm tentatively planning to do R2R2R in early April.

Wishing all the best today to @SteelCurtainand @tri-man 47 .  Weather doesn't look too terrible right now (for normal people) - 64/59, with a moderate (9 mph) headwind from the NNE.

If it wouldn't have been too late to get my bib and do my vaccine check, I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have caught a last-minute flight yesterday...

Also, with the marathon happening now and Brewers/Braves starting at 12:07pm, I'm getting absolutely NOTHING done at work today...

Pretty sure I'm not gonna go next year, either, as I'm tentatively planning to do R2R2R in early April.

My capability to get to the starting line lately is miserable (sigh), but I actually have a hotel booked for 6Apr-8Apr (run on 7Apr) at the south rim for my own (hopeful) attempt.  Happy to pool efforts if you like, even if it just means I wave bye to you at the start, and then you pass me in the canyon on your return...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude took off at start. Still holding a 1 min 40 second lead at almost 30k. He might be crazy enough to hold on but the power of the pack is strong. 

Our boys are heading out soon. 

My capability to get to the starting line lately is miserable (sigh), but I actually have a hotel booked for 6Apr-8Apr (run on 7Apr) at the south rim for my own (hopeful) attempt.  Happy to pool efforts if you like, even if it just means I wave bye to you at the start, and then you pass me in the canyon on your return...
Will be running with a couple buddies who've done it before, so they'll be handing logistics, but I'll definitely keep you in the loop!

Broad Street Run 2021 Race Report

We’re all addicts aren’t we? According to the McMillan Calculator I ran my best race ever at the end of a 70 mile week and I keep thinking back to the 2 seconds. This is my first PR in 3 years so I am trying to enjoy it a bit. Heck this might be my peak. 

Going into this one I really didn’t know what to expect, like I mentioned before I had 3 weeks where training didn’t go as planned and I couldn’t taper for this one with the focus being the marathon. Last week I front loaded my mileage and my legs felt dead on every run until my 6 mile recovery on Saturday.  The fact that I hadn’t run a single mile under 6 minutes since Aug 21 (in a 5k) gave me some doubt. Things that I felt were working in my favor were I has these magic shoes, I am 5 lbs lighter than my PR racing weight, and I have shown in the past to race well in marathon training (2015 10K). I didn’t really have a plan for this except run the first mile as close to 6:00 and see how that felt.

Prerace meal was 3 scrambled eggs, water, and coffee around 5 AM for 8 AM start. (more of a note for me)

First mile felt good in fact I had to slow myself down, felt good and relaxed. I followed the approach I saw Gene Dykes use a couple years back of running on the left side of the road where it is less crowded. Came in at 5:59 right at the mile marker.

I didn’t get too excited about the first mile as it is a mostly downhill, mile 2 would give me more info as to what I would be capable of. Mile didn’t feel as easy as 1 but it felt appropriate. I started to get excited that I have a real opportunity ahead of myself today. 5:56

Mile 3 it started raining which was kind of nice, came in at 6:00 right at the mile marker.

Mile 4 someone gets my attention and says something like I thought that was you. It was the guy that introduced himself to me at the last 5K. He was wearing a Go Pro and turned it on and asked if I had anything to say. Looking back I was kind of rude, but I respond that I have nothing to say and he let me go on my way. I feel bad about this interaction but I was focused on the task at hand. 5:58

Mile 5 was uneventful 5:58.

Mile 6 is where you run around City Hall and GPS goes to crap, so I really had to focus here to maintain my pace. I got to the 6 mile marker at 35:57 and feeling real good. I am going to do this.

Mile 7 My watch was showing that I was running faster than goal pace and the miles are getting more difficult. I got to the mile marker at 42:03 and I remember being a bit confused momentarily but I was confident I could make up those 3 seconds.

Mike 8 is where I realized I couldn’t be pacing myself off of other runners, I needed to be passing people if I am going to do this. I get this one in at 5:56.

Mile 9 I am doing everything that I can to just run a sub 6 mile, and my watch showed that I did 5:58. I get to the mile 9 marker 53:54. All I have to do it run a sub 6 minute mile and I have it.

