What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Two kids with covid in the house for the last 7 days. I have felt like crap all week - by some miracle tested negative. No energy at all - been going to bed early every night. Finally feeling a little better tonight.

Kids are fine thank God. Gonna try and run tomorrow but not gonna be pretty.
Glad to hear that everybody is OK.  Now go run!

"There is only do or do not.  There is no try."  - Yoda

I saw on Strava one of your assignments was "10% as fast as you can for five minutes".  How fast was that?
Only like 5-5.5mph.  Almost certainly would've been a little faster if it wasn't in the middle of a bunch of lunge hops, step-ups, etc.  That circuit was killer.

Two kids with covid in the house for the last 7 days. I have felt like crap all week - by some miracle tested negative. No energy at all - been going to bed early every night. Finally feeling a little better tonight.

Kids are fine thank God. Gonna try and run tomorrow but not gonna be pretty.

Sorry to hear.  Covid is running hard through my both of my kids classes.  Both girls have had fevers and headaches...but we've all have already had it and fortunately have negative tests (so far).  

I'm guessing the next few weeks is going to suck for a lot of people.

Do any of you have any recommendations for HM training plans that are ~12 weeks? I'm going to be signing up for a 4/30 race that's 15 weeks out.
I think I followed one of these for the ChiefD half back when and I liked the structure and variety.

Hanson HM plan (from the HM book at least) for me isn’t recommended as the HM pace focus is close to the speed and strength paces and I wore down.  

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760104/rws-12-week-sub-130-half-marathon-schedules/

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760103/rws-12-week-sub-145-half-marathon-schedules/

Do any of you have any recommendations for HM training plans that are ~12 weeks? I'm going to be signing up for a 4/30 race that's 15 weeks out.
W1 - 6 w/3 at tempo + 6x800 (5k effort) + 11 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 42 mi total

W2 - 6 w/4 at tempo + 5x1K (5k effort) + 12 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 45 mi total

W3 - 4x1200 (5K effort) + 10 mi (long - fast finish) - 42 mi total

W4 - 7 w/5 at tempo + 4xmile (5K effort) w/hill repeats (45 seconds?) in between - 40 mi total

W5 - 7w/5 at HMP + 13 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 45 mi total

W6 - 6xmile (5K effort) + 2 shorty long's (10 mi each) - 48 mi total

W7 - Hill repeats + find a tune up race (10K?) - 35 mi

W8 - 4x1.5 mi (5 mi effort) + 6 pace + 14 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 50 mi

W9 - 3x2 mi (5 mi effort) + 7 pace + 15 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 52 mi

W10 - 2x5K (5 mi effort) + 8 pace + 16 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 55 mi

W11 - Shorty long (10 mi) + Hill repeats + Weekend tune up (5 pace?) - 45 mi

W12 - taper

W1 - 6 w/3 at tempo + 6x800 (5k effort) + 11 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 42 mi total

W2 - 6 w/4 at tempo + 5x1K (5k effort) + 12 mi (long - 'brisk' effort) - 45 mi total

W4 - 7 w/5 at tempo + 4xmile (5K effort) w/hill repeats (45 seconds?) in between - 40 mi total

W12 - taper
I was about to say the same thing.  Except I would definitely do 5 x1.5 mi in W8 or this plan falls apart.

I think I followed one of these for the ChiefD half back when and I liked the structure and variety.

Hanson HM plan (from the HM book at least) for me isn’t recommended as the HM pace focus is close to the speed and strength paces and I wore down.  

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760104/rws-12-week-sub-130-half-marathon-schedules/

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/half-marathon/a760103/rws-12-week-sub-145-half-marathon-schedules/

W12 - taper

Thanks guys.  The issue I'm running into is that I have a good base right now and most plans are too slow to get into the meat.  I may look for a longer plan and jump in a few weeks into it.

Thanks guys.  The issue I'm running into is that I have a good base right now and most plans are too slow to get into the meat.  I may look for a longer plan and jump in a few weeks into it.
...or just build in tempo/intervals/hills using your own fitness as a gauge.

That’s a good problem to try to figure out, maybe consider: 

Keep your current-ish mileage and phase on with some workouts or pull a couple weeks forward and repeat them or modify a bit the first or second time.

If you do go with Longer plan/jump in approach, be careful not to ramp up workout intensity too quickly if you’re running mostly volume/easy efforts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear.  Covid is running hard through my both of my kids classes.  Both girls have had fevers and headaches...but we've all have already had it and fortunately have negative tests (so far).  

I'm guessing the next few weeks is going to suck for a lot of people.

Well, now I'm sick.  Kids bounced back after about a day or 2, I'm hoping that holds true for me.

For hard to define reasons, I insist on making my own plans, but I've had the same issue when looking at pre-defined plans.  You can usually pick from the Super Advanced Peak at 256 miles per week that will break you in two, or the "Intermediate" plan that has things like multiple 3 mile runs during a week.

My race is 4/24, and I was going to start training in earnest in two weeks.  I have a much lower volume base than you, so my biggest mileage week will probably be 48-50.

Hope you're feeling better.

gruecd said:
No way she comes up with all those activity titles herself though.
Nope.  Lots are crowdsourced right on Strava. 

Just like Jimmy Kimmel doesn't come up with all his jokes, he gets credit for the delivery....same thing with her. 

Can't remember if it was @Zasada or someone else who mentioned them originally, but I replaced my aging headphones with some bone conduction ones last week and am really happy with the switch.  I used to run with the sound really low for safety reasons, to the point where sometimes it was hard to even recognize what was playing.  With the ears open, I can run with the music at a much more enjoyable volume without feeling like I will be caught unawares by a car approaching.  The new volume level may make podcasts feasible as well, which would be welcome.

Fixed (and hopefully true!).
I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Just trying to figure out what is going to give me the fire to put that much effort back into training properly for a race.  And I can't find the answer.

The truth is I just really don't enjoy the training enough to justify the time and commitment. I love race day. I love the benefits that come from running. I just don't love.....the running.

I started this journey in October of 2012. I weighed 172 pounds at the time, and I'm not a tall guy so that was the heaviest I have ever been. I now hover around 155 give or take a pound or two - even with the limited running I'm doing at the moment.

It was a lifestyle change at that time, and it has worked. And it's been sustainable. And to be honest I can pretty much sustain 155 at this point. So in the grand scheme of things, I was able to turn my life around over the last 9 years. Which has been great. 

But as I see the years available to me over this next chapter of my life, I'm coming to appreciate the value of TIME. 

For a guy like me to continue to race, I need to chew up lots of time. To get faster I have to run. A LOT. And at my lack of speed it's gotta be A LOT to ever see gains that are substantial. And I'm not sure with the time I have left on this earth that I want to spend it running and running and running.

I'm 52 years old and in good health. So in theory I should have (based on family history) about 30 years of time left. Seems like a lot. But the last 52 years went in a blink.

So the time I have left needs to go to other things. My kids. My wife. Other passions. New passions. Personal discovery. Personal healing on issues still left under the surface. 

I have brothers spread across the country. Step-mom. Other relatives. And the years are shrinking quickly for opportunities to spend time with them. As my kids grow up and leave the nest I want to follow them and help them and visit them and be there for them. 

Now, I know running CAN be a part of this. And it certainly will be there for exercise purposes and such. I'm not suggesting I'm going to quit that type of thing.

But for me I think this is it. One last race to close the book on that chapter of my life. 

I'm 52 years old and in good health. So in theory I should have (based on family history) about 30 years of time left. Seems like a lot. But the last 52 years went in a blink.

If it's not running, hopefully you can find something to keep moving a little each day.  Walking, sports, shoveling -- whatever.  You want to make sure your ticker will give you as many of those 30+ years as possible.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Just trying to figure out what is going to give me the fire to put that much effort back into training properly for a race.  And I can't find the answer.

The truth is I just really don't enjoy the training enough to justify the time and commitment. I love race day. I love the benefits that come from running. I just don't love.....the running.

I started this journey in October of 2012. I weighed 172 pounds at the time, and I'm not a tall guy so that was the heaviest I have ever been. I now hover around 155 give or take a pound or two - even with the limited running I'm doing at the moment.

It was a lifestyle change at that time, and it has worked. And it's been sustainable. And to be honest I can pretty much sustain 155 at this point. So in the grand scheme of things, I was able to turn my life around over the last 9 years. Which has been great. 

But as I see the years available to me over this next chapter of my life, I'm coming to appreciate the value of TIME. 

