What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

I've fought that before, MAC. It sucks, but "easily" fixed. A good MT digging in deep isn't much fun! :X

I've fought that before, MAC. It sucks, but "easily" fixed. A good MT digging in deep isn't much fun! :X
He has an exercise ball strategically placed within arm's reach of the head of his massage table. I thought I was going to pop that mother during the session!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
pbm, Mac, Ned, Gator, and ydoc jr. Great job Guys, outstanding weekend for the 10k thread.

Very happy for you, pbm, you really earned it.

Gator, you made the right decision by going for the beer!

MAC, good run, get healthy.

Nice to see you still have your speed, Ned.

I had a good solid week, first 20-miler of the training went well except for crazy garmin issues. It went berserk as I stopped it going into a walgreens for a bathroom break and a water stop. This was at 17.10 miles. It would not start again so I estimated another 2.9 miles to finish. Only 9.7 miles showed up on strava and the 17.1 on Garmin. I think some water from intermittent showers got in the watch. Anyway, Sunday's 11 capped off a 60-mile week, my best in about 23 months.

Ned said:
pbm - looking at our results. You started 3sec ahead of me! :doh:
That is funny, I was on the right side on the start. I am sorry about after the race if I seemed rude, I was definitely a bit disoriented and having difficulty processing what just happened. I should have a race report completed tomorrow morning. I have a busy day at work and it's my son's birthday today.

My kid ran a chip-timed 22:52 5k on his 10th b-day this weekend. He seems like a natural runner (long, lean, never gets tired, really likes it), and wants to do more of it outside of school. What seems appropriate if he's serious about it?

We did a track club a couple summers ago, but the meets were insane. He was dead last in the 100m by 15m -- and that was the end of track. So we'd like to avoid something like that again if possible while not having him lap the field either. Basically I'm trying to find out what the right level of competition for him and have no clue about running.
Local 5K's would probably be your best bet for now. I imagine more organized opportunities will come as he nears high school (obviously depends on the area), but that's probably your best bet for now. There will be plenty of competition, but most importantly with those times he will be at worst middle of the pack and probably further up. He will almost certainly collect plenty of hardware post race (age group winner medals) as I don't recall many sub 14 year old kids are running times like those, so that'll be a near guaranteed positive takeaway after each race.

Ned said:
pbm - looking at our results. You started 3sec ahead of me! :doh:
That is funny, I was on the right side on the start. I am sorry about after the race if I seemed rude, I was definitely a bit disoriented and having difficulty processing what just happened. I should have a race report completed tomorrow morning. I have a busy day at work and it's my son's birthday today.
Damn it, that's what happened. I was left of center. I kept creeping more inwards, but as we got closer to the gun the crowds tightened up.

You weren't rude at all. We've all be through those post-marathon moments. Just glad we were able to catch up! I will say - I was both shocked and impressed that you were even talking about what you needed to do to improve. Hats off to ya for that mentality!

My kid ran a chip-timed 22:52 5k on his 10th b-day this weekend. He seems like a natural runner (long, lean, never gets tired, really likes it), and wants to do more of it outside of school. What seems appropriate if he's serious about it?

We did a track club a couple summers ago, but the meets were insane. He was dead last in the 100m by 15m -- and that was the end of track. So we'd like to avoid something like that again if possible while not having him lap the field either. Basically I'm trying to find out what the right level of competition for him and have no clue about running.
Local 5K's would probably be your best bet for now. I imagine more organized opportunities will come as he nears high school (obviously depends on the area), but that's probably your best bet for now. There will be plenty of competition, but most importantly with those times he will be at worst middle of the pack and probably further up. He will almost certainly collect plenty of hardware post race (age group winner medals) as I don't recall many sub 14 year old kids are running times like those, so that'll be a near guaranteed positive takeaway after each race.
:goodposting: I'd add that you should look for all kinds of things to race. My son liked the kids triathlons when he was younger and the mud runs when he was a little older. Looking back, by accident really, it helped to him realize how fun it was to compete and realize just how fast he was (plus like MAC noted, he was grabbing hardware at just about every race). If his middle school does not offer track or XC on an organized basis, then I would start trying to find clubs that do.

