What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Had our marathon team kickoff meeting last night. They've added a second coach, Louis Serafini, a Steve Chu-like character who recently qualified for the Olympic marathon trials by running a qualifying HM. Also ran Boston in 2:27 last year good for 61st over all. He's going to be running a hill workout on Wed evenings on Heartbreak Hill, will try to get to as many of those as I can.

The meeting definitely got me fired up and got me out of bed this morning for the first time in a while to go out for an early run. And it was the first good one in a while, not a single suicidal thought throughout...started slow and picked it up as I went, 7M @ 8:29 for the run and actually enjoyed it. I have to keep getting my ### out in the mornings, for some reason they always go better than lunch runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lifted weights for the first time in YEARS on Tuesday (bench and incline bench), and my chest is so sore that I can barely move today. :cry:

Oh.... angry worms?? :confused: :confused:

It's just getting cool enough for me here. I am enjoying the 40-degree mornings.

Planning a 20-miler for tomorrow to wrap up a good week. I should end up in the mid 60s for miles.

Swamp Stomp half next Saturday, our biggest local race. That will be five weeks out from the Houston Marathon. I will try to get a couple more 20s in before tapering.

Gotta stay healthy!

tri-man 47 said:
gruecd said:
Duck was getting ill thinking about my track miles. I assured him my runs were similar to his, except I had angry-looking worms on a rainy morning vs. his coyotes and mountain lion threats. Pretty much the same.
I saw a coyote in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. Ran up on him and he was maybe 30 yards from me. And I live in the city, though there are some creeks and wooded areas nearby.

worrierking said:
It's just getting cool enough for me here. I am enjoying the 40-degree mornings.

Planning a 20-miler for tomorrow to wrap up a good week. I should end up in the mid 60s for miles.

Swamp Stomp half next Saturday, our biggest local race. That will be five weeks out from the Houston Marathon. I will try to get a couple more 20s in before tapering.

Gotta stay healthy!
:angry:

tri-man 47 said:
gruecd said:
Duck was getting ill thinking about my track miles. I assured him my runs were similar to his, except I had angry-looking worms on a rainy morning vs. his coyotes and mountain lion threats. Pretty much the same.
I saw a coyote in my neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. Ran up on him and he was maybe 30 yards from me. And I live in the city, though there are some creeks and wooded areas nearby.
I live in a city but there are 200 ft. of woods and a stream behind my house that wind through the city. We have a family of deer that wander through pretty often and two different coyotes that live back there. Pretty sweet. The neighborhood facebook flips out every time one of the coyotes is spotted. Some freak out about their poor dogs/cats and kids, others like me think it's pretty cool that we have them in the city.

And the reason I know there are two is that one of them only has three legs. Not many things more badass than a three-legged coyote.

I haven't been around in here lately but ran a 5k this morning - we won't focus on my time but my 10yr old won his age group! 23:46 with one HUGE hill. His running club coach thinks they could take a minute or two off that time on an average course. So proud of him!
That's awesome!

It's lottery day fellas. Just took my seat in the Placer High auditorium, here's hoping I'm one of the lucky 270 or so today.
:kicksrock: 0-3 now. Oh well, 8 tickets for next year! And I now know what my next race is, The Canyons 100K in May which covers 31 miles of the WS course.

And my buddy Surf (paced him here in '14 and at RdL 100 last month) got in for the 2nd time in 3 years! So at least I'll have someone to pace and crew again.

Of course I'm technically in the Hardrock 100 lottery today, too, with odds around 1% so I'm not really factoring that into the plans.

It's lottery day fellas. Just took my seat in the Placer High auditorium, here's hoping I'm one of the lucky 270 or so today.
:kicksrock: 0-3 now. Oh well, 8 tickets for next year! And I now know what my next race is, The Canyons 100K in May which covers 31 miles of the WS course.

And my buddy Surf (paced him here in '14 and at RdL 100 last month) got in for the 2nd time in 3 years! So at least I'll have someone to pace and crew again.

Of course I'm technically in the Hardrock 100 lottery today, too, with odds around 1% so I'm not really factoring that into the plans.
Tough one Duck, I see that one of the five runners with 128 tickets (7 years) didn't get in. Is he automatically in next year? It is crazy how popular this race is.

:kicksrock: 0-3 now. Oh well, 8 tickets for next year! And I now know what my next race is, The Canyons 100K in May which covers 31 miles of the WS course.And my buddy Surf (paced him here in '14 and at RdL 100 last month) got in for the 2nd time in 3 years! So at least I'll have someone to pace and crew again.

Tough one Duck, I see that one of the five runners with 128 tickets (7 years) didn't get in. Is he automatically in next year? It is crazy how popular this race is.
After the lottery they pick 3 more runners from the people that are in attendance. They suggested that we could give one of those spots to that 7 year guy and it was overwhelming applause, so he's in.

I ran the Rehoboth Beach HM this morning and had a friggin blast. I spent a lot of time reminiscing running the BQ here last year. I'm amazed at how much I remember from that run still. Lots of little details reminded me of that special day. :wub:

My legs were pretty well trashed after the Philly half from two weeks ago. My right hamstring in particular was constantly tight and achy. 99% sure it's just adhesions since it feels exactly the same when I battled adhesions last fall. I got aggressive with stretching and lots of foam rolling which ended up doing the trick. My legs finally felt really good yesterday. So good I wasn't sure I wanted to push it at Rehoboth and be right back into that super sore mode. It was nice to feel good for a change.

Just like in Philly I was just going to let my legs tell me what I can handle today. My running has been sparse so I had no grand ideas of PRing (1:27:10). I took off and kept it smooth; legs were nice and loose. I'm quickly realizing that I'm feeling really good. First five miles went by so fast. 6:53/162, 6:45/172, 6:51/174, 6:45/177, 6:56/173

I wanted to stay well below 180 HR since I feel like my cardio is well ahead of my legs. I'm settled in by myself after five miles, which seems to happen to me a lot. I see a pack of 6-8 guys way up ahead of me and decide to try and reel them in. As I slowly reel them in they start to fall apart. I'm fully into race mode now, but was paying a lot of attention to my hamstring. Any twinges and I'm tapping out.

There's a sharp turn around just after mile 9. I see a guy that had barely beaten me at the miler I ran in October; he was waaaay ahead of me. That pissed me off. It was on. I started to pick it up and picked guys off left and right. I was rolling well and no signs of hammy issues. Miles 6-10: 6:47/174, 6:53/176, 6:50/174, 6:50/172, 6:46/172

By mile 11 I though #### it; I'm passing anyone within sight. I just dropped the hammer and let it flow. It felt so damn good to press and not feel like something was going to snap. It seems like it had been a long time since I've felt this good! Last splits: 6:44/176, 6:37/179, 6:27/181, 5:49/184

Total time 1:28:46. To run this well on no training has me SIKED!! :headbang:

I saw that on strava and went, whoa. Encouraging you had that in you after the funk you've been in this fall. Great springboard to 2016!

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Too bad Duck. What will be the odds next year?

Nice race Ned! Strong finish! That's awesome that you still seem to have PR level cardio. I agree with Mac. If your legs finally get right and you put in the work, you should have a great 2016 spring!

• Smile
Great job Ned, I am looking forward to seeing what you can do this spring. Hopefully you'll pick Broad Street as one of your goal races.

• Smile
Juxtatarot said:

Nice race Ned! Strong finish! That's awesome that you still seem to have PR level cardio. I agree with Mac. If your legs finally get right and you put in the work, you should have a great 2016 spring!
Depends on how many people enter. Entries were up over 30% this year after a slight dip last year when they raised the qualifying standards from 50M to 100K or 100M. This year, a 4th year entrant had a 25% chance, vs the 13% chance I had. But next year it'll be south of there for sure, probably somewhere in the 17%-20% range.

Think of it this way - 133 of the 171 four year losers lost again today. That's the bucket I'll be in next year, but that bucket will likely consist of most of the 324 (out of 377) of us third timers that didn't make it in today.

They're going to have to raise the qualifying standards again. They've really resisted requiring a 100M finish, as they like the idea of people being able to have States as their first considering it was the first for all of the old timers. But there are some 100M races that are "too easy" that should probably be cut out but are still included in the list due to (I presume) personal relationships with the RDs. It's their race, they can do what they want, but I do think they'll continue to try to find ways to reduce pressure on the lottery. Whatever they require, I'll keep banging it out each year until I finally get to toe that line in Squaw. Someday......

Juxtatarot said:

Depends on how many people enter. Entries were up over 30% this year after a slight dip last year when they raised the qualifying standards from 50M to 100K or 100M. This year, a 4th year entrant had a 25% chance, vs the 13% chance I had. But next year it'll be south of there for sure, probably somewhere in the 17%-20% range.

Think of it this way - 133 of the 171 four year losers lost again today. That's the bucket I'll be in next year, but that bucket will likely consist of most of the 324 (out of 377) of us third timers that didn't make it in today.

They're going to have to raise the qualifying standards again. They've really resisted requiring a 100M finish, as they like the idea of people being able to have States as their first considering it was the first for all of the old timers. But there are some 100M races that are "too easy" that should probably be cut out but are still included in the list due to (I presume) personal relationships with the RDs. It's their race, they can do what they want, but I do think they'll continue to try to find ways to reduce pressure on the lottery. Whatever they require, I'll keep banging it out each year until I finally get to toe that line in Squaw. Someday......
I found this site when I was trying to figure out Duck's chances today.

Juxtatarot said:

I found this site when I was trying to figure out Duck's chances today.
First of all, really cool and a little humbling that you dudes are watching this online, trying to figure my odds, etc. Love this place.

Second, according to the dude in that link, this should be my expected odds progression:

Eight (4 yrs) tickets in 2016 progression:.....Year Total

2016 25.6% 25.6%

2017 35.5% 52.0%

2018 47.5% 74.8%

2019 61.1% 90.2%

2020 74.6% 97.5%

2021 86.4% 99.7%

2022 94.4% 100.0%
So I only need to keep qualifying for another seven years, until I am 50, to virtually guarantee an entry. No problem!

pbm- How does the forecast look? What's the race strategy?
His dress rehearsal looked awesome. Can't wait to see what he does.
The weather looks good except that it could be windy. I found out that Ned will be running with me the first half of the race, which is awesome and should be a huge help.

The plan is to wear a 2:59:59 pace band, but I think I can do better than that. How much better is really the question. I am hoping that the HRM will be working properly and I will be able to pickup the pace based on HR. So the preliminary plan is to run the first few miles at 6:52 and then take a peak at the HR, if it is in the mid 150s like I am expecting I will pickup the pace so that the HR is 158-160 until the half. For my best paced marathon my avg HR was 163 so I am thinking if I do this it should set me up for a strong 2nd half.

I never thought I'd be shooting for something faster than 2:59:59 this cycle, but my pace/HR numbers the past 1.5 months have me convinced that I am capable of more.
My running sucks right now, so I just hope I can support you for longer than 5mi before I start sucking wind! I was glad you said yes - otherwise I wasn't really too excited to run Philly. I've been a total slug since my marathon - so I feel like I'd just be going through the motions. Selfishly, running with you gives me a purpose!

The wind looks to be W, so that should bode well once you get turned around at mile 19.5 in Manyunk. Its going to make the hills at 8-9 a little more challenging, but you'll still be fresh there.