Usually there are no turns on this course after City Hall, but because of construction in the Navy Yard there are a few turns the last mile of the race.  Right after the 9 mile marker there was a left hand turn into the wind. This was rough and I noticed my pace was slower around 6:10. I wasn’t panicking knowing that the wind would be to my back the last half mile. After a couple of turns I try picking up the pace seeing that my lap pace is 6:03 and I feel my hamstring tightening up. I tried to keep my strides short and I work my lap pace to 6:00 with about ¼ mile to go. I see race clock in the distance and realize that it is going to be much closer than I expected. I gave it all I had but I couldn’t get my legs to move any faster. I finish stopped the watch and was shocked to see it said 1:00:00, my watch had me at a 5:58 last mile.

I was hoping that I stopped my watch a sec after finishing. I get my checked bag with my phone in it and it has a text with a screenshot from the wife with 1:00:01, WTF. I guess the mile 9 marker was off a bit, if I knew I was behind going into that last mile I think I would broke 60. I didn’t even vomit.

Running is funny, this may be as good as it gets and I am still not satisfied. I need to get through the next 2 weeks of training, I think I have shot at 2:55.

Now back to Boston tracking.

Tri splitting right at about 8 min miles through 10k. 

Steel leading his followers through town on plan at about 8:30 per through 10k. 

This app is nice.  Gotta head to a meeting. 
Splits holding within seconds through half for both. Both are on schedule. 

I probably said this in a prior year but didn’t realize the start is so late at Boston. 

Goal is 3:3x.  I don’t know that I dare push a sub-8:00 pace at Boston, given the humidity and the late hills.  I’m sure the first 5K will be fast, but I’ll keep the HR in the 140s.  I intend to keep the HR at or below 155 through the HM point (any fast pacing is within that parameter).  The key will be still having my legs later in the race, which became an issue three weeks ago.  I do have the Vaporfly edge working for me.
Tri is right on the aggressive line of where he wanted to be and hopefully has HR reasonably where mentioned above.

You love to see it. LFG. 

I post this from the top of Heartbreak Hill at the Boston Marathon.

London Marathon Race Report – October 3, 2022

London is considered one of the six stars of Marathon Running.  Along with Berlin, Boston, Chicago, New York and Tokyo, London makes up one of the six major marathons.  There is an entire extra medal and contest in running all six. Historically, London is held the third weekend of April, a time where my job would prevent me from participating in this race.  I can’t get away even for the weekend during that time of year.  I had ruled out pursuing the six stars, until COVID.  COVID changed everything because London was moved to early October.  I saw an opportunity to run London.  It is the most difficult of the majors to get into as an international participant.  There are no time qualifiers and the ballot historically receives nearly half a million entries for approximately 17,000 spots.  I was incredibly fortunate to find a tour operator who had a bib available, so I booked it!

My PR was at Indianapolis Marathon in 2019. I ran 3:12:43 that day and I said to myself, I’m not sure I can run any faster.  During the summer of 2020 during COVID, I became injured with a strained glute which shut down my running for over a month.  I carefully navigated my way back.  Starting with weeks of runs 3-4 minutes per mile SLOWER than my marathon pace runs.  I started a strengthening program, stretching program, I stayed away from hills (as vertical will aggravate it).  Over time, I managed the glute carefully.  I spent many hours this past winter riding my Peloton stationary bike as another way to strengthen my legs, allow my body to recover from the pounding of running, and keep my glute on the road to health.

I chose to follow the Hanson’s high mileage plan which made most of training weeks around 70-80 miles.  It was a lot of miles, but I could feel myself making progress and strengthening every week.  The heat and humidity of the summer was another challenge but one I have always embraced.  What is hard makes you stronger!

I started to zero in on a goal for London.  I was eyeing 3:10.  Some of my training suggested I could have gone faster, but I know the marathon is a beast and if you overstretch your goal, you will pay dearly.  In order to attempt by goal, I wanted to start mile 1 at 7:45pace.  Mile 2 at 7:30 pace.  Mile 3-13.1 would be around 7:11 pace.  Miles 13.1 – 21ish would be 7:15pace.  Mile 21-26.2 – just empty the tank.

I woke up after pretty good sleep. I arrived on Thursday before the Sunday race, so I had a couple days to get my jetlag reduced.  Might have been a little bit of drain from travel and doing touristy things on Thursday and Friday, however, nothing that would stop me from executing the plan.

