What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Never mind. Pretty sure I’m just going to get a wahoo kickr and maybe subscribe to zwift. 
Is there any reason not to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brony said:
Looking at the upcoming Chicago forecast...oof.  Mad respect to @Juxtatarot @gruecd @tri-man 47 @SteelCurtain and others who still get outside in this.  I know you can wear layers, etc, but just getting out the door is a test of resolve. 
As I ran on a cold day today - but in the morning sun and on clear sidewalks - I thought about @Zasada.  Our man not only deals with the cold, but also the early morning darkness, the trails, the hills, and the mental challenge of repeating the loops. Mad props. 

As I ran on a cold day today - but in the morning sun and on clear sidewalks - I thought about @Zasada.  Our man not only deals with the cold, but also the early morning darkness, the trails, the hills, and the mental challenge of repeating the loops. Mad props. 
It's weeks like this one I'm happy not to be training for anything. 15" Monday, hard freeze Tuesday, 6 more today, another hard freeze tomorrow. Running outside within 5 miles of home base may not be an option again before the end of the month. Props, Z.

It's weeks like this one I'm happy not to be training for anything. 15" Monday, hard freeze Tuesday, 6 more today, another hard freeze tomorrow. Running outside within 5 miles of home base may not be an option again before the end of the month. Props, Z.
Yeah, if I can complain for a bit ( :violin: ), glad that I didn't plan to put on big mileage these past two weeks.  Last week we had snow followed by cold that made running a bit treacherous.  Then Saturday morning it was 5 with a -6 wind chill.  Then I drove 800 miles to drop the daughter off.  Was planning on a long run Monday, but snow followed by ice followed by rain made that a no go, and then after the rain the temperature plummeted, so rather than merely vexing the sidewalks were downright dangerous on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Going to be cold for the next week, although there shouldn't be much precipitation.  I'm hoping that the warmup at the end of next week will clear things up a bit.

FWIW, the bitter Calgary cold is very rarely accompanied by high winds or ice.  When it's that cold, there's so little moisture in the air, that if you do get snow, it's the super-dry kind, and not very voluminous.

The types of cold Chicago and the midwest get (windy/icy/rainy) would probably put me on the treadmill as well.

And midwest snow... that concrete... having to shovel that (when I lived in Chicago)... ugh. 

It's SO much easier to deal with cold when there's no wind.  I would actually take -27F and no wind over 30F with high winds.

So, yeah, I appreciate the props but I still have my limits.

FWIW, the bitter Calgary cold is very rarely accompanied by high winds or ice.  When it's that cold, there's so little moisture in the air, that if you do get snow, it's the super-dry kind, and not very voluminous.

The types of cold Chicago and the midwest get (windy/icy/rainy) would probably put me on the treadmill as well.

And midwest snow... that concrete... having to shovel that (when I lived in Chicago)... ugh. 

It's SO much easier to deal with cold when there's no wind.  I would actually take -27F and no wind over 30F with high winds.

So, yeah, I appreciate the props but I still have my limits.
I'm not surprised to read this, but I still find this interesting nonetheless. Just cause negative 27 is a head spinning number, but I also know very well how miserable 20's and high winds are to endure. And I have no qualms with getting out when it's near zero...so long as there's no wind (and preferably with sun) anyway.

Today's afternoon weather is (relatively!) ideal for winter running - 18, more sun than clouds, light winds. I'm just not sure it'll be feasible given the actual conditions on the ground since we got that much snow. Salt is effective to a certain point and I think the temps have been below it too often this week, so I'm preparing as if it'll be the hamster wheel until at least next weekend. Cause another round of snow is coming Monday followed by another arctic plunge.

Always one of these weeks per winter, but I guess this year it's gonna bleed into a second one.

He crazy. 
It’s been in the low 20s here the last couple days at the start of my runs, that’s cold enough for me. Y’all are nuts. 
I’ll hit 100 miles on the year later this week but my biking has taken a significant hit. The good part is I convinced myself to buy the wahoo kickr core, and I’ll subscribe to zwift. Also bought a power cage from academy sports and was going to buy weights (210 lbs) but their sale ended stay yesterday so I missed that and will keep looking. My pain cave is a work in progress. 
I love our gym but it is so much easier to use the weights here and I finally think it’s worth it. Only took me two years WFH 🤦🏽‍♂️
other than FB market place and Craigslist, where should I look for good deals on weight sets? Most of the weights I see on FB are overpriced. 

