What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Nice 5 miles for my last run before 40.

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I like having total time, total mileage, lap time and HR all one the screen.

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

I know there are several that like the TomTom
What is your price limit? The Tom Tom is only $100 and may get you what you want. The polar M400 does 4 data fields (and a nice return to start feature). The 310XT also does (and does lots of other stuff, but is a bit bulkier than some). I'm sure the running Garmins (620, etc.) will do what you want, but $$$.

Or maybe a refurbished 610 for $120?

Lots of choices out there.
If its just a GPS/HR monitor...price limit is probably $150 right now. Just not sure at this point how much more serious training I am going to be doing going forward. I like that now I run because I want to...not because I have to for some event.

I up that price range if there are other capabilities (like the VivoActive...being able to sync with my phone into a smart watch as well as having the GPS and HR capabilities)

That 610 looks good...have been looking at the Garmin factory outlet on some refurbed 405 and 110 I think...but they look like they only do 3 fields...the more I think about it...the more my need for 4 fields is dwindling. It is a prefernce...but for what my training mostly is, I don't know that I need to have my total time there during a run. More interested in my lap, HR, and distance.

Just things I am looking at.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just 31 miles for me this week. After's Thursday's treadmill 5K, my Achilles/heel that was bothering me a little started bothering me a lot. I took an extra day off, cancelled a long run and have ran easy the last few days. It's better, but there is still lingering tenderness. With two weeks before my first 5K, I see little upside in being aggressive with it so I think this upcoming week will be an easy one. I have a new pair of shoes which should also help.

Quality, not quantity this week. Same number of miles (19), but a better overall week.

Monday- three mile recovery run after a solid seven Sunday, only real tough aspect was all of the snow drifts I needed to jump

Wednesday- four miler, pushed it a little bit. Ran into some rough, unshoveled terrain mile two which wiped away energy for a strong finish but I was able to maintain a sub eight minute pace despite it.

Saturday- 9 snow covered hilly trail miles, best run of the year so far. Took an hour twenty with three miles under 7:30.

Today- didn't really know what I wanted to do when I headed about, but a half mile in I decided to test my hand at speed intervals. With all the snow that has came down and is coming down? That was a lot of fun. I held a sub six minute pace for more than five minutes at one point, then closed with several shorter bursts at the same pace.

Very solid week. I don't think I'm going to beat my five mile St Pattys day time from last year, but the last two weeks have me slightly more optimistic I can if the weather holds race day.

Juxt sorry to hear about the achilles/heel, get some rest.

MAC- you have some serious talent I would love to see what you could with some more miles.

Had a decent week with zero miles on the treadmill.

Mon AM 6 at 8:37 140, PM 4 at 7:57 147
Tue 15 at 8:04 142, I was happy this run considering I went out of my way to run a hilly route and felt strong throughout. It did beat up my quads though and I am still feeling the effects today. I need to run more hills.
Wed 6.5 at 8:38 139
Thur 12 with 7 at tempo
6:35 167, 6:38 170, 6:36 171, 6:35 170, 6:34 172, 6:31 171, 6:26 173.
Fri OFF
Sat 22 at 8:11 141
Sun 5 at 9:10 135

70 for the week and 263 for the month

Just 31 miles for me this week. After's Thursday's treadmill 5K, my Achilles/heel that was bothering me a little started bothering me a lot. I took an extra day off, cancelled a long run and have ran easy the last few days. It's better, but there is still lingering tenderness. With two weeks before my first 5K, I see little upside in being aggressive with it so I think this upcoming week will be an easy one. I have a new pair of shoes which should also help.
Freshness over fitness at this point, just make sure you're as close to 100% as possible race day.

Freshness over fitness at this point, just make sure you're as close to 100% as possible race day.
Yes, I agree. I've had Achilles problems so many times over the years that I'm not too worried about it. More annoying than anything else.

MAC- you have some serious talent I would love to see what you could with some more miles.
I have consistency issues. My primary goal for this year is to become a quality distance trail runner. I figure if I have issues staying focused running distance on the road that maybe that issue can be masked if I do more on trails. I did better on the road last year than previous years, but I hit a wall during fall training. Trying something a little different this year.

Saddling up to start back again tomorrow (been off this whole last week). It's felt like forever and I'm not sure how much progress I've "lost" in this week. I don't think I should pick up where I left off. Maybe go back to the week prior and do that plan and see how it goes?

Saddling up to start back again tomorrow (been off this whole last week). It's felt like forever and I'm not sure how much progress I've "lost" in this week. I don't think I should pick up where I left off. Maybe go back to the week prior and do that plan and see how it goes?
Pick up where you left off. From my experience that week off is often a good thing, even though it doesn't seem like it until after you're back at it. You're refreshed now. If there is any sort of unusual discomfort, during or after, the first one back then re-eval but I'd just start off as you were.

Week 6. According to the Higdon plan, a couple of rest days this week. Another good "progress" week:

Monday: Off. Had some minor surgery, so didn't want to do anything that would get my HR higher than it needed to be.

Tuesday: 5.46 Mile Run. 147 HR. 10:57 Pace. First easy run with a pace in the 10's. Progress.

Wednesday: 4.34 Mile Pace Run. 168 HR. 8:53 Pace. First pace run in the 8's at that HR. Ran a similar distance and HR on Saturday and was at 9:05.

Thursday: 4.55 Mile Run. 149 HR. 10:51 Pace. Progress again. Good to see another easy run stay in the 10's for pace.

Friday: Off

Saturday: Supposed to be off. Ran due to weather coming on Sunday. 5.52 Mile Weird Run. Was supposed to be a 10K race pace run, but snow was falling, and speed was a worry due to slick sidewalks. Started off deciding to do just a slow run, but could never keep the HR down. Was sitting at the low 150's for two miles, then just decided to open it up to race pace the rest of the way. So miles 1-2 I was in no-mans land: 150HR, 10:39 Pace. (which I was really excited about honestly.) Miles 2 to 5.52: 170HR, 9:40 Pace. I had 234 feet of elevation over this segment, so I was coming out of a valley most of this part. Overall pretty pleased with this run today. Adjusted on the fly and tried to make the best of what my body was telling me.

Sunday: Off. 25 Hill Repeats in 60 minutes. (hauling kids sleds up a hill.) :D

So mileage wise: 19.57. Not many, but a step-back week on the Higdon calender.

Good progress again this week. Extremely happy right now. I have also been doing core exercises for the last 45 days, 5 to 6 days a week. The fat burning on me is noticeable - I think I am at my race weight now, still 6 weeks out. Can probable trim even another 5 pounds before then. Pretty pumped.

Dang pbm, nice week and month! That's solid volume.

Way to keep at it, Chief. I'm sure that progress you've started to see is a big boost.

And I feel like I've said this 20 times this winter - much respect to those of you getting it done in the cold and snow, whether it's out in that #### or on the treadmill.

Decent week for me, although I only got in 4 runs instead of the 5 I try for. Yesterday I blew off the scheduled run to take the girlfriend out cruising around the coast, drinking wine and eating oysters. Gotta keep the lady happy. As for training, one of the highlights was that downhill workout on Wednesday pounding hard down 1,400'+ over 3+ miles. One of the things I love about downhill work is you know the next day if you pushed it hard enough - and my quads were "good sore" for 2 days. Mission accomplished. I capped off the week today with 15 relatively easy (1,550' elevation gain) out at the same amazing spot on the coast I went last weekend. I have work events and travel this coming week that will make it tough to get much in, but with a 50K next weekend this will work as a nice mini, 2-week taper.

Pick up where you left off. From my experience that week off is often a good thing, even though it doesn't seem like it until after you're back at it. You're refreshed now. If there is any sort of unusual discomfort, during or after, the first one back then re-eval but I'd just start off as you were.
I barely made it through that week...perhaps you're right. It's not all lost if I have to burn a week figuring out where I should be.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it! We just got snow/ice in my area, but I am going to get outside and do some test workouts soon to see where I am.

:thumbup:

The hip soreness I mentioned in my last post has gone away, so I suspect it was in fact more run-of-the-mill soreness than a potential injury. So other than some nagging plantar fascitis that I can keep at bay with good stretching, things are looking up heading into my first 5K.

And on the birthday note...will be getting a new watch soon. My 305 hasn't been able to keep any more than 40-50 minutes charge...now lately it has had trouble even taking a charge at all.

Think I am ready for a change...but looking around, trying to figure out if any options allow for 4 data fields on one screen like the 305 can?

I could probably do without if I needed to...but that is one thing I really like.

Had been thinking about waiting for the VivoActive...but looking at it, Im not sure its what is best for me (and the way it sets out the data looks odd to me too).

Is it all just something you get used to no matter what? I may be able to get by with only 3 data fields I guess...another thing to get used to thouh.

Just wondering.

What is your price limit? The Tom Tom is only $100 and may get you what you want. The polar M400 does 4 data fields (and a nice return to start feature). The 310XT also does (and does lots of other stuff, but is a bit bulkier than some). I'm sure the running Garmins (620, etc.) will do what you want, but $$$.