We gathered in three distinctly different areas at the start.  I was in the blue wave and we were out on this large grassy area in a park.  The typical amenities with hundreds (if not thousands) of porta potties, many large containers for recycling, garbage and clothing collection. There was music being played and a DJ/Host person who tried to entertain, while also play music, let people know the status of the timing as well as helping the owner of the cell phone that was turned in.  There was a very large screen (much like would be at centerfield of a baseball game) giving us an opportunity to see the wheelchair start as well as the elites take off.  I found a place to sit quietly on my garbage bag (I always bring a garbage bag to the start.  So many good uses for it, this morning, I sat on it so the wet dew stayed off my clothes.) I was in a zen mode trying to just picture what I wanted to do with my race. I considered the wind and how I would handle if the 20 mph headwind for most of the course came to fruition.

I was in wave 3 (out of 17), so I was gathering rather early in the Wave 3 holding pen.  Which wasn’t much more than a large caged in area where people were doing last minute warmups, adjustments to clothes, some men (and a few brave women) found places to relieve themselves, etc.  We were in the pen probably 15 minutes, but we could see the cadence as we watched wave 1 go off, then three minutes later, wave 2 went…..and three minutes later, we took off. 

It was slightly anticlimactic to not have a starters gun, fireworks, some musical selection choreographed for the actual beginning of our wave.  Regardless, it was fine for me.  It was time to go to work.

Mile 1

7:42 pace /131 average heart rate – Got across the start and in the first quarter mile, I was running a 7:10pace.  I pulled it back as I wanted to truly warm up this mile (hence my 7:45 goal).  I put my estimated race time as 3:09 so presumably I was with all similar paced individuals.  Like any big race, there is some traffic concerns early and London was no different.

Mile 2 – 7:29/135 

I picked up my pace a bit and was running the general speed as many others.  I did think it was a bit more work than I would have liked to go from 7:45 to 7:30, but those feelings are natural as we warmup the legs.

Mile 3 – 7:09/135  (ate a banana)

Mile 4 – 7:09/140

The largest downhill of the course was mile 3 and the start of mile 4.  I wanted 7:11 for the next several miles through the half marathon mark. Knowing I wasn’t running tangents perfectly due to volume of people, a couple seconds faster was probably ideal.

Mile 5 – 7:30/143

Mile 6 – 7:28/142

Mile 7 – 7:24/145

These weren’t intentionally slower but there was significant congestion on the course.  There were clearly some slower runners (over 4 hour runners who started in front of me.)  In addition, London is known for all the costumes.  Some are just silly while others are going for the Guinness Book of World Record. Examples of what I saw, 2 women attempting the fastest marathon while handcuffed, A gentlemen going for the fastest marathon while carrying a bicycle, three men who had 2 pairs of legs taped together, therefore they had 4 “legs” to run together (kind of like the three legged race in elementary school, but this had 3 guys, so there were four legs.)  Someone dressed as a Rubik’s cube, a globe, a large star, a rhinoceros, several men dressed in suits, at least one woman and one man running in heels, a man carrying a large garbage can on his back, etc. 

With all this congestion, I was trying to be patient and wait for the time when the roads would be clear and I could get my pace and keep it consistent.  If there is one thing I like to do when I train or race, is to be as consistent as possible with my pacing. So this race felt like a lot of start stop as I would continually come up on a large pack of people. 

Weaving around people may help keep you on your time goal, but expends a lot of extra energy which one wants to save for later in the race!

Mile 8 – 7:10/145  

Mile 9 – 7:21/147  (had Clif shotblocks)

Mile 10 – 7:04/147

Mile 11 – 7:10/148

Mile 12 - 7:09/148 (had Maurten gel)

This section, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer.  I had to take advantage of moving up where I could.  I weaved a bit more.  I talked with my runners a bit more seeing if I could squeeze by them. I knew I had to push this pace or my goal would be too far gone on the last half.  I decided I needed to run FASTER than 7:11 on this section, so start making up time I had lost. I knew I wouldn’t hit my half marathon goal time, but I was hoping I would be coming in at 1:35:30ish (my goal was 1:34:30-1:35:00.)

Mile 13 – This part goes over the Tower Bridge. I really tried to take this view.  What a special opportunity to run a marathon over this iconic bridge.  My son made a beautiful Lego set of the Tower Bridge and it sits in his room (with its thousands of pieces).  I really enjoyed that moment of going over the bridge.  So I lost focus and ran a 7:12/148 HR.