So in part thanks to this thread, I've signed up for my 2nd 5k of the fall. This one will be tomorrow AM when apparently some of you will be running halves or fulls. Just trying to beat the 26 and change I got in the 5k I did a few weeks back, and not die. Long gone are the days of my sub 20s. Thanks again for all the motivation, and maybe I'll be doing those halves with some of you next year.
No matter the distance, they all count. :thumbup:

Good luck tomorrow. We will expect a full report. :thanks:
Yeah, so I "ran" it but didn't do nearly as well as I did on the first 5k I did this fall a few weeks ago. No problem, as I didn't go in with any real expectations.

The "highlight" of the race, though, wasn't mine - it was my wife's. She and our 4 month old (strapped to her with one of those baby wraps) walked it, along with my father and a few others. The course was a large loop, and when I finished I got some water and walked to where they were on the course , just past the half way point. Since they were walking, and she had about 15 pounds of weight added to her, and every race volunteer and spectator and such that she passed wanted to see the baby, it was taking some time - but they were all very much enjoying it. The race started at 8 AM, with the ringing of the bells in the courthouse steeple - and there was to be a "kids fun run" at 9:10 at the start/finish line of the 5k. She rounded the last corner and saw a huge crowd standing around for the kid's run just a few minutes away - and the courthouse bells rang for 9 AM just as she entered the "shoot" (sp?) and everyone was there to cheer her and our son across the finish line - as the last two to do so. My dad joked to them, "they're ringing the bells for you two."

Kids generally want them to do short and fast to develop leg speed (and then endurance as they get older). But if your kid isn't the sprinter maybe middle distance stuff.

Is he in about 5th/6th grade then? Club track might be the right thing depending on what part of the country you are in, or just have him keep on running 5Ks for fun until he reaches the point where track is offered in school. (Probably high school, but sometimes middle school in certain parts of the country). It sounds like his heart (and probably future) is in distance running, so 100 meter races probably wasn't the right thing, he could probably be right in the middle/front of the pack if he runs like a 800/1600m in club track. It's hard to gauge potential at that age, I know girls who have run 5:10-5:20 at that age and never broke 5 minutes even in college, and tons of guys (including myself) who are 6:30-7:30 milers at that age who develop into NCAA All-Americans or sub-sub-sub elites at road races. I would say the main thing is to find out what he really wants to do and try to develop a life long love for the sport from there. The rest of it should take care of itself.

P.S. Don't get discouraged if he comes home after track practice and hates it if you decide to give club track another try. There are a ton of terrible coaches out there that have a knack for ruining young talents. There are also tons of success stories where the runner and running just doesn't click at first, and then they give it another shot 2-3 years later and really loves it. It just needs to happen when they want it to most of the time.

Western States lottery details were released today. They estimate they'll fill 270 spots from the lottery next Saturday.....and there are 3,528 entrants with a combined 8,273 tickets vying for those 270 spots. As a previous two-time loser I have 4 of those tickets, so my odds are approximately 13.9% to get picked.

There are twenty-nine people named Sean/Shawn/Shaun in the lottery with a combined 90 tickets. Three others are "Sean G..." and one of them is even a "Sean Gr...". Odds of my heart jumping more than once as they pull out and read the names are pretty damned high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Western States lottery details were released today. They estimate they'll fill 270 spots from the lottery next Saturday.....and there are 3,528 entrants with a combined 8,273 tickets vying for those 270 spots. As a previous two-time loser I have 4 of those tickets, so my odds are approximately 13.9% to get picked.

There are twenty-nine people named Sean/Shawn/Shaun in the lottery with a combined 90 tickets. Three others are "Sean G..." and one of them is even a "Sean Gr...". Odds of my heart jumping more than once as they pull out and read the names are pretty damned high.
Planning to give my first 100 a go next September, and entry into the WS lottery would likely be in the cards (albeit with low odds) for the following year. I can't imagine the anxiety you're feeling...will be pulling for you!! What's your last name then Duck?

A good training week for me despite shortened mileage this past weekend - a big, wet snowstorm on Saturday and busy with activities (and a temperature drop that froze everything) on Sunday. I stayed on the track until it was closed prior to the storm. With pleasantly cool and sunny days during the week, I focused again on speed/tempo.

T: 7 miles with 10 x 800m @ 3:20-25. Basically Yasso halfs ..an encouraging number and pace.

W: 5 miles easy

Th: 8 miles with 3 x 2 miles (7:13/mi, HR-154 ...7:09/mi, HR-163 ..7:00/mi, HR-168)

F: 5 miles easy

S: 6 tough miles in pure slush. Feet soaked immediately, and the effort and extra weight took my mind off the continuing snowfall.

31 miles. I'd hoped to exceed 40, but pleased with the pacing elements. I figure that will help as I back off and work on longer distances and marathon pacing. Still a lingering issue on the ball of one foot, but it held up OK (and withstood 6 miles on pavement this a.m.).

Anyone besides Duck and me running a Turkey Trot? Mine is a 5K. I'm not really sure what to expect. I haven't done much to prepare so I'm basically running off marathon training fumes. I tried running fast a few times around the neighborhood but that didn't go well including having to walk due to the most painful side stitch of my life (and I wasn't feeling good regardless). However, I ran a progression run on the treadmill on Sunday and managed a 6:00 mile followed by a final .7 miles at 5:45. That didn't feel too bad but now my hip hurts and I'll have to rest that and stretch it out.

I'm more excited for my mom who is doing her first race in her life. She's a Garmin Contact of mine so I've seen her training. She's been averaging around 10 to 11 minute miles which I think is fantastic for a 68 year old female newbie.

Anyone besides Duck and me running a Turkey Trot? Mine is a 5K. I'm not really sure what to expect. I haven't done much to prepare so I'm basically running off marathon training fumes. I tried running fast a few times around the neighborhood but that didn't go well including having to walk due to the most painful side stitch of my life (and I wasn't feeling good regardless). However, I ran a progression run on the treadmill on Sunday and managed a 6:00 mile followed by a final .7 miles at 5:45. That didn't feel too bad but now my hip hurts and I'll have to rest that and stretch it out.

I'm more excited for my mom who is doing her first race in her life. She's a Garmin Contact of mine so I've seen her training. She's been averaging around 10 to 11 minute miles which I think is fantastic for a 68 year old female newbie.
I'm sure you're kill it Thursday. Good luck to momma Juxt too. :thumbup:

I'm actually signed up for a turkey trot 10k. I know I probably shouldn't "race" but I feel pretty well recovered already from my marathon. Wondering what the acceptable level of effort is 12 days post marathon.

That is too friggin awesome about your mom!!

Philadelphia Marathon Race Report
After a disappointing Boston marathon, only a 48 sec PR after 1.5 years of training, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the Fall. I went back and forth with the idea of training for a half and purchased Faster Road Racing by Pfitz to follow the half plan. However after two weeks of base training I decided that I didn't want to wait another 1.5 years to run a marathon. I needed to right this wrong. The plan was do base up over the summer and start the Pfitz 18/85 plan on July 20. It became apparent to me when looking at my July running numbers, I was just over a week into my training and I was already in or near PR shape. This was my big takeaway of this year, you can only improve so much in a 18 week training cycle and being near top shape at the start set me up for a breakthrough.

This was the summer of Strava and I think it helped everyone that signed up for it. It was really cool uploading a run and then seeing what everyone is was going. This was particularly good for me in that I was doing most of my running alone, all my training partners are injured. Going into this race my confidence was very high as my running metrics for this training cycle were significantly better than my previous ones. I was thinking that sub 3 was pretty much a sure thing.

The Race
The night before the race I slept pretty well, I fell asleep around 9:30 and woke up without an alarm at 3:30. I ate a granola bar and drank a pint of warm water. This is all I had to eat or drink prior to the race. I got to the train station at 4:30, and I was at the marathon security by 5:15. They weren't letting anyone when I got there, but once they did they were slow. I should have warned Ned of this, sorry my bad. The warm water thing worked for me and I met up with some of my friends at 5:45. We waited around for Ned, but once it got to be 25 minutes before the race and I still had to check my bag I couldn't wait any longer. It was kind of a pain to get to the gear check I ended up getting to the corral around 6:50. At 6:55 I took off my throwaway clothes, and then at 6:58 they made an announcement that there was going to be a delay due to a car accident on course. The race didn't start until 7:15, and by that time I was a little cold and stiff.

Miles 1-3 (6:55,7:29 mile marker was off, 5:56) 00:10 ahead of pace band
It took about a half a mile to warm-up and the first mile was felt easy. The 2nd mile in Philly is always long, every year you hear people freaking out once we get to the 2 mile marker. After 3 miles I was a little ahead of pace.

Miles 4-6 (6:54, 6:54, 6:53) 00:02 ahead of pace band
Since I knew that I was a little ahead of pace I decided to take it easy in mile 4, and then sneak a peek at HR after the start of mile 5. I was expecting to see a HR of 155 or under and then I was going to pick up the pace until the HR was in the 158-160 range. When I checked my HR it was at 165, this kind of freaked me out, I then cycled power to the HRM and unfortunately the HR stayed in the 165 range. I decided at this point that I was going to follow my pace band and then pick it up over the last 6.2 miles. I think I had Clif shot block and a little bit of water during this stretch.

Miles 7-9 (13:45 I missed the 7 mile marker (6:52 avg), 6:46) 00:10 ahead of pace band
Nothing significant happened here, except I saw a guy running in sandals, he was a little guy and I ended up seeing him later around 15. I have never seen that before. I guess I should mention that even though my HR was higher than expected and I was pretty comfortable running, I was anxious (worried about my HR) but my legs felt fine and I was relaxed with my breathing.

Miles 10-13 (7:04, 6:43, 6:50, 6:49) 00:15 ahead of pace band
Mile 10 had one of two decent size hills, it wasn't bad. The thing I remember about it was that I took a shot block right before it. Miles 11-13 were some of the easiest miles for me, I had a decent tailwind and I felt like I was getting into a nice rythym.

Miles 14-17 (6:49, 6:55, 6:45, 6:58) 00:09 ahead of pace band
Going into the race the weather forecast called for some windy conditions the wind blowing from the NW, and based on the course layout miles 14-20 were going to be into the wind. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to run by HR for this race, I didn't know how much the headwind was going to effect my pace. The wind was between 15-18mph with gusts up to 28. Shortly into mile 14 this bigger runner and I were running side by side and I started to notice runners drafting us. By mile 15.5 there was about a group of 15-20 runners packed in behind us, it was kind of crazy we had our own unofficial 3:00 pace group and I was leading it. I figured that I had done enough work for the group and I stepped aside and got into the back of the pack. I have never run in a pace group before, but it was kind of nice to zone out for a while and not worry pace.

Miles 18-21 (6:46, 6:50, 13:35 missed the 20 mile marker) 00:29 ahead of pace band
The pace group was working great for me until we got to a bridge shortly after the 17 mile marker. Once we got on the bridge the group slowed down, I don't know it was because there were too many of us and might have been too much traffic. Here a tall skinny dude and I broke away from the pack and started running together. This guy didn't seem like he was working at all I we ran together up until the turnaround point just before mile 20. After the turnaround I was thinking to myself once I get to the 20 miler marker only a 10k to go and I will pick it up, thought of the 10k thread, said to myself I have run a 10k pretty well recently, and before I knew it I missed the 20 mile marker. Oh well I didn't feel wind in my face anymore and was feeling pretty good considering I ran 20 miles, but not as strong as the tall guy I was running with he took off.

Miles 22-24 (6:38, 6:50, 6:52) 00:41 ahead of pace band
Mile 22 was my fastest of the day and I thought I could run at this pace the rest of the way in, sub 6:40 the rest of the way. Then during mile 23 I noticed that with the same effort as mile 22 I was slowing down. Then it seemed like getting to mile 24 was taking forever and taking even more effort to stay on goal pace.

Miles 25-finish (6:55, 6:51, 1:24 (6:12 pace)) (2:59:08) over an 8 minute PR
At this point I know as long as I don't completely cramp up I will run sub 3 hr marathon. I am starting to feel tightness on my right hamstring, so I shorten my stride a bit. I am not trying to improve my time, just trying protect what I got. Even still somewhere around here I caught the tall dude that ditched me around the 20 mile marker. For the first time ever on this course I notice the 26 mile marker and attempt to pick it up a bit. I didn't feel like I had much of a kick at the end but the watch says I ran the last 0.2 in 6:12 pace.

Once I finished I was equal parts happy and relieved that I broke 3. This was my first negative split in a marathon 1:29:40/1:29:28, and while I think this course it setup perfectly to negative split I don't think too many runners did so on this day with the wind. I don't understand why my HR was elevated compared to my marathon pace training runs.

What's next? Definitely conflicted, excited to get better but also need a break. I will likely try to run at a minimum 150 miles in Dec and then start making decisions.

Awesome job, PBM. You definitely took it to the next level this race season. :thumbup:

And as you said, I loved the strava interaction this summer/fall. It was really cool to go for a morning run and then see you, Ned and Juxt's runs pop up. We're all hundreds of miles apart but it felt like we all training together. It certainly helped me.

Congrats again pbm! You're such a smart, strategic runner! Maybe the elevated heart rate was just due to the race atmosphere? Although if that was the case I'd think you would have experienced that in other marathons. Very odd. How do you think you would have fared without a monitor? I wonder if you had sped up earlier if you would have been able to hang on.

I thoroughly enjoyed and was helped by the Summer of Strava too -- particularly with us having the same goal during the same cycle. I'm happy and relieved we both made it!

Great report pbm, I learn a lot from you faster guys and how you manage races. Looking forward to the winter of Strava and it motivating me to get in the best shape possible for Boston.

Maybe the elevated heart rate was just due to the race atmosphere? Although if that was the case I'd think you would have experienced that in other marathons.
I can't seem to make any sense of what to expect with my HR during marathons. In my marathon pace runs this cycle I was able to run faster than 6:50 and my HR stayed under 163. Perhaps the race atmosphere gets to me. Going in based on my previous marathons I thought 163 was the magic number but now it is looking like the outlier.

2012 Philly AVG HR 170 04:28 positive split

2013 Philly AVG HR 163 00:23 positive split

2015 Boston AVG HR 168 04:51 positive split

2015 Philly AVG HR 167 00:12 negative split

How do you think you would have fared without a monitor? I wonder if you had sped up earlier if you would have been able to hang on.
Good question, if I didn't wear a HR monitor and decided to go out at 6:40 (based on my training I thought this was possible) I likely would have crashed and burned. That being said I do struggle with what is the correct effort level for this distance. This was by far the easiest marathon I have run, but does that mean I ran it just about right or was I capable of more? When I first started out I really struggled with distances over 5K, for me I wasn't racing unless I was giving a lot of effort and that got me in trouble. I ended up in the medical tent for my first 10 miler and the first half marathon I raced it took me over 40 minutes to finish the last 5K.

For now I think I am okay with taking chances on shorter races, but will tend to be conservative on longer ones. I was hoping the HRM would provide me info that would allow me to be more aggressive for this one but it just wasn't meant to be.

But hey, before we all start talking about this year in past tense...I got a 50K to run next month! :excited: :scared:
I was wondering why you have been running so much already.
Part of me really wanted a break after the marathon but I've done this race the past 3 years and have decent amount of friends running it again. This will probably be the first time I've been decently trained for the distance.

Getting back to running again has felt pretty good so far. I don't really feel any ill effects of the marathon. So I figured I'd try to run about 40ish miles this week and then get back to the 50's the following week and see how that feels.

My training has been sporadic since the marathon - it's been time to pay the wife back for all the time I've taken away from remodeling her kitchen. So for the last month I've been tearing out kitchen floors, installing floor tile, installing the backsplash, etc.

Glad she volunteered our house for Thanksgiving. :wall:

On the positive side, have been getting some good strength training hauling durarock, tile, doing hundreds of squats working on the floor, etc. Some good core work spreading mortar and grout. I am beat up. :lol:

Anywhoo, now that the hard work is over, back to running more than the 3 days a week I've been able to squeeze out. And the weather is nice and cool. :headbang:

Maybe the elevated heart rate was just due to the race atmosphere? Although if that was the case I'd think you would have experienced that in other marathons.
I can't seem to make any sense of what to expect with my HR during marathons. In my marathon pace runs this cycle I was able to run faster than 6:50 and my HR stayed under 163. Perhaps the race atmosphere gets to me. Going in based on my previous marathons I thought 163 was the magic number but now it is looking like the outlier.

2012 Philly AVG HR 170 04:28 positive split

2013 Philly AVG HR 163 00:23 positive split

2015 Boston AVG HR 168 04:51 positive split

2015 Philly AVG HR 167 00:12 negative split

How do you think you would have fared without a monitor? I wonder if you had sped up earlier if you would have been able to hang on.
Good question, if I didn't wear a HR monitor and decided to go out at 6:40 (based on my training I thought this was possible) I likely would have crashed and burned. That being said I do struggle with what is the correct effort level for this distance. This was by far the easiest marathon I have run, but does that mean I ran it just about right or was I capable of more? When I first started out I really struggled with distances over 5K, for me I wasn't racing unless I was giving a lot of effort and that got me in trouble. I ended up in the medical tent for my first 10 miler and the first half marathon I raced it took me over 40 minutes to finish the last 5K.

