What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

FUBAR said:
:kicksrock:

I had planned to go downtown tonight, catch a concert in the pavilion and people watch, but I'm burned out.  Two trail jogs which were about half hike half jog on the Appalachian trail. :wub:   Pics

Afterwards is a lot like after sex. :yawn: :D
Now that is some scenery.  Good stuff.

FUBAR said:
:kicksrock:

I had planned to go downtown tonight, catch a concert in the pavilion and people watch, but I'm burned out.  Two trail jogs which were about half hike half jog on the Appalachian trail. :wub:   Pics

Afterwards is a lot like after sex. :yawn: :D
Nice nips......errrr..........pics.

Some of those KOMs on strava are unbelievable.  I busted my ### in fartleks today, with two top 10 (1st for 2016) 3+ mile loops at 23+mph.  But the top all time are 29mph :eek:   

Anyone here near Wausau, WI? Gonna be there starting Wednesday this week, and will be going out for a 12-14 miler Thursday morning before I abuse myself with beer, food, and muskie fishing for three days. If anyone is close I could drive and run early in the AM.

Gonna write a Colorado report here later once I organize pics. Got in 23 miles, which isn't much, but had some great family time.

Some of those KOMs on strava are unbelievable.  I busted my ### in fartleks today, with two top 10 (1st for 2016) 3+ mile loops at 23+mph.  But the top all time are 29mph :eek:   
There are a couple guys up there who are ridiculous.  Mike Olheiser from there has won the national time trial a couple of times.  I think he finished 5th this year (at 42).

Wrapped up a great month of training for me with a 20 miler on Saturday.  With almost two weeks spent at altitude with a lot of climbing/hiking thrown in it was one of my slowest months ever, but I set PRs in all three things I really care about:

208 miles

50:45:00 time on feet

32,838' of elevation gain

And to cap it all off, this morning I officially moved off of the wait list and onto the entrants list for Cascade Crest 100!  Let's do this.   :boxing:

Wrapped up a great month of training for me with a 20 miler on Saturday.  With almost two weeks spent at altitude with a lot of climbing/hiking thrown in it was one of my slowest months ever, but I set PRs in all three things I really care about:

208 miles

50:45:00 time on feet

32,838' of elevation gain

And to cap it all off, this morning I officially moved off of the wait list and onto the entrants list for Cascade Crest 100!  Let's do this.   :boxing:
Awesome month Duck, that is a lot of time on your feet, you crushed my PR by over 5 hours.  It takes me over 6 months of training to reach your elevation for the month.

It looks like you’re 4 weeks out from your race, what is your taper plan?

The ridiculous times the speed guys put up in here sometimes overshadow what Duck does but damn man nobody works harder. That's a ridiculous month. You play a completely different game than everyone else and there's a reason for that. It's ####### hard.  :thumbup:

I expected a challenging week, and it was, but it didn't go anywhere near planned.

Monday - 6 miles (6:57) w/4 LT (6:24).  I wanted to do 7/5, but work and poor planning screwed up my fueling so I cut it off a mile early again (same workout, heat got to me last week) rather than push beyond the comfort zone.

Tuesday - 6 miles @ 8:22, felt real good to start and actually had to consciously slow myself down (8:13-8:05) but oddly fatigued very quickly (8:30-8:39-8:28-8:16).

Wednesday - Woke up at 5 am ready to MLR, but my stomach was an absolute mess.  I brewed some coffee and ate a half everything bagel w/almond butter then did some reading in hopes the problem would work itself out.  I gave up a little after 6 and went back to bed.  I ended up doing 6 miles @ 7:43 over lunch.  Stomach was still unhappy, especially during the strides, but my legs felt great.  Overall, very discouraging day because I'd have nailed today's run if my stomach were behaving.

Thursday - Ok, I really did come down with something.  Totally skipping strength training this week and just accumulating miles while getting as much sleep as possible.  6 miles @ 8:19.  I thought I went slower, so seeing that time was the lone pleasant moment of this misery.

Friday - Alright, starting to feel better.  (looks outside) First real rain we've gotten in weeks and everything is flooded.  Oh well, miles won't run themselves.  Intermittent down pours throughout the run and my shorts became so water logged I had to run the last 2+ miles holding onto the drawstring so they didn't end up around my ankles.  6 miles @ 7:50.  Definitely didn't go into this week planning on 6 mile runs each day, but...here we are.

