Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

I'm into week 5 of my get your ### off the couch plan. So far it's working. Can see results. However, my motivation is RAPIDLY dwindling. It would be sooo much easier to lounge and have a cold one than drag my carcass to the gym after work. How can I program my brain to equate an hour of cardio with eating an ice cream sandwich, in the next 15min?

• Replies 54.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gianmarco

• ChiefD

• gruecd

• MAC_32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just read through the last few days of posts here, and I don't even know what to say other than that I'm humbled. Tri had given me some updates on @BassNBrew's color commentary and analysis, but all o

Hey guys, I'll write more later, but I'm happy to announce that our baby girl, Lenka Ruby, was born at 5:16pm. She was 6 lbs. 11 oz. and 21 inches. Mom and baby are both doing great. Such an amazing C

Western States "Crew B" and Pacer #1 Report What an outstanding experience!  I flew into Sacramento on Thursday and drove up into the mountains and headed to my hotel in Reno, which is quite a pi

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had no idea that this is what the extra hole at the top of my running shoes was for. Which is helpful for me because I have shoe slippage.

My daughter had shared this with me recently. I get the concept, but my sense is that pulling the laces that tight can hurt circulation. Have you noticed that at all? I might try it with my trail shoes since I have a long trail race coming up.

If I pull it too tight it can mess with circulation/give me a bit of pain, but if I do it just right it keeps my heel from rubbing in my shoe without any downside.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had no idea that this is what the extra hole at the top of my running shoes was for. Which is helpful for me because I have shoe slippage.

My daughter had shared this with me recently. I get the concept, but my sense is that pulling the laces that tight can hurt circulation. Have you noticed that at all? I might try it with my trail shoes since I have a long trail race coming up.

If I pull it too tight it can mess with circulation/give me a bit of pain, but if I do it just right it keeps my heel from rubbing in my shoe without any downside.

:goodposting:

I saw this trick and tried it. The first time is a as too tight and caused me some cramping in my foot. I loosened it up a little bit and really like the result. It kept my shoes nice and tight.

Could not get myself up for the 5:30am wake up call but ran 5,4M in the rain at lunchtime with a couple of coworkers, 7:54 pace with 400 ft of hills, great run.

I had one of the guys wear my TomTom to see if the HR data was accurate for him and it worked just fine. At a loss as to why it's so screwed up for me. Maybe my pulse with the meds somehow doesn't compute as well with the TomTom light technology as opposed to the Garmin strap???

Ya know, I wondered that when you posted your issued but I figured I was just crazy. I wonder if the beta blocker somehow screws with how your capillaries are "showing up" for the light. Did they ever put the one of those finger HRM's on you while at the hospital? I think those use the same technology.

ETA: I believe the chest strap uses electrical activity instead of reading blood volume in your capillaries. So that may explain the difference between the two.

Edited by Ned

I'm into week 5 of my get your ### off the couch plan. So far it's working. Can see results. However, my motivation is RAPIDLY dwindling. It would be sooo much easier to lounge and have a cold one than drag my carcass to the gym after work. How can I program my brain to equate an hour of cardio with eating an ice cream sandwich, in the next 15min?

Everyone's different of course, but eventually you'll probably get to the point where it's a habit and not doing something active makes you feel like ####.

In a way I, and my 3rd son, are lucky - we're ADHD which is treatable through physical activity. So we both feel a whole lot better if we do something active, like running for an hour or five, or in his case, playing in the pool for 2 hours.

I just saw the calendar link from the first post. Is that for anyone to update? I've got 5ks scheduled every month through November, including a mud run in August, and my wife seems to be considering a half marathon in October.

Yup, open to all FBGs. :thumbup:

Cheaha Ultra Ride Report

The ride.

Details:

124.5 miles

8:25 moving time

12,500 ft. of climbing

One pair of torched legs.

:bow: awesome stuff Sand!

any chance they have another ride later this summer (say after the 4th of July) or in the fall?

I've got a lead on a Blood Sweat and Gears ticket for the 4th weekend in June.

That's gonna be the weekend from hell.

Moving truck is supposed to arrive early Friday morning, wife and kids will drive to her parents, I'll stay behind, open the house Saturday for the cleaners, probably drive from noon to 9pm to meet them, we'll drive down that night or early the next morning to paint a few rooms over a couple days, then the truck arrives, they unload and we put the house together.

So totally in for a race that weekend!

Well if you can get away on Friday at a decent time, it's sort of on the way. You're not going to want the movers to take your bike anyway.

FUBAR this is an awesome ride. And BnB has a cool place. If you can swing it this would be a great ride to partake in.

could he put me up after my divorce?

only partly kidding. But we don't even know when the truck will arrive for sure - the truck driver will tell us that when they load. Maybe it would work out.

How close are you two to Madison?

The reason the ticket is available is because the guy who rode it the last 8 years or so got married and riding is no longer on his approved activity list.

I just saw the calendar link from the first post. Is that for anyone to update? I've got 5ks scheduled every month through November, including a mud run in August, and my wife seems to be considering a half marathon in October.

Damn, I've forgotten all about the calendar. I gotta update that thing.

An annual tradition for me the last few years has been to pick an evening in the late spring/early summer when the weather is cool and there are no events on the high school field/track and attempt an all out, fast as I can, one mile run.

The only "PR" I remember from my youth was a 5:45 mile my senior year of high school during that national physical fitness exam. In 2013, I was happy to beat that with a 5:33. Last year I ran a 5:28.

I noticed tonight that the track was free. The temperature was in the low 50s. A reasonably stiff breeze but it was blowing across the field so I figured I could handle that. I decided tonight would be the night. As I was finishing a 2 mile warm-up, I queued up my favorite running song that I posted about. The song is a little over 6 minutes, so I had to start it a little before I began. Finish time: 5:19.3. Damn that's hard!

• Like 12

Added a noncompetitive 5K this weekend. Only my second actual 5K since I took up running and generally started getting in shape last year. I haven't really been training but I've successfully overhauled my lifestyle, run a few times a week for a few miles and hit the gym otherwise. My 2015 running goal is modest: get under 30 minutes for a 5K. I did my first one on Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh in frigid weather and got around 33 (I'd have to look it up.)

Most importantly, at 5'9" I'm down from about 220 or so to under 192 today in about 9 months without any stupid Otis diets. I actually don't look 191, either. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing but add a speed goal now.

• Like 8

Added a noncompetitive 5K this weekend. Only my second actual 5K since I took up running and generally started getting in shape last year. I haven't really been training but I've successfully overhauled my lifestyle, run a few times a week for a few miles and hit the gym otherwise. My 2015 running goal is modest: get under 30 minutes for a 5K. I did my first one on Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh in frigid weather and got around 33 (I'd have to look it up.)

Most importantly, at 5'9" I'm down from about 220 or so to under 192 today in about 9 months without any stupid Otis diets. I actually don't look 191, either. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing but add a speed goal now.

Nice. I think having a race goal is a great way to get into shape. I remember before I was really serious about running, I'd sign up for 10K or something just to keep my running consistent. That kept me motivated enough to get my ### out the front door for a run.

And yeah, if you are continuing to lose weight than you're doing something right. Good luck this weekend. :thumbup:

The reason the ticket is available is because the guy who rode it the last 8 years or so got married and riding is no longer on his approved activity list.

That's just evil. Might as well just leave his #### in her purse.

---

Oh yea, on my end I'm stuck in DC for business, but my hotel has a pool. 1,500 yards done. First time in the pool in 4+ months.

• Like 3

Some good stuff going on in here recently. Summer race season must be approaching.

As for tunes, I'm more a podcast guy until I need a mental lift. But at that point I will at times throw on some tunes, which could range from Public Enemy, Eric B and Rakim, and Ice Cube to Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, and Hall and Oates. I just don't run fast enough very often for aggressive or really up tempo stuff, although Missy Elliot's "Lose Control" is one that will get me moving every time.

:thumbup:

Now imagine how much you'll improve when you stop smoking 4 cigs at a time.

Quicksilver 100K

Aside from my third Way Too Cool 50K back in March, Quicksilver 100K has been the only race on my 2015 calendar. While I have plans to run other ultras this year, probably including a 100 miler in the Fall, the focus was solely on Quicksilver as it was, quite literally, my ticket to the 2016 Western States 100 lottery in December. With a limited number of qualifying races and with many of them hard to get into (I'm 0-2 in the Miwok 100K lottery), what I choose to do the rest of the year was really dependent on getting this race done in the States-qualifying standard of sixteen hours or less.

Unfortunately, some knee pain that started in mid-March really kept me from hitting the key 50-60 mile hilly weeks I had planned for this training block, and over a three-week period from March 16th through April 5th I struggled to get in just under 20 miles per week. I ramped up the visits to my self-proclaimed soft tissue geek for electro-stim/lasers/Graston/chiropractic work, and a couple of 15ish mile runs and a relatively hilly 20 miler in April gave me a little confidence going into a two-week taper.

This was just my fourth race at 50+ miles, and unlike the previous three I was on my own. My girlfriend/crew chief extraordinaire took a pass on this one as her mother was coming into town that weekend from out of the country. I considered putting the word out to some local ultra friends to find a pacer, but decided to take on the challenge of doing this one solo. So after a week of putting together my pace charts, drop bags, and octuple-checking my gear list, I headed down to the South Bay on Friday afternoon to get checked in to the hotel and the race. After picking up my bib and swag and running through my gear one last time, I put down the salmon and rice I brought with me for dinner and tried to settle into the hotel watching some of my favorite ultra-themed YouTube videos. Unsurprisingly I was super-antsy, so I walked over to a local restaurant for a vodka soda to calm my nerves, and found distraction in encouraging someone I met that was getting ready to run the 50K as her first ultra the next day. I'm sure that someday I'll be relaxed enough to get a good nights sleep the night before a race, but this was not to be that night.

I got up before my alarm at 2:30 AM and put down my chia/coconut milk/UCAN shake, brewed some coffee, and headed off to the start. I was there in plenty of time to check in, mill about, talk to a few friends and then get ready for the start. It was a low-key event, with the RD backing us up into a field that served as the parking lot and then saying, "This looks like a good place to start." After earlier signing two additional waivers, we were once again appraised of the three mountain lions that had been recently seen around the course, and then at 4:30 AM we were off!

Per usual I started at the back, and as it was already comfortably warm I threw my long sleeve shirt on the trunk of my car as I went by, and up the trail we went with headlamps bobbing. The race starts with a 1,200' climb over 3.7 miles, some rollers, and then another 1,000' climb into the second aid station at mile 12. I settled into a power hike, passing several people on the climbs (easy since I was the last person to hit the trailhead) and running a bit where I could. The knee was feeling fine, I was hydrating and fueling with Tailwind, Bonk Breakers, and banana chips, and things were going really well. I had set the Virtual Partner on my Garmin for a 15 hour pace, my B-Goal, and I was easily gaining time on that mile after mile. I cruised through the Hicks A/S at mile 7, and hit the Bald Mountain A/S around mile 12 in about 2:38, or sub-12:00 pace, which was well ahead of my 14-hour A-goal pace of 13:30. The sun came up and we were running through the fog and clouds, really comfortable.

The miles continued to tick off pretty well - 10:11, 10:33, 11:29, 10:36. Then into mile 16 we hit the climb to the highest point of the course, a steep 1,200' up to Kennedy A/S over two miles. As this was an out and back section I started to see some of the leaders, and as always the elites and the mid/back of the pack encouraged each other. Then it was a 2,200' drop down into Lexington A/S, and my old nemesis started to make itself known on the downhill as my right IT band began to hurt a bit. I regrouped a bit at the bottom knowing I had to turn around and climb right back up that 2,200', and it was 13:21-21:20 miles as I hiked as best I could. It was a loooong climb, but coming into Kennedy A/S for the second time I was encouraged to have the biggest one out of the way at the 50K mark, and still well ahead of 14-hour pace.

I was surprised to see my buddy Tony sitting in a chair at the A/S, as he's a much better runner than I. Turned out he was having a tough day already with some Achilles pain and stomach issues. He got up and left with me and we hiked for a bit, but he was resigned to dropping at the next A/S - there was no good way to get him out at the last one, so he had to hike 5 miles just to be able to drop. I wished him well and shuffled off again, knocking out four more sub-11 miles despite the worsening pain in my IT band.

Back at Hicks A/S and my drop bag at mile 36 I took the time to re-lube my feet and change socks. Other than the IT band I was feeling pretty good, still eating and drinking, still moving alright, and dousing myself with ice water from my handheld insulated bottle to try and keep cool. We hit my least favorite section of the course here as we rolled into Hacienda A/S at mile 43, but I was still moving ok. I got a good laugh out of a great sign at the A/S, and then it was down and then up a short, steep climb into Mockingbird Hill A/S at mile 42, and my pace continued to slow due to general fatigue and my IT band making it tougher to run the downhills.

About 7 hours in I had switched from Tailwind to water in my hydration pack, and was nursing GUs regularly a nip at a time, trying to almost chew it and use saliva to kickstart the digestion. My nutrition and hydration had been really good and my energy was great....until it wasn't. As the day started to warm (it hit low-80s I think) and we hit the last major climb of the course at mile 43, my stomach simply shut down. We hit a section of trail around mile 45 that was basically crawling and climbing up loose rocks, and I struggled up. I kept taking sips of water and nips of GU, but I could tell nothing was moving through. I tried S-caps to change the osmolality of my stomach, I took some Coke at aid stations at miles 47 and 53, but things were just backing up. As I started to dehydrate and run low on calories, I just got slower and slower. The Enriquita A/S at mile 57 was an out and back, or rather a down and up, and I hit a serious low point. My stomach was done, my IT band was shot, and when I got there they were out of Coke. I filled my bottle with water and hiked back up the hill, running into volunteers coming down with a 12-pack. They offered me some, I took a few ounces, and kept hiking. But as I hit the top, I knew I was in trouble. So I bent over on the side of the trail and puked and puked and puked. Three to four hours of fluid and calories came gushing back out. A runner asked if I was ok, I said, "Just hitting the reset button," and he replied, "Hit it hard!" Totally fitting.

From then on, it was full death-march mode. And my Garmin had died, so I was running blind a bit in terms of time. The sun was going down, it was cooling off and I was taking sips of fluid, but calories weren't going in very well. It was 15-20 minute miles, but at the Bull Run A/S at mile 59 I confirmed that I had plenty time to get in under 16 hours. I shuffled and shuffled, finally hearing the cowbells of the finish line. I managed to put together a jog as I came into sight, and finally crossed the line in 15:17:13, and literally collapsed fifteen feet later, not moving for probably twenty minutes. Not the sub-14:00 I thought I had a chance at earlier in the race (and I know I'm capable of), but well ahead of the 16:00:00 I needed. Most importantly - I'll be in Auburn for my third straight Western States 100 lottery this December!

Edited by SFBayDuck
  • Like 13

Duck - the fact you did this solo just adds to my astonishment. I couldn't imagine doing that by myself. I remember feeling that when seeing solo runners at Ice Age and they were only doing 50K!

:lol: at your least favorite section.

How do you like the KT Tape?

Over that winter I got super lazy. Over the last 5-6 weeks I've been cycling fairly intensely to get my general fitness level back up. I've been consistent about it and feel great. Yesterday, I decided it was time to switch back to running and went for a (very) casual jog around the park near my apt. It's about a 4 mile loop. By the end I managed to tweak one knee, the back of the other knee, and strain my quad. I'm familiar with the difference between good and bad pain, and this is the bad kind. I just don't understand how I could completely break my body on the first run. My pace was that just barely faster than power walking speed. Should be impossible to injure myself at that pace. Must be getting old...

As always, great report Duck!

I just signed up for a 5K for Saturday. I'll try to shave off 9 seconds and break 18:00. I tell myself that's only 3 seconds a mile and less than one second around a hypothetical track, but it still seems daunting and I'm already nervous.

I think this will be my last 5K for the season whether I'm successful or not. I want to transition into longer distances.

Duck - the fact you did this solo just adds to my astonishment. I couldn't imagine doing that by myself. I remember feeling that when seeing solo runners at Ice Age and they were only doing 50K!

:lol: at your least favorite section.

How do you like the KT Tape?

I did miss looking forward to seeing crew at aid stations, and it sure wouldn't have hurt to have a pacer for the last 10 miles in particular. But it was a good experience for me.

I've used KT tape off and on since 2009, when I had some achilles and pf issues after my first ultra. I can't explain exactly why it works, but it does seem to help. This past month has been the first time I've used it on my knees, and this taping was supposed to help keep the patella tracking correctly. Of course by the end most of it was hanging off of me, so it wasn't doing much good at that point.

I just signed up for a 5K for Saturday. I'll try to shave off 9 seconds and break 18:00. I tell myself that's only 3 seconds a mile and less than one second around a hypothetical track, but it still seems daunting and I'm already nervous.

I think this will be my last 5K for the season whether I'm successful or not. I want to transition into longer distances.

Sweet. Good luck this weekend.

I have my first ever 5k on Monday, and have really no idea what to expect, other than run fast and then try and run faster. Shooting for anything less than 24:00 I think.

You got this. Start fast and finish strong! :boxing:

I have my first ever 5k on Monday, and have really no idea what to expect, other than run fast and then try and run faster. Shooting for anything less than 24:00 I think.

Remind me what your some of your fastest training runs have looked like...

I always enjoy a good predict a finish time contest.

Just looked at my calendar, and the fastest I ran 3.1 miles during this last training cycle was 24:33.

Just looked at my calendar, and the fastest I ran 3.1 miles during this last training cycle was 24:33.

What kind of workout was that? Was it a steady pace throughout? Was that a tempo run in the middle of a longer run? Was it in the middle of heavy training week? Details, man...we need details!

Quicksilver 100K

It was a low-key event, with the RD backing us up into a field that served as the parking lot and then saying, "This looks like a good place to start." After

Most importantly - I'll be in Auburn for my third straight Western States 100 lottery this December!

Great report, Duck! I love the first comment above, and I'm excited about the second. With another lottery entry, what are your odds up to ..about 10%? I'd sure like to come out and help crew when you get into WS!

--

mrip - that's odd about your legs from an easy run. It would seem like the cycling would help keep the legs loose, but maybe it's the "intensely" part that did you in. Too much, too soon? And then transitioning to a run on legs that needed rest might have been the final straw.

--

Good luck, Chief (=23:55?) and Juxt (=17:58?)! Juxt, if you need 3 seconds a mile, maybe use each turn on the course for a sharp acceleration/sling shot around the turn to gain those seconds. Drive each turn hard, then settle back into your pace. Or just HTFU and get er' done!

Edited by tri-man 47
  • Like 1

With a 1:49 half marathon, McMillan predicts a 23:33 5K is possible. However, you haven't been training specifically for a 5K, so I think that probably wouldn't be realistic. 24:00 seems like a good, aggressive goal to shoot for.

Edit: The above assumes OK weather and a not too difficult course.

Edited by Juxtatarot

With a 1:49 half marathon, McMillan predicts a 23:33 5K is possible. However, you haven't been training specifically for a 5K, so I think that probably wouldn't be realistic. 24:00 seems like a good, aggressive goal to shoot for.

But should he actually go in with a goal or just let it rip and see what happens? I say the later since he's popping his 5K cherry.

I don't think it works backward like that. When my best 1/2 time was around 1:50, I ran a 22 min 5k. I was training tris at the time and not doing speed work.

• Like 1

I don't think it works backward like that. When my best 1/2 time was around 1:50, I ran a 22 min 5k. I was training tris at the time and not doing speed work.

I ran a 19:45 5K when my half PR was 1:41

The only real hill is at the start and is about a half mile. My plan is to attack that som#####. It's the same one that has wacked me the first HM I had this year, so I have a personal vendetta for that thing.

After that, it's all downhill for the most part until the end. Just wanna have fun with it and see what happens. All I know is I'm guaranteed a PR. :excited::thumbup:

• Like 1

I recall qualifying for Boston in 2012, looking up my predicted McMillian 5K time off that marathon, and trying to run that at my first attempt at a 5K. I ended up blowing up and walking off the course at 2.2 miles.

I would agree, though, that chances are a lot better racing shorter than what you've recently trained for than racing longer. Hopefully his experience is more like yours than mine! :thumbup:

Yeah, but you're an interval running machine!

Yeah, but you're an interval running machine!

Didn't even know an interval was back then. The good old days... Race strategy was run the 5K like your hair was on fire. And it actually worked!

swim day, but after taking yesterday off (not by design, due to work) I did the "competitive" workout instead of the tri-workout I usually do.

500 w/u, 10x50 kick, 300 ez, 20x50 hard (60 second intervals), 300 ez, 12x25 hard, 200 ez

the kick was tough, but got through it, hit the 50s between 41-44 with the last few just under 40. When I pushed off for the first 25 my right calf seized up, big time cramp. Walked it off in the water, went again, another cramp. Decided to do these pull instead, still got a cramp in my right calf but eventually it wore off. Did 6x25, then decided to try the next 6 "normal", did 2 then CRAMP in the left calf. :sadbanana::topcat:

I've treated most swim days as easier days with focus on form, so today pushing it hard for the first time in awhile was too much for the calves. It's funny how I can run or bike a whole lot longer with no issue, but pointing my toes and kicking hard makes me cramp bad.

Lesson learned - don't kick too hard during the 1.2

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

Quicksilver 100K

It was a low-key event, with the RD backing us up into a field that served as the parking lot and then saying, "This looks like a good place to start." After

Most importantly - I'll be in Auburn for my third straight Western States 100 lottery this December!

Great report, Duck! I love the first comment above, and I'm excited about the second. With another lottery entry, what are your odds up to ..about 10%? I'd sure like to come out and help crew when you get into WS!

I'll have 4 tickets in this year, up from 1 in year one and 2 last year. Last year there were 2566 applicants with 6601 tickets total vying for one of 270 spots.

Last year's odds:

1 ticket: 4.7%

2 tickets: 9.3%

4 tickets: 17.6%

8 tickets: 32.2%

16 tickets: 54.0%

32 tickets: 78.8%

I'd expect the numbers to be up from last year, probably at least 2800 entrants for 7000+ tickets, so I'd guess around a 16% chance for me.

When it happens, it's going to be great to have the FBG all-star crew out there with me!

• Like 2

Quicksilver 100K

I'll have 4 tickets in this year, up from 1 in year one and 2 last year. Last year there were 2566 applicants with 6601 tickets total vying for one of 270 spots.

Last year's odds:

1 ticket: 4.7%

2 tickets: 9.3%

4 tickets: 17.6%

8 tickets: 32.2%

16 tickets: 54.0%

32 tickets: 78.8%

I'd expect the numbers to be up from last year, probably at least 2800 entrants for 7000+ tickets, so I'd guess around a 16% chance for me.

When it happens, it's going to be great to have the FBG all-star crew out there with me!

Dang it having to go back to step one.

• Like 1