If its just a GPS/HR monitor...price limit is probably $150 right now. Just not sure at this point how much more serious training I am going to be doing going forward. I like that now I run because I want to...not because I have to for some event.

I up that price range if there are other capabilities (like the VivoActive...being able to sync with my phone into a smart watch as well as having the GPS and HR capabilities)

That 610 looks good...have been looking at the Garmin factory outlet on some refurbed 405 and 110 I think...but they look like they only do 3 fields...the more I think about it...the more my need for 4 fields is dwindling. It is a prefernce...but for what my training mostly is, I don't know that I need to have my total time there during a run. More interested in my lap, HR, and distance.

Thanks for the post.
Look at the Polar. $160 and it does a lot of stuff. And the watch itself is pretty slim - looks pretty nice.

I feel like the strange cousin in here these days. Only one run last week and managed to pop my calf doing it (minor as I took care to limit things). 115 miles on the road with my first hard ride of the season today. Crushed some PRs on two of the major climbs around here - by 10%. Now I just need to train up and grow 20 more watts and lose 20 more lbs.

You know, an easy order to fill. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Just wondering.

Thanks for the post.
Look at the Polar. $160 and it does a lot of stuff. And the watch itself is pretty slim - looks pretty nice.
Ive started looking at it.

Part of the problem is I am very meticulous about this stuff and take forever reading reviews and figuring out what is best for me.

Naperville Paddy's 5K?

So pushed up to 2.5 miles today but couldn't maintain the 10 per pace. Ended up at about 10:25 per. Still, have to continue to push my fat ###.

I barely made it through that week...perhaps you're right. It's not all lost if I have to burn a week figuring out where I should be.
Well, that sucked. I'm going to redo my week 4 this week. I couldn't get through it today...wasn't close. Felt good to get going again though.

Naperville Paddy's 5K?
Yes. Why? Are you thinking about running it?

Naperville Paddy's 5K?
Yes. Why? Are you thinking about running it?
I don't think this year. I'm capable of running 3 miles now - not worried about that, but I'm still easing back into things. We've got company in town that weekend, so it will be tough to just pop out there for as much as I like green beer. I did 3-4 miles on Saturday and 2 miles this morning.

So pushed up to 2.5 miles today but couldn't maintain the 10 per pace. Ended up at about 10:25 per. Still, have to continue to push my fat ###.
It'll come! Good that you pushed your limit.

Commish - be patient ...we all have our ebbs and flows.
Yeah, I just wasn't comfortable. My heart rate (by the treadmill) was lower than before, but I'd get winded pretty quick and my legs felt "tired". I asked before about leg workouts, and after this last week, there's no question I need to keep doing them. I was on the right path, so that makes me feel good about where I'm headed.

It'll come! Good that you pushed your limit.

Commish - be patient ...we all have our ebbs and flows.
Yeah, I just wasn't comfortable. My heart rate (by the treadmill) was lower than before, but I'd get winded pretty quick and my legs felt "tired". I asked before about leg workouts, and after this last week, there's no question I need to keep doing them. I was on the right path, so that makes me feel good about where I'm headed.
Just keep going. You're doing great. :thumbup:

Nice.

Don't worry about the pace going up or down on a daily basis. This will happen every once in awhile, because some days are really good and some days just aren't. Getting out there and doing the work is what matters.

I asked before about leg workouts, and after this last week, there's no question I need to keep doing them. I was on the right path, so that makes me feel good about where I'm headed.
My guess is leg strength isn't really the problem. Besides, the best leg workout for running is running. But, then again, what do I know? I'm lugging around 50-100 lbs. less than some of you guys.

Nice.

Don't worry about the pace going up or down on a daily basis. This will happen every once in awhile, because some days are really good and some days just aren't. Getting out there and doing the work is what matters.
:yes: which is one of the biggest benefits of using HR and not pace.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I asked before about leg workouts, and after this last week, there's no question I need to keep doing them. I was on the right path, so that makes me feel good about where I'm headed.
My guess is leg strength isn't really the problem. Besides, the best leg workout for running is running. But, then again, what do I know? I'm lugging around 50-100 lbs. less than some of you guys.
I think leg day may help with staying healthy, but it's just a hypothesis based on observation and practice; nothing scientific. Would like to read up on it if someone has done the work though.

All I can tell you is that when I do a leg workout, my legs aren't as tired during my runs as if I don't do anything with my legs but run. It is turning out to be the exact opposite as I thought it would be, but I'm going with it for now.