For a guy like me to continue to race, I need to chew up lots of time. To get faster I have to run. A LOT. And at my lack of speed it's gotta be A LOT to ever see gains that are substantial. And I'm not sure with the time I have left on this earth that I want to spend it running and running and running.

So the time I have left needs to go to other things. My kids. My wife. Other passions. New passions. Personal discovery. Personal healing on issues still left under the surface. 

I have brothers spread across the country. Step-mom. Other relatives. And the years are shrinking quickly for opportunities to spend time with them. As my kids grow up and leave the nest I want to follow them and help them and visit them and be there for them. 

Now, I know running CAN be a part of this. And it certainly will be there for exercise purposes and such. I'm not suggesting I'm going to quit that type of thing.

But for me I think this is it. One last race to close the book on that chapter of my life. 
As your kids get older hopefully you have more time to spend on yourself and hopefully you see some value to exercise as a component to a long healthy life.   You could still do races but not view every event as a PR opportunity - there is a middle ground.  You probably know this already.  

As your kids get older hopefully you have more time to spend on yourself and hopefully you see some value to exercise as a component to a long healthy life.   You could still do races but not view every event as a PR opportunity - there is a middle ground.  You probably know this already.  
Also, the really epic way to end your race career is to have a GPS watch malfunction while racing by yourself against some other nerds from the internet ultimately leading to a career-ending knee injury. 

Also, the really epic way to end your race career is to have a GPS watch malfunction while racing by yourself against some other nerds from the internet ultimately leading to a career-ending knee injury. 
Day 1 of HM Training: Strap broke on running watch

<_<

I just wanted to provide a quick update. As I posted in here two weeks ago, my knee went out at the start of a seven mile run on the 3rd of January. I received a cortisone shot about ten days ago and have gotten out like three or four different times since then. Mostly just run/walking.

Today was a big day because I decided to test the knee and find out if I’d be able to run my marathon in two weeks. I got through three miles in a decent amount of pain throughout. I’d put my chances of running the marathon at about one percent, but a lot can happen in two weeks.

It was also a big day because I had my follow-up appointment and got my MRI results back. I honestly have no idea how to sum up my results. There isn’t any major structural damage, but the MRI seemed to reveal a knee that’s on its last leg. After talking with my doctor, he suggested surgery again to scope the knee, but I really don’t want to go down that road yet or again. I feel like I just continue putting a band-aid on a major problem.

In the meantime, I have been working harder than I ever have to rehab the knee, keep some fitness, and strengthen my legs. I began following someone on social media that specializes in knee specific routines to “bullet proof” your knees. I started his program and have my own personal coach. His Instagram name is Kneesovertoesguy, and I am really enjoying the program. Hopefully this works as a long term solution as opposed to surgery. Time will tell.

My knee feels pretty good after my run this morning. I plan to attempt runs throughout this week. If that doesn’t work out, my wife got a Peleton for Christmas and I have been using that to maintain some fitness. I absolutely hate it, but what other choice do I have? My Peleton name is JShare24 if anyone wants to get a ride in together. @ChiefD your post really hit home. We all think we have a certain amount of time left or even assume we will have a choice to do things. The reality is, we don’t really know how much longer we get or how much longer we get to do the things we love. So, enjoy every second you’re out there. Even if it’s hot, @gruecd!

Last edited by a moderator:
If that doesn’t work out, my wife got a Peleton for Christmas and I have been using that to maintain some fitness. I absolutely hate it, but what other choice do I have?

Maybe to make you feel a bit better, when I was rehabbing my calf and couldn't do any leg-based activity, I had to do the arms-only part of a recumbent elliptical to maintain some level of fitness.  That really sucked.

I'm glad you have a path to be able to get to running again.  And glad to see you getting longer ones in on Strava.  Rooting for you!

Didn't Jesus raise a couple of people from the dead?  Didn't you guys grow up together?
Actually, I happened to preach the sermon again this past Sunday as we gave our pastors a couple week break, and my focus was on Jesus living in 'ordinary time.' ("When the holy becomes ordinary ...and the ordinary, holy")  

So I regaled them with some of our stories.  Like how we'd go down to the Sea of Galilee ...Jesus would walk out on the water, and I'd skip stones trying to nick him.  

Users who are viewing this thread