Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Ned

Run 3 of my "comeback" is in the books and unfortunately was disheartening.  I got my splits in, but i was much slower than anticipated, and it was not fun (why the hell does everyone run again?!).  Here's what I did:

• .5 @ 8.52
  • .25 @6:44
  • .25 @ 8:47
  • .25 @ 6:43
  • .25 @ 8:51
  • .25 @ 6:44
  • .5 @ 8:59

= 2.25 in 18:21

I had hoped to be sub 6:30 for my quarter repeats.  Really sad knowing that 6:30 used to be 10k pace, and it felt like I was working my ### off just to do it for .25.  This is going to hurt the ego for awhile.

• Like 2

Had my first good run in a couple of weeks this morning. Been suffering from dead legs and every run felt like a slog. This morning (I took yesterday off), my feel felt light from the start and my pace was a lot better at the same effort. These are the days that make me want to keep with it. 

And I didn't end the run with an immediate, sweaty trip to the first floor bathroom!

• Like 5

Back from vacation and getting my running legs back.  Thinking about a 10k in Clearwater for September.  I am trying to get my distance up in order to run a 15k and 8k in February (Saturday and Sunday).  Hooters to Hooters sounds like a fun run.  Still need an August 5k, but will probably walk one if I can convince Mrs. Osaurus to do it with me. See what I can do besides regular evening runs and gym time.

9 hours ago, pigskinliquors said:

Run 3 of my "comeback" is in the books and unfortunately was disheartening.  I got my splits in, but i was much slower than anticipated, and it was not fun (why the hell does everyone run again?!).  Here's what I did:

• .5 @ 8.52
  • .25 @6:44
  • .25 @ 8:47
  • .25 @ 6:43
  • .25 @ 8:51
  • .25 @ 6:44
  • .5 @ 8:59

= 2.25 in 18:21

I had hoped to be sub 6:30 for my quarter repeats.  Really sad knowing that 6:30 used to be 10k pace, and it felt like I was working my ### off just to do it for .25.  This is going to hurt the ego for awhile.

Patience, GB.  

Intervals seems like the last thing I'd want to be doing while trying to come back from a long layoff.  Be careful out there!

2 hours ago, Ned said:

Patience, GB.  

Intervals seems like the last thing I'd want to be doing while trying to come back from a long layoff.  Be careful out there!

Since I don't think I'll ever be able to put in mileage again, I'm thinking speed work is my best way to go.  I'm winging this, but I'm thinking trying to get to three'ish runs a week: 1 slow, negative splits; 1 tempo (constant speed) and 1 speed run (intervals).  My short term goal is to get my quarter mile intervals (x4) under 6:00 pace (1:30 per); but my legs have no desire to turn over that quickly right now.  I likely need to do some shorter intervals to help retrain my legs.  

• Like 1

Threw my name in the BAA half lottery on Wed last minute after learning a group of friends is running it for charity. Did not want to fundraise again, which guarantees entry. Just found out I got in which is great but it's a week before the full I had planned on running, but hadn't yet registered for. So I need to rethink what my plan is. Might consider a Nov marathon instead (philly?) or just hold off on that until spring to continue building fitness over the winter and a better shot at BQ. 

• Like 2

Thoughts on the Forerunner 220? A friend just ended up with two watches and is looking to unload his 220 for $125. Never used.

Ideally, I would get something like the TomTom Spark with HRM in the watch and ability to play music, but I'm not willing to fork out the $250. 

And if I get a watch like this, is my phone my only way to get music with me on the run, or is there another less cumbersome way to rock some downloaded tunes or spotify?

Been slowly getting my legs back under me, but noticed my running motion has changed. I seem to feel myself striding outward/wider with more lateral movement that's wasting energy with inward force on my stride. I'm assuming this is me unwittingly compensating for my recovering right hamstring? I also feel like I'm running along the inside of my foot moreso than I used to? Any ideas? 

I'm trying to focus more on more linear striding motion by using arms (less crossing motion and more fore/aft) and trying to focus on bringing my knees up and forward a bit more directly... 

Odd.

Edited by [icon]
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Threw my name in the BAA half lottery on Wed last minute after learning a group of friends is running it for charity. Did not want to fundraise again, which guarantees entry. Just found out I got in which is great but it's a week before the full I had planned on running, but hadn't yet registered for. So I need to rethink what my plan is. Might consider a Nov marathon instead (philly?) or just hold off on that until spring to continue building fitness over the winter and a better shot at BQ. 

@comfortably numb, @pbm107 (I think?!), and I will be at Philly.... CN and I are running the half, I think pbm is on for the full.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the HM was moved to Saturday so me and CN wouldn't be there on Sunday for the full. :sadbanana:  I don't like that they split it up - makes you feel like the HM is second rate.

Edited by Ned

54 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Not knowing what your exact plans were I doubt there's much down side to a November full.  December is generally a reset/maintenance month, so probably best to do that on the heels of a full when you need to recover anyway and you'd still have 6'ish months between marathon's.  Don't know the course, but if you're worried about doing a half too close to a full in Spring a quick skim of the Boston Marathon Qualifier list shows Providence on 5/7.  You'd need to juggle around your end of peak training schedule a little, but that'd give you almost 3 weeks between races.

@pigskinliquors Please keep us updated on how beer mile training is going.  I won a free entry to one 3 weeks after my Fall marathon.  For s's and g's a few of us have kicked around the idea of doing some training runs during a couple of bachelor party weekends coming up, but I doubt I'll do more than that so I would love to steal my plan from someone else.  Good tip from @tri-man 47 though, temperature is going to be important, especially because we have to use something > 5% alcohol.  I'm probably going with 4 of these - https://lisakadane.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/fat-tire-and-glass.jpg.

15 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Not knowing what your exact plans were I doubt there's much down side to a November full.  December is generally a reset/maintenance month, so probably best to do that on the heels of a full when you need to recover anyway and you'd still have 6'ish months between marathon's.  Don't know the course, but if you're worried about doing a half too close to a full in Spring a quick skim of the Boston Marathon Qualifier list shows Providence on 5/7.  You'd need to juggle around your end of peak training schedule a little, but that'd give you almost 3 weeks between races.

My post was confusing...BAA half is October 9, had been thinking of doing Bay State full on 10/16. Now mulling alternative full options, maybe Philly or waiting until spring. I could also stick to the 10/16 full and skip the half. Good thing about Bay State is it won't fill up, so I can see how August goes and decide if BQ is possible. 

Anyone know if Philly typically fills up? Reg doesn't close on that until Nov 1, so maybe I don't have to rush to register there either. 

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

My post was confusing...BAA half is October 9, had been thinking of doing Bay State full on 10/16. Now mulling alternative full options, maybe Philly or waiting until spring. I could also stick to the 10/16 full and skip the half. Good thing about Bay State is it won't fill up, so I can see how August goes and decide if BQ is possible. 

Anyone know if Philly typically fills up? Reg doesn't close on that until Nov 1, so maybe I don't have to rush to register there either. 

Pretty sure it always fills, but not until Octoberish, IIRC.  It's still my favorite race to run - the atmosphere is phenomenal.  

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I am running Philly and it does eventually fill up, probably around Oct like Ned mentioned.  I definitely prefer to race a Fall marathon rather than a Spring, and the weather conditions in Philly are usually pretty good in Nov.  You should signup, it is a good course for you to crush your PR.

1 minute ago, tri-man 47 said:

@pigskinliquors and @[icon], for both of you, running some repeats up a slope/hill could help.  PSL ...harder effort for the short distance. Icon ...the hill should force a more efficient, straight stride.

:thumbup: thanks sir... will work on that this weekend. Very strange.

21 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

Sitting at a brewery in Silverton having some pizza and IPA, and found a plug to charge up the laptop.  The start of my trip to the mountains has been even better than I expected. 

I'll be at the start tomorrow at 6:00 AM, and trying now to figure out my plan for the rest of the day.  I'll probably jump to a few aid stations to watch the race unfold, and I'm considering doing the last few miles of the course while the markers are up (and before Kilian gets there).  The winner should finish between 23-24 hours (only three times has sub-24 happened, with Kilian twice doing it twice),and I'd like to be there for that.  And of course the last hour or two before the 48 hour cutoff, as that's where the real magic is witnessed.  After the race ends on Sunday morning, I have a few more days to explore up here before having to be back in the Bay by end of day Friday.  If the start of the trip is any indicator, it should be epic!