For now I think I am okay with taking chances on shorter races, but will tend to be conservative on longer ones. I was hoping the HRM would provide me info that would allow me to be more aggressive for this one but it just wasn't meant to be.
Your experience is exactly what I've experienced in every one of my marathons. My MP runs all were at a lower HR than what I had during the marathon itself (165ish MP vs 171 marathon). I've chalked it up to 2 things: 1 = race day adrenaline; 2 = your body is run down during training vs. being tapered/fresh for the marathon.

Congrats again on a phenomenal training cycle and race!

But hey, before we all start talking about this year in past tense...I got a 50K to run next month! :excited: :scared:
:hifive: pretty sure you'll be an hour or so ahead of me, but 50ks are fun!

which one are you doing?
It's called the Seashore Nature Trail 50K in First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach. Not much elevation. Just some rolling hills on dirt running paths. It's a pretty fast course by ultra standards. How bout you? What are you running?

which one are you doing?
It's called the Seashore Nature Trail 50K in First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach. Not much elevation. Just some rolling hills on dirt running paths. It's a pretty fast course by ultra standards. How bout you? What are you running?
that sounds a lot better than mine.New Year's eve, run out 1 mile, then run a 3 mile loop 10 times. https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=33919

The 50km course consists of a 1 mile out and back followed by ten (10) loops of the 3 mile course at the Huntsville Running Park. The footing is hard packed dirt with rocks and roots mostly with some short sections on crushed stone. The course runs on the edge of the golf course with the first and last section across a grassy field. The 3 mile loop slowly climbs for the entire first mile (about 80' of elevation gain) followed by a steep downhill toward the highway. From there it is a small loop, always staying to the left, before returning to the base of the hill. After climbing the hill and topping out, the winds its way back on itself through the 2nd mile mark and back toward the start. The only deviation on this out and back course is the last section, where runners exit the woods and stay north along the fence line to make a loop of the field, before rejoining the out portion of the course, and back to the start. The miles are marked with signs and the arrows along the course guide runners which direction to take.

which one are you doing?
that sounds a lot better than mine.New Year's eve, run out 1 mile, then run a 3 mile loop 10 times. https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=33919

The 50km course consists of a 1 mile out and back followed by ten (10) loops of the 3 mile course at the Huntsville Running Park. The footing is hard packed dirt with rocks and roots mostly with some short sections on crushed stone. The course runs on the edge of the golf course with the first and last section across a grassy field. The 3 mile loop slowly climbs for the entire first mile (about 80' of elevation gain) followed by a steep downhill toward the highway. From there it is a small loop, always staying to the left, before returning to the base of the hill. After climbing the hill and topping out, the winds its way back on itself through the 2nd mile mark and back toward the start. The only deviation on this out and back course is the last section, where runners exit the woods and stay north along the fence line to make a loop of the field, before rejoining the out portion of the course, and back to the start. The miles are marked with signs and the arrows along the course guide runners which direction to take.
Not sure I could handle that many small loops. My course is basically two 15 mile out and backs. So yeah, I guess maybe that's pretty boring too.

Planning to give my first 100 a go next September, and entry into the WS lottery would likely be in the cards (albeit with low odds) for the following year. I can't imagine the anxiety you're feeling...will be pulling for you!! What's your last name then Duck?
Nive, which race? Superior, Bear, RRR, Hallucination, other?

I'll get in this thing eventually.....but sure hoping its this year. (And it's Grove).

I'll get in this thing eventually.....but sure hoping its this year. (And it's Grove).
duck are you running the turkey trot at IVC tomorrow? I'm supposed to run in the 10k but my knees are both so bad and with the cold weather that I'm thinking of just running the 5k portion. I'll be training today at the speakeasy to prepare the knees :banned:

Great report, PBM. Congrats again.

I have also experienced higher than anticipated HR during a marathon. In fact, it freaked me out so badly in previous marathons that I decided not to look at it during my PR race two years ago. If I had seen those 170s I would have slowed down.

That's why I ditched the HRM for my last 2 big races. Sure the data would have been nice afterwards but I think we just need to trust our own feel/instincts during a race. Racing is already such a mental battle for me that I don't want anything that's going to put doubts in my head. I need to just trust myself that I know what sustainable feels like.

Planning the Superior 100, assuming I get in when it opens in March. Did the Superior 50 in 2014, and just can't get enough of the Superior Hiking Trail.

Well 14% odds...I like it. I'm feeling a ticket pulled for you. I'll be tuning in come Saturday. Good luck!