Saturday - It has been anything but a smooth week, but I'm going to nail this run and it will all be worth it.  (looks at phone) Why is my battery at 25%?  (puts phone on different charger) I wasn't planning on eating anything this morning, but if I need to wait for some battery I may as well.  (checks phone again 30-45 minutes later) Battery is now at 16%.  #### this ####.  (grabs wife's phone, takes off) All I knew when I took off was I wanted some MP miles.  I also knew my heart rate was probably a little elevated due to the phone problems in the morning and my whole plan for the week being ripped up, so I wanted to hold off on pushing it for a while.

First 4 miles - net 7:40 pace and getting faster.  Screw holding off, just go then pull the plug once it starts to get uncomfortable.

8 miles later - net 7:05. :pickle:   I probably could have done a couple more, but I was satisfied for my first real long run w/MP miles.

Last 6 miles - net 7:35, legs were fatiguing but it never felt too difficult.  

Sunday - Thesis for the week.  Nothing went right all day, so I ended up having to punt my run until after the kids went to bed.  To put a feather in the cap, the 8 month old yacked all over our bed literally the moment my wife came into the room to take him so I could go run.  At that point, all we could do was laugh.  8 miles @ 8:13.  Wanted to do more (4 more miles to a 60 mile week), but it was almost 10 o clock.  As I thought about my week during mile 7 I realized that while I did not meet my goals for the week given all that happened, this was an ok result.  Time to move onto next week (month).

56 miles for the week...238 miles for the month, besting last month's new high of 212.  It looks like I maintained my pace for the month around 8:07 despite the increased miles, so after all the issues of the last 10-12 days overall I still came out ahead of where I started.  Now time to make August a better month...

Awesome month Duck, that is a lot of time on your feet, you crushed my PR by over 5 hours.  It takes me over 6 months of training to reach your elevation for the month.

It looks like you’re 4 weeks out from your race, what is your taper plan?
Thanks.  I really was pushing elevation all month, obviously when I was up in the mountains and had no choice but also when I got back - I went up and down my little 1,500' Mt. Burdell six times in the two+ weeks I was in town.

Yup, four weeks.  Ideally I'd be taking a down week this week as I've peaked at 50 or so miles the past three weeks, and then get in one more big week next week and go into a two week taper.  But I'll be on vacation with the family next week (Sunday-Friday), so that's forcing me to alter things a bit.  So I'll push what I can the next 5 days, focus on family for 6 days and get in a couple short ones, and then do one more long effort (4-5 hours) the following weekend when I'm back home.  I'll then just ramp down volume those last two weeks - 30-35 miles and then just two or three 4-5 mile runs the week of the race.  The only "workouts" I'll do is to get in two more hard downhill efforts, with the second one happening about 12 days out from race day.

The average temperature for that day in the area is 78 degrees with a record high of 95, although last year they experienced the worst summer monsoon in that area in recorded history during the race.  So I'll probably also do some heat acclimation just in case it is warm - daily 20-30 minutes sauna sessions and a couple of mid-day runs from the 14th-22nd.

Heat really got to me last week...

M: 5 recovery @ 9:07/134.  Sunny and 163 SI.  Friggin' ridiculous out there.   :hangover:
T: 8 MLR @ 8:00/139.  Great numbers considering the high humidity.
W: 12 MLR @ 8:03/142.  That was a grind, but numbers are good at least.
T: 5 recovery @ 8:56/133.  OK that was pretty good considering the 160 SI.
F: 8 junk @ 8:01/154.  Its amazing how stress can affect your body.  I was pretty frustrated with work and set out on a late AM run in the heat.  I was miserable.  Decided on a whim to go re-take a Strava segment CR that someone took from me last week.  Ran the 1.3 mi section in 8:21 (6:14/183).  I missed the CR by 1 second. :doh:  
S: 5 recovery @ 9:06/128.  Very relaxing.  

Then we all went on a bike ride with my 90yr old grandfather (he's a lifetime cyclist and will probably want to be buried with one of his bikes).  We rode 7mi and enjoyed our time with him.  There was one set of hills where we all knew he'd get off and walk the bike up; hell I was getting winded at the top.  To our surprise, he soldiered up that hill like a champ.  Watching him at the top of the hill with that stiff upper lip grinding away was so inspirational.  Then that turkey never stopped for a break - he shifted gears and left us all sitting there with our jaws on the ground.  He's my one true idol in my life. :tebow:   He asks me about Boston every time I talk to him (he's born and raised Boston).  Seeing the intensity in his face when he talks about me qualifying makes me melt.  

S: 15 MLR @ 8:18/142.  I was tired the moment I stepped off the driveway.  The humidity really got to me.  One of those 'just get it over with' runs.  I was totally soaked through my shorts by mile 6. :X  

58mi for the week.  

Now it's time to really get to work.  18 weeks from today I'll be punching my ticket to Boston.

I'm officially on the DL. Left IT band started barking last week, got really bad post run on Friday to the point where the pain was waking me up at night over the weekend. Took a couple of days off and tested it today with an easy 5 and its ####### killing me now. No choice but to shut it down for at least a week. I went through this last year with the right one and rest, ice, stretching and rolling got it sorted. I don't remember it throbbing when I'm just sitting around like this one does though.

I've pretty much decided to bag the fall marathon plan and train for an October HM once I get back. I was also going to take a shot at a sub 20 5k this Saturday but that will have to wait. Not the end of the world, I've been struggling a bit with motivation lately so maybe the timing is right for a break. 

56 miles for the week...238 miles for the month, besting last month's new high of 212.  It looks like I maintained my pace for the month around 8:07 despite the increased miles, so after all the issues of the last 10-12 days overall I still came out ahead of where I started.  Now time to make August a better month...
:thumbup:   damn that's impressive.

I'll do my monthly report later, I might hit your mileage (riding).

No choice but to shut it down for at least a week. 
Tough break, but I think you are doing the right thing by shutting it down.  I don't think it is ever a good idea to be running in pain, except for during the first mile while loosening up.

I notice that I have IT band issues after sitting for a while.

I don't think it is ever a good idea to be running in pain, except for during the first mile while loosening up.
:goodposting:

Unless you know you're injured get out and do the first mile. Sometimes there is an issue, but usually you just need to knock some junk out.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting:

Unless you know you're injured get out and do the first mile. Sometimes there is an issue, but usually you just need to knock some junk out.
The first mile really does suck, doesn't it?  I usually have to stop and stretch my calves (again) right around then. During a 50K I ran last year I did that, and I heard another runner pass by me and say "that's not good."  But it's normal for me....and I watched that guy come in to the finish 45 minutes after I did!

June:

B: 13x / 22 hrs /  434.2 miles

R: 14x / 10 hrs /  68.7 miles 

S: 8x / 8.5 hrs / 23,050 yards 

ST: 12x

YTD:

B: 60x / 86 hrs / 1713.3 miles

R: 99x / 92hrs / 652.5 mi miles

S: 48x / 39 hrs /  130,300 yds

ST: 36x
July:

B: 11x / 18hrs /  345 miles

R: 19x  / 14.5 hrs /  90.5 miles 

S: 8x / 6.5 hrs / 17,000 yards 

ST: 7x

YTD:

B: 71x / 104 hrs / 2058 miles

R: 118x / 106.5hrs / 743 miles

S: 56x /  45.5 hrs /  147,300 yds

ST: 43x

July saw an uptick in running but I'll need to add more in august, less riding and swimming which was the plan.  I'm still averaging about 12 hours per week (with strength training) which is about what I can do right now.  

August will probably see a drop across the board.   I'll be heading up to Michigan to help my parents when dad has surgery on his neck which will mean less riding and swimming that week  (probably less running too but I hope to get out some) and with my target Olympic tri at the end of the month I'll taper some.  

I'm officially on the DL. Left IT band started barking last week, got really bad post run on Friday to the point where the pain was waking me up at night over the weekend. Took a couple of days off and tested it today with an easy 5 and its ####### killing me now. No choice but to shut it down for at least a week. I went through this last year with the right one and rest, ice, stretching and rolling got it sorted. I don't remember it throbbing when I'm just sitting around like this one does though.

I've pretty much decided to bag the fall marathon plan and train for an October HM once I get back. I was also going to take a shot at a sub 20 5k this Saturday but that will have to wait. Not the end of the world, I've been struggling a bit with motivation lately so maybe the timing is right for a break. 
:sadbanana:  Really hope you get it all figured out.

Have you gotten a massage lately?  My new found MT was talking to me about IT bands and was showing me some stuff with the roller to do up around the hips/lower back to help keep the whole thing loose.  She was actually against rolling just the band itself.

Blessing in disguise, my oldest's hour and a half long football practices (2x per week) start tomorrow.  Perfect timing for a MLR.  Looks like I can scrap the plan of waking up in the 4's once my wife starts working again to get that run in :pickle:  .  I won't be able to do anything in the 14-15 mile range, but I can work around that.