I've spent a good bit of time Jeeping in Silverton/Ouray and will agree it is flat out spectacular country. I couldn't imagine both the scenery while running, but also the stamina required to run those grades at that altitude. So awesome.... :thumbup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

@pigskinliquors and @[icon], for both of you, running some repeats up a slope/hill could help.  PSL ...harder effort for the short distance. Icon ...the hill should force a more efficient, straight stride.

Thanks my friend.  I used to be able to run to the hill I like to do repeats on as part of the workout.  Right now that would be a full workout in and of itself.  Maybe I can Uber back.  :kicksrock:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ned said:

@comfortably numb, @pbm107 (I think?!), and I will be at Philly.... CN and I are running the half, I think pbm is on for the full.

ETA: Now that I think about it, the HM was moved to Saturday so me and CN wouldn't be there on Sunday for the full. :sadbanana:  I don't like that they split it up - makes you feel like the HM is second rate.

Got my hotel room ready!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [icon] said:

I've spent a good bit of time Jeeping in Silverton/Ouray and will agree it is flat out spectacular country. I couldn't imagine both the scenery while running, but also the stamina required to run those grades at that altitude. So awesome.... :thumbup:

So sick. I was at the start this morning, drove to Telluride aid station (mile 28) and watched the top 15 or so come through, then on to Ouray (44) for the top 20-25. There, I ran up the trail a bit waiting for Timmy Olson, and quite frankly became even more convinced this race might not be for me. I can train for the climbs, I can acclimate to altitude - but trails carved into the sides of a cliff with ropes on both sides because of a several hundred foot drop off might be too much for me. Hell, the road between Silverton and Ouray scared me!

Now camping next to a creek, ready to catch a few zzzzs before heading to the finish to catch the winners come in, which should be sometime between 5-6 AM. I'll hang out there for a bit, maybe take a nap, then plan to get some miles in during the day before hitting the hay and then getting back for the final hour or two before the 48 hour cutoff on Sunday AM. 

• Like 3

On 7/18/2015 at 8:57 AM, FUBAR said:

54:53 total

don't know the swim - must have been sub 8

24:30 bike (22mph)

21:25 run (so barely sub 7) mostly gravel trail. I wasn't breaking 20 today.

12 / 169 overall, 2 / 14 AG

This year:

54:04 total

22:56 bike (23.3mph)

20:50 run (6:52 pace)

6th overall, 1st AG (happy to not be 40 yet, that guy went around 48 :shock:)

I think my swim was as good or better than last year but my transition wasn't as good, had some difficulty with the running shoes and sticky, sweaty feet.

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 8

I made it back to Silverton at about 4:30 AM this morning in time to watch Kilian and Jason Schlarb come in together, co-winners.  They had been running together for almost the entire time, and Kilian apparently brought it up about 10 miles out that they should finish together.  Anna Frost repeated as first woman, total bad ###.  Runners continue to trickle in now at just over 38 hours in, with 12 hours to go and probably about 90-100 still out there.  Insane.  I'm watching these people I'll never meet finish this race, and I'll be damned if I don't get something in my eye and tear up every time.

After watching the leaders come in I headed out to do a quick hike up and run back down the trail to Ice Lake just outside town.  It started at 9,848' and climbed steadily up to over 12,000' at Ice Lake, a total of just over 8 miles in 3 1/2 hours - yes, slow going up here, even slower than I usually am!  Unbelievable mountains and scenery.

From lake level

Hiked up a bit further to get a different angle

The creek leading away from the lake toward a waterfall

Pictures don't even do justice.  I've been taking a bunch of GoPro video too, hopefully I can make something out of that when I get home.  But I have at least 4 more days up here before I have to worry about heading back towards The Bay.  Trip of a lifetime already, and I'm not quite half way through!

Edited by SFBayDuck
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, beer 30 said:

An ultra groupie

Totally, no shame!  I've had good conversations with Jeff Browning (4th place here, 3rd at States), Jim Walmsley (crushing the CR at States until he went off course), and Jason Koop (literally wrote the book on coaching for ultras), and have talked at least briefly to Timmy Olson, Bryon Powell (iRunFar), Schlarb, Anna, Billy Yang (movie maker), and a bunch of others.  

Although I did have one moment that didn't feel great - I was running to get something from my car at the Ouray aid station and ran by Dakota Jones, who was hanging out and crewing (for Anna).  I suddenly felt like I was trying to figure out how to play chopsticks on the piano in front of Beethoven, and just stopped running and walked the rest of the way.

