Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Ned

8 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

Sometimes I think plans are overrated. Maybe just run by feel. The body can be smarter than the brain.  You might be surprised.

I've felt like stressed our garbage since August, so while that advice was given with good intentions I twisted it into something it wasn't. It's been more than a decade, but maybe some of my ex's bad habits stuck with me.

13 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

This reminds me of one of @SFBayDuck's ultras, where he told his friend something like "this is not the day I had planned," to which his friend calmly replied "but it's the day that you've got."  You did an amazing job for the day that you got.

Yup.  Sitting in a chair in the dark at Michigan Bluff, mile 55 of Western States, feeling sorry for myself for being 2 hours behind my planned time.  And my buddy and multiple-time Ironman Robbie was the one who shook me out of it.  

Congrats @xulf!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

The conditions

42 at the gun, 48 at target finish time. Less than 5 mph wind throughout, mostly cloudy w/less than 25% chance of rain (increased probabilities later in the day). Gonna be a cold start as sunrise isn't until almost 8, but even then it'll be more clouds than sun (a good thing later in the race, obviously). Can't ask for any better.

The body

Calf feels fine, but there is a nonzero chance it is a trap that I'll find out during the race. I really could've used that massage as stress (back/shoulders/neck/etc.) is a mess. Wife will do what she can tonight then I'll let the sports doc work some leg magic tomorrow. Some other stuff is going on too but a) I think it's over compensation related to the calf and b) if it is a problem I'm cautiously optimistic it won't impact performance; just may cause some additional time off after.

Diet

Tuesday night bottle of red aside, despite...everything else - diet has been great. I feel a little dehydrated, but I've been VERY liberal with water intake so it may just be the recent change to dry air. Piles of pasta are on tap for tonight, but I need to spend some time tonight game planning the final 48 hours of fuel.

During the race I will carry a couple bags of chews with me (chasing w/water - no gatorade) and will plot out locations for my wife to hand me 1/2 honey jam sammy's throughout (miles 6, 11, and 16). It'll be a blue dum-dum to get started and I'll have 2 reds in my pocket for later - one for after the mile 11 honey jam sammy and one for the final 10k in case my body says no more chews.

Pre-race will be black coffee, banana, and toast. I'll munch on some pretzels and a couple clementines during the drive down. 

The plan

My wife will drop me off as close as she can about 30 mins before the gun. I'll use that 3/4 mile - 1+ mile to warm up. Race attire will be bandana, sleeveless, gloves, shorts, and compression socks. I'll have a throwaway hoodie for pre-race with plans on dumping it a mile in. May do a stocking cap as well.

Actual race - there are a couple of meaningful bridges over the first 3 miles. I intend to take it easy relative to goal pace until descending on bridge #2. Miles 2 and 3 will probably be > 7 min pace (but near there) and mile 1 depends on traffic. What my HR says once to flatter ground mile 4 will dictate what I do next. In an ideal world I'm seeing something < 150 and I can try to settle into goal pace (6:50). If the readings are suboptimal then I'll go to plan b - hold near 7 flat through 15 knowing I'll need a negative split. 

There are long inclines from miles 4.5-5.5, 11.25-12.5, 14-15, and 24-25.25. I intend to take the foot off the gas some on the first 3. I'm a bigger body, so I require more effort going up...gravity also helps on the way back down though. If things are going well my HR often bounces back as I descend if I am smart not to exert too much energy going up. Given the length of the inclines I think conservatism is the right play. Until the last one anyway. Nothing matters then - just Rf;Dbap.

That said, I have concerns what my HR will actually be during the race. I'm not surprised I've seen concerning numbers since getting back out there again Sunday...but I have. I've felt it too. And that's been persistent throughout the last 2 months. And fact is I've done just 25 miles over the last 2 weeks and not much went right running-wise over the 10 days before that either. There will be some amount of suffering required Sunday. Will I be able to handle the amount of it required to reach my goal? I don't know, but if this ends badly at least I have experience dealing with marathon failure. It's all I know!

Goals

A goal - 2:XX:XX. Get half way a nose over 1:30. If they have a timing mat around mile 20 like I think they will, get there under 2:20. Then hope I have some gas left in the tank and cut it loose. I liked my chances a month ago but this may not be realistic anymore.

B goal - sub 7 min pace. This will turn into the goal if I don't like what I'm seeing early in the race. I'd get to halfway around 1:32-1:33 and that 20 mile timing mat around 2:22-2:23. If this race is actually 26.2 miles that's about 3 hours 2-3 mins depending on what my negative split potential is, but no marathon is 26.2 miles. So this would probably be more like 3:05 and leave me on the bubble (BQ - 3:10). 

There is no C goal. My pr is 3:08:04, but I don't care about a PR - it's Boston or bust.

I'll post bib and tracking info after I get my packet.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

9 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The conditions

42 at the gun, 48 at target finish time. Less than 5 mph wind throughout, mostly cloudy w/less than 25% chance of rain (increased probabilities later in the day). Gonna be a cold start as sunrise isn't until almost 8, but even then it'll be more clouds than sun (a good thing later in the race, obviously). Can't ask for any better.

The body

Calf feels fine, but there is a nonzero chance it is a trap that I'll find out during the race. I really could've used that massage as stress (back/shoulders/neck/etc.) is a mess. Wife will do what she can tonight then I'll let the sports doc work some leg magic tomorrow. Some other stuff is going on too but a) I think it's over compensation related to the calf and b) if it is a problem I'm cautiously optimistic it won't impact performance; just may cause some additional time off after.

Diet

Tuesday night bottle of red aside, despite...everything else - diet has been great. I feel a little dehydrated, but I've been VERY liberal with water intake so it may just be the recent change to dry air. Piles of pasta are on tap for tonight, but I need to spend some time tonight game planning the final 48 hours of fuel.

During the race I will carry a couple bags of chews with me (chasing w/water - no gatorade) and will plot out locations for my wife to hand me 1/2 honey jam sammy's throughout (miles 6, 11, and 16). It'll be a blue dum-dum to get started and I'll have 2 reds in my pocket for later - one for after the mile 11 honey jam sammy and one for the final 10k in case my body says no more chews.

Pre-race will be black coffee, banana, and toast. I'll munch on some pretzels and a couple clementines during the drive down. 

The plan

My wife will drop me off as close as she can about 30 mins before the gun. I'll use that 3/4 mile - 1+ mile to warm up. Race attire will be bandana, sleeveless, gloves, shorts, and compression socks. I'll have a throwaway hoodie for pre-race with plans on dumping it a mile in. May do a stocking cap as well.

Actual race - there are a couple of meaningful bridges over the first 3 miles. I intend to take it easy relative to goal pace until descending on bridge #2. Miles 2 and 3 will probably be > 7 min pace (but near there) and mile 1 depends on traffic. What my HR says once to flatter ground mile 4 will dictate what I do next. In an ideal world I'm seeing something < 150 and I can try to settle into goal pace (6:50). If the readings are suboptimal then I'll go to plan b - hold near 7 flat through 15 knowing I'll need a negative split. 

There are long inclines from miles 4.5-5.5, 11.25-12.5, 14-15, and 24-25.25. I intend to take the foot off the gas some on the first 3. I'm a bigger body, so I require more effort going up...gravity also helps on the way back down though. If things are going well my HR often bounces back as I descend if I am smart not to exert too much energy going up. Given the length of the inclines I think conservatism is the right play. Until the last one anyway. Nothing matters then - just Rf;Dbap.

That said, I have concerns what my HR will actually be during the race. I'm not surprised I've seen concerning numbers since getting back out there again Sunday...but I have. I've felt it too. And that's been persistent throughout the last 2 months. And fact is I've done just 25 miles over the last 2 weeks and not much went right running-wise over the 10 days before that either. There will be some amount of suffering required Sunday. Will I be able to handle the amount of it required to reach my goal? I don't know, but if this ends badly at least I have experience dealing with marathon failure. It's all I know!

Goals

A goal - 2:XX:XX. Get half way a nose over 1:30. If they have a timing mat around mile 20 like I think they will, get there under 2:20. Then hope I have some gas left in the tank and cut it loose. I liked my chances a month ago but this may not be realistic anymore.

B goal - sub 7 min pace. This will turn into the goal if I don't like what I'm seeing early in the race. I'd get to halfway around 1:32-1:33 and that 20 mile timing mat around 2:22-2:23. If this race is actually 26.2 miles that's about 3 hours 2-3 mins depending on what my negative split potential is, but no marathon is 26.2 miles. So this would probably be more like 3:05 and leave me on the bubble (BQ - 3:10). 

