What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Gents -- a slight change in plans for me for Indianapolis. It appears I'll be pacing the NYC marathon on November 7 (the day after Indianapolis.)

My plan is to still come to Indy on Friday and pace the 3:30 group on Saturday AM.  I will then be leaving immediately after my race and heading to airport as I need to get to NYC.  I think the pacers meet at 5 a.m. on Sunday morning in midtown Manhattan to gather and head over to the start line on a chartered bus. 

I'm sorry I'll be missing the Saturday night festivities. (Can someone please keep an eye on @gruecd?)  But looking forward to Friday evening dinner and Saturday morning race day!
Do epic ####.  :thumbup:

Gents -- a slight change in plans for me for Indianapolis. It appears I'll be pacing the NYC marathon on November 7 (the day after Indianapolis.)

My plan is to still come to Indy on Friday and pace the 3:30 group on Saturday AM.  I will then be leaving immediately after my race and heading to airport as I need to get to NYC.  I think the pacers meet at 5 a.m. on Sunday morning in midtown Manhattan to gather and head over to the start line on a chartered bus. 

I'm sorry I'll be missing the Saturday night festivities. (Can someone please keep an eye on @gruecd?)  But looking forward to Friday evening dinner and Saturday morning race day!
I’ve read this a few times…..are you pacing a marathon Saturday in Indianapolis and then pacing the NYC marathon Sunday?

SteelCurtain said:
Bingo.  Back to back marathons.

4:30 at NYC.  (Hence why I ran a bit slower today as I wanted to see how it felt before I committed to NYC.)
I ran my ### off in Chicago for my 4:31 and you are going to just skip-to-mah-lou-mah-darlin' this pace after running a marathon the day before. In another city.

I hate you.

Tapering is teh suck. I feel fat & out of shape as I start to pack for Ironman California. Looks like some weather blowing in to Sacramento this weekend will make things really interesting. 50% chance of rain and winds 15-25mph with highs & lows in the 50's should make for some great conditions except for the bike. Just have to take it easy around the corners & curves, stay off the paint and remember to hydrate even in the rain. Pre-race recon says that the roads are newly paved with the exception of one area that has pot holes an bumps so just need to get out of aero position and be patient.

I've been training for this for 16 months and I can't believe it's just 5 days away. My whole life has revolved around IM training and work and as much as I can't wait for the start, I'll be very happy when it's over. Anyone that trains for and Ironman has to have an incredible support system and I am fortunate to have that. Mrs. DM is an Ironman so she knew what the commitment was going into this and she has been stellar in every way. My plan all along has been to relax and stay ahead of the cut-offs, that hasn't changed. I feel I'm ready for this in every way possible but any last minute advice from some of the toughest BMF's around would be appreciated.

TIA GB's & BMF'rs

Tapering is teh suck. I feel fat & out of shape as I start to pack for Ironman California. Looks like some weather blowing in to Sacramento this weekend will make things really interesting. 50% chance of rain and winds 15-25mph with highs & lows in the 50's should make for some great conditions except for the bike. Just have to take it easy around the corners & curves, stay off the paint and remember to hydrate even in the rain. Pre-race recon says that the roads are newly paved with the exception of one area that has pot holes an bumps so just need to get out of aero position and be patient.

I've been training for this for 16 months and I can't believe it's just 5 days away. My whole life has revolved around IM training and work and as much as I can't wait for the start, I'll be very happy when it's over. Anyone that trains for and Ironman has to have an incredible support system and I am fortunate to have that. Mrs. DM is an Ironman so she knew what the commitment was going into this and she has been stellar in every way. My plan all along has been to relax and stay ahead of the cut-offs, that hasn't changed. I feel I'm ready for this in every way possible but any last minute advice from some of the toughest BMF's around would be appreciated.

TIA GB's & BMF'rs
Get you some!

Is there a way to track you during the race?  

TIA GB's & BMF'rs

So awesome  :thumbup:

TIA GB's & BMF'rs
Good luck!  I've got a ton of respect and admiration for people who train for Ironman's.  Its a different level of commitment.  My advice -- make sure you enjoy this and recognize your incredible achievement to even make it to the starting line. 

Enjoy!

Get you some!

Is there a way to track you during the race?  
Ironman Tracker....I won't get my bib number until Saturday and I'll try to remember to drop it in here. If not, I'm on the Strava list.