• Like 3

Well, yesterday's quarter marathon was downright torture.  @pbm107 described it best - that race was all about self preservation.  I've always felt the 10K is the hardest distance to run - making this 6.55 just made it even worse. :X  

I drove up to his house at 6am; it's right on the course and only 1.5mi from the start, which was pretty sweet.  We ran a warm-up to the start and I felt pretty good.  It was warm out, but not bad.  pbm warned me that this was going to be a tough course - couple it with the warm conditions and I was pretty nervous.  We lined up a row back from the front and away we went.

I wanted to hit the first mile around 6:30 - don't push the pace early on and just get settled.  I noticed right away that I was working a little to stay on pace, even when we hit downhills.  Warning sign #1.  At around 1.5 we made a turn into the woods onto some mulched trail.  I lost focus and was pressing way too hard running through all of the twisting turns.  I dropped both guys I was running with easily here, which made me realize what I was doing...Then I noticed how tired I was feeling already - so I slowed it down some.  I look down and see my HR is 189.  Ooops, warning sign #2.

By mile 3 I was in 'just don't die' mode and don't really remember a whole lot other than seeing pbm's wife and kids at the end of their driveway cheering us on at miles 3+ and 5+.  I was feeling pretty sorry for myself - I feel forking miserable - I'm struggling to keep MP - I feel like I'm in quick sand.  :bag:  I remember getting passed by a few people as we rounded our way through town - most notably 2 18yr old girls that were running together.  They were quite the distraction from the misery. :yes: 

As we rounded through mile 5, I knew we were finally heading back towards the start/finish area.  Somewhere in this mile was a short but kind of steep hill that was a friggin kick in the face.  Another chick passes me up that hill - ugh.  Then some really hairy dude goes lumbering by me - I didn't even care. :sadbanana:  Somewhere at the end of mile 6 we turned into some soccer fields.  Just the grass alone was enough to suck the soul out of you at that point.  Then we were back into the woods for the same (I think?) mulched trails.  There's something about me and those trails that gets me going.  I noticed the hairy dude was fading - can I re-pass him?  

We got back onto the road - just another quarter mile or so to go.  I see hairy guy really struggling up the hill, so I tried to reel him in.  Holy crap, I caught him.  I noticed one of the 2 18yr old girls that passed me earlier was up ahead.  I didn't want to just mail it in and let some girl half my age finish just ahead of me so I picked it up.  Luckily it was a nice downhill finish and I somehow found a kick deep down inside and caught her.  Ended up running 44:19 (6:46 pace) and 181 avg HR.  After I got home and looked at the results, I noticed that the hairy guy I passed at the end was what gave me the pie.  Sweet!

Post race was a bit scary.  I was sweating buckets - leaving puddles and foot prints wherever we stood.  I was light headed and tired, but OK considering.  As we stood in the shade killing time before the awards, I suddenly got really light headed whenever I tried to talk.  A few scary moments of thinking I'm going to pass out kind of freaked me out.  I felt better walking than standing for some reason, so a few trips to the water table did the trick.  Crazy.

Long story short, after all that drama I won a pie!  On our walk back to pbm's house we were lamenting on just how bad that sucked.  But you know what?  We out-suffered the 50+ guys in our age group.  We did something right.  I ended up 3/55 in AG and 21/449 OA.  Going home with an apple pie was pretty sweet.  

Then as I downloaded the data I saw something that still has me completely shocked.  I set a new max HR of 197.  I haven't sniffed my old max of 196 in a few years.  I figured my max was fading with age, especially given how my HR averages have been going down on my workouts recently. I guess not.  :shock:

Pretty sure we lost some GPS distance zigging and zagging through the mulch trails; Strava data - https://www.strava.com/activities/642953091/overview

Edited by Ned
  • Like 11

On 7/16/2016 at 9:47 AM, FUBAR said:

This year:

54:04 total

22:56 bike (23.3mph)

20:50 run (6:52 pace)

6th overall, 1st AG (happy to not be 40 yet, that guy went around 48 :shock:)

I think my swim was as good or better than last year but my transition wasn't as good, had some difficulty with the running shoes and sticky, sweaty feet.

Congrats!!  

Dude - pretty damn awesome you improved your running time even though you haven't been running much lately.  Were the conditions better this year?  That's also a pretty big jump in your bike, right?