So I have a rough draft of my marathon plan. Anyone want to check it out?! Essentially, I didn't want to take out what seemed to be working in my pre-training. So I tried to alter the Pfitz 70 plan around it. I still want to strength train on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays so I sort of planned around those workouts. I tried to boil down Pfitz in what was probably the key workouts of the week. Long run, MLR and tempo. I'll do my MLR on Tuesdays, tempo on Thursdays and LR on Saturdays. At the beginning portion of the plan, I substituted the tempo work for hill training...later in the plan I alternate between hills and tempo. All the other days will be super easy and I'll incorporate strides into the easy days later in the plan. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I5iszJbJHb-O4A9iCViF_ZRC8zyy2ShnvLVe-e0lqmk/edit?usp=sharing

Thoughts?

So I have a rough draft of my marathon plan? Anyone want to check it out?! Essentially, I didn't want to take out what seemed to be working in my pre-training. So I tried to alter the Pfitz 70 plan around it. I still want to strength train on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays so I sort of planned around those workouts. I tried to boil down Pfitz in what was probably the key workouts of the week. Long run, MLR and tempo. I'll do my MLR on Tuesdays, tempo on Thursdays and LR on Saturdays. At the beginning portion of the plan, I substituted the tempo work for hill training...later in the plan I alternate between hills and tempo. All the other days will be super easy and I'll incorporate strides into the easy days later in the plan. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I5iszJbJHb-O4A9iCViF_ZRC8zyy2ShnvLVe-e0lqmk/edit?usp=sharing

Thoughts?
Only thing I see is the LT and MP work - only 2 each seems light.  I'd do more of both, IMO.  Otherwise, looks good!

Only thing I see is the LT and MP work - only 2 each seems light.  I'd do more of both, IMO.  Otherwise, looks good!
I supposed I could combine a hill day and an LT day. Like doing a generic hill setting on the treadmill and run it at LT effort. 

How many MP runs do you do? I think Pfitz 70/18 only has two called for but maybe that's because they want LR's to be progressive anyway. 

What do you think about doing MLR + Strength Training on the same day some weeks?  I've found that I benefit in future runs when I double them up and have an extra easy day during the week.  I don't always have the energy to effectively do it, but when I have that's what I've done.

Interested in thoughts on MP's.  I feel good about my LT plan going forward, but have been hemming and hawing about MP's.  The only one I have written in right now is the important one 3 weeks before race day.  There will be others in between, just not sure how many and when.

I supposed I could combine a hill day and an LT day. Like doing a generic hill setting on the treadmill and run it at LT effort. 

How many MP runs do you do? I think Pfitz 70/18 only has two called for but maybe that's because they want LR's to be progressive anyway. 
I modeled mine after the 18/85 and replaced some of the VO2max workouts with LT runs.  I'm not a big fan of all the VO2max work during marathon training, but do see the benefits.  I'm just very paranoid about getting hurt at that stage of training.  You're body is beat to #### by then...

8 LT runs, including today's
4 MP runs; considering adding a 5th

I have the book here on my desk - both the 70 & 85 plans have:

6 LT
4MP

What do you think about doing MLR + Strength Training on the same day some weeks?  I've found that I benefit in future runs when I double them up and have an extra easy day during the week.  I don't always have the energy to effectively do it, but when I have that's what I've done.

Interested in thoughts on MP's.  I feel good about my LT plan going forward, but have been hemming and hawing about MP's.  The only one I have written in right now is the important one 3 weeks before race day.  There will be others in between, just not sure how many and when.
If you can do long runs and strength training on the same day, more power too you. Personally, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me though.

I felt a bit burnout too often last marathon cycle and this time around, I'd like to focus a bit more on quality. I just don't think my workouts would be all that effective after a morning MLR where I sweat out 5-7lbs. I'd prefer to keep my 2-a-days around 45-60 minutes per workout. 

As you've probably seen on Strava, I've been trying to make a real effort towards doing core work 2x week.  Now I'm nowhere near what you and @Hang 10 are capable of doing, but I've been doing it on days where I've had a (running) workout scheduled.  The thinking being that I want to keep the days I have recovery runs saved as true recovery days.  I've been doing Yoga on recovery days, but I'm starting to rethink that now that I'm getting a little better at it and can do some harder stuff.

I think MP workouts are critical - at least for me, the MP effort is so awkward.  It's right in between really easy and getting close to being uncomfortable.  So the more I can work on those, the better, IMO.

If you can do long runs and strength training on the same day, more power too you. Personally, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me though.

I felt a bit burnout too often last marathon cycle and this time around, I'd like to focus a bit more on quality. I just don't think my workouts would be all that effective after a morning MLR where I sweat out 5-7lbs. I'd prefer to keep my 2-a-days around 45-60 minutes per workout. 
I've kept your comments last marathon training cycle in mind as I've built miles.  Others too, but specifically yours since you made the jump I'm trying to make now.  I get that we will all have walls no matter what we do, but I have to give an assist to you because (so far) most of my walls have been schedule or stomach based and not from dead legs.  I think what you went through last summer has helped me avoid similar issues.  Cheers :thumbup:

As you've probably seen on Strava, I've been trying to make a real effort towards doing core work 2x week.  Now I'm nowhere near what you and @Hang 10 are capable of doing, but I've been doing it on days where I've had a (running) workout scheduled.  The thinking being that I want to keep the days I have recovery runs saved as true recovery days.  I've been doing Yoga on recovery days, but I'm starting to rethink that now that I'm getting a little better at it and can do some harder stuff.

I think MP workouts are critical - at least for me, the MP effort is so awkward.  It's right in between really easy and getting close to being uncomfortable.  So the more I can work on those, the better, IMO.
I have no idea what you've been doing, but I'll admit a crooked smile hits my face every time I see swordkit.  Whatever that is.  Keep at it!

Would you say a reasonable goal would be to do MP's once/month?  I'm treating the 10 mile race Labor Day weekend as a LT and my last MP is 9/24, so I feel like I can do at least another MP between now and the race but I find myself wanting to fit in a 2nd.  Just not sure when.  And if it's a good idea.  Especially because the weekend of 9/10 isn't an option.

EDIT: Just saw your other post.  I'm going to try to do 2 between now and the Labor Day race - weekends of 8/13 and 8/27.  That'll give me 4 MP's total.  

I've kept your comments last marathon training cycle in mind as I've built miles.  Others too, but specifically yours since you made the jump I'm trying to make now.  I get that we will all have walls no matter what we do, but I have to give an assist to you because (so far) most of my walls have been schedule or stomach based and not from dead legs.  I think what you went through last summer has helped me avoid similar issues.  Cheers :thumbup:
Appreciate that.

It's definitely something I've struggled with the past couple years. How to "fit it all in"... But I have felt like I've I've learned a lot over the past year about works for me and what doesn't and it's cool to hear that has helped you. You are way a head of where I was last year and the only thing you need going forward is more of what you're doing and to stay healthy. You stay consistent and we all know you're going to have a great race. 

:sadbanana:  Really hope you get it all figured out.

Have you gotten a massage lately?  My new found MT was talking to me about IT bands and was showing me some stuff with the roller to do up around the hips/lower back to help keep the whole thing loose.  She was actually against rolling just the band itself.
Have not had a massage in a long time. During a run a couple days before the IT really started hurting all of the muscles in my lower back suddenly tightened up and spasmed, took my breath away. No doubt it's all related. Shame on me as I've gotten away from rolling and stretching after runs since the marathon. Always in too much of a hurry. Need to stay on top of it even when I'm feeling good.

Should not have run yesterday, totally crippled today. 

Have not had a massage in a long time. During a run a couple days before the IT really started hurting all of the muscles in my lower back suddenly tightened up and spasmed, took my breath away. No doubt it's all related. Shame on me as I've gotten away from rolling and stretching after runs since the marathon. Always in too much of a hurry. Need to stay on top of it even when I'm feeling good.

Should not have run yesterday, totally crippled today. 
You own an exercise band? Basically just one of those latex rubber bands and that you can put around your knees. If not, it get one. Start doing clam shells and other glute specific exercises to make sure all cylinders are firing. Most the time IT band issues develop from weak glutes or hips. Correct the imbalance and you'll IT band will come around.

Also, if you don't have a stretching routine, get one. 

You own an exercise band? Basically just one of those latex rubber bands and that you can put around your knees. If not, it get one. Start doing clam shells and other glute specific exercises to make sure all cylinders are firing. Most the time IT band issues develop from weak glutes or hips. Correct the imbalance and you'll IT band will come around.

I have a few bands of various tensions I got from PT last time around and they helped. Will dust them off. And I did have a stretching routine but like an idiot got away from it when times were good...

I have no idea what you've been doing, but I'll admit a crooked smile hits my face every time I see swordkit.  Whatever that is.  Keep at it!

Would you say a reasonable goal would be to do MP's once/month?  I'm treating the 10 mile race Labor Day weekend as a LT and my last MP is 9/24, so I feel like I can do at least another MP between now and the race but I find myself wanting to fit in a 2nd.  Just not sure when.  And if it's a good idea.  Especially because the weekend of 9/10 isn't an option.

EDIT: Just saw your other post.  I'm going to try to do 2 between now and the Labor Day race - weekends of 8/13 and 8/27.  That'll give me 4 MP's total.  
Sworkit is just an exercise app that gives you a visual on how to do the exercise and cues on when to move on to the next exercise (30sec each).  It's a seemingly random mix of burpees, planks, and various ab exercises like mason twists, V ups, etc.  I'm basically just experimenting while trying to do something/anything cross training wise.

I will say that I'm already reaping the rewards from Yoga.  My hips have historically been so tight I couldn't sit indian style on the floor (I used to get chewed out in boot camp for not following orders when told to sit on the floor :lol: ).  I'm now doing that routinely as part of my post-run cooldown. :excited: That's a small thing for most people, but huge for me.  I finish runs now and don't feel beat up at all for the most part.  Today's run in particular - I feel fan-fricken-tastic.  Like I didn't even run. 

I have a few bands of various tensions I got from PT last time around and they helped. Will dust them off. And I did have a stretching routine but like an idiot got away from it when times were good...
That's how I've fallen off the wagon too.  Sweet, I'm all fixed.  No need for this crap!  Rinse/repeat.... :(  

Give Yoga a shot.  There's a ton of 'yoga for runners' videos on Youtube...anything from 10mins to 60mins routines.  I've felt really stupid at times on some of the poses (happy baby is an absolutely ridiculous pose for a man to be in), but damn its really helping.

I like doing strength and run on the same day but my strength training lately has been squats, deadlifts, pullups, dips and leg lifts - about 20 minutes total.  Knock out the strength work and then run at MAF.  Today I made what seems like a mistake of running 7.5 MAF miles first, then hitting ST.  That sucked - legs were already feeling the run and I didn't go as heavy as I'd like to because I was focused on form and not getting injured. I'll go back to lifting first.

That's how I've fallen off the wagon too.  Sweet, I'm all fixed.  No need for this crap!  Rinse/repeat.... :(  

Give Yoga a shot.  There's a ton of 'yoga for runners' videos on Youtube...anything from 10mins to 60mins routines.  I've felt really stupid at times on some of the poses (happy baby is an absolutely ridiculous pose for a man to be in), but damn its really helping.
Thanks for the reminder gents, I also need to get back into stretching, yoga and rolling.  It's so easy to forget to do those, yet so beneficial.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
So, apparently Usain Bolt has never run a full mile before.  

And also...

Robert Johnson, founder of running website LetsRun.com, chimed in with his opinion to The New Yorker, suggesting there would be no way Bolt would break the five-minute mark on a mile run.

“If that was the over/under, I’d mortgage my nonexistent house to try to bet up to six figures he was over that,” Johnson said.
I can't run a 5 minute mile either.  But, I'd guess many of us here could beat him in a 5K.  And, stretch that out (HM, FM, 100 miles?) and it would get even easier.  Just think.  You might be faster* than the faster person in the world.   

So, apparently Usain Bolt has never run a full mile before.  

And also...

Robert Johnson, founder of running website LetsRun.com, chimed in with his opinion to The New Yorker, suggesting there would be no way Bolt would break the five-minute mark on a mile run.

“If that was the over/under, I’d mortgage my nonexistent house to try to bet up to six figures he was over that,” Johnson said.
I can't run a 5 minute mile either.  But, I'd guess many of us here could beat him in a 5K.  And, stretch that out (HM, FM, 100 miles?) and it would get even easier.  Just think.  You might be faster* than the faster person in the world.   
Man how cool would it be to go out hard, daring him to keep pace. :lol:  

anyone ever run multiple 5k races on the same day?

there are two events on the same day coming up. one at 8 AM and the other at 10 AM (with beer!).  already registered for the 10 AM. debating the 8 AM, too :unsure:

anyone ever run multiple 5k races on the same day?

there are two events on the same day coming up. one at 8 AM and the other at 10 AM (with beer!).  already registered for the 10 AM. debating the 8 AM, too :unsure:
It's like a team relay event where you run a couple of legs (or a few) in a short span. :shrug: You can recover enough to run the second.  

Users who are viewing this thread