Fair Warning...it's going to be a breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktails kinda day following this old man all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck!  I've got a ton of respect and admiration for people who train for Ironman's.  Its a different level of commitment.  My advice -- make sure you enjoy this and recognize your incredible achievement to even make it to the starting line. 

Enjoy!
Wow, I've been so focused on the race that I haven't given myself that recognition....Thank you! 

Ironman Tracker....I won't get my bib number until Saturday and I'll try to remember to drop it in here. If not, I'm on the Strava list.
Do you have some time goals you can post here so we can see if you are on track?

We kinda nerd out on this stuff on race day around here. Oh, and your estimated transition times would be helpful also.

Thank you! 

Do you have some time goals you can post here so we can see if you are on track?

We kinda nerd out on this stuff on race day around here. Oh, and your estimated transition times would be helpful also.

Thank you! 
Fwiw...

The mandatory Ironman cut-off times are:

Swim Cut-Off: 2 hours 20 minutes

Bike Cut-Off: 10 hours 30 minutes

Maximum Finish Time: 17 hours or Midnight

TIA GB's & BMF'rs
Huge props to you for this, @Dark Matter!!  My attempt at some advice:

- race morning, you'll be a bundle of nerves.  Set a handful of pre-race goals that you can check-off one by one ..from waking up through to arrival at the site, completing your set-up, getting to the swim start, and finally hitting the water.  Each step along the way is a little win as you progress to starting the event.

- if you're focused on cutoffs, that implies the marathon will be rather slow and probably entail some walking (no shame in that).  Plan in advance how you can motivate yourself to begin running again so the walks don't become endless ...heart rate; the clock; light poles; whatever works.  Maybe find a pleasant distraction, too ...count flags or something as you move along.

- As Maya Angelou puts the familiar phrasing, "hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between."

I can't wait to call you "Ironman!"

You know your race prep week is going well when you're busting out a bottle of red on a Tuesday night because the stress ball is wound so tight you know you won't sleep well that night without it. Maybe I'll be smart enough to stop before the bottle runs dry.

TIA GB's & BMF'rs
A friend of mine just finished his first Ironman, I’ve been hammering him with questions.

Asked him about his mental state during the race and he commented that when he was struggling he just looked around and tried to remember all the training and to soak this all in.

Also the Ironman tracker is so good, make sure you post that bib # so we can follow!

Good luck!

If you go to running warehouse, you can get the original Saucony Endorphin Pro for $139 (originally $200) AND you will get a $50 gift card. 

That's a steal for this shoe.
I spent almost $600 today on a Packers/Chiefs ticket, a pair of Freak 3's, and a Bucks hoodie.  And now I'm gonna have to buy another pair of running shoes that I don't really need...

I spent almost $600 today on a Packers/Chiefs ticket, a pair of Freak 3's, and a Bucks hoodie.  And now I'm gonna have to buy another pair of running shoes that I don't really need...
Pretty sure I got you beat. When Nike ID dropped their Custom Vaporfly 2.0s with the Flyknit upper (my favorite shoe ever). I bought 9 pairs and dropped over 2K back in July. They just shipped and should arrive shortly. In my defense, one of the 9 pairs was for my niece who is a runner. My wife doesn’t understand at all. I also plan to enjoy the Packers/Chiefs game. 

Pretty sure I got you beat. When Nike ID dropped their Custom Vaporfly 2.0s with the Flyknit upper (my favorite shoe ever). I bought 9 pairs and dropped over 2K back in July. They just shipped and should arrive shortly. In my defense, one of the 9 pairs was for my niece who is a runner. My wife doesn’t understand at all. I also plan to enjoy the Packers/Chiefs game. 
9 pairs?  That's enough to last the rest of your lifetime.  And by "your" I mean "my."

9 pairs?  That's enough to last the rest of your lifetime.  And by "your" I mean "my."
The thing is, you cannot purchase the Vaporfly Next %s with the Flyknit upper. I was able to grab a pair of the first version when they offered them on Nike ID. I loved them so much because the upper is like a sock, and I don’t need the laces. I only own one pair and have been searching eBay everyday for another. Then, Nike released the 2nd version with the Flyknit upper option, and I went crazy. Bought as many pairs as I could. They sold out after about an hour. I didn’t know if I’d ever have another opportunity to buy this specific shoe again, so I grabbed a bunch to last me your lifetime.

So @MAC_32what is the plan for Sunday? How is the calf? It was good to see you attempt 2 MP miles. How was the bottle of wine?
The bottle of red was fantastic. It led to 5+ hours of good sleep then another 2+ hours of #### sleep, which was vastly better than the 4-5 hours of #### sleep that likely would have resulted without it. Committed to conquering this work stress demon today, so sleep isn't impacted again pre-race. Even if I'm successful I'm still in a horrible neck-up position though. I've been stretched too thin everywhere for months and have spent zero mental energy preparing for this thing. No matter what I do between now and Sunday morning I will be under-prepared. 

But I've cleared all health hurdles needed to toe the line. Therapy session outcome confirmed the strain is healed enough to run. Given the timing of the injury there is no guarantee it'll hold up through a race of that length, but that was known at the original diagnosis. I attacked the injury last week at the gym and as much as I could in the time in between, liberally doing RICE when not. I passed my single leg elevated hop test Saturday then got back out there Sunday. After 5 successful miles a little under 8 minute pace I picked up to MP to see how my body would respond. There were no issues then, later in the day, nor the next morning so I decided to do a little more of the same Monday. After 4 successful miles a little under 8 minute pace as you saw I cranked out 2 successful MP miles without incident. My HR definitely got my attention though. Isn't anything I can do about it right now, but I need to create a few different plans before Sunday. I also have one more therapy appointment scheduled. Wasn't planning on it, but my massage was cancelled because she is recovering from an upper respiratory infection. If she's well enough Friday then I'll try to cancel therapy and do that instead as given all of this stress I think I need that sort of treatment more right now.

So...plan? I need to make one. And I doubt I actually do that before Saturday unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong. 

The thing is, you cannot purchase the Vaporfly Next %s with the Flyknit upper. I was able to grab a pair of the first version when they offered them on Nike ID. I loved them so much because the upper is like a sock, and I don’t need the laces. I only own one pair and have been searching eBay everyday for another. Then, Nike released the 2nd version with the Flyknit upper option, and I went crazy. Bought as many pairs as I could. They sold out after about an hour. I didn’t know if I’d ever have another opportunity to buy this specific shoe again, so I grabbed a bunch to last me your lifetime.
This is so good. 

Columbus Marathon

Background:

The inaugural event!  I came into the training with likely some over ambitious goals.  I was looking to run at ~8:12 pace and come in at 3:35-3:40.  I followed the Advanced Hanson training plan and was doing great until I screwed up my hammy on a 15 miler --- ironically, that 15 mile run was the best run I have ever had.  The hammy issue set me back as I struggled through still getting in the work, but the fitness was dropping.

Then COVID.  F.  Knocked me out and I was never fully “right” with feeling fatigued and my ability to fully breath was compromised.  My V02max dropped from 56 to 50 heading into the race.

The Plan:

I knew that all my time goals were out the window when I ran a 15 miler at ~8:50 (a week and a half before the event) and was dying at the end of it.  I pulled way back on training after that run, knowing I wasn’t going to help myself fitness-wise at that point and being as rested as possible was my best bet.  My new goal was to just finish with wanting to position myself for a <4:00 if everything aligned right.  I wanted to start out at ~9:30 and slowly work my way down to ~8:45 (my long run pace) and hope to squeeze in under 4:00.

Miles 1-5 (HR 150s)

9:18 / 9:20 / 9:18 / 9:21 / 9:14

I went out a tiny bit faster than I wanted, but nothing crazy.  This was a ridiculous mental challenge.  I started in corral A, and I was just getting passed left and right by much lesser runners.  In the first 7K, I passed 4 marathon runners and was pass passed by 332 marathon runners (which doesn’t include the hundreds of HM runners going by me).  I kept telling myself to run my own race and drown out the others going by me.  Easy to say, but tough to do in practice.

Miles 6-13 (HR 150s)

9:10 / 9:17 / 9:10 / 9:05 / 9:08 / 9:06 / 8:58 / 8:46

The miles were ticking off and I was approaching this race much different than how I did my HM at the same event 2 years ago.  I was really just taking it all in and enjoying the atmosphere.  At this event, 24 of the miles are dedicated to a child with cancer or some other disease.  They are out on the course giving high fives.  I tried my best to make sure to find each of them throughout the whole race (I think I missed 2).  When you are not killing yourself running, the race is just a different experience and the kids out there and the fans became much more meaningful.

In this section, I started trying to cut my pace down.  I wanted to hit the halfway point with a time that would have the sub 4:00 within reach.  I crossed the midway point at a 9:10 pace in just over 2 hours.  At this point, I honestly did not really feel tired.

Miles 14-20 (HR 170s)

8:36 / 8:30 / 8:25 / 8:28 / 8:41 / 8:52 / 8:42

My plan had been to run this back half at 8:45, and that is what I had still planned to do when I crossed the midway point.  GPS tracking was a bit spotty for the first mile, and when it ticked off at 8:36, I just kept going at what felt like the same pace.  My justification was that the Hanson training was to prepare me for the last 16 miles, not the first 16.  If I kept up an ~8:30 pace, I was still backing off what I had initially trained for, and I have ran TONS of miles at this pace as it was my original HM pace.  If I fail, at least I tried…and I was ready to have a quick hook and drop my pace way down if I needed to. 

The next 3 miles were amazing.  I was hauling and feeling great.  In this section the marathon struggle was apparent as racers were falling off. This part of the race went through Ohio State campus (my old stomping ground) and we got to run around the horseshoe.  Super great experience and going through campus kept my spirits up and I thought I had this MFer in the bag. 

Then. Mile. 19.  Uphill, over the river, straight into the wind.  I had been attacking uphills, but, this was just different.  This section destroyed my legs and there were TONS of people walking and were completely defeated.  Absolutely brutal.

I passed 135 runners here and was passed by 1.  

Miles 21-26.2 (HR 170s)

8:32 / 8:32 / 8:39 / 8:46 / 9:08 / 9:08 / *8:42*

What goes up must come down. 

I was in new territory here.  My longest run to date had been 18 miles, and now I am looking at a bunch more miles after struggling on 19.  Fortunately, we were got some relief with some downhill miles.  I wanted to slow up and rest, but I really didn’t want to miss the opportunity to let gravity do the work. 

I kept thinking “only 6 more miles” or “only 3 more miles”.  In my normal runs, this would make me think that it is no problem, and I can easily get it done.  Well, now I kept thinking of the math of how much time that would take.  The thought of running another 30 / 40 / 50 minutes after running for so long did not give me confidence.  I knew that I could not let me legs stop, or I would be done.  Runners were dropping off and the cramping (for others) was setting in hard core the closer we got to the finish.

The last 2 miles were a real grit test.  I felt like puking on mile 25 at one point, but just kept pushing.  I had no control over my legs or my pace, they were just doing whatever they wanted, and I was along for the ride.  I slowed over this stretch, but was proud to have kept my pace what it was.  My wife who crushed her HM, caught my attention with the fans on the last .2 miles which helped me get through for that last little push.

In this final stretch, I passed 90 runners and was passed by 1.  The back half count had me passing 225 runners and getting passed by 2.

Official time – 3:56:22

Thoughts:

A tale of 2 halves.  Thanks to all of the advice I had gotten here along the way, I knew I needed to go super conservative to start, especially without knowing my physical condition.  I could feel some disappointment for not getting the chance to go for the 3:35-3:40, but there was also a good chance that could have blown up in my face.

Here, I got the opportunity to really experience the race.  Hit a goal by finishing, and hit a goal with a sub 4:00.  There are no regrets about those accomplishments. 

I still can’t believe I did this…

@xulf - awesome report. Your plan just blows my mind. And then you executed it!  Just amazing.  :headbang:

And did you really count all of those people?   That in itself is an amazing feat doing that during the marathon.   :lol:

Columbus Marathon

Thoughts:

A tale of 2 halves.  Thanks to all of the advice I had gotten here along the way, I knew I needed to go super conservative to start, especially without knowing my physical condition.  I could feel some disappointment for not getting the chance to go for the 3:35-3:40, but there was also a good chance that could have blown up in my face.

Here, I got the opportunity to really experience the race.  Hit a goal by finishing, and hit a goal with a sub 4:00.  There are no regrets about those accomplishments. 

I still can’t believe I did this…
This reminds me of one of @SFBayDuck's ultras, where he told his friend something like "this is not the day I had planned," to which his friend calmly replied "but it's the day that you've got."  You did an amazing job for the day that you got.

Users who are viewing this thread