Wow pbm, awesome race. Can't imagine running 6:50's for 26.2. That's got to feel awesome when you're done. Congrats on an incredible accomplishment!

which one are you doing?

Not sure I could handle that many small loops. My course is basically two 15 mile out and backs. So yeah, I guess maybe that's pretty boring too.
agreed, but with the race being 4 miles from my office I couldn't pass it up.

duck are you running the turkey trot at IVC tomorrow? I'm supposed to run in the 10k but my knees are both so bad and with the cold weather that I'm thinking of just running the 5k portion. I'll be training today at the speakeasy to prepare the knees :banned:
Joe, I'm actually up in Oregon for the holiday so running one up here.

And one of these days we'll meet up for some Speakeasy training!

Planning the Superior 100, assuming I get in when it opens in March. Did the Superior 50 in 2014, and just can't get enough of the Superior Hiking Trail.

Well 14% odds...I like it. I'm feeling a ticket pulled for you. I'll be tuning in come Saturday. Good luck!
Superior is a lottery as well? Wow, the "States Effect" hits so many of the qualifying races now it's starting to get ridiculous. That's why I already registered for a qualifying 100K that didn't have a lottery, and thank god I did as it sold out yesterday.

I just got my email validating my 2016 qualifier and confirming my four tickets. The lottery is next Saturday, the 5th, at 8:30 AM PT. You can follow it live here.

Superior is a lottery as well? Wow, the "States Effect" hits so many of the qualifying races now it's starting to get ridiculous. That's why I already registered for a qualifying 100K that didn't have a lottery, and thank god I did as it sold out yesterday.

I just got my email validating my 2016 qualifier and confirming my four tickets. The lottery is next Saturday, the 5th, at 8:30 AM PT. You can follow it live here.
Yep, the Superior 100/50/Marathon moved to a lottery for the 2015 event. Word was that they had so many people attempting to process registrations the minute it opened in 2014 that the system bogged down, which meant more runners hitting refresh and more load on the system. I believe their site crashed almost entirely for something like 4 hours, and when it was back up and running the slots filled within a few hours. People were up in arms and stressed out about it, so they made the decision last year to move to a lottery. One week period to register, followed by a straight across the board drawing of names (no tickets, multipliers, etc). All that said, I'm pretty sure they made it through the lottery process last year without filling, then filled up almost immediately upon open registration. So I'd say something like a 90+% chance to get into the 100 mile race through the lottery process if not better.

Oh, and if you ever have a chance to get up here to MN for it, or even for a weekend on the trail, I'd highly recommend. The Superior Hiking Trail is surprisingly challenging and technical too, considering it's in Minnesota. The Superior 100/50/Marathon is put on by RockSteady Running (John Storkamp) and I'll go on record that I can't imagine there's many ultras in the world more well run that their events (a few MN ultras and a summer trail run series). Highly recommend.

By the way Duck, I'm not sure the influx in registration for the Superior 100 has much to do with it being a qualifier for Western States. I think it has more to do with the general growth in the sport, coupled with it being one of the few 100's in the upper midwest, multiplied by the event being incredibly well run.

I'm still a believer in running the distance races (road races) by HR. It controls me from pushing too hard too early; it gives me confidence that I can manage the late pain. Bottom line, the objective HR data trumps the subjective mind games.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Happy Thanksgiving to all here and their families. Had a wonderful 5 miler this morning in 62 degree weather, with a light rain falling toward the end.

I'm thankful for all the help you guys have given over the last couple of years. Much appreciated. :yes: :thumbup:

"Successful" 10K for this fat ultrarunner, chip time of 52:04, 121 of 396 and 5th of 17 M40-44. New PR (only have run one other, and it was 55 and change).

I threw on the HRM for the first time in months so I could use the pace/HR data for some workouts the next 8 weeks:

8:52/152

8:14/162

8:23/161

8:35/157

8:44/163

7:51/167

7:13/176 last .2

Pretty crowded early so it took me a couple of minutes to be able to get to the pace I wanted. The race had some nice little rolling hills, which was good for me to be able to mix up pace/stride just a little throughout. In looking at my paces and HR I'm thinking I probably could have pushed a little more throughout, and probably could have picked it up before the final mile as well. But considering I had no idea what to expect or how to pace this thing, I'm pretty happy with how it went.

Hope you all have some great runs, family time, drinks, and grub on this Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for all the great motivation and advice that this thread has provided over the years!

Users who are viewing this thread