There is no C goal. My pr is 3:08:04, but I don't care about a PR - it's Boston or bust.

Well la-di-da I'll just drop an epic PRE-RACE REPORT and take this to the next level while the rest of you are just content with your poops.....

• Laughing 5

@MAC_32 your plan looks good to me, the only thing I would do differently is ditch the hoodie right at the start of the race. In the past I have kept my arm warmers on until I felt warm I think that was a mistake and as a result my HR was elevated quicker than it should have been. 

I love the idea of trying to get to the half way mark "a nose over 1:30", I know you're good with numbers but have you considered running with a pace band? It make things less stressful and uncertain for me.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

stress (back/shoulders/neck/etc.) is a mess. Wife will do what she can tonight then I'll let the sports doc work some leg magic tomorrow. 

If it's me, I switch that around, if you know what I mean.

• Laughing 6

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather-news/article255148912.html

:lol:Not that an Ironman isn't hard enough, let's throw in a cyclone bomb to boot!

I think this has to help the swim which point to point, down stream to transition. I may not take my wetsuit and googles off for the bike/run:cool:

@ChiefDIt's going to be very hard to figure out time per event I just know it's going to be a long, wet slog to the finish. I'm going to put on dry clothes every chance I get and I even have a change of shoes/shirt/socks in my special needs bag for the bike & run. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB2fMCTEQn4 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2

34 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

@MAC_32 your plan looks good to me, the only thing I would do differently is ditch the hoodie right at the start of the race. In the past I have kept my arm warmers on until I felt warm I think that was a mistake and as a result my HR was elevated quicker than it should have been. 

I love the idea of trying to get to the half way mark "a nose over 1:30", I know you're good with numbers but have you considered running with a pace band? It make things less stressful and uncertain for me.

I agree 100%.  I would keep the hoodie on until right before the start.  Once the national anthem is done and the gun is going to go off, discard it.  I would, however, keep an old cotton shirt on underneath the hoodie to wear for the first 1/2 mile to mile until body is warmed up.  I'd stretch out the shirt and rip the neck a little so its a touch easier to get it off while running and discard.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

:lol:Not that an Ironman isn't hard enough, let's throw in a cyclone bomb to boot!

I think this has to help the swim which point to point, down stream to transition. I may not take my wetsuit and googles off for the bike/run:cool:

@ChiefDIt's going to be very hard to figure out time per event I just know it's going to be a long, wet slog to the finish. I'm going to put on dry clothes every chance I get and I even have a change of shoes/shirt/socks in my special needs bag for the bike & run. 

Nice!  Better to have rain than oppressive heat. 

Just lube up your feet (and everywhere else) really well.

22 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

Whoa. 

You make it through that and none of us here can ever complain about weather again.  :lol:

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I agree 100%.  I would keep the hoodie on until right before the start.  Once the national anthem is done and the gun is going to go off, discard it.  I would, however, keep an old cotton shirt on underneath the hoodie to wear for the first 1/2 mile to mile until body is warmed up.  I'd stretch out the shirt and rip the neck a little so its a touch easier to get it off while running and discard.

#IncrediMacHulk

• Laughing 2

56 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I would disagree. I’d say stick with your plan, @MAC_32 of keeping the hoodie on. It is going to be cold and the sun isn’t going to save you for a while. When I ran the Celebration marathon, I ditched my pullover before the start, and I think that was a mistake. I was freezing for the first 4-5 miles. To each their own, but only you know your body.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, pbm107 said:

I can have 3 settings available on my watch while running. I have a primary screen and a secondary I'll flip to. 5 of the 6 settings I'm going to activate on my watch on race day are miles, current pace, hr, avg pace, and elapsed time. I'm undecided on #6 right now, but I know I am going to need that info during the race. I intend to use avg pace rather than a pace band. I know my target range is somewhere between 6:50 and 7:00 so I won't eff around with math...I'll just ensure that number is somewhere in that range. First half I'm expecting it to be near 7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

The conditions

The body

Diet

The plan

Goals

Studly post :thumbup:

Nobody will ever say you didn't give it enough thought!

I ditched my hoodie right before the gun and kept throw away gloves on for 2 miles before dumping those. 

I think the pull back in miles will be in your favor due to your stressors.

You know what you got to do...get er done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dark Matter said:

Jesus.  This is all just next level stuff.  Best of luck you friggin animal!

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I can have 3 settings available on my watch while running. I have a primary screen and a secondary I'll flip to. 5 of the 6 settings I'm going to activate on my watch on race day are miles, current pace, hr, avg pace, and elapsed time. I'm undecided on #6 right now, but I know I am going to need that info during the race. I intend to use avg pace rather than a pace band. I know my target range is somewhere between 6:50 and 7:00 so I won't eff around with math...I'll just ensure that number is somewhere in that range. First half I'm expecting it to be near 7.

Do you mean "lap pace"? I wouldn't be that trusting of GPS in a city race like Cleveland. There is a Cleveland Marathon segment on Strava and most of the race results I see GPS measures the course around 26.5 similar to what I see when I run Philly. With that kind of GPS error avg pace would tell a runner that he is running approximately 5 sec/mile faster than he really is. I think most people use "lap pace" with their watches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pbm107 said:

Do you mean "lap pace"? I wouldn't be that trusting of GPS in a city race like Cleveland. There is a Cleveland Marathon segment on Strava and most of the race results I see GPS measures the course around 26.5 similar to what I see when I run Philly. With that kind of GPS error avg pace would tell a runner that he is running approximately 5 sec/mile faster than he really is. I think most people use "lap pace" with their watches.

I think @gruecd turns off auto lap and does it manually at each mile marker to get an accurate lap pacing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

I think @gruecd turns off auto lap and does it manually at each mile marker to get an accurate lap pacing.

Yeah, I think so. I have done that in the past but I got tired of doing it. I keep it auto, but will do a manual lap press if my watch is off at a mile marker.

7 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Agree with this.  I always use lap pace.

54 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Great point. Hadn't considered the city logistics. They changed the course this year to include more of it too. I haven't used lap pace before, but I'll play around with that on Saturday's shakeout and use that as my #6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

I can’t decide if this would make me focus more or less and whether that would be good or bad. Great hobby here. 

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

Great point. Hadn't considered the city logistics. They changed the course this year to include more of it too. I haven't used lap pace before, but I'll play around with that on Saturday's shakeout and use that as my #6. 

Is this year's course a temporary pandemic layout or a more permanent change?  It seems sort of odd to have a city marathon loop back upon itself so many times.

3 hours ago, xulf said:

Studly post :thumbup:

Nobody will ever say you didn't give it enough thought!

I ditched my hoodie right before the gun and kept throw away gloves on for 2 miles before dumping those. 

I think the pull back in miles will be in your favor due to your stressors.

You know what you got to do...get er done.

For the love of God, @MAC_32, whatever you do, do NOT get rid of the gloves. EVER.

• Laughing 10

6 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Yikes!

I had perfect conditions for my IM and it was still rough. Can't imagine with those conditions.

Going to be epic! Stay safe on the bike, and stay lubed!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteelCurtain said:

How often do you forget to hit the lap button during a marathon?  I feel like I would forget 3-4 times each race. 

Once or twice, max.  Sometimes not at all.

I feel like this strategy also helps me keep my focus in the moment (mile by mile) instead of getting caught up in the enormity of it all.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

How often do you forget to hit the lap button during a marathon?  I feel like I would forget 3-4 times each race. 

I'm sure that I'd forget (insert fading memory joke).  It seems like somewhere in the 8-12 mile range, I tend to lose track of what mile I'm on ...which is fine with me as that's just early cruise mode.

So, I've started doing intervals (6 x 400, or technically 402 since I use a .25mile autolap, will do 10 x400 at some point), and I've always done them with a a 400m jog for recovery.  Anyone in here have strong opinions on what the best recovery time and method is?  I feel like my recovery is a bit on the long side, but I worry that shortening will make them more unpleasant and hence me less likely to do them, and also I like them to be closer to 1 mile pace than 5K pace as I think building a more powerful stride is the main benefit I am looking for.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

So, I've started doing intervals (6 x 400, or technically 402 since I use a .25mile autolap, will do 10 x400 at some point), and I've always done them with a a 400m jog for recovery.  Anyone in here have strong opinions on what the best recovery time and method is?  I feel like my recovery is a bit on the long side, but I worry that shortening will make them more unpleasant and hence me less likely to do them, and also I like them to be closer to 1 mile pace than 5K pace as I think building a more powerful stride is the main benefit I am looking for.