Looking forward to seeing you cross the line with a 2 still on the clock!
So you're pacing? How does that work? Are you signed up for the full?
I've been signed up for the half since April (been running the full or half here since 2010). I originally wanted to PR this race, but I became a self-loathing slacker after my September marathon. I figured since I wasn't running Philly for any real reason, I'd try to run the first half with pbm to help him get the sub 3.

I vividly remember SC hugely helping me in Philly 3 years ago by running the first 19 together. I hope I can do the same for pbm.
Yup....I helped him until he decided to get fast and now his marathon PR is 20 minutes better than mine! :P

• Smile
Super impressive race, Ned!

Sorry about having to wait another year, Duck. I'm sure you'll be rewarded for your persistence soon enough. But did you say you're trying to get into the Hard Rock? Isn't that race supposed be horribly sadistic with a ridiculously low finisher percentage??

• Smile
Great job Ned, I am looking forward to seeing what you can do this spring. Hopefully you'll pick Broad Street as one of your goal races.
Broad Street 10 miler? I remember Koby talking about this race. pbm will this be an A race for you this spring? Ned, do you think you'll run it?

I've been thinking about this since I read this post yesterday. Although one of my spring goals will be to cut down my 5K time, I also wanted to have a longer race as a A-ish race. 10 miles sounds like a nice distance. Maybe this would be worth the flight out for me. Plus, I can't think of anything better to help with training motivation than a showdown! :D

Broad Street 10 miler? I remember Koby talking about this race. pbm will this be an A race for you this spring? Ned, do you think you'll run it?

I've been thinking about this since I read this post yesterday. Although one of my spring goals will be to cut down my 5K time, I also wanted to have a longer race as a A-ish race. 10 miles sounds like a nice distance. Maybe this would be worth the flight out for me. Plus, I can't think of anything better to help with training motivation than a showdown! :D
Yes it is the Broad Street run, it would be awesome if you flew out for it. You are welcome to stay at my place if you want. It is probably the fastest 10 miler you can find, mostly downhill. I think this would give me plenty of motivation trying to keep up with you at this distance.

Yes it is the Broad Street run, it would be awesome if you flew out for it. You are welcome to stay at my place if you want. It is probably the fastest 10 miler you can find, mostly downhill. I think this would give me plenty of motivation trying to keep up with you at this distance.
Awesome! I'm not positive yet but this is a strong possibility. Looks like it's a lottery to get in but you can also get in by a $500 charity entry, right?

Awesome! I'm not positive yet but this is a strong possibility. Looks like it's a lottery to get in but you can also get in by a $500 charity entry, right?
It is a lottery but most people that signup get in.

Great run Ned! Tough Luck Duck.

McNeese lost in the playoffs last night so I will have more free time on weekends to wrap up my training. Managed 20 yesterday and 13 today. Half coming up Saturday.

tri-man 47 said:
Lol...just looked up the hardrock 100. Almost 34000 ft of climbing and an average finish of 41 hours. :doh: :lmao:
I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Hardest 100M in the country, most of it between 10,000-14,000 ft, and it scares the #### out of me. Luckily, I didn't get picked in that lottery either. For those keeping track:Western States: 0-3

Miwok 100K: 0-2

Hardrock 100: 0-1

I suck at lotteries.

Good thing there are lots of great ultras out there. The Canyons 100K, see you in May.

Last edited by a moderator:
tri-man 47 said:
Lol...just looked up the hardrock 100. Almost 34000 ft of climbing and an average finish of 41 hours. :doh: :lmao:
Hardest 100M in the country, and it scares the #### out of me. Luckily, I didn't get picked in that lottery either. For those keeping track:

Western States: 0-3

I suck at lotteries.

Good thing there are lots of great ultras out there. The Canyons 100K, see you in May.
Do these charge fees to be get your name in?

----

On my end just riding winter style. Two outside rides this week - 200 watts for 1:30 and 190 watts for 2:30. Even tried today to keep the power down and just get in a good endurance ride. Just can't seem to do it on these solo rides. That's some very nice power for me .

tri-man 47 said:
Hardest 100M in the country, and it scares the #### out of me. Luckily, I didn't get picked in that lottery either. For those keeping track:

Western States: 0-3

I suck at lotteries.

Do these charge fees to be get your name in?
Only Hardrock, which charges something like a $12-$15 admin fee. The rest automatically charge your credit card when you are picked. Or so I've heard......

Anyone in here use metatarsal pads? Curious which ones/where to buy. My wife uses them but tough to find any sort of quality ones. Sorry if discussed before, search function is bad.

More solid progress in my training during this quick gear-up.

T: 10 mi (track) tempo w/ 8 mi @ 7:35/mi, HR:158

W: 4 miles recovery

Th: 12 mi (road) @ 8:52/mi, HR: 138. Still dragging from Tuesday.

F: 4 miles w/ 2000m @ 6:57 pace.

Sun: 21 miles (track!) 8:35/mi, HR: 140

51 miles. Tuesday's hard tempo was a great run. I thought I'd need to back off, but never did. HR was just hitting 160 at the end - in a good marathon (8:00 or higher pace), I hit 160 around mile 10. So holding 150s that long at that sub-marathon pace was very encouraging. Sunday's 21 miler - on the track to protect the bruised foot (which held up well) - went fine, although I had a few interruptions due to an active tummy. Great to hold a low HR at that very comfortable pace. I'll target another long run in about ten days then taper for two weeks before the marathon.

More solid progress in my training during this quick gear-up.

T: 10 mi (track) tempo w/ 8 mi @ 7:35/mi, HR:158

W: 4 miles recovery

Th: 12 mi (road) @ 8:52/mi, HR: 138. Still dragging from Tuesday.

F: 4 miles w/ 2000m @ 6:57 pace.

Sun: 21 miles (track!) 8:35/mi, HR: 140

51 miles. Tuesday's hard tempo was a great run. I thought I'd need to back off, but never did. HR was just hitting 160 at the end - in a good marathon (8:00 or higher pace), I hit 160 around mile 10. So holding 150s that long at that sub-marathon pace was very encouraging. Sunday's 21 miler - on the track to protect the bruised foot (which held up well) - went fine, although I had a few interruptions due to an active tummy. Great to hold a low HR at that very comfortable pace. I'll target another long run in about ten days then taper for two weeks before the marathon.
I like the trend of lower HR. That was a perfect Sunday run! :hifive:

Adding to all of my lottery malaise I had only run twice in the last 10 days and not since last Tuesday due to my achilles still being flared up from that damned 10K Turkey Trot. Headed out this morning to test it out and it was a little sore the first mile or so but then felt better and was able to actually get in a decent 5 mile trail run. Felt great to be out there again, on a perfect drizzly 55 degree day. Headed off to my torture doc in a bit to have him Graston and laser the calves, and probably laser the achilles a bit as well. Planning on every other day for a week or so to see if it holds up, and then hopefully start ramping up my volume again next week.

Kicked off week one of the 20 week marathon program this morning with 6M @ 8:21 pace, then went to the heart doc for the first time since the ablation. Long story short, everything looks great and got the green light to stop taking the beta blocker which was a nice surprise. Expectation was that I'd be on it another 7 weeks but he saw no reason to continue given the total absence of afib since the procedure. I'm psyched! Need to stay on the blood thinners another 6 months but I can live with that. Can't wait to see what the difference will be with running and my energy levels in general. I'd gotten used to being tired all of the time so it was kind of the new normal for me, hoping this gives me a boost.

At the same time my last few runs have been a ton better those of the past month. Ran 10 on Saturday @ 8;43 and felt great. Another good one this morning and my mindset has taken a 180 from where I was just a week ago.