I got to 13.1 at 1:36:17.  Yikes.  77 seconds slower than goal. I knew all was not lost, but I had some serious work to do to get myself back to where I needed to be.

The next couple miles of the course opened up a bit and allowed me to start to get into a groove. 

Mile 14 – 7:00/149

Mile 15 – 7:07/148

Mile 16 – 7:15/149

Mile 17 – 7:05/152

These miles felt how marathon miles should feel.  I’m not sure why Mile 16 was slower, but I felt I was pushing appropriately. As these numbers came up, I started to count down the 77 seconds down to the 60’s, 50’s, etc.

This next stretch, we were warned about having whacky GPS issues due to tall buildings.  There were also several short tunnels. I don’t think I ran this slow, but perhaps I did.  I didn’t look at my watch often in tunnels and I felt like I held my pace well through here.  Even if the GPS says otherwise.

Mile 18 – 7:14/155 (had maurten gel)

Mile 19 – 7:33/156

It was now time to start going into real race mode. 

Mile 20 – 7:08/154

Mile 21 – 7:11/157

I was now laser focused on my goal.  No more high fiving little kids on the side.  No more chatting to the runner next to me.  Now the focus was to get the legs to churn and turnover. Watch my breathing and push as appropriate.  One challenge here was the wind was directly in our faces.  Approximately 15 miles per hour.  Not a stop you in your tracks type of wind, but one that you know you are pushing harder because of the wind.  Leaves on the ground were blowing towards us and the various race course flags made it clear, the wind was NOT on our side.  After seeing the split for Mile 21, I was mad at myself.  I told myself, I can’t be running 7:11.  I need to make up more time.  However, the roads were tight.  I was still dodging and starting and slowing due to traffic considerations.  I was frustrated.

Mile 22 – 7:03/159 (had Maurten gel)

Mile 23 – 7:01/160

Got back into my rhythm and pushed here.  I was feeling good.  I was definitely pushing but not in pain definitely not red lining the legs.

Mile 24 – 7:15/159

Slowed down here (notice lower heart rate as well) as I was boxed in again.  I needed to move back and out to get around a large group of people.  GRRRRRR

Mile 25 – 7:09/159

Mile 26 – 7:05/160

Last 0.34 – 6:43 pace/162

These last 2.34 miles, I knew what I needed to do to get the sub 3:10 time.  I needed to run a 6:50-6:55pace the rest of the way. After all the stops and starts, I didn’t want to battle that anymore.  I didn’t want to push and fight and get denied by runner traffic  I saw many runners cramping up and I didn’t want to be in that place due to me having to hit the brakes.  Could I have run sub 3:10 if I pushed hard the last 1.5 miles? Yes.  But I wasn’t mentally in the place to go to that pain cave, so I didn’t go all out at the end.  I may regret that decision at some point, but it was a decision I actively made.

Official Time 3:10:17 (Previous PR was 3:12:43)

Overall -- 3144/41,605 

Men -- 2877/21,453

50-54 Age Group – 271/2519

I crossed the finish line so thankful to be able to participate in this sport in a way that provides me joy, satisfaction, challenge and gives me a stress outlet. To stand at the finish line of the London Marathon with a successful personal best time. I’m thankful to have a family who supports my running. My sons have begun to run for their respective cross country teams and I can only hope they get as much satisfaction from running as I have.  I’m thankful for the runner friends I met up with on this trip. Garry, Liz, Faye, Zhanar, Zelia, Stephanie and many more.  Runners are just the best people. 

What’s next?  Going to run Boston Marathon for fun (October 11 – 8 days after London).  I’ll bring my phone and document the experience.  Then a couple weeks off before I lead the 3:30 pace group at Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis.  I will then take a break from significant running miles.  Instead of 70-80 miles per week, I think 20-30 is more realistic. There may be weeks of 50 and other weeks of 0.  I plan to ride my Peloton on those cold winter mornings and incorporate more strength work.  I’ve lost 15 lbs (mostly muscle) in the last 4 months.  Its time to gain much of that back through a much greater emphasis on strength exercises.

BassNBrew said:
After what happened in China, I think any race that deals with that kind of weather is going to shut it down and get people out of there as quickly as possible.  I'm just glad nobody was seriously hurt.

And congrats @tri-man 47 and @Steel Curtain!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread