What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

Stop the Bleeding 5k - Quiet Waters Park Annapolis

Race report almost as long as the race...with a surprise ending!

Small 5k/10k for hemophilia fundraising, well run and extremely nice folks.  Paved trail winding through the woods type course. Was up at 442 for a race about 20 mins away so I watched a Forged in Fire, bathroomed a few times, kids wake up stuff was good to go around 715. Took a long walk around and jog/walked back. Was not concerned  about my back if I had time to warm up and that was the case. Found a nice porto out in the middle of nowhere so I had a last pit stop and headed to start.  Target was sub 23 which without any 5k race experience was a swag based on a lot of mid run tempo miles but not necessarily ~3 at that pace. 

Mix of young kids and walkers so I got up front with the track kids and other people trying to avoid the kid jam. Oriole bird started us off (not much for that bird to be excited about at the stadium this year) and I took off with the rabbits to get away from the kid crowd prior to the curve into the woods in about 100 yards.  

Mile 1 

Crowd quickly thinned out and I was with a couple dudes for first quarter mile. They faded and I realized I was still under 7 min pace which was too fast. Felt great but tried to ease back a tad. Mile marker comes up before I expected and threw me off a bit. I knew I was going too fast. 

Mile 2 I was ahead of another guy who probably led me to stay too fast here. Started really feeling it here and the slow down started. See you later I says to the guy as he pulls away.  Got chicked by who I assume won the women’s race and thankfully this mile come to and end. At this point I’m sort of glad I started faster than I should have bc it was joining to suck either way. Every curve or little incline took me to what felt terrible and also seemed like a huge slowdown. I had to decide I was not going to let this completely slip away into a race of a 7mm and two 8mms. 

Mile 3 this is what I paid pay for. Pain, regret, bargaining all happening as I try to focus on cadence staying up and listening for the finish line.  Heard footsteps that woke me up but they stayed on for the 10k at a split so no more getting passed. Emerged from the woods and pushed the finish. That felt good. Having just read (skimmed) the book “Endurance”, i wish I could have made myself push that hard earlier and longer. More training and tempo work will help me hold on in the future.  Finish time has me stoked but will always think of it as a short course so it’s got an * in my book. Will see what other people on strava measured at. I was free of people to allow me to runthe curves as efficient as I could so some measurement and wooded gps factors would make some sense. 

Went in with my back strain on the right track and coming out with it still good. Something I will need to be aware of but a non factor other than forcing a better warm up and more stretching and core work. I am very excited to try another 5k in a couple weeks in the early part of base weeks in my Hansons beginner marathon plan ?

Very good race venue and I will maybe even drive down and run the park in the future. 

Didn’t hang out so I just hazard a look at official results and see I won the 40-44 group at 22:05 official and 8th overall. So I got that going for me which is NICE - talk about small race age group luck!  And in classic me fashion, I wrote my name sloppy on the race day registration form so it’s misspelled on the finisher list  :wall: :)
Awesome. Can't believe you haven't done a 5K before. That 3rd mile pain is so bad... Great job! 

Walmsley now 18 minutes ahead of record pace and 28 minutes up on 2nd place at Mile 61.5.  

Also Wonder Woman Courtney Dauwalter closes the gap and is just 8 minutes behind the women’s leader at Mile 48.

i think these two are getting it done this year.  Man, I can see why @SFBayDuck is missing this thing this year.  

Walmsley now 18 minutes ahead of record pace and 28 minutes up on 2nd place at Mile 61.5.  

Also Wonder Woman Courtney Dauwalter closes the gap and is just 8 minutes behind the women’s leader at Mile 48.

i think these two are getting it done this year.  Man, I can see why @SFBayDuck is missing this thing this year.  
True about Duck, but he's not missing the repeat of the 100 degree temps, I'm sure.  Brutal stuff.

How many of you have gotten into, then out of, then back into long distance stuff? 

Just looking ahead I don't think I'll be doing any full IM, probably not any halves for the next few years. But then maybe get back into long trails or tri when the kids are older. 

But there's still the desire to do an ultra, just not the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of you have gotten into, then out of, then back into long distance stuff? 

Just looking ahead I don't think I'll be doing any full IM, probably not any halves for the next few years. But then maybe get back into long trails or tri when the kids are older. 

But there's still the desire to do an ultra, just not the time.
I have my first HIM in August.  I have only done sprints and Olympics; and 2 half marathons. 

gianmarco said:
Awesome. Can't believe you haven't done a 5K before. That 3rd mile pain is so bad... Great job! 
Yeah weird it took this long. I stumbled into running as part of a marathon relay team so I needed to run ~6+miles and after that a local HM got me going longer.  

:football:

Was there a significance to the distances? 4.5 miles seems different.
:shrug:   The lake sets up very well for the 700m swim (head out, circle a small island, and return), so maybe with that more-than-a-sprint swim, they just made the whole thing a bit longer than a sprint.  The event was extremely well run, and each leg was laid out very well.

On your earlier question: I've bounced in and out of various distance events through the years.  While the kids were growing up, I used my early years at the university (with pool and track access) to train for an Olympic tri each summer, and upped that to some Half IMs about ten years ago.  With thoughts of an IM, I then ran a marathon and ended up in primarily marathon mode for several years.  Now I've been back in winter tri-training as I kill time for 2-3 years until a fresh assault on Boston.  I've enjoyed the mix, and the body and mind have responded well to the variety and change in focus.  One thing I did notice was the loss of core strength during the long spell of running-only years.

OMG this post is long. TLDR it’s over. 

Garmin link:  https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2800934842

RR - bitter sweet 3rd place podium. Really not happy with the race but looking forward to moving on.

Didn’t sleep well, hard time getting to sleep as I kept waking myself up. Woke up once or two twice. 2nd wake up I thought my alarm was about to go off. Looked over at the clock and it was 345, sigh. 

The morning was pretty good. Poo situation was a little streaky, so I was on guard. Yummy steel cut oatmeal cooked in apple cider night before. Mixed with almond butter, maple syrup and milk. Half a cup of tea and was all ready. 

Arrived at PPU 630, got my gear and location and setup. Had a decent poo before going out for the run warmup. Run warmup was s little off. Felt some burps come up with reflux, tasted nasty. Got on the bike for a quick tool around. That felt great so I was mentally in a good spot. 

The the swim warmup is when it started.  I noticed the buoy’s were a lot farther out. I mean, not a big deal a longer swim is in my favor, however I was planning to sprintto the first one to separate myself. It looked at least 50 yards farther. Started the warmup with the same goggles, same setup, same same as the past month. Google started immediately leaking. Not a huge deal to fix, but mentally you don’t want to be worrying about that before the race. Everything should be dialed in. Fixed all that, got my strokes in and was ready. 

Bang goes the gun, and we are off. Plan starts off pretty good. Am sighting well, stronger swimmers are passing me as I swim rather hard. Started pacing another guy like a few feet to my left. Was perfect as we were both sighting strongly and I could sight directly from him to my side which made me feel comfortable. 

Then it happened after the first buoy. Caught up to 2 dudes who pincered me. Literally I was between them and then they would converge and both bump me. WTF. I try to settle in but can’t. These guys can’t sight and I can’t figure a way around them. I try to just manage it and it isn’t working. They are not slow, so it would have been hard to pass. Should I decide to cut around one of them it might have cost me a bit of time. I finally get on the right of the right one, mr red Tri suit no wet suit and start passing him. He then starts coming my direction. Again, WTF. How the course it setup there is literally a floating dock not 20 yards from us. Ow he is heading me right into. I literally stop swimming and tread for 5 sections to visually inspect my options. If you click on the garmin swim HR portion you can see the dip. I proceedto now go behind him and start passing him. You know how this ends ... pincer. God ####### damnit. I deal with this for a short period of time. I can tell I’m elevated HR due to the situation and stress of it. I’m not dialed in. I’m not smoothie or fluid. My options are to push really hard or give up more time. 

I decide to try to pass these guys. I go straight through the pincer telling myself that I’m going to kick as hard as I can and if they get some feet in the head, well then that’s how it plays out. In all seriousness I try hard to be courteous swimmer, and I know a lot of folks don’t. So I push pass these guys and I literally feel like a hotdog being pulled from between the others in the pack. I get by them by I’m pegged HR. I try to keep up the pace but I definitely went way hard. 

I get out of the water and notice my time is like 1.5 minutes slower than last year. I’m thinking my estimate of the distance increase was right. I’m pretty sad at this moment. 

This course has about .4 mile run from the pond back to transition. I get my sneakers on and jet up back up. If you look at my HR (from TrainingPeaks) during this time it’s telling. Way too hihigh, avg 183 high 191. That’s basialy the same HR for the entire run leg.  When I got to my gear I knew my only goal was to figure out how to lower my HR. BTW - the bike log starts with a straight up hill. 

My goal of the bike was not to kill myself and save some for the run. You will see in my post analysis I think this was a mistake. Or at least I didn’t pace my bike properly. 

I felt so good on the bike. Hard, but strong. I kept my cadence high, hit the hills hard. I paced myself to have my pushes at the end and the plan worked. However, I didn’t over exert at all and focused on bringing my HR down. I still had 30 to go. I got passed by a bunch on the bike and only passed some. I knew this wasn’t a good sign. I stayed under control and focused on the plan. 

I felt good in the areas I was supposed to when I was pushing hard.  High cadence, I think I averaged 90 for the race which is 5 up from my average.  THat felt good.  While you won’t see it on the results thanks to my apparently broken 920xt, the bike is like 800’ of climbing in those 10 miles.  Quite a lot of work for the short course.  

The run was paced well.  I would have liked to have run faster but I really haven’t focused anything 5k with any specificity over the past 6 months.  What I do know is I suffered good on the run, but I prolly could have suffered a littler more.  I wasn’t sure how much more I could push it, when it was over I knew.  I didn’t get passed by anyone in my AG.  It kinda sucked they wrote ages on the side of the leg, so when I saw someone I didn’t know if I needed them or not.  Regardless I passed everyone who I saw.  Was nice to catch 5-10 of them.  I got passed by a like 2 but all 0-17 AG.  Overall I’m happy with the run as I suffered enough with a an average HR of 183.  I pushed it at the end but kept looking back and saw no one.  BTW that’s when I knewi was racing this race for the wrong reasons ...

NOTE one of the pincers was a 0-17.  I could tell by the Tri suit he swam with.  I passed him like mile 2 and it made me feel guilty good.

So this race race was a new experience for me. You always read that the swim can’t win it for you, but is can lose it for you. If I had to do it over, when I get into this situation again, I think I will commit early to passing this bull#### pincer crap. I’d rather over heat with more time to recover and have the peace of mind not being in that situation and just focusing on my swim. I probably should have been a bigger **** and I didn’t.

The other lesson for me mentally is I would rather suffer and crumble on the run then be light on the bike.  Straight up mentally right now. I need to learn to suffer more on the bike and I haven’t yet. This isn’t specific to racing a good race this is more specific to learning how to bike hard. 

In the end I got my stupid podium. I told myself 2 years ago I would do it and I did. It was stupid and I hate sprints. But it’s done, time to move on. 

Overall race was disappointing, really in the bike.  I have a lot of work to do in 8 weeks, but the HIM will be a completely different menatality which I know will be more mentally enjoyable.  

Right now I’m sitting on my deck in the sun with my cigar and beer.  I’ll be cooking steaks in a few while redefining the military pincer strategy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really glad you got your podium, @JAA. Sorry you seem disappointed with some of it but hopefully you'll look back at it better as you get some more time to digest. 

Congrats... You put some amazing work into it.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
You tri guys are sick -  awesome work @JAA and @tri-man 47 - I sat by a pool today ? and ate tacos. 
I got a massage. First one since I started running.

I'd like to say I had it even easier than you but the truth is that it hurt more than my 5K last week. She found spots on my calves, hamstrings, and glutes I never knew existed.

I had no interest in tris due to the swimming. JAAs experience didn't change my mind (!) 

Great race JAA. Congrats on the AG finish. Hope you chased down those pincers in the parking lot. 

Enjoy those steaks and cold ones! 

Twin Lakes Triathlon, Palatine, IL

1:33:31 ...60/329 overall ...3/10 AG

(corrections from FB posting, which was based on race site data (placement list I saw was male only) and info (a posted number of participants - relay, too?))

I was really nervous about the swim early in the week, but I caught the pool three times, which helped a lot to get my rhythm back, and I saw a video from a prior year showing swimmers starting 2 or 3 at a time every few seconds ...so no mosh pit start.  Plus we'd seeded ourselves by estimated swim time, which makes so much sense.  The race started at 6:30 a.m., which meant a very early morning, but it also meant race completion before the day heated up.  

As expected, I didn't sleep well, and the alarm got me up at 4 a.m.  Not too bad, though.  I immediately ate (banana and small bowl of oatmeal), took care of a few loose ends with the packing, then took care of business.  On the road by 4:50 a.m.  I was incredibly calm during the drive to the race site.  Arrived there around 5:25 a.m., so plenty of time.  I was a real pee-pot this morning, so caught a porta-potty right away.  The transition area was really spread out.  I found the ropes for my block of numbers, dropped off my bike and gear, and headed over to body marking and to pick up the ankle tracking strap.  I followed that with another porta-potty trip, then jogged around for a bit to get the HR going.  About 6 a.m., I pulled on the wetsuit over my trisuit and calf sleeves and went down to the lake for some warm-up.  Did a short out-and-back, which felt very relaxed, stood in the shallows for a bit for another good pee (pulling on the arm holes of the wetsuit to let in lake water to 'flush'), and wandered back to my bike for a final check.  During the walk over to the swim start, I again needed to pee!  But in full trisuit and wetsuit, the best I could do is stand casually and ...go.  Ahhhh.  I waited for a trickle down and out the bottom of the wetsuit, but it never came.   :unsure:   The absorbency of the suits, apparently.  Ew.

Swim - 14:01 ...142/329 ...5/10 in AG

Surprisingly and nicely easy-peasy.  Virtually no contact throughout the swim.  We swam straight out, made a 90 degree turn just past an island, another turn at the other end, and a straight shot home.  My rhythm was smooth the entire time, and I was comfortable sneaking peeks on where I was and who was ahead of me.  No surprise for a short swim, but this all went by very quickly.  On the stretch toward home, I thought of @JAA's advice to crush the last few hundred yards, but I ended up not doing so.  I kind of let myself off the hook because we were going right into the sun and I couldn't see if I had traffic ("pincers") in front of me.  Could I have found two seconds ...or 10-15?  I'm sure I could have.  But I was thrilled to see 13:xx as I stepped out of the water...

T1 - 3:15

...but then I gave a lot of that back on a rather slow transition.  I knew it'd be somewhat slow due to the wetsuit.  But I could have approached this with a greater sense of urgency.

Then a big error: Exiting T1, instead of pushing the 'lap' button, I instinctively pushed the 'off' button, which I realized halfway through the bike.  So I was flying blind during the bike and on into the run.

Bike - 42:16 (19.9 mph) ...86/329 ...3/10 in AG

The mount and dismount (of the bike!) weren't too graceful, but the ride itself was strong throughout and enjoyable.  I typically stay in the big ring and shift between what I'd call gears 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Most of my riding is in gears 4 and 5.  I was a bit worried through the first half that I was having to drop into gear 3 several times on a rather rolling course.  But as I found out halfway through, the whole first half was essentially rolling up, which meant the back half was generally rolling down.  That meant I unexpectedly spent quite a bit of time in gear 6 and was flying along.  Throughout the bike, I was very pleasantly surprised by the number of people I was passing.  Probably as a smaller, more neighborhood'ish type of race there weren't as many fancy bikes (like last year's Half IM).  But I didn't expect to be doing this well.  I know to switch to a faster gear rotation at the end to get the legs ready for the run, but I started this too early.  I could have picked up the 16 seconds somewhere in all this.

T2 - 1:22

I didn't have to do much but drop the bike, grab my fuel belt and bib belt, and go, but this still seemed slow.  In total, the transitions were 30-60 seconds slower than I expected or would have liked.  I did restart the watch so I'd get run data.