He crazy. 
It’s been in the low 20s here the last couple days at the start of my runs, that’s cold enough for me. Y’all are nuts. 
I’ll hit 100 miles on the year later this week but my biking has taken a significant hit. The good part is I convinced myself to buy the wahoo kickr core, and I’ll subscribe to zwift. Also bought a power cage from academy sports and was going to buy weights (210 lbs) but their sale ended stay yesterday so I missed that and will keep looking. My pain cave is a work in progress. 
I love our gym but it is so much easier to use the weights here and I finally think it’s worth it. Only took me two years WFH 🤦🏽‍♂️
other than FB market place and Craigslist, where should I look for good deals on weight sets? Most of the weights I see on FB are overpriced. 
There are adjustable weight sets at Sam's for like $200.

Sorry, nevermind. These are adjustable dumbbells (50 lbs). Didn't read your post closely enough.
👍🏽 Not a bad deal for those.  I’m mostly looking for squats and bench, although there’s nothing wrong with lunges with dumbbells and push-ups. 

I've never felt -53C before so I can't say that I could do it.  But I would do this marathon before a +30C (85F) one.  I'm sure @gruecd would join me, too.
While an 85F marathon does sound like torture, I can't fathom trying to run in weather that cold.  On the plus side I imagine traction is totally fine at those temperatures, but how do you keep your lungs and eyes warm?

While an 85F marathon does sound like torture, I can't fathom trying to run in weather that cold.  On the plus side I imagine traction is totally fine at those temperatures, but how do you keep your lungs and eyes warm?

The coldest I've run in is -37C (-35F).  At those temps I didn't get frozen lungs or eyes.  Nor did I get frostbite on my face.  I have actually got frostbite at warmer temps, but with higher winds.

So if I had to run in colder temps than that, I would probably go with a balaclava and another layer up top and long underwear.  But -50C could just be so cold that lungs and eyes do actually freeze.  

The coldest I've run in is -37C (-35F).  At those temps I didn't get frozen lungs or eyes.  Nor did I get frostbite on my face.  I have actually got frostbite at warmer temps, but with higher winds.

So if I had to run in colder temps than that, I would probably go with a balaclava and another layer up top and long underwear.  But -50C could just be so cold that lungs and eyes do actually freeze.  
At the coldest temps, I'll layer up satisfactorily(ish) and maybe wipe some Vaseline on my cheeks (not those cheeks) to create a bit of barrier.  What gets me, though, is the toes.  I do pull some light ankle socks over my compression socks, but I can't imagine how to keep the toes warm enough at the above temps.  I've considered getting a pair of shoes a half-size or size larger just so I can add more layers on the feet ...maybe in a few years when I need to do serious winter training again.

Zasada said:
So apparently @gruecd and @SteelCurtain have the same taste in warmup scenery, but differ on cooldown.  🤔

While  @gruecd prefers Kendall to Leanne, that's only because there's no "5 min Cool Down Ride with @gianmarco" option.
We actually had a comprehensive debate on text about Kendall and her assets. 

Meanwhile, in other news, @bushdocda rocked a PR in our 45 minute Peloton ride yesterday and then celebrated with a  jacked black dude's cooldown.  NTTAWWT

No breaks (even walking) would be limiting. Ideally it would be preferred to have a minimum average pace and go out ahead sometimes.

No breaks (even walking) would be limiting. Ideally it would be preferred to have a minimum average pace and go out ahead sometimes.

Agreed.  Reminds me of the Big's Backyard that Laz puts on.  You have an hour to finish the 4.167 mile loop, have to start the next one at the top of the hour or you're out.  Repeat....for, well, 354 miles last year for the winner.