15 minutes ago, Ned said:

Congrats!!  

Dude - pretty damn awesome you improved your running time even though you haven't been running much lately.  Were the conditions better this year?  That's also a pretty big jump in your bike, right?

thanks.  If memory serves, it was a bit warmer last year.  Yesterday was around 80/75 (155 SI) - humid as all get out, but manageable. 

I'm not sure how big a jump it is on the bike, it's certainly the fastest I've gone in a race, but I've only done a few sprints now (this one, last year's and one back in 1996).  I'm happy with the race overall and especially the ride.  I went into this with the plan to attack the ride and just see what I have left for the run.  I guess it worked.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FUBAR said:

thanks.  If memory serves, it was a bit warmer last year.  Yesterday was around 80/75 (155 SI) - humid as all get out, but manageable. 

That is nuts, it was in the mid 140s in our race and I wanted to dropout a mile in.

@Ned's race went similar to mine.  I ran the first mile around 6:10 and suffered the rest of the race.  I had no fight in me the entire time, and it was disappointing that a guy I beat by 10 sec last year beat me by a minute.  It was really cool that Ned drove all the way up to run it, and the best part of the day was hanging out at the bar after.  

• Like 10

Ned: Way to fight through a tough one + you got some pie!  It's really tough to get free pie.

Fubar: Awesome race!  It's rare to have all three go well.  What happened in the transition, and what are you riding?

Duck: so :jealous:  The pictures are breath taking, and it had to be inspirational as hell to see the race. 

For Me: Did a 3 mile run last night (about as far as I'll run) with 8:25, 8:07 & 7:56 splits.  Legs felt really good.  I'll start wearing a HR strap to know how hard I'm pushing this week.  More importantly we just rescued a puppy.  Maybe the only thing better than pie.  My older dog hasn't enjoyed running in awhile, which has made it easier for me to avoid it.  Hopefully our new little girl will be a runner.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ned said:

This coming weekend looks scary.

My wife is out of town, so I'm on kid duty.  Friend of mine is going to stop over Saturday afternoon and give me a break, so I can get one workout in this weekend...when it's supposed to be 99 degrees :lol:.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do today, tomorrow, and Wednesday but I'm going to push it more than I planned.  Friday morning is my long run before she skips town, but I'll probably double back to the neighborhood after 10 miles or so to make it easy to bail out if the heat gets to me.  Forecasted low is 75, so I'm sure it will be well into the 80's when I get towards the end of that run.

So it wasn't a 60 mile week, but given the high note I finished on that's fine by me.

Monday - 5 recovery miles + C25K

Tuesday - Strength training + 5 trail miles in 90+ degree heat, never thought I'd need the hand held for one of these but it was tapped out with still more than a mile left!

Wednesday - 13 MLR @ 7:36, ran well but I was a disgusting mess upon completion.  I looked like I just jumped in a pool and it took my shoes more than a day to dry.

Thursday - 5 recovery miles, skipped strength training, not recovered from prior day.

Friday - A workout I should have amended, just 4 miles but they were hybrid ones (100 push up's + 200 lunges along the way w/15 mins at the gym too).  I justified it because I skipped strength training the day before, I planned on 20 miles Saturday, and I was wary I'd bail on strength training Sunday.

Saturday - Bailed on the 20.  Slept in, then did C25K + a total of 5 recovery miles on the easier trails in between appointments.  Was pissed at myself for forcing the strength training the day before, but I think forcing the long run would have just caused more problems later...

Sunday - ...and as a result I did my 20 the next day @ 7:43 and it never felt difficult.  The end was, but only because I picked up the pace.  With hind sight I should have done my mid-week run on Tuesday as it led to some adjustments to the schedule and a couple of bad decisions, but in the end I nailed the most important workout of the week.

Weekly total - 57 miles, another new high and this made 5 of 6 weeks with elevation > 1,700'.  Almost got to 8 hours of running too, although I guess if you include C25K it was close to 9 hours.

Very happy with where I am right now.  I didn't want to push it so early this week, but given what's coming up (and I feel real good right now) I'm going to then take it easy during the Suckfest that will be this weekend.  Not sure exactly what I'm going to do but there will be some LT and hills w/some sort of MLR to finish off this 2 1/2 week cycle Friday morning.

• Like 8