Think it depends on workout goal. You can shorten the recovery as you go as a variable you adjust.  
Common rule of thumb is recovery period of 50-100% of the repeat period so pretty broad guidance.  

Words here

Edited by bushdocda
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

Think it depends on workout goal. You can shorten the recovery as you go as a variable you adjust.  
Common rule of thumb is recovery period of 50-100% of the repeat period so pretty broad guidance.  

Words here

Agreed.  I tend to use 200m (half lap).  Finish the rep; walk about 30 yards; easy jog around the turn; walk 20-30 yards; start again from the back part of the track.

17 hours ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Is this year's course a temporary pandemic layout or a more permanent change?  It seems sort of odd to have a city marathon loop back upon itself so many times.

I don't know, but I'd guess it's logistics/staffing related - so, sorta temporary and potentially permanent. Less coordination/humans needed by doubling back on a similar route. I'm just happy they re-did this to eliminate the steep uphills going up-and-down the river valley and all the hairpin turns in the neighborhoods across the cuyahoga from downtown. 

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I don't know, but I'd guess it's logistics/staffing related - so, sorta temporary and potentially permanent. Less coordination/humans needed by doubling back on a similar route. I'm just happy they re-did this to eliminate the steep uphills going up-and-down the river valley and all the hairpin turns in the neighborhoods across the cuyahoga from downtown. 

Yes, from a racing perspective I can definitely see how eliminating repeatedly changing elevation in exchange for some monotony is a win.  And I suppose not having run a marathon I should keep my mouth shut, but aesthetically its nice to have a course that gives you a real taste of the city it's run in - Boston goes from the 'burbs all the way to downtown, NYC hits all five boroughs, etc.

Edited by Dr_Zaius
'

1 minute ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yes, from a racing perspective I can definitely see how eliminating repeatedly changing elevation in exchange for some monotony is a win.  And I suppose not having run a marathon I should keep my mouth shut, but aesthetically its nice to have a course that gives you a real taste of the city its run in - Boston goes from the 'burbs all the way to downtown, NYC hits all five boroughs, etc.

Carmel hits every roundabout....

@ChiefD

• Laughing 5

35 minutes ago, Dr_Zaius said:

Yes, from a racing perspective I can definitely see how eliminating repeatedly changing elevation in exchange for some monotony is a win.  And I suppose not having run a marathon I should keep my mouth shut, but aesthetically its nice to have a course that gives you a real taste of the city it's run in - Boston goes from the 'burbs all the way to downtown, NYC hits all five boroughs, etc.

What you're describing is why I think they'll go back to something closer to the old map next year.

It looks like you can follow by either using the app or just going live. Bib # is 1057. 

Therapy session #2 is complete. He was encouraged by the amount of progress vs session #1. I also forgot to mention in the way too long pre race report - I actually had problems in BOTH calves. The one was strained, but the other was on the brink of it. He described my other problems (everything else on the posterior chain) as normal wear & tear, but that developed tightness may have been what caused my calves to go over the edge. He thinks I've been able to rally in large part because unlike previous marathon cycles I sustained the gym work all the way through to the end instead of tapping out before peak. I was able to aggressively attack the problem last week because I was already adapted to resistance training rather than essentially starting from scratch.

Now we see if it holds up through the race...

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

It looks like you can follow by either using the app or just going live. Bib # is 1057. 

Therapy session #2 is complete. He was encouraged by the amount of progress vs session #1. I also forgot to mention in the way too long pre race report - I actually had problems in BOTH calves. The one was strained, but the other was on the brink of it. He described my other problems (everything else on the posterior chain) as normal wear & tear, but that developed tightness may have been what caused my calves to go over the edge. He thinks I've been able to rally in large part because unlike previous marathon cycles I sustained the gym work all the way through to the end instead of tapping out before peak. I was able to aggressively attack the problem last week because I was already adapted to resistance training rather than essentially starting from scratch.

Now we see if it holds up through the race...

Did he mention using a pair of shoes that haven't been in use since 2017?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Did he mention using a pair of shoes that haven't been in use since 2017?

He confirmed what I already suspected - that may have actually saved me. This problem was a ticking time bomb. He could tell in session #1 that I had been running through this issue for months. It's just those shoes that caused the bomb to explode 4 miles into that run instead of it likely happening sometime later during the race.