I think you might be talking about me. 
In all seriousness, you are always faster than that. Ever see someone who’s upper-body is running but lower-body is walking? That’s what I’m thinking about. Not sure how that would count.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the question as posed is a little goofy.  If even breaking stride for a second is unacceptable, I think somewhere between 20-30 miles is where I'd succumb, probably depending on how slowly I manage to start out (since it's presented as a dire situation, presumably there's going to be a lot of internal impetus to run fast at the beginning).  If we treat it more like a backyard ultra and ask how many consecutive miles could you cover at a pace faster than, say 12:00min/mile, I like my chances a lot better and it would probably come down to injury, horrific chafing, or some sort of GI/hydration/food issue.

Sorry if this paywalls but it didn’t for me.

Hill running stuff

I’ve been doing hill stuff to get ready for upcoming speed workouts and am focusing on uphill for strides etc - I will need to pop some longer up stuff in a few weeks but the downhill will be where I will be paying more attention than in the past.  I hate passing people on the uphill and then they catch me on the down.  Not this year.

Sorry if this paywalls but it didn’t for me.

Hill running stuff

I’ve been doing hill stuff to get ready for upcoming speed workouts and am focusing on uphill for strides etc - I will need to pop some longer up stuff in a few weeks but the downhill will be where I will be paying more attention than in the past.  I hate passing people on the uphill and then they catch me on the down.  Not this year.
It's probably in a race report in the archived thread, but I'll never forget something a buddy of mine said to me about 2 mins before a trail race early last decade - 'there is no shame walking up hills out here on these trails.' To that point I had struggled with trail races, always positively splitting - some epically. That was the first one I've ever done that I'd call successful and I began selectively applying that same approach to road hills in the years that followed. Til that moment? I knew nothing beyond 'attack the hill' - it is what had been engrained into me as a kid and clearly never left.

I still do some 'attack the hill' workouts, but racing? Nope. Doing so is horribly inefficient. And any time we're coaching our cross country athletes with that wrong message I'm left conflicted whether to intervene. The 'attack the hill' message is only emphasized at practice whereas 'run smart' is emphasized in competition, but when we run hills in meets I see mistakes being made. Not by all, but enough to make me think we could be messaging better.

A corollary to not absolutely crushing yourself on the uphill during a race is to not let the temporary slowdown of an uphill become a permanent slowdown.  Particularly in shorter races, when for example you get to the top of the hill and the ground levels out, I try to mentally focus on getting my legs to start turning over faster again as soon as I'm no longer fighting gravity.  Otherwise it's so easy to not realize until a half mile later that you're running 30seconds/mile slower than planned. 

A corollary to not absolutely crushing yourself on the uphill during a race is to not let the temporary slowdown of an uphill become a permanent slowdown.  Particularly in shorter races, when for example you get to the top of the hill and the ground levels out, I try to mentally focus on getting my legs to start turning over faster again as soon as I'm no longer fighting gravity.  Otherwise it's so easy to not realize until a half mile later that you're running 30seconds/mile slower than planned. 
There's one particular hill at a park a few miles from home base that I practice the sorta strategy you're getting at with this - it's about 150' at 20% grade  then another 75' or so but stretched out over a half mile. On a 'normal run' day I'll take it relatively easy effort-wise on the way up (but never stopping to walk) and the second the grade drops I mentally lock back in and try to return to intended pace. 

I think this has helped when in the real thing - I don't have to think about doing it; I just do it.

It's starting to feel like I'm never going to be able to run outside again.  It's either -10 windchill or it craps ice and snow all over us.  Back to the treadmill for another couple of days, I guess.

It's starting to feel like I'm never going to be able to run outside again.  It's either -10 windchill or it craps ice and snow all over us.  Back to the treadmill for another couple of days, I guess.
Similar story here, as it's snowing again as I type.  I gave my crappy treadmill away a few years ago since I almost never used it, but it would come in handy right now.  

When I lead a pace group, I always tell the group as we are going up a hill, the natural reaction is at the top of the hill is to take a deep breath and relax a bit.  I encourage them to keep going up the hill and continue the effort for 3-5 steps after the top of the hill.  Doing so, helps to propel you down the other side of the hill......once you have done that, then you can take that deep breath.  🙂

Users who are viewing this thread