Adding to all of my lottery malaise I had only run twice in the last 10 days and not since last Tuesday due to my achilles still being flared up from that damned 10K Turkey Trot. Headed out this morning to test it out and it was a little sore the first mile or so but then felt better and was able to actually get in a decent 5 mile trail run. Felt great to be out there again, on a perfect drizzly 55 degree day. Headed off to my torture doc in a bit to have him Graston and laser the calves, and probably laser the achilles a bit as well. Planning on every other day for a week or so to see if it holds up, and then hopefully start ramping up my volume again next week.
what kind of doc are you seeing? I finally sucked it up and got an MRI on my left knee (the heathier of the 2) and the results are not good :no: I had Dr. Wolfe do my right knee 9 years ago but he is a mofo to book with and I'd prefer to get this done sooner rather than later.

what kind of doc are you seeing? I finally sucked it up and got an MRI on my left knee (the heathier of the 2) and the results are not good :no: I had Dr. Wolfe do my right knee 9 years ago but he is a mofo to book with and I'd prefer to get this done sooner rather than later.
Sorry to hear that, that sucks.

He's actually a chiropractor, and self described "soft tissue geek". While he does do a quick adjustment on me at the end of the session that's the only "chiropractic" work he does, with the rest of the time consisting of electro-stim, two different types of lasers, Graston, and evaluation of imbalances or other issues. He gets athletes as he treats a lot of them and is a pretty accomplished mountain bike racer himself.

So he's not gonna help you if you need surgery. But if you wanted a second opinion outside of the typical medical establishment then give him a call: Chappy Wood

I really need to do hills more often. It's been over a month since I did the "mountain" (not much of a mountain really, Strava lists it at 572') so I decided to test myself on it this morning. It's about 1.7 miles, previous best was 17 minutes (which wasn't really pushing it hard but still my best out of 5), got it at roughly 15:30 for a 9 minute clip. Really feel like I should be faster but I wasn't able to push harder.

Very happy with where I am right now. Miles ahead of this time the last two years - pulled calf muscle Dec 5, 2013 and still not running post November half marathon in 2014.

Tues - 5 mi @ 7:45 pace, having not ran in 10 days I started off a little too fast but wasn't too uncomfortable by the end and my pace didn't tail too much

Wed - sports doc appt, part deux + 100/100/50 push up's/lunges/squats

Thu - 5 1/2 mi @ 7:45 pace, much more consistent than Tuesday and this time I finished strong

Fri - 100/100/50 push up's/lunges/squats + burpees until failure

Sat - 6 trail mi @ 8:15 pace, like Thu I was consistent and finished strong

Sun - few miles hiking + 100/100/50 push up's/lunges/squats

Mon - 4 recovery miles + 100/100/50 push up's/lunges/squats

Tue - 5 mi @ 7:45 pace, started off slower than the others (stiff to start) but loosened up more than I thought I would so I finished faster and longer

Very stiff this morning, so taking it off but cautiously optimistic I can get another 6-7 day run started tomorrow.

FUBAR said:
I really need to do hills more often. It's been over a month since I did the "mountain" (not much of a mountain really, Strava lists it at 572') so I decided to test myself on it this morning. It's about 1.7 miles, previous best was 17 minutes (which wasn't really pushing it hard but still my best out of 5), got it at roughly 15:30 for a 9 minute clip. Really feel like I should be faster but I wasn't able to push harder.
Pretty big hill for around here. I don't think that pace is bad at all!

----

On my end, cold dark December rides are the norm. Started getting pretty darn cold at the end. Not my best ride, but it was decent and still pretty fun. Being in a paceline at 30mph in the dead of night is an experience.

Really bad forecast for my half on Saturday. 68 degrees with dew points similar, meaning SI of around 130+. 50% chance of rain. I am thinking I might need to just run it as a hard training run and try to keep my competitive side in check. I won't get an accurate time to use to evaluate my pace for the marathon (unless it has similar weather). I wilt in heat like old lettuce.

Users who are viewing this thread