Run - 32:40 (7:16/mile) ...35/329 ...1/10 in AG

Speaking of the run ...I was kicking butt and takin' names.   :pickle:   I'd scoped the course via Google Maps, so I knew exactly what was coming.  The start felt awkward, of course, but I knew the feeling was not a true representation of pace.  So I just ran ...and kept picking off people the entire time.  As mentioned, I had a net 46 kills (47/1).  After the race I talked to a guy I'd met before, and whom I passed with 3/4 mile to go, and he said he was going to say something but I went by too quickly.  Even walking back to the car after the awards, a young woman biked by and commented on my run.  Run splits for the four miles and final half were 7:27, 7:21, 7:12, 7:08, and 7:01.  That surprises me.  I did float in and out of some mantras over the back half, and that probably helped.  As hard as this was, the run leg went by very quickly.

So that's it!  I feel really good about the effort and balanced race.  Super pleased to medal in a triathlon (4th place was 90 seconds behind).  This is a race, and race effort, I'll remember for a long time.  The training paid off throughout, and it helped me accomplish my big goal of using the winter to cross-train and not overdo my running for these couple of years.  I don't know what is next.  I'll have a sixteen day vacation in early July, but won't be able to take my bike (though I will do a number of lake swims over the first nine days).  I could consider another tri, or I could just enjoy the training and then select running races and do some medal mongering.  For now, I'll enjoy this one!  

Run - 32:40 (7:16/mile) ...35/329 ...1/10 in AG

Speaking of the run ...I was kicking butt and takin' names.   :pickle:   I'd scoped the course via Google Maps, so I knew exactly what was coming.  The start felt awkward, of course, but I knew the feeling was not a true representation of pace.  So I just ran ...and kept picking off people the entire time.  As mentioned, I had a net 46 kills (47/1).  After the race I talked to a guy I'd met before, and whom I passed with 3/4 mile to go, and he said he was going to say something but I went by too quickly.  Even walking back to the car after the awards, a young woman biked by and commented on my run.  Run splits for the four miles and final half were 7:27, 7:21, 7:12, 7:08, and 7:01.  That surprises me.  I did float in and out of some mantras over the back half, and that probably helped.  As hard as this was, the run leg went by very quickly.
Congrats, I don't know enough about the swimming or biking but I am impressed on how fast you ran this at the end of a triathlon relative to the 5K you ran earlier this month (6:54 pace). 46 kills over a 4.5 miles must have been a lot of fun.

-OZ- said:
:lmao:

Got notified by Strava that I lost my CR, a 0.7 mile stretch on the main road near my house. My time is 4:36. I wasn't surprised at first, there are plenty of people here much faster. 

But....

The new record is 0:54

:ph34r:

I don't remember how to protest on the Android app.
You have to do it on your PC.  Obviously it's someone on a bike.  I've reported several like that.   :ph34r: :shrug:

Also used Flyby to try to see the smoking hot chick (who must be new to the neighborhood) who I've seen on several of my morning runs lately.  Sports bra and booty shorts, and she can pull it off.   :wub:   I'm sure all the soccer moms hate her.  Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be on Strava.   :kicksrock:   Trying to figure out how I can chat her up and maybe gain a new running partner.....I'm sure my wife would really love that.  

I woke up in the middle of the night with knee pain and it was so uncomfortable that I had a difficult time sleeping.  When I went to bed the knee was fine, not sure why it started hurting.  The knee is fine now and I expect to get my scheduled run in tomorrow.  This seems to happen 2-3 times a year, does this happen to anyone else here?

I woke up in the middle of the night with knee pain and it was so uncomfortable that I had a difficult time sleeping.  When I went to bed the knee was fine, not sure why it started hurting.  The knee is fine now and I expect to get my scheduled run in tomorrow.  This seems to happen 2-3 times a year, does this happen to anyone else here?
I've learned IT band tightness can cause knee pain. Possibly related to that?

I find this happens more and more each year as I get older. A few months ago I pulled my groin sleeping.

I've learned IT band tightness can cause knee pain. Possibly related to that?
I think I have had that in the past, but this particular instance it was inner knee pain.  I find it odd that I go to bed fine and wake up with pain.

I find this happens more and more each year as I get older. A few months ago I pulled my groin sleeping.
This is kind of what I am afraid of, that this is going to start happening more often. So far I have been lucky and after a few unscheduled days off I am fine, but I fear that one of these days the pain isn't going to go away.

Users who are viewing this thread