I feel like the strange cousin in here these days. Only one run last week and managed to pop my calf doing it (minor as I took care to limit things). 115 miles on the road with my first hard ride of the season today. Crushed some PRs on two of the major climbs around here - by 10%. Now I just need to train up and grow 20 more watts and lose 20 more lbs.

I feel so inadequate. Our local Cat 1 guy's stats for this week were 49 hours riding for 700 miles with 122k feet of climbing. He's ridden 4,300 miles so far this year.

Oh, and in the middle of this weekend (in which he rode 370 miles) he raced our local warmup races with the other Cat 1-3s. And won.

:bag:

I feel so inadequate. Our local Cat 1 guy's stats for this week were 49 hours riding for 700 miles with 122k feet of climbing. He's ridden 4,300 miles so far this year.

Oh, and in the middle of this weekend (in which he rode 370 miles) he raced our local warmup races with the other Cat 1-3s. And won.

Pfffht. He rode about 14 mph (with a couple hills thrown in). Despite his obvious inadequacies, it sounds like (trying to) ride with him will help you improve. And that's a good thing!

So the guy has too much time on his hands and is clearly trying to fill a void in his life.

And has an intimate relationship with his saddle.

Meh. I feel inadequate every time I post my weekly training in here.

So the guy has too much time on his hands and is clearly trying to fill a void in his life.

And has an intimate relationship with his saddle.
He's a college professor. You know, one of those guys...

Good to see we're getting some biking/triathlon questions mixed back into the new thread. As usual, I read them in my Charlie-Brown-teacher voice.

Our local half is on May 2, so I figure it is about time to start getting back into shape. Over the past several months (off-season for this part of the country), I've been doing 35 mpw -- three 5s and two 10s. Moving back into training mode is going to give me the following:

Sunday -- Long run. Yesterday was 12. I should get to 15 on the 22nd and I'll just keep it there with a cutback mixed in every few weeks.

Monday -- 5 recovery.

Tuesday -- 10 MLR.

Wednesday -- SRD.

Thursday -- Tempo. This week will be 7 with 4 at LT, building to 9/6. Probably I should swap this for intervals from time to time; not sure if I will or not.

Friday -- 5 recovery.

Saturday -- SRD.

I don't have any particular goal time for the half. A new PR would be nice (1:41:09) but I'll have to see how training goes first.

WTF is going on here?!
who's the new guy?
Hahahaha. Very funny. ;)

Running is still pretty low on the priority list, and the fact that February was Milwaukee's 6th coldest on record didn't help. 48 days to go until Boston, and I'm pretty much doing the bare minimum necessary to get me ready. Went out last night and survived 18 cold, dark, miserable miles at 8:13 average pace. Hoping to do my first 20-miler this coming weekend, but it'll probably get pushed out until Monday because we're so busy again.

We're moving in together on later this month, so I don't see things settling down anytime soon. On the plus side, she gave me my belated Valentine's Day gift last night....she worked with her photographer friend and gave me one of those boudoir photo albums. :excited: :wub: :pickle:

(And yes, I know.... :useless: )

We're moving in together on later this month, so I don't see things settling down anytime soon. On the plus side, she gave me my belated Valentine's Day gift last night....she worked with her photographer friend and gave me one of those boudoir photo albums. :excited: :wub: :pickle:

On behalf of all of us that are your FB friend you blow goatsCongratulations, still hate you but congrats

WTF is going on here?!
who's the new guy?
Hahahaha. Very funny. ;)

Running is still pretty low on the priority list, and the fact that February was Milwaukee's 6th coldest on record didn't help. 48 days to go until Boston, and I'm pretty much doing the bare minimum necessary to get me ready. Went out last night and survived 18 cold, dark, miserable miles at 8:13 average pace. Hoping to do my first 20-miler this coming weekend, but it'll probably get pushed out until Monday because we're so busy again.

Glad things are going well for you! :thumbup: Sounds like we're in a similar boat, running-wise. I'm getting nervous about Ice Age.

I'm under a ton of pressure/stress at work.... I've really come to realize just how important running is to my mental health. I'll leave my desk to go for a run and I'm stressed to the hilt, but after a quick 6-8mi run, I'm good as new. Running is like breathing to me.

Sounds like we're in a similar boat, running-wise. I'm getting nervous about Ice Age.
If it helps, our new place has a private rooftop deck with a hot tub and a 60" outdoor TV. And a LOT of cold beer for